WCH's match must be fixed!

Discussion in 'All England 2004' started by ALI, Mar 10, 2004.

1. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    Hi. After seeing him losing 3-15 3-15 against Hafiz, there is only 2 things that come to my mind:

1. Wong Choong Hann voluntarily lost to him. Since in Malaysia, we know that WCH is a very kind person, involved actively in various charity projects, and basically a very understanding person, he might himself 'understand' the situation Hafiz is in, and thus let him win. He may think that he is already World Number 4, his place is assured, but Hafiz is not, so just let him win. But my question is, if this is the case, does he knows the importance of a good seeding in the Olympics? Isn't a Olympic medal more important than a full (3) entrys in the Olympics?

2. A high possibility is the match has been fixed with Misbun. Considering that Hafiz is his own protege, and considering his aim of attaining full entry in the Olympics, this might be the case. But if this is really the case, I can't imagine how he 'told' Wong Choong Hann to lost his match. I mean, isn't it hard for him to say this out? And what would the players think of him? I'm pretty sure Wong Choong Hann hopes to do well in All England, he has never done well in All England, furthermore, this might be the last All England of him right (considering that most players quit after Olympics)? Hafiz is still young, does it mind if he miss the current Olympics and wait for Beijing 2008 Olympics? This is really a think to ponder on.

No matter who is the one who fixed the match (WCH himself or Misbun), his form in the first match is pretty obvious of this match fixing. His relatively poor form (taking a long time against that Ukrainian player) is more of a psychological problem (he knows that no matter what, the maximum he can reach is the 2nd round), not that he has fell from his top form, in my opinion. What you all think?

To anyone who feel annoyed by my claims, I'm sorry, but this is really what I feel!

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I think he must have injured or something.. no way he is going to give away the match.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ALI, did you watch the match? live? otherwise, why are you so sure?

4. jeicegreen

jeicegreen Regular Member

Wong Choong Hann played for 45minites.

I think that it was long time when it compared in score.

So, I don't think Wong Choong Hann intentionally lost to him.

He must be sick and have bad condition.:eek: :eek:

5. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    No, I didn't watch the match. Well, you may say that I'm making my own assumptions, but I'm pretty sure this is the case (instinct maybe).

Yes, I believe he is injured, but not physically, but rather psychologically (because he knows he can't get pass the 2nd round, due to match being fixed), that explains his poor form in the first round. It's the same thing like, why should I work so hard, when I know it will bear no fruit?

6. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    It make no sense , if like that i might not go to play in All England at all. I will try to ask him what happened.

7. ALI

ALI Regular Member

Student
    Hi Jeicegreen. I think this is just some good acting skills. Surely, he would not want to go to court, and smash everything wide, or hit everything into the net, to let Hafiz win right?

8. klaphat

klaphat Regular Member

Well, I agree with ALI that the result looks very weird..

If injury is not the explanation, I can hardly think of any other explanation than a fixed match..

But I guess we will never know for sure...

9. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

honestly, the 1st thing came in mind looking at the scoreline ws match fixing. hate to think of that. although there are many reasons as to why a player cd go down so tamely, but its really weird considering the recent performance of hafiz. with no disrespect, how often, if any at all, cd hafiz down wong ch so easily? no doubt it's 45 mins, still... maybe wong ws injured, maybe hafiz put down a super performance. anyway, lets see how far can hafiz go and how he fares in the coming games. hopefully he proves us wrong...

10. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

the quarter hafiz is in now is really 'open' with the ouster of bao cl, leaving only anders boesen and ronald susilo in his way. if he really beat no-injury wong ch, he shd at least progress to the semis...

11. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

And maybe Hafiz is playing on absolutely top form to defend his title.
    Defending a title isn't a motivation he's had very often is it?

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Neil, that's true. as most already know, Malaysian players are talented but lack some fighting spirit and motivation. when in the case that they have the fighting spirit and motivation, they can do wonders. a strange team really. maybe they all suffer from ADD or depression.

13. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

true true.... hopefully u guyz r right.. n hopefully wong ch is nt 'suffering' frm lack of motivation ths time rd...

14. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

-

Hate to say this but I have actually heard some internationals

actually admitting that they take turns to win tournaments depending on the draw.

If the draw is bad better to save for another one with a better draw. Otherwise

get injured for nothing and no income.

Even Zhao when ask to comment on Msian players diving all over to retrieve shots mentioned it was a waste of energy.

Badminton is played by pros like tennis so decisions ought to be quite business-like.

Blame it on organisers who allow players opportunity to gang up.

15. jaclyn

jaclyn Regular Member

student
    yup..................i agree with ali
    i think wong choong hann match is fixed!
    although i never watch the match!!!

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I really hope that Ronald Susilo will take this opportunity to prove his worth and give his best for the next match, whoever the opponent. Ron has not been up to expectations so far in the other internationals and a place in the Olympics with a good showing here will be good motivation indeed.

17. sunzhi

sunzhi Regular Member

agree loh... i hv the feeling tht ron shd mk it to the semis... hafiz? mebbe nt...

18. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Read
    http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14141 and you will find out why a lot of the Chinese aren't batting their eyelids... ;)

If it indeed is matchfixing, then I'd say it's badly staged. Last year's world championships runners up, on hot form all year since then, losing to tamely to a struggling player who had just came back from five months of injury.

A 12 - 15, 11-15 score would have looked more creditable. At least that won't look like Misbun doing a Li Yongbo.

And there rationale is there : WCH had qualified, Hafiz needs points. But then again, it is so not him for WCH to just throw it away. I really don't want to think it that way, perhaps he had a bad stomachache from the curry the day before or something...

19. da ding

da ding Regular Member

Student
    this is just a wild guess, but i have heard somewhere that WCH has just switched to using the new gosen aermet 6000 from the cab21 he has been using for heaven knows how long... maybe his early exits in the swiss open and AE can be attributed to him not being totally adapted to his racket?

20. spectra

spectra Regular Member

Student
    i don't think is fix by misbun or wch lost it on purpose...
    dosen't mean he's kind means he'll do this kind of stuff , competition means competition ....
    malaysia's players is not consistant .... some will do good in the tournament but next tourney was shown an early exit...
    it always happen .....
    so was no suprise to me :p