TOTAL BWF WORLD Championships 2018 : Preliminary Rounds (30 July-02 August)

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jul 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Queof Artkis

Queof Artkis New Member

I thought my location and stanning would give it away already.:D
    the lingo i use is not exclusively belong to African American culture, in fact it's inspired by the drag culture/community;):D
    thanks for being curious tho:)

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

It doesnt matter, the best will win the most titles when they retire.

and in my opinion, if japan wants to be powerhouse, they should at least chase Korea WorldChampionship and Olympic Gold (medals) first.

#1262 Yoji, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  3. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

I think it was 2011 hongkong open not 2010. I would also add cai/fu vs jung/lee match in asian games 2010 team match final as one of my favorite too, what a thrilling match.

One thing I notice from young lyd (2008-2012) he's not yet had that cross court block defense in his game, which probably becoming his favorite shot when he's partner with yys.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah, 2011 HK Open, my mistake :D 2010 was Ko/Yoo vs Setiawan and the fat one iirc

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

The most big titles, yeah. Winning 10 GPG events (or whatever the equivalent is in this shitty new system) doesn't matter at all.

6. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

LYD has a very stable and smooth movement and I get why people like his style much more.

I guess I prefer something unique and odd :D. And Kevin is by all means very unique and unorthodox in many ways. The way he hits the shuttle is so awkward like no other. It took time before I could really appreciate his style, as I used to cringe whenever I saw him play. I really hope that his partner could be more solid and consistent so he doesn't feel he has to cover a lot. When Marcus is in form, I find Kevin usually tones down his pace and not too fast furious nor risk taking, placing the shuttle carefully and delicately instead which is very nice to see. Unfortunately after breaks, Marcus somehow can be nowhere close being in form hence Kevin trying to do too much and less confident in his shots which is not really nice to see.

Zhang Nan also has unique ways hitting the shuttles and his movement/footwork is awkward too in comparable. Fu Haifeng had weird moves too as a matter of fact. Together they made a weird moving combo but it worked somehow. Love watching them especially when Fu didn't make too many errors.

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I dont think there are many that have much better/more textbook technique than Fu, he had pretty much perfect footwork and good, solid technique. Racket a bit too low on defense, but no real technical deficiencies. Take Korean players, they often have a panhandle grip that really limits them. Zhang Nan has a slightly weird overhand grip and technique, and his movement is a bit higher and with smaller steps than others, but he's efficient enough with it :D Technique-wise he's one of the very best of all time in terms of drive and defensive play. Just incredible power and speed with his backhand.
    The one I really find awkward of those you mentioned is Markus, he has really weird technique, swinging his racket almost like a baseball bat on some defensive shots. Really suboptimal but he seems to make it work so far.

8. nizze

nizze Regular Member

For me, the beauty of CY/FHF vs late JJS/ LYD matches lies in their rallies. We get to see the full range of badminton techniques in their games. From offensive play to defensive tactics to flat exchanges to counterattacks to great net plays. Furthermore both pairs are on par in terms of skill and ability. Makes it more thrilling to watch them battle to outplay each other .

The minions on the other hand employ a different tactic. IMO, their rapid and aggressive flat net play forces their opponents into reactive defensive stance where it is tough to get into position to counterattack. With this upper hand, it takes a couple of body/downward smashes to win the point. This is an effective winning strategy but imo can be somewhat boring to watch.

I am more of a badminton fan/spectator. I have little technical knowledge of the game. But sometimes i wonder if the minions were to meet CY/FHF or late JJS/LYD at their peak, who would have the upper. Or perhaps it's not comparable?

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

No one cares about GPG.. but yeah , more people watch AllEngland and IndonesiaOpen compared to WorldChamps. thats the fact.

10. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Fu HF is better than Gideon, of course but no one cares. Its all
    about Kevin. Its all about his style and swagger. Of course he has the face and looks too.

Im not sure how Gideon can swing his racket like that. It looks weird but its a difficult technique. I think half badminton players wont be able to do that even if they try it.

11. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

both cy/fhf and jjs/lyd would beat minions pretty easily imo. their defense are too good.

nizze likes this.
  12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

No one values IO over a WC title. Maybe some Indonesians, but no one else. Also you might have some skewed sources, in Germany the WC is available on a different website and stream than the AE and IO, for example.

13. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

One thing for sure, at their peaks both of them loses to AhsanHendra.

I think 1 LYD imperfections is he is too tense in big tournaments. His errors last 4 points costed AG gold medal in 2014, 2012 Olympic Gold and 2015 WC was close call too.I mean he doesnt have that swagger. I would rather he didnt get any medal but end up with 1 gold in any of the WC/OG. Not to forget the Final against Korea compatriot in 2014. Weird.

14. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Germany? that is so skewed lol.

Its up to you to view which one is more importance. i can only say not every player can win everything :) I can say money is more important too and WC doesnt give me money. while wimbledon does.

15. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

Well it's not about technique but about how they perform it. Haha I didn't mention Marcus in my previous post. Didn't make it in my book of high level skill :p But when he is in form he could back Kevin up pretty nicely to let Kevin do whatever he wants at the front.

The good thing about minions is they know how carry out the plans to break the opponents rhythm better than any other pair. So given the right plan they could have a chance really. Well at least I am talking about minions in total absolute good form:). I would think Kevin could compete with the greats given the right partner, but I doubt if Marcus was good enough.

16. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

uhmmm...what ? when ahsan/hendra playing lyd not even playing with jjs anymore. and cai/fu were clearly not at their prime anymore after the olympics, even gill clark said that they seems to lost motivation.

maybe with better partner kevin can compete with them, but playing with marcus no way they gonna beat cai/fu and jjs/lyd.

stanleyfm likes this.
  17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I think it's very hard to compare pairs that played in different eras with different game styles. Personally I think both CY/FHF and LYD/JJS would have had the upper hand over the minions, but that's a gut feeling and cannot be assured with any certainty. I base this opinion on the fact that both pairs had less weaknesses to exploit and were not affected by the kind of mental games KSS likes to play, even got fired up by them in CY's case. It would also depend on what the pairs played like, what equipment they had and so on. Fu/Cai would have an advantage with the heavier 2005-2008 rackets, being significantly bigger and more powerful than the minions, for example, and different tactical approaches being employed might shift the balance similarly. Even so, it's an entirely theoretical exercise. The best overall judgement can probably be made after the players have concluded their careers, and you can compare their big achievements. That being said it'll be difficult for anyone to top FHF's 3 OG finals and 4 WC titles.

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

What do you mean? I provided an example as for why the YT viewing statistics for the WC and the IO cannot be compared. There are other countries as well that will have a separate stream for the WC, but not the IO, in Denmark its broadcast on TV for example.
    That's because the WC broadcast rights can be marketed, whereas nobody watches the IO in Europe.

19. yuquall

yuquall Regular Member

FHF with his hammer smashes was a bit unfair. :D Oh and his left handedness.

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Fu/Cai thrashed both Setiawan and Ahsan up to ок 2012 Olympics...so did JJS/LYD. JJS never even played the Ahsan/Setiawan combination I believe. Take your goggles of, mate, Ahsan doesn't have even one OG medal :D

#1280 j4ckie, Aug 2, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    skhai91 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.