Tony And Chandra !!! Godlike ?

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open / Korea Open 2007' started by Angelou, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    candra and tony didn't practiced much since their last tournament. I wouldnt rule this veteran pair to win titles in 2007 out at all.

2. doremi

doremi Regular Member

There are 3 stages for the Malaysian badminton players. Beat them at home, beat them at neutral ground and beat them in Indonesia! And I think these two can actually accomplish this feat. Let's wait and see. :)

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i just finish watching the MO MD final. Amazingly high caliber badminton. Overall, both MAL and TG/CW played really well, especially the 2nd set. The young MAL pair won it by their slight edge on speed and reflexes over TG/CW. Tony and candra got off a slow start in game 1, behind 4-10 before getting into their true form which is unfortunate because clawing back is tough under NSS. Too bad i want to see a 3rd set to see if the young MAL pair can with the improving TG/CW during the match.

4. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

^^^Second cooler's comment & just too many unforced errors by the veterans...^^^

...after watching the match, credit to the MAS pair. They came ready to play, listened to Rexy and stuck to their gameplan. Didn't show much, if any, jitters thruout the whole match. However, i think Tony&Candra just made a bit more unforced errors thruout the match. Seemed like they were rushing their shots a bit(esp. from Tony) or just out-guessed themselves with their shots.
    It should be interesting to see how both pairs will fare, the next time they should meet.;) :cool:

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm, let's see...

...hehe, looking @ the KO draw & barring any upsets or defeats, the only rematch we'll see between KKK/TBH vs. TG/CW is in the Finals..:p:D;)[​IMG]

#25 ctjcad, Jan 21, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  6. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i think we should neglect the ranking as a measuring stick for KKK and TBH. unlike the singles where the ranking will depends solely on yourself and the tournaments you play at, the doubles will change ranking when they change partners and all. so really, KKK and TBH are up there with the big boys regardless of ranking. now speaking of game play and strategy, i do think the malaysian pair played better on that day, and TG/CW made more mistakes than usual. all in all the best team on that day won. i am so glad that malaysia finally have another doubles that have the potential to be great like razif-jailani and cheah soon kit-soo beng kiang. in fact i see a lot of resemblance in terms of team dynamics between KKK/TBH and CSK/SBK. the older one looks to be the leader and the motivator. the other seems the strong and silent type. TBH did not say anything during the after match interview by wong choon han (by the way, cool interviewer, ha ha ha), and KKK keeps talking about himself saying I did ok, and I made less mistakes, and really no WE comment at all. nonetheless, i see bright futures ahead. now if malaysia can just have another good singles player or another good doubles player, then maybe, just maybe, we can win the thomas cup again. :D

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

oops, some typo last sentence

i just finish watching the MO MD final. Amazingly high caliber badminton. Overall, both MAL and TG/CW played really well, especially the 2nd set. The young MAL pair won it by their slight edge on speed and reflexes over TG/CW. Tony and candra got off a slow start in game 1, behind 4-10 before getting into their true form which is unfortunate because clawing back is tough under NSS. I like to see a 3rd set wondering if the young MAL pair would crack under pressure from the veteran TG/CW during the match

8. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Lol... WCH should get a knock at the head for forgetting TBH.... :p

9. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    You don't need third set to see that. I was actually expecting it to happen when they ran point-for-point up to 8-8, because this situation plays into the experienced pair's hands. Still remember how Razif-Jalani came back from 5-12 down to win 15-12 in one of their games against a younger hard attacking pair.

I can't say that Tony/Candra played badly at all, sure some of their shots hit the net, but that's more forced error than unforced ..... And their dominance at the net is negated by the Malaysians' speed.

Yet at this moment I still rate Tony/Candra as the most complete pair still in the circuit. Koo/Tan's time will come if they can maintain consistency an win a few more majors.

#29 abedeng, Jan 21, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2007
  10. bigmojo

bigmojo Regular Member

There is no dispute. TG & CW are godlike. Unfortunately for them they came up against the real deal. KKK & TBH ARE the badminton GODS for the mens doubles in the badminton universe. Of course the godlike stands no chance whatsoever when they play against the GODS themselves.
    Every once in a while legends stamp their mark forever in the badminton world. People like Rudy Hartono, Zhao JianHua, Yang Yang, Tan Yee Khan & Ng Boon Bee, Wong Peng Soon etc. We are now witnessing the birth of a new legend in the badminton world. TBH & KKK will absolutely dominate the mens doubles event in years to come. I predict they will confirm this for a fact at the coming Olympics.:D

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

beating the legends once doesn't make them god. Cai/Fu have beaten TG/CW once before, the china pair certainly is no legend or god.

12. modious

modious Regular Member

yes, the Malaysian pair is really good. They're amazingly fast and their defence was solid. The Malaysian pair dominated the net because they were just that much faster. It's rare to see Tony Gunawan getting beat at the net! :eek:

Let's see how they perform in the next few tourneys. S'pore Open is around the corner....

13. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    People are making too big of a fuss over this, the Malaysian pair are Gods and TG/CW are merely godlikes with no chance to beat Gods? Please, badminton is a sport, you win some you lose some. TG/CW are legends because they have established themselves over many trimphs and success, not with a few. Let us compare the MANY Open wins by Tony/Candra + the Olympics Gold/WC (Seperate partners) to the Malaysian's Asian games gold and Malaysian open. No comparison...KKK and TBH are a great pairing, but they have a long way to go before being mentioned as a legend.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks GunBlade for the cool headed and rational comment. surely KKK/TBH won a couple of tournaments in the past month, but let's not over-react and overly exaggerate their status. i hate to say this but Malaysian fans tends to overreact, and then pump too much expectation into their players and then when the players cannot stand the high expectation, they just crash and burn in criticism. let's not do that to KKK/TBH, they have a lot of potential and just let them play it out on their own pace.

15. modious

modious Regular Member

yes I agree. To call KKK / TBH Gods and TG / CW merely godlikes clearly is insulting. You don't earn a Legendary Status by just winning a few tourneys, you have to prove it over a long period of time!

16. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Agree with Kwun and GunBlade, it's much too early to say anything. You just don't declare legends, legends declare themselves, and that too after a long period.

We Malaysians tend to get excitable too easily, then when players don't deliver, we tend to be too hypercritical .....

17. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Kwun, did you say over-reacting and overly exaggerating their status?

It has been a long time since Malaysians have seen such a revival of their doubles pair abilities. It has been such a long since they have so much to cheer on - once at the Asian Games in Dec. and now the Malaysian Open in January. It has been such a long time since they have seen so many good pairs gone down against their doubles pairs. And I can carry on.....

How much more does a pair like KKK/TBH have to show to earn such accolades (NOT EXAGGERATION please) ? Rexy, the master of doubles play, have turned this pair around (and hopefully other pairs too) and he sang their song too ---- highly !

I know it is hard for others to believe their ears but believe their eyes coz you all saw it with your eyes their big wins in the Asian Games and the MO.

The so-called invincible Tony Gunawan and Wijaya were made to look second rate in the 1st game and only because KKK/TBH were tired in the 2nd game (and visibly so because TBH's smashes were drained of the usual speed and power) that they let TG/W come back into the 2nd game.

And if they don't deserve to be praised for that, then what about the lesson they handed to the Indonesian pair of Hendra/Markis --- these two fellas were in awe of KKK/TBH and at the same glad to finish the game (don't forget it was their second defeat) without being mauled too badly.

KKK/TBH are the talk of the town -- maybe not yours but certainly in Malaysia. If they don't win the SPORTSMAN AWARD this year in Malaysia, I will be surprised.

18. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    Well said. Tony and Candra are legend. KKK and TBH are good but they have not acheived anyhting yet to be acclaimed as legend.

19. bigmojo

bigmojo Regular Member

How long has TG/CW been playing? How long has TBH/KKK been playing? And you want to compare the no of titles they have won? Not very fair nor logical.

20. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    I agree.

I really do not want a repeat of our Hafiz Hashim!

KKK and TBH is a new pair. They still need to win a lot more major tournaments before we could say that they are as good as Tony and Candra.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.