TOTAL BWF SUDIRMAN Cup 2017 : Group Stage Matches (21st-24th May)

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by CLELY, May 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mate

Mate Regular Member

I don't like the commentator in the match between Intanon vs Yip Pui Yin. He often forgets the name of Ratchanok and refers her as Thai Player. I can't believe that a commentator in BWF official channel forgets the name of one of the best WS Player, one of the most skillful, and the youngest World Champion. I can't imagine it happens in other sport. Imagine in tennis, a commentator repeatedly refers Maria Sharapova as Russian Player and not her name.

2. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    THA wins. In theory THA could beat CHN by winning WS, XD and MD.

3. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Yeah great to have MaSha back.
    I didn't watch the match, but he is the same guy who commented in India vs Denmark then yeah you aren't the only one who dislikes him.
    Well firstly it's totally unacceptable to put a Danish guy in a match featuring Den alongside GC(who has a history of getting easily influenced) the entire match he fumbled, like he was some beginner in English, who has to form sentences in mind before speaking them.
    Plus, the entire tie he was talking only and only about the Danes and how they practice back in their nation and background stuff. I mean it's understandable in VA's match as he was on fire and has more stuff to talk about then AJ but even in PVS's match he was all about what Line was doing and what she lacks, and what she should do.
    And other then few mentions of Ashwini it was always the "Indian girls" or the the "Indian duo/pair/players"

4. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Tha almost paid the price of not fielding in Sapsiree/Putita, they should thank their stars that Sapsiree/Dechapol are currently enjoying the peak of their combo, and that Chau/Reginald aren't as good these days as they were at some certain tourneys last year. Also the MD could've gone either way.
    Imo HKG missed a lifetime opportunity today. That was a very good performance though.
    And yeah as I mentioned earlier no, current THA team isn't strong enough to justify their rankings.
    And No, they got no chance against CHN, and with all the pressure and momentum I won't be surprised if HBJ surprises RI. Just Hoping CHN doesn't grant SY another chance

5. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

I think it was Lars Uhre, former Danish head coach, who was commentator along with GC in the India/Denmark tie. There was someone else who was commentating,along with Steen, during the Thai/HKG tie. I agree, he did not seem to have much knowledge of badminton. In yesterday's matches he repeatedly called net kills " nice overhead smashes". Also he introduced the Russian WS as an experienced world no. 5 before realising his mistake. He made me miss John Burgess.

6. John I'm

John I'm Regular Member

Why not satwik/chirag in MD . Attri/reddy were too week against the Danish pair.

Sent from my 1201 using Tapatalk

7. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

He appears to be a local general sports commentator named Alan; and his performance has been almost disastrous so far-- so eager to avoid dead air that he "calls" the points BEFORE looking at the line judges, and even mixes up info about the player names, scores, etc. right in front of him;

I'm guessing he's local to Australia or part of the broadcast network/ TV sponsors; or else they would have gotten the (Scottish/English?) guy who commentates Grand Prix Gold events-- he's not as smooth as Gillian or knowledgeable as Steen, but at least he's an ex-player who know what or who he is looking at.

But Alan's worst sin is what I now realize to be an asset of Gillian's and most good commentators (check out the ITTF commentators, Gillian's husband is there as well)-- he does NOT bother to ask about what he doesn't know... e.g. "hey, did you see that?", "now, what did you think of that?"

It is the easiest trick for making conversation/ commentary in sports and filling dead air when you have more than 1 commentator-- but apparently he not used to CO-commentating with someone else, or finds it humiliating to admit he doesn't know something or needs to check it out... I mean, when Gillian worked with Steen Pedersen or Morten Frost, she made sure to squeeze every bit of pro-knowledge out of them; the way she is doing with Lars (recently retired ex-head coach of Denmark) now in the day-time sessions.

I understand that they needsto split duties between the day-time and night-time sessions between 4 commentators, but it is pretty clear that they are "prioritizing" the day-time commentaries with Gillian and Lars-- so there's at least the consolation that the knock-out rounds and finals will probably not be commentated by Alan...

#87 Forestal, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
  8. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

Err, CHN's world rankings in XD and MD are higher than THA-- so in theory CHN should win...

