The BWF Tournament Sanctions Policy 2010

Discussion in '2010 Tournaments' started by cxytdn, Dec 15, 2009.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Krisna, btw, a few more questions about BWF subsidies?

Does BWF subsidize all Super Series event? with a minimum 100k each?

What about GP Gold events?

thanks....

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

so will it be Yonex-Li NING Us Open ss?:D

half half..:D

3. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Wow... that means they will spend their $$$ in 3 INA cities [buying food, paying for hotel rooms, spend time in our malls]... :eek: Excellent idea! :D A great idea to improve INA's foreign currency reserve! ;)

Yea... :p And they will be sick of eating INA food all the time... :D hahaha! But hey, I had to eat American food for 7 years... all because I studied there. I had to bear 7 years, they should not complain about 3 weeks of INA food! :)

From what I know: a fixed $100,000 is given to every host nation. Regardless of their prize money offerings. KOR offered the players $300,000... INA offered $250,000... MAS offered $200,000... but every country got $100,000

As for GP GOLD events... no, no subsidies at all. :)

Unlikely they will share the title name. I hope Li Ning wins... :cool: Badminton needs better 'balance of power' in terms of sponsorships.

#83 Krisna, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  4. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Nah, sure cannot. How about 2 years Yonex take, next 2 years Li Ning.:p:p

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    As for Grand Slam, I think the following 4 will made it, in chronological order:

1. Korea Open, January

I think BWF will choose Korea over Malaysia because there will be more time between the Masters Finals and Korea than with Malaysia.

2. All England, March

This tournament is generally regarded as the most prestigious event in badminton. No further elaboration is required. Everything else must give way.

3. Indonesian Open, June

Indonesian produces some of the finest players in the history of badminton. Of course, it deserves a Grand Slam.

4. China Masters, September

Based on the recent results of all Level 1 events, China is currently the strongest nation in badminton. China Masters is better than China Open [which is in November] because China Open is too close to Southeast Asia Games and East Asia Games [although these two games are not held every year], which is usually in late November to early Dec.

The above 4 Grand Slam events seems to allow at least 3 weeks before and after all of the following events: (A) Level 1 events, (B) Masters Finals, (C) major Multi-sports events featuring badminton.

(A) Level 1 events:

- Thomas/Uber Cup and Sudirman Cup, usually April or May
    - World Championships, usually August

(B) Masters Finals, usually mid December

(C) Olympics [August], Commonwealth Games [March, clash with All England???], South East Asia Games [late November to Early Dec], East Asia Games [late November to Early Dec], etc.

As for BAC and Euro Champ, hopefully BWF will move BAC to October and Euro Champ to February..

July will be our holiday!!

#85 pcll99, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Sorry, forgot to mention Asian Games... it's usually held in late Nov to early Dec.. it is never held in the year EAG or SEAG is held..

and of course participating nations of EAG and SEAG are mutually exclusive...

7. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Give July to the Soccer World Cup or the Soccer European Cup. :p Very hard to compete for sport fan's attention with those guys anytime soon...

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

so..

..last week, i was playing with a couple guys who came from overseas, both of whom came from countries with very limited exposure to baddy (one from Turkey and the other from Switzerland). And by chance, i asked both of them "Why do they think baddy is not popular in the U.S. or much of the western world? What should BWF or U.S. baddy do to spark the interest amongst the non-immigrant Americans & countries in S. America/Europe?".
    They all looked up at the wall, scratched their heads and for the 1st question they answered: "Lack of exposure from very young age. They should start introducing the sport from elementary, jr. high to high school levels. Build up the exposure from a very young age. Have badminton players visit schools (where there aren't many Asians) and introduce the sport. If possible, give out free rackets/shuttles/nettings/poles as a start, have a demo. day. It's the same in their countries, if they had exposure earlier on, people would catch on to the sport".
    Then for the 2nd question, one of them answered : "How about getting a celebrity to promote the sport?"
    I then asked them, "Which celebrity do they have in mind?"
    They paused a bit, and one of them blurted out : Lady Gaga....

