Telecast?anyone..???

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by DaN_fAn, Feb 15, 2005.

1. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Is any major sports channel going to telecast live the world championships to be held later this year[please,say yes].i think most channels would have announced their calender for the rest of the year.i am aware that that sports channels dont broadcast just any grand prix,but atleast the world chams.i mean,espn-star did it in 2003 and telecasted it a to a lot and lot of countries.are they going to do it again???

2. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    I hope there will be some broadcast since the venue will not let you bring in any video recording device. I hope that means someone has purchased the broadcasting rights.

3. Faisal

Faisal Regular Member

Student
    If they do telecast the WC, plz plz plz let me know! as we get the same "Indian ESPN-STAR" here in Pakistan as well! Thanks.

4. scchang

scchang Regular Member

Mechanical Engineer
    As I was told in the liaison officer meeting, one major cable TV company would broadcast it. It might be either ESPN or Fox-Sports. I have no further information for that yet but would be more than happy to share with you guys if there is any more news on this.

-SC

5. weeyet

weeyet Regular Member

Engineer / Freelance pianist
    malaysia

i just hope the RTM or any malaysia TV here (not astro) will broadcast all games involving Malaysian players once they qualified to the last 8.

If they enter semifinal, hopefully we can watch our boys in action live from our sofa.

No need to mention if they get into the final. I'm sure whole Malaysia will be in front of the TV.

Badminton can be considered as Malaysian "national sports"... RTM n malaysia tv broadcaster, please... and sponsors....

6. foobart

foobart Regular Member

Telecast in the US

Any more news/inside information about TV broadcast in the USA? I'd have expected full coverage on SOME channel since it's being held locally..

If I'm reading this on the WBC website link below properly, it seems to say there 's going to be some sort of "highlights" capsule sometime much later (in September?). That'd be quite pathetic..

http://www.05worlds.com/article.asp?id=2707

Highschool cheerleading competitions get much better coverage??

Someone say the news is better than this..

7. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Sorry i guess it is as bad as that.From what i could make of it there will be 5 hrs of telecast only nd that too only the highlights.The organisers must be crazy coz they say they are 'thrilled' with the tie -up to telecast "5" hrs of badminton.:mad: :mad: :mad: This is insane.Of course there will be many tv channels coming to telecast it live but it will be a shame if the host country cannot get any of the action.why cant they telecast the event QF onwards.Atleast they can telecast all the matches of only MS,like in tennis where the telecast of any tournament is mainly for singles.
    I just hope somebody telecasts it Out here in India.But seriously nobody does it better than espn-star and for them to do so little .....this is crap.

8. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

And what if the matches go over an hour will they cut them short just when it is becoming exciting.[Insane]

The most suprising thing is the organisers say they are 'thrilled' with this development.Do they EVEN KNOW THAT THEY ARE HOSTING THE BADMINTON WC AND NOT SOME CHEAP LOCAL EVENT.[to say that they are getting thrilled and honoured that the WC is getting 5 hrs coverage,they must be crazy]

Ya!hope the news SOMEHOW gets better.

9. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

I'm sure cctv will have something :D

10. harimau

harimau Regular Member

ITs, CEs, P&C Insurance Agent
    Espn2

6/24/2005 ESPN2 & Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, A Winning Pair for 2005 World Badminton Championships
    by Julie Sediq - Arrowhead Pond

For Immediate Release
    Julie Sediq, Arrowhead Pond, 714.704.2412, jsediq@arrowheadpond.com
    Dave Nagle, ESPN, 860-766-2241, dave.nagle@espn.com

Anaheim, Calif (June 23, 2005) – This summer the fastest racquet sport in the world will air on ESPN2.

Today, ESPN, Inc., the worldwide leader in sports, and the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim, the premier entertainment and sports venue in Southern California, announced the 2005 International Badminton Federation (IBF) World Championships will air nationally on ESPN2. Viewers in more than 89.1 million households will see shuttlecocks flying off of racquets at over 200 miles per hour during five hours of programming.

Five one hour shows will feature competition highlights from the World Championships in each of the disciplines - men’s singles, women’s singles, men’s doubles, women’s doubles and mixed doubles. Hosting each telecast will be long-time ESPN lead NHL analyst, and 2004 Olympic badminton commentator, Bill Clement. Air dates are scheduled starting in early September during ESPN2’s Game Room time slot, Monday-Friday, Noon-2pm and 4pm-6pm ET.

“We are thrilled to bring another international event to the sports fans of Orange County and now, to the entire nation on ESