TOYOTA GAZOO RACING Thailand Open 2023

Discussion in '2023 Tournaments' started by Gigabit, May 29, 2023.

1. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

When i was young, i definitely look up to TH. He won WC OG AG but overtime , if you cant win open tournaments - your influence wanes. And in modern badminton these days, its not just OG/WC anymore. As sports modernised, badminton moves just like Tennis. There are some prestige winning it but it really doesnt matter much. It matters more if you can keep winning (like Djokovic). He never win OG but can keep winning slams and ATP1000. No one will care to say anything.

For me, longevitiy is more important these days.

Cheung likes this.
  2. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

you just don't compared tennis and badminton when it comes to OG, it's never comparable. grand slam has always been the most important titles in tennis, while in badminton you know that OG n WC are the most important one, and maybe you can include AE in that as well

pp35 likes this.
  3. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

in the past , yes. These days i feel the definition is more blurred. Like open tournaments are super important. Like if you ask me where to put LeeWang or AaronSoh in the list of of MD greats , i wouldnt even put them above LiLiu or WangLiang. They re basically one hit wonders

I wouldnt even put Taufik above Momota for that matter.

4. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

leewang n aaronsoh definitely a fluke because they don't have any open titles beside their WC/OG titles, but like I said before I'd prefer to win 10 open titles + WC n OG than 30 open titles without any major titles

li liu won the world title in 2018 if i remember correctly

momota won 2 WC titles n AE title, and way more consistent than taufik so it's understandable

5. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Definitely, I think if one can win more than 10SS , then i would say they arent a fluke if they win WC/OG. Its just that sometimes we cant choose what we want to win (ask LCW) - close but no moral victory for that but yeah he won really lots (46SS?)

6. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

remember when china split bao yixin and tang jin hua in 2014 just because they lost in the 1st round of WC ? they were dominant that year yet that 1 loss at the WC changes everything

7. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

LCW came close in so many occassion, runner up in 2008/2012/2016 OG n 2011/2013/2014/2015 WC, I think that achievement also the reason why people respect him so much, especially that he played majority of those finals against prime LD. if he won that many open titles yet couldn't even reach at least 1 OG/WC final I don't think he would have been rated that highly

8. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Definitely. But at that time, they have plethora of talents and BaoTang is still pretty new pair (2013 formed?). I cant remember anyone than AyakaMisaki posing any problems.

I dont think they will really do the same if ChenJia lost in R1 like now WC

9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yes to me , imo thats enough. Its enough to put Lee in hall of fame. But for TH, its not enough. If you dont win, whats your contribution to the country. Thats why Badminton is still such a polarizing when it comes to big events / open tournaments unlike Tennis.

Even though we know no doubt LCW > TH even if you dont count all those runners up just his consistency being so long in WR1 is already enough.

10. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

because chen/jia already prove they can deliver in big events when they won their first world title in 2017 when they were only 20 yo, they also won 2 more world titles since then and were in the olympics final just 2 years ago. if they failed to reach any of those finals you really think china are gonna keep the partnership ? let's be real here

11. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

i honestly wouldn't put lcw about TH if he couldn't at least reach 1 OG/WC final but that's just me ofcourse

12. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

That said , i dont know when CHN will have such visually attractive pair like BaoTang anymore ever again. I think they are the most beautiful pair with another girl forgot her name. WD these days…

13. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Do you think CHN will break WangLiang if they lost in R1/R2 this WC? Or they will stick to them till Olympic?

They might not be WR1 like BaoTang but its about the same time and we know deep down at worst they are WR2 by the time WC starts.

14. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

they will definitely stick to them till the olympics, but if they lost in the earlier rounds both in WC then OG I can definitely see china try some new partnership

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    KOR takes 3 titles.
    CHN takes 1 title.
    THA takes 1 title.

16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Bao and Wang Yi Han are the beautiful ones.

CHN have changed the hairstylist, I think.

-Berg likes this.
  17. lurker

lurker Regular Member

so much OT chats here... hahaha

good discussion, but OT

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    This final day not very exciting.

Come Tuesday, should be at SIN open.

19. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

Jeong/Kim have always been playing second fiddle to Seo/Chae in Korean XD but they are quite frankly more consistent than the latter. Their record against top pairs is far better than Seo/Chae.

20. felipe

felipe Regular Member

finance
    I wont call Tang Jinhua as beautiful. There are other better looking WD players such as Huang Nanyan, Zhang Yawen, Cheng Shu or even Tang Yongshu.