TOTAL BWF WORLD Championships 2018 : Preliminary Rounds (30 July-02 August)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jul 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Liu Cheng!! For once I praised you for doing so well in front of the court!

2. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

What a rally!! My word.. Zhang Nan is so good..!!

Justin L likes this.
  3. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Zhang Nan's backhand drive is quite possibly the best in badminton right now. Unbelievable.

stanleyfm and Justin L like this.
  4. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

It's true though haha But no one has ever succeeded in bringing along so so player to success. As far as I know at least.. could be wrong.
    LYD? Christian Hadinata etc etc haha way way long ago

5. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Liu Cheng has done so well today. (T_T)
    Great rallies by both pairs.
    All the best to Liu/Zhang

6. melon94

melon94 Regular Member

who's the better md player ? zhang nan or lee yong dae ?

7. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Big matches tomorrow. WS matches have 4 matches that can potentially go either way. Despite TTY dominance, i feel its the most exciting sector . do you guys think so?

and i hope HBJ wins. There is nothing wrong giving one title to players who dont win many titles. TTY has won too many titles.

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I wouldn't say LYD dragged anyone through, he had pretty good chemistry with all partners he really had success with. And JJS was a very complete player in his own right, even if not the best around the net - solid, solid defence, and magnitudes better than LYD from the back, they complemented each other well. YYS was a different player, but got good at the fast flat play and service situation when those became so important in MD, although I'll forever remember his horribly high serve :D Ko Sung Hyun got too much in his own head I believe, always trying to rotate to the back and make space for LYD at the front, he played better with his other partners I think. Still a good player and the #1 ranking they held shows it. He was probably most comparable to Liu Cheng of LYD's partners, but LYD never managed to win a WC or OG Gold in MD, whereas ZN managed to do the former with Liu Cheng and the latter with Fu (although I definitely wouldnt say he carried Fu :D).

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Hard to say. In big tournaments, it's definitely ZN. Overall.....its too close to make anything but a personal preference judgement, I believe. At least so far. ZN still has some time to make it very clear, if he wins a couple big titles...I'd say he is the bigger overall talent, as he's been at the very top of both MD and XD, whereas LYD couldn't win too much in XD after that Olympic Gold, which was a tiny bit of a fluke (not a very well-known pair back then, I believe).

10. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

idk who's better, but I personally enjoyed lyd playing style more. everytime he makes that delightful cross court block defense...oh man...beautiful.

ant01 likes this.
  11. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

LYD has been lucky to have many good players for a partner. Too bad he couldn't make the most of it in WC or in OG. He couldn't cover his partners as good as ZN.

ZN didn't carry Fu but he backed Fu up 120% while Fu himself had a lot of bad days back then. Fu was a different player altogether when he was partnered with ZN. I actually enjoy watching him playing more when he was with ZN even though his errors could be so maddening at times. :D

12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

In fact I have implied the other time that JPN has more or less overtaken CHN as the new powerhouse, or at least on the verge of.

nizze likes this.
  13. Queof Artkis

Queof Artkis New Member

I'm so done already by tomorrow WS QF line-up!:eek:
    all the queens and princesses will all come out snatching and slaying! I CAN'T!!!!
    my wish for the semifinal is Princess Akane, Queen Tzu Ying, Empress Nozomi, and the one and only QUEEN Carolina.:):cool:

and I'm pleasantly surprised by Anggia/Ni Ketut today, altho Lee/Shin isn't on form. I guess I underestimated them earlier.
    INA has 4 reps in the QF and 3 of them are WD..what?!?!?!?:eek::eek::eek:
    but tomorrow all of them will face tougher opponents, not to mention higher seeds, so I wish at least one of them can make it through, hopefully Greys/Apriani.
    c'mon, let's get into formation gurlllsss! show 'em what y'all got:D:D

[​IMG]

14. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

I think ZN is better in making opportunities while LYD always tends to wait for the opportunities to come. Also ZN covers his partners better than LYD, in my opinion.

And I prefer ZN (and Kevin) style too. :D

15. Mate

Mate Regular Member

It will be hillarious, if Daren Liew win the title. The first ever world champion from Malaysia.........SUPER DATO'...........DAREN LIEW.

stanleyfm, samkool and melon94 like this.
  16. arjevo

arjevo Regular Member

student
    Dude, you are so full of negativity for SN, remember that it's only Saina Nehwal who started a new wave for Indian badminton, true that now she is "old" in terms of badminton but she can still give any player out there a run for her money and her fighting spirit and mental fortitude is second to none, very recently she defeated PV Sindhu in two straight games for the gold at CWG, so stop demeaning her achievements.

nilesh123, stanleyfm, LenaicM and 2 others like this.
  17. konak

konak Regular Member

Zhang Nan could be, if he can beat kevin more often :p.

lyd versus kevin = 3:0 :cool:

18. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

Just look at that save from Zhang BW by doing the splits. :eek:

stanleyfm likes this.
  19. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

Just out of curiosity: Are you actually African American or do you just really, really wish you were?;)

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I dont think I will ever find something more entertaining than Fu/Cai's matches at the 2005 and 2009 AE, 2006, 2009 and 2011 WC and 2010 Hong Kong Open. Complete dominance in some, super thrilling matches vs Jung/Lee in others. And nobody put shuttles onto opponents' chest like Fu :D Especially that 2010 HK Open is fantastic if you want to see a spectacular AND thrilling match. Not gonna spoil who wins it. :p
    2012 Korea Open was also a good one iirc, should also have been 3 games I think.
    As for LYD, I think his favorite performance will forever be the 2008 AE semi final. Some of the things he does there just defy belief. Better than anything I've seen from KSS to be quite frank, although I'll admit that I didnt watch all of KSS' matches thoroughly. Less time these days.

LjS4 and nizze like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.