Tony And Chandra !!! Godlike ?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2007' started by Angelou, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

That shouldn't be a problem... I think KKK/TBH is kind of playing a Indo style right now...

2. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

isn't Candra retired?

3. bigmojo

bigmojo Regular Member

"...are now sporting 'love handles'!" implies that previously they did not have these 'love handles', that they are aging, past their prime, no longer as physically well conditioned and getting fatter.

Why bring in the irrelevant argument of 'britta anderson and the retired mia'. You yourself said that they were '"relatively" bigger sized than average players'. This is their innate physical build and has no relevance whatsoever to 'aging, past their prime, no longer as physically well conditioned and getting fatter'.

Not only are you reading my posts with little comprehension, you seem to be interpreting it the way you want as well as bringing in irrelevant arguments.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Technically speaking, yes..

...he has retired from PBSI/Pelatnas(as of end of Thomas Cup last yr)...But now he has un-retired and playing as a freelance partner with Tony(who is himself has retired from PBSI/Pelatnas):D;) ..However, there are words, circulating, that PBSI has apparently "re-signed" the 2 ex-Pelatnas veterans back to strengthen both their 2007 Sudirman Cup & Thomas Cup team for next yr- see this link: http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33672..;)

#64 ctjcad, Jan 22, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2007
  5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

For one match...

(hope you don't mind me jumping in, bigmojo)..;)
    ..yes, KKK & TBH were better than the vets TG & CW...Same story for TG & CW, for 1 game during the JO, last yr, they were better than the newly formed MAS tandem;) ...It's hard to say or foretell what would happen in the 3rd set, as it never materialized, so the best thing we can hope for is for them to have another rematch..:D ;)
    If another rematch isn't possible, then another criteria we can apply for both pairs this yr is to see how far each pair progresses in this yr's SS tourneys..And if we go by that criteria, then *consistency* is our "best" standard to "compare" them both..;)

#65 ctjcad, Jan 22, 2007
  6. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Obviously CW/TG have been playing for much longer than KKK/TBH, which is part of the reason WHY they are legends. It's just plain idiotic to declare that KKK/TBH are the Gods of badminton or even "Legends" for that matter, after just 2 semi-big tournament wins. To take this point a little further, please keep in mind that TG/CW aren't even training on a regular basis, AND the fact that they are 30 (or somewhere around there), which is the age most players retire from badminton, yet they STILL manage to win titles and STILL manage to compete with the top pairs of the world. THAT is why they are legendary, because they have proven themselves in the past and they continue to do so in the present.

I am not bashing KKK/TBH, I think they played extraordinary in that final, namely KKK with his interceptions at the net. They absolutely deserved to win this title. The problem is, when they did win, some fans get overly excited and proclaim something as stupid as "TG/CW stand no chance against the true Gods of badminton!!!" That was an insulting and, if I may say so, idiotic statement to make, especially to a pair as humble and great as TG/CW. Not fair nor logical? None of your posts seem logical to me, and I didn't see anyone else proclaiming that KKK/TBH was a bad pair when they lost the Japan Open finals to, what's this? Tony Gunawan and Candra Wijaya?? Again I will say it. Tony Gunawan and Candra Wijaya are great and established LEGENDS, KKK/TBH is a great pair and have the POTENTIAL to become legends, which must be proven over the course of many years and tournaments, NOT measured by how many times they beat a semi-retired pairing. Thank you and good night.

7. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    apparently i dun think so....
    LYB did said that a player cannot play a another country within 2 years after representing the former country... thats why he didn't worry so much bout zhou mi going mas, hk or taiwan

8. bigmojo

bigmojo Regular Member

I am not questioning the 'greatness' of TG/CW. Without a doubt they are already legends in the badminton world. All I am saying is that age has caught up with them and like it or not they must give way to the young & rising stars like KKK/TBH. Do you really think TG/CW would have won the 3rd set if there had been one? Of course this is pure conjecture but given the age difference and physical condition of the two pairs I have to say that TG/CW would have lost. Dont set your sights too high on a rematch between TG/CW and KKK/TBH at the upcoming Korean Open. Unless the draw is such that they meet in the early rounds as I dont think TG/CW will make it to the finals.

The recent Malaysian Open may have witnessed the tail end of the playing carreers not just of legends like TG/CW but also the likes of PGC, KJ, TH, WCH etc. I daresay that the upcoming Olympics may just be the last hurrah for some of the names I just mentioned. I think Zhang Ning is also in the same boat. Genius is one thing but father time cannot be denied.

#68 bigmojo, Jan 22, 2007
  9. tjl_vanguard

Student
    hahaha come on.. you said it yourself as well... "FANS"... thats what fans do..but what really important is the players themselves... KKK said that that match was incredible and they really enjoyed it.. it was a sweet memory for them.. but that's on court...off court, they still respect TG/CW a lot... he said that in an interview after the finals....

http://www.internationalbadminton.org/newscontent.asp?pageid={AB60110F-3406-4039-8BDE-03EEFAA87C39}

10. tjl_vanguard

Student
    hahaha come on.. you said it yourself as well... "FANS"... thats what fans do..but what really important is the players themselves... KKK said that that match was incredible and they really enjoyed it.. it was a great memory for them.. but that's on court...off court, they still respect TG/CW a lot... he said that in an interview after the finals....

http://www.internationalbadminton.org/newscontent.asp?pageid={AB60110F-3406-4039-8BDE-03EEFAA87C39}

11. bigmojo

bigmojo Regular Member

I used the term 'Gods' as a figure of speech because the thread starter had referred to TG/CW as godlike and the fact that they were beaten by KKK/TBH. I never referred to KKK/TBH as legends.

This was what I posted, "We are now witnessing the birth of a new legend in the badminton world."

#71 bigmojo, Jan 22, 2007
  12. tjl_vanguard

Student
    yes i agree.... its only the beginning... they have yet to establish themselves to be referred as "LEGENDS" but if they continue to play in this way n get better and better.. i have no doubt but they are going to surpass what TG/CW have achieved...
    ppl are arguing about this is just because they are still fans of TG/CW... they've seen them play for such a long time and fans thought that newbies such as kkk/tbh just lucked out in the finals....

13. bigmojo

bigmojo Regular Member

If you cant engage in a discussion or stand for a difference in opinion without resorting to use of derogatory terms, what are you doing in a public forum?

Is it the norm in your country to call people who doesnt agree with your point of view, idiots or morons or retards or what have you?

#73 bigmojo, Jan 22, 2007
  14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ok. this thread has degraded to personal attacks instead of discussing the subject matter.

closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.