#89 ctjcad, Feb 10, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    i didn't fall in love with badminton until i started to watch badminton matches on my local cable-tv... (i think it was All England)... but obviously i live in a place where everyone plays badminton...

hopefully BWF's new grand slam matches will be picked up and broadcast by lots of tv station from around the world...

hahaahaa..... seriously, Ana Ivanovic seems like a better person for that.... is she now being sponsored by Yonex??

11. DanielX

DanielX Regular Member

12. DanielX

DanielX Regular Member

13. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

BWF Super Series 2011-2013 : Potential Hosts Asked To Submit Application
    Saturday, February 13, 2010

-----------
    A final decision on the hosts for the 2011-2013 season is expected to be taken at the BWF Executive Board meeting on 13 March 2010.

“From the 12 Super Series events, three or four will be elevated to Premier Super Series, albeit fulfilling the necessary requirements”, added Lund.

“There will be no change in the minimum prize money for the Super Series events which is USD200,000.”

“Once the Executive Board decides on the 12 hosts, these hosts will then be given the opportunity to apply to be categorised as a Premier Super Series event. A decision on Premier Super Series hosts will be taken by Council in May.”

-------------

Read completely through BWF website at News section -- http://www.internationalbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=30866

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    the 4th Grand Slam!!!

Will there be a Fourth Grand Slam???? If yes, which one??

Malaysia, Korea or Denmark???? Maybe Japan!!!!

15. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Well, the most recent BWF strategic announcement mention that 'key markets' shall be the priority... :) For political needs, they did not mention which ones are considered the key markets... :p

Assuming the BWF officials are not insane and have some knowledge of statistics and business... then they will not consider Mozambique, Kazakstan and Tajikistan the potential key markets. :D Dear BWF officials, the key markets are: Eurozone, USA, Japan, Brazil, Russia, India, China, Indonesia pleaseee.... ;)

#95 Krisna, Feb 14, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  16. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    hmm... BWF is physically located and run in Malaysia; it would be surprising if no Grand Slam is held there... but the President of BWF is a Korean!!!!! it's a tough call which will be made a Grand Slam.... since both the Malaysian and Korean Open are held in January....

i maintain my original forecast (not necessarily my personal wish)!! either Malaysia or Korea... not both!!!! i guess we will see who is right in May...

of course, the above is based on the assumption that there will be a fourth Grand Slam... but obviously there may or may not be a fourth GS given the wording of the announcement. it all depends on the future of the Masters Finals, since there is only 1 month apart between the Masters Finals and the January GS.... Will the future Masters Finals have World Ranking points?? Will top players go and play the Masters Finals?

#96 pcll99, Feb 14, 2010
  17. press100

press100 Regular Member

Science Officer
    Hope it will be Malaysia...:):D:p

18. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    According to the BWF Super Series Proposal:
    Jan... no big event
    Feb... 1 SS
    Mar... 1 SS, 1 Premier SS [I assume All England will get this :)]
    Apr... 1 SS
    May... Thomas-Uber/Sudirman
    Jun... 1 SS, 1 Premier SS [INA Open please :eek:]
    Jul... 1 SS
    Aug... 1 SS, 1 Premier SS [US Open?!? :D I know this is a bit unlikely]
    Sep... World Championship
    Oct... 2 SS, 1 Premier SS [China Open?!? :cool:]
    Nov... SS Masters Finals [which will now provide WR points, at lasssttt!]
    Dec... no big event.

Note: I guess they reserve this for the Southeast Asian Games, East Asian Games, and Asian Games... December is perfect for INA National Championships too. :)

#98 Krisna, Feb 14, 2010
  19. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    I heard that BWF is considering SS proposals from India, Vietnam, Philippines, US, and Macau...

My advice to BWF:
    Make HK, SIN, Swiss as Gold GP events... :eek: sorry guys...
    Make China Masters like Copenhagen Masters... :cool:
    Add Philippines, India, US, and Vietnam as SS... :cool:

20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I noticed that the SS are group into 2 like, AE & Swiss, KO & MO and etc. This is probably to maximize the logistic arrangements. Having one SS in every month is difficult to organize.