What happend between Lin Dan and Li Mao?

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by ThinkRiver, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I think this shoving and shouting is going to stir up the emotions and make the sport a bit more interesting. I look forward to the next episode of "LI Mao vs LD/LYB'. :)

2. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Poor Li Mao, he got to lose if he has to fight two strong guys... :cool:

3. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
  4. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Errm...You are really a blind supporter of Lin Dan..Anyway,you are really passionate toward badminton.:D:D:rolleyes:I agree that he should protest but not this way.

5. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

His expression on his face after his shoving and shouting with them showed he was disturbed.:D But his 'high five' with Lee Hyun Ill at the end was what counts - nothing else matters.

6. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Bad news!!!

I heard from "unofficial sources" that Referee had made a full report about the incident and it seems that BWF may call LD/LM for a hearing....sigh!! just like they did on TH's Walkout from HKG open....TH was charged for bad behavior last time....sad day!!

7. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

Wow to the Korean line judges, They might as well put an "Out" sign behind the korean players and an "In" at the other end to save all the man powers.
    We can argue till the cows come home, but when are they gonna put the technologies into plays. Start with some video cameras at every corner for God's sake.

Keep the coach away from court, and shut up while games is on and start to make rules disallowing players crashing, throwing racquet, kicking shuttler and most importantly walking out of the court(other side of the net too!) and drinking area or punish them with marks.

Feel free to single out Malaysian fans, calling them names in particularly just because you went into arguments with some of the biased fans.;). Not the first time from you.
    Just to show you are equally biased.
    Fans are biased against players, some just happens to hold the same opinions with some biased fans, some fans then are biased against biased fans, and some are biased against whatever comments that seems create some controversy even it is true. We are all biased in some way.
    With all due respect, even Kwun made a mistake about the throwing racquet part but can I blamed him for defending LD blindly, thus calling him biased?
    You would not be happy too if I were calling every Mainland Chinese names just because of what happen in China Open.

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    It was not Hyun Ill's fault. In fact LinDan acknowledged that Hyun Ill played well.

9. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    I remember you, you were the one that in front of all evidence, said that China wasn't guilty of cheating during the Macau Open. Now can you say that China did not cheat in China Open 2007?

10. johnps

johnps Regular Member

Use Umpires To Do the Lines For SS Finals

I feel that BWF should take a large part of the blame. For all SS finals, they should have utilised umpires (who are not umpiring for a particular final) to do line judging duties. They probably need about 6 umpires to do the "crucial" lines.

The umpires will likely do a better job at line judging than local volunteers. This is because the tournament referee can give them a bad performance review if they keep screwing up on their line judging duties. This may affect them being assigned for future SS tournaments.

11. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I disagree with most posts here that viciously attacked Lin Dan and also posts that vehemently defended him. I believe Lin Dan is not a vicious person. He got caught up in the heat of the moment, but this does not relieve him of all the guilt. If he accidentally killed someone with his racket (just a very gross example), any court will throw him to jail.

No matter what verbal exchanges there may be, throwing a racket to the other side of the court (or even to the guilty linejudge) is an act of escalating the violence. Breaking your racket on your own court is your own issue, IMHO.

Don't know what Li Mao said, but whatever he said could also have been said by any member of the spectators. Still Li Mao is guilty of letting the heat of the moment get to him. Luckily he was held off from getting physical.

But the root of the problem: Line-judging bias.
    Possible solutions:
    1) Hawkeye (expensive; you have to install it on all courts and you also need review screens for all courts)
    2) Nationality-neutral linejudges (also expensive)
    3) More leeway for umpires to throw out certain linejudge (very subjective)
    4) Enforce cameras on all lines of all courts (not just TV courts) with feedback to umpire's chair (also expensive and not 100% - visual can be blocked by player's leg -, but more do-able than Hawkeye)
    A lot has been said about this. We await BWF to do or at least say something.

Did the incident tarnish the game? A bit.
    Did the incident heighten excitement? A lot. Everyone loves their McEnroes.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    alright. i think people have already said what they need to say.

we wrap up by saying that LD play LHI in a very tight final match. there were a few overruled line calls which were overruled, however, another happened at the end of the match and LD protested, during which, provoked or unprovoked, he threw a racket across the net to the other side of the court. which leads to violent disagreement with Korean coach Li Mao. after some scuffling, LD was given a yellow card and eventually lost the game and the match.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.