Victor MX80 vs MX70

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Porky, Aug 7, 2011.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

That's a very nice weight balancing between speed and power. My 85.4g 295mm mx80 is fast but just slightly lacks oomph. Yeah, bringing a scale is a good idea. 1g may not feel like much statically, but when swung and accelerated hard dynamically it becomes noticeable in speed and power.

2. awekuda

awekuda Regular Member

Pemukul Bulu
    same feel n crispness. me like :D...... must buy one for tiring hand...1 mx80 for main weapon and 1 mx70 for worst day......sigh...bank account .. please grow faster :(...me need both..mx80 n mx70..

3. samsudd_s

samsudd_s Regular Member

clerk
    very good call for mx70...should i sell off my mx80 and go for mx70??:confused::eek:

after all, i'm BS huge fan...if this mx70 so called BS11 on steroid, i think i must try it :)

4. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Nah, you should keep the mx80, get the mx70, and then do a 3 way review of both rackets along with your previous sw35! :D

5. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    So how was the 2nd outing with the MX70?

6. visor

visor Regular Member

I've been trying to play more games with it in order to adjust to it and give a proper comparison.

Although my mx70 is strung with vs850 and gripped with rkep elite white exactly the same with the same 293mm bp as my mx80, unfortunately it is 2.0g heavier, so a direct comparison is rather difficult. I measured it; the extra 1g is in the head, and the other 1g is in the handle. 1g here and there might not sound like much, but upon swinging and hitting and playing with it, it feels heftier and slower. But I had a feeling it would compensate for this by being more powerful (and I was right.) So, please keep this in mind during the review.

Feel: this is the most noticeable property. The mx70 feels a bit more muted than mx80. It's as if I have a softer more cushiony grip on that filters out some feel. I can still do my touch shots like drops, pushes, netplay, etc, but it requires a bit more focus to feel the shot, whereas the mx80 just shouts at you. :) So that means the harsh and direct feel that I love in the mx80 is due to its extra stiff shaft. I may have to increase tension by 1lb in order to make it feel like the mx80.

Clear: noticeably easier and more effortless with the flexier mx70 shaft than mx80. Much easier to play singles with mx70 than mx80 because of this, where power is more important in singles, and speed is more important in doubles. NB: could also be due to the 1g heavier head.

Smash: noticeably more powerful with less smashes returned. Again could be due to the 1g heavier head. Accuracy is just a tad less than mx80, but much more heavy hitting and more forgiving of mistiming. This is the part I loved most from my mx70. :D

Drop: about the same for both rackets. Accurate placement and easy to fake a smash and do a drop.

Defence: noticeably slower maneuverabililty (dang! that miniscule 1-2g makes a big difference here) but if you manage to get your racket on it, the flexier shaft makes it easier to drive back or lift to baseline.

Drive: just as powerful, but less confident and less accurate and a tad slower in response.

Forecourt and netplay: somewhat slower at interceptions and deceptive plays that require quick wristwork and rapid changes of the racket head face.

Backhand clear: this is the only major downside. Less power, more effort. Need to take a longer wind-up. Which I think is due to the 1g heavier head.

Conclusion: I was very surprised at how it was so difficult to conclude generally due to the 2g difference. For the given copies of mx70 and mx80 that I have, I'm actually quite glad now that I got a heavier mx70 (despite my initial disappointment), because if it was the other way around with a heavier mx80, there's no way my shoulder and elbow can handle both a an extra stiff shaft and heavier racket at the same time!

So final verdict: mx70 is relatively less demanding requiring less effort, but also has less feel and is less accurate,
    all due to a slightly flexier shaft. But I think we all knew this already and had predicted before even it was released. :p :D

7. kenny_eng

kenny_eng Regular Member

Can anyone share the balance point for mx70 for 3U and 4U.

8. ah.b|ack

ah.b|ack Regular Member

Graphic Designer
    Is MX70 stiffer than VT70?? Which one is more head heavier?? 1+ for the balance point for MX70!!!

9. ksquared

ksquared Regular Member

Just got my mx 70. First impression is its alot easier on my arms as opposed to the mx80. Didnt notice my smashes getting weaker, to me its at least as good if not better. Didnt notice any weaker accuracy as well, maybe bcos, my accuracy shots are already very bad!Backhands are certainly easier. Just one minor issue, the hitting sound is not as lively as mx80. Using same strings n tension.Overall, a much easier racquet to play with compared to mx80. But doesnt dislodge my favourite ti 10. Fell in love with it since i got it one month ago! Somehow, everything seem to fall perfectly in place! And its cheaper!!!

10. visor

visor Regular Member

should be about 295mm for both versions, from what i've seen

11. visor

visor Regular Member

A mini update to my comparison several posts up:

Still finding that mx70 feel is more muted despite same setup as the mx80. Definitely due to the less stiffer shaft.

Final decision: the flexier and slightly heavier mx70 is slightly slower and less maneuverable with less feel and less accuracy, but it is a much better weapon than the mx80 for playing with plastic shuttles. Less harshness, easier on the shoulder, much more powerful clears and smashes, more effortless.

Seems like the mx70 is easier to hit at 90% power for twice as long as the mx80, despite the mx80 being able to ultimately hit much harder but more tiring.

I'll be using the mx80 for playing with feather shuttles, as that game requires more finesse and touch shots which the mx80 does much better at.

12. cycilver

cycilver Regular Member

Student
    ok so i folded and bought two mx80s bc ive tried it before and liked it, and one mx70. all 3u, should be arriving friday or next monday xD

inside2.jpg

13. xtorm

xtorm Regular Member

thread is kinda old but related

ok now i got a choice if between 4u mx70 and 3u bs11

seller told me mx70 is faster yet more powerfull, i really like the bs11 but its kinda heavy really, swing is fast ( really like the head speed) and smashes are great

mx70 suppose to be head heavy right? bs11 being even balance....

which 1 should i go for? fast swing and powerfull is my aim...lol

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Between the two you mention, almost the same. But mx70 is stiffer, has better feel and stability, and more powerful. Although it may be just a tad slower, so it depends on your game.

15. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I'd totally go with a 3u BS11 over a 4u MX70.

16. xtorm

xtorm Regular Member

but if the mx70 is 4u?

bs11 will be fast yet powerfull?

17. visor

visor Regular Member

my preference is for the stiffer one, which is mx70, because i find my accuracy goes out the window with flexy rackets which the bs11 is one

however, it'll be a close call between a 3u bs11 vs a 4u mx70 in terms of speed and power and maneuverability

18. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    The problem with the MX70 is that it's just not different enough to the MX80 to warrant it's existence. The MX60 should recify that, but info about how it plays is thin on the ground at the moment because it's so new. I'd still get a 3U BS11 over a 4U MX70 though - if you want a meteor just get the 80 in 4U.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

i play regularly with both a 3u mx80 (dry wt 85.4g) and a 3u mx70 (dry wt 87.4g) both strung with the same vs850 at 23x24lb

and i would say there is a very noticeable difference between the two

due to extra stiff shaft, mx80 transmits more harshness to the hand, is more stable and precise, but is more difficult to access its power. great for flat fast exchanges and defence, but clears and smashes lack that little bit of oomph

due to its slightly less stiff shaft, on the other hand, mx70 is less harsh feeling, is a tad less precise, but is much easier to pound some pretty hard smashes. defence is good, but flat fast exchanges are not as awe inspiring as mx80.

that has been my experience playing with both rackets for the past 4 months.

20. Fzforze

Fzforze Regular Member

Chef
    I do not own a MX70 myself but from what i have found from using my MX80 compared to my N50 and my Z-Slash is that i can definitely get a lot more power out of it because of the stiffness and the stiffness makes it feel more crisp and responsive. The higher flex (trampoline effect) from the Z-Slash and N50 definitly does not suit my style of play but it just depends on the player and if the player can generate enough swing speed to release the potential of the MX80 compared to the other (less stiff) rackets like the MX70. The vibrations i get from the MX80 is barely noticeable and after a week or so of using my MX80 i managed to tame it, and my accuracy and power during rallys becuase of the MX80 was greatly improved and i haven't found any disadvantages of having such a stiff racket, (having never used a racket as stiff as the MX80 before.)