Telecast?anyone..???

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by DaN_fAn, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    It just really pisses me off that no Canadian Sports channel will air ANY badminton coverage. All they show is poker all day long. The worst part is that during the same weak of the WC2005 is the Rogers Cup for tennis. So I'll end up spending my days watching tennis instead of badminton.

Hopefully I can rely on PPLive or CoolStreaming or even someone recording it. :(

2. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    TV coverage for WC

tv coverage

For those who cannot go to WC, please enjoy.

3. Togey

Togey Regular Member

BBC!!! holy ****! *dances*

4. Scott Kam

Scott Kam Regular Member

Why are you so "excited" about BBC. I'd been in UK for a year. BBC2 always give lots of coverage on wide variety of sports.

5. Togey

Togey Regular Member

The Beeb NEVER show badminton. Apart from that crappy open thingy in birmingham.

6. event

event Regular Member

Canadian sports coverage does suck, in general. On the other hand, consider that you have a low level of interest in the general population, no contenders from Canada, and Canada is not hosting the tournament so you can't expect much else. This reasoning all works until you see what they do show instead: darts, poker, etc. which similarly have neither an audience, nor contenders, nor locally hosted championships and, what's more, aren't even sports. You never know, though. I don't remember triathlons being on TV very often in the early 90s but now every time I turn on that OLN station, they seem to be showing another triathlon. Canada has had contenders in that sport for over 15 years. If that's what it takes for badminton to get covered, that's a tall order.

I just found out two things: 1) my cable company doesn't offer Star Sports; and 2) MBC is planning to show some of the games but it hasn't announced what or when yet (par for the course-one thing you never get in Korea is advanced notice for events). I'm hopeful but not optimistic about the MBC coverage. Even when the Korea Open was here, they had only 2h a day with no SF coverage and only 3h on finals day so they chopped off that amazing men's doubles match! From my place in the stands, I could see the cameras were still rolling for international broadcasts. I guess I'll be either glued to the PPLive or I'll be dropping in on my dish-owning friends with a stack of VHS tapes.

7. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    Wow. Korea didn't even show the Korea Open when it was hosting it? That's horrible? It's equivalent to Canada not airing the World Junior Champs until 1 year later with their stupid 30 minute highlight broadcast.

Btw what's MBC?

8. event

event Regular Member

MBC=Moonhwa Broadcasting Corporation. It's the network that aired the Korean Open and which will show the WC next week, I hope. I wouldn't call that equivalent to the Canadian situation. We got most of the event on MBC, just not the best match and no semi's for some reason. Round of 16 was on TV but just whatever happened to be on during the 2h they had scheduled from 2-4.

I still think a main reason for the lack of coverage is the lack of domestic contenders. That would be a sufficient reason if it weren't for the abundance of useless programming on sports networks. Given the lack of contenders, I guess the real question is why the IBF gives the events to nations with no world-class players and even relatively few amateur enthusiasts (Badminton was a headline sport in my high school, for instance, but I am sure that no one there knows who Lin Dan is).

9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Live or delayed TV rights have been acquired by the following national / international broadcasters:

- STAR Sports (Asia)
    - Eurosport (Europe)
    - Indosiar (Indonesia)
    - RTM (Malaysia)
    - BBC (UK)
    - MBC (Korea)
    - UPC (Sweden) (any swede cappers?)
    [Must be on this channel:
    UPC sänder SPORT-Expressen från dag ett!

SPORT-Expressen kommer att erbjuda ett mycket brett sportutbud: friidrott, handboll, tennis, bordtennis, badminton, squash, gymnastik, volleyboll, beachvolley, motorsport, hästhoppning, simning och simhopp. Det kommer att bli regelbundna nyhetssändningar och fokus på svenska lag och stjärnor i sändningarna. Kanalen har ett nära samarbete med tidningens redaktion och expressen.se.

Den 17 mars premiärsänder den nya TV-kanalen SPORT-Expressen och ni tittare får två höjdare direkt: Kvalserien till hockeyns elitserie och Masterstennis. Senare i vår väntar heta Superettan i fotboll.

SPORT-Expressen kommer att ingå i UPCs analoga Baspaket samt digitala startpaketen utan extra kostnad:

Analogt: kanalplats S15 (TV Finlands nuvarande kanalplats)
    Digitalt: kanalplats 301
    ]

Highlights are expected to be shown by the following broadcasters, following the completion of the event:
    - ESPN2 (USA)
    - SuperSports (Africa)
    - Fox Sports (Australia)
    - Sky Sports (New Zealand)

#49 demolidor, Aug 11, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2005
  10. bad_aim

bad_aim Regular Member

Anyone know if any of these networks will be accessible by PPLive or CoolStreaming, etc?

11. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

Star Sports is usually available on Coolstreaming and SOPcast.

12. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

It's actually quite interesting what they'll broadcast. Lot's of background stuff and highlights starting from day1 (but wouldn't expect too much from the highlights throughout the week). But as always something is better than nothing at all so hopefully someone can cap it.

13. ckad18

ckad18 Regular Member

wonder if there will be any .torrents out soon of recorded/converted coverage :rolleyes:;)

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Did anyone catch the live interview after Candra's/Sigit's match?

BTW, just for anyone who is curious,
    but if anyone watched Star Sports(in Asia) or ESPN2 or other TV right after the MD match between Candra/Sigit vs. Jonas/Lars, they were doing somekind of an interview next to the court. Well, the person doing the translation for Candra/Sigit and the reporter is none other than me-hehehehe... :p
    yup, that's me, live on camera, for the rest of world to see.. :p ...

In seriousness though, i never thought about doing any interviews live on tv, i was just called out of the blue and they asked me to do the translating for ESPN2?!?!.. :p

15. Badmincraze

Badmincraze Regular Member

Gosh... so u r the translator for Candra/Sigit ? :D Haha... not bad, we (or at least, me) get to c who u r now!! But juz side-track, the translator for the Chinese wasnt that good cos he cant phrase his Mandarin properly.. (juz my opinion, no offence :p )

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hehe, i don't recall who was the Chinese translator, have to check on that...well, i will let him/her know about that(hehehe, j/k there)..:p

well, i was a bit surprise after realizing that i will be on tv live to the rest of the world, and esp. with ESPN2(hehehehe)..:p:p

#56 ctjcad, Aug 20, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  17. chika

chika Regular Member

student
    i watched too!! ur so good..:D :D i had a feeling when i watch it.. i thought this guy must be one of bfers.. hehe.. how come u can speak indonesian so well???

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Well, i was able to keep the language, eventhough i've been in the states for 20 yrs!!!!...basically my parents had me keep speaking in Indonesian when I grew up in the states, so as not to lose the language, sayang kan kalo hilang??along with hanging around other Indonesian people, so yah, fortunately i was able to keep the language..if i hadn't keep on speaking at home or anywhere, i might have probably forgotten all about it-hehehe..
    however, i still prefer and feel comfortable speaking in English...:):p

#58 ctjcad, Aug 20, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2005
  19. floorfilla

floorfilla Regular Member

Hey, I noticed you were better at translating the Indonesian players' replies (from Bhs Indo to English), rather than translating the interviewer's questions(from English to Bhs Indo). Were you nervous???

20. Badmincraze

Badmincraze Regular Member

How come after every match there's this players interview EXCEPT for Lin Dan n Peter's match? So disappointed... :( There was no live interview of both players shown on STAR SPORTS...