The BWF Tournament Sanctions Policy 2010

Discussion in '2010 Tournaments' started by cxytdn, Dec 15, 2009.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

All England Open must get 'top-tier' status, says leading official

World Badminton's plans to split its 12-leg Super Series by creating a top tier 'Grand Slam' should not affect the All England Open, according to Badminton England.

By Rod Gilmour
    Published: 8:02PM GMT 02 Mar 2010

Adrian Christy, the national governing body's chief executive, believes that change is necessary to revive a dwindling format but said it would be "hugely disappointing for us and the popularity of the Super Series" if the All England Open, which marks its 100th edition in Birmingham next week, fails to make it to top-tier status.

----------

Read completely through telegraph.co.uk -- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ot...et-top-tier-status-says-leading-official.html

2. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    I agree with Mr. Christy, All England should be badminton's Wimbledon ...but he cannot just complain but not find $400,000 in prize money... :p It is also hugely dissapointing for the players if All England has all the status but not much money... :p

3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    In terms of who can come up with $400k, I guess it will depends on the sponsors.

I am reasonably certain Yonex will continue to sponsor All England and Indonesian Open. (But I just realised Yonex is not the title sponsor for the Indonesian Open.. strange)... And Li Ning will continue to support the China Open (or Masters).... will Victor be the sponsor of the 4th Grand Slam event?? Of course, local sponsors and governments are also important...

Krisna, you mentioned earlier that according the "BWF Super Series Proposal", there is no big event in January, where can I find that proposal? thanks...

4. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Yonex did not sponsor Indonesia Open ..Djarum has been a main sponsor in this tournament..

5. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    You have to check with your local badminton officials... Whoever is in charge of BWF relations or the one in charge of Badminton Commerce affairs. :) If you're in HK, then maybe contact the BC moderator, Cheung. I estimate that he knows enough people in the inside of HK Badminton Association... ;)

I know at least 2 other BC members who have seen the same BWF Super Series Proposal... They have commented on this thread too. They also know about the plan to make December to January free of big events; starting 2011.

#105 Krisna, Mar 6, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Krisna, thanks... i am just an ordinary badminton fan, not knowing anyone within the Hong Kong Badminton Association...

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I think the three Asian multi-sporting events are more likely to be held in November than December....

Having a major event at end of December and early January is not something players, coaches and technical staff want... they want to have holiday... But some fans may think otherwise....

having a major event at end of January to mid February is also not so good... more than a third of the global badminton population observe the Lunar New Year holiday.... the 1st day of the Lunar New Year for the next 5 years are:

February 3, 2011
    January 23, 2012
    January 23, 2012
    January 31, 2014
    February 19, 2015

8. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    I basically agree with you. Hey, email the BWF or something... ;)

I am a normal badminton fan too, but I try to be resourceful when it comes to information gathering... :D thus, I get this and that from BWF insiders.