PS. don't use the word theory when you mean "guesswork", "hope" or "probability"-- having a theory mean having actual quantifiable qualities and fixed rules/ systems to make calculations and predictions, like say the BWF rankings or the "theory of gravity"

Plus THA vs HKG was basically a contest of "peers/ equals", so there was no need to speak of any deeper or more sophisticated strategies, i.e. we'll each bring our biggest "club" and see who gets "beaten senseless" first.... but even your best will not be good enough for CHN if you don't have some strategy/ plan

I mean, the HKG vs THA MS, WS, MD and WD matches were virtually "brawls" where the stronger side (THA MD + WS; HKG WD + MS) kept setting the pace and throwing everything at the weaker side (THA WD + MS; HKG MD + WS ); while the weaker side took everything coming at them and tried to return it with interest.

I wouldn't exactly say it was exciting or thrilling as it was pretty clear which side was controlling the game, but it was almost scary to see the HKG MD literally turning red as they just kept accelerating and accelerating (Chinese Taipei tried the same thing in the TPE vs RUS MD)... AMAZING EFFORT from all involved!!!

#88 Forestal, May 22, 2017
  9. Forestal

Forestal Regular Member

What's wrong with John Burgess-- he didn't stroke the ego of your favourite player enough? We should all miss him when he retires.

He's been a generic sports commentator for decades, so he fills dead air with sports gossip rather than technical analysis... but he's gone through almost every network and every sport because he knows what his REAL job is and does it well-- updating TV audiences on what they can't see on court but he can...

10. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Okay, anyway in my opinion WS, XD and MD are THA best chances to beat CHN.

11. ganandoor56

ganandoor56 Regular Member

I thought at least team Taiwan is under contract with Victor. When I saw today's match with TZY: pink yonex kit and no Victor logo on her racket. Is there a special deal with yonex at Sudirman cup?

12. indrg

indrg Regular Member

How are the INA vs. IND games today going to play out: MD, WS, MS, WD, and XD? INA must win WD to tie and XD to win.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

13. indrg

indrg Regular Member

INA WD: Rosyita/Della better not screw up vs. India today

14. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Maybe they are thinking they can win vs. INA so better play Srikanth today

15. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Urghh I guess u miss read his post.
    He meant he "missed" John Burgess.

Yeah it was Mr Uhre, no doubt he was a great coach and all but not so much of a commentator.
    Wish to hear GC and Steen together today in India vs INA

16. Master

Master Regular Member

TOTAL BWF Sudirman Cup 2017 | Badminton Day 3 Group Stage - Group 1C

MAS vs GER

Order of Play : http://www.tournamentsoftware.com/s...9D5AE85E-5686-4389-95E6-D700293D2329&match=62

1. XD : Tan Kian Meng/Lai Pei Jing vs Mark Lamsfuss/Isabel Herttrich
    2. MS : Lee Chong Wei vs Fabian Roth
    3. MD : Goh V Shem/Tan Wee Kiong vs Jones Ralfy/Josche Zurwonne
    4. WS : Goh Jin Wei vs Fabienne Deprez
    5. WD : Vivian Hoo/Woon Khe Wei vs Johanna Goliszewski/Isabel Herttrich

Malaysia surely bring their strongest players in each category to make a must win situation here. No Marc Zwibler in Germany side and GER bring their strongest WS Fabienne Deprez (WR 49), will she push Goh Jin Wei (WR 30) into depression situation? And will Isabel Herttrich's double duty give some positive over GER team? Let's see...

Live Streaming:

#96 Master, May 22, 2017
  17. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Hmm... No Marc Ziewbler.

18. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Dou you mean Bobby Griffin, parabadminton player?

19. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

On paper prediction, team Germany has no chance in MS and MD, Malaysia may lead 3-0 earlier. GER WS or WD possibly could steal point here since Malaysia doesn't have formidable players in this two categories, the inexperienced teenager Goh Jin Wei and inconsistent Vivian Hoo/Woon KW.

20. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

THA v HKG, 3-2.
    An interesting clash last night, team Hong Kong delayed Thailand squad celebration when Angus Ng Ka Long also Poon Lok Yan/Tse Ying Suet as well defeated Tanongsak and Kititharakul/Prajongjai respectively. Isara/Phuangphuapet brought Thailand led 1-0, followed by their ace Ratchanok Intanon then Hong Kong bounced back to grab next two matches but it's still team Thailand sealed the tie at the end through world #9 Puavaranukroh/Taerattanachai who overcame Lee Chun Hei/Chau Hoi Wah. HKG pair had opportunity to force rubber game but the momentum was gone, the error-proned Lee CH was the weak link of this duo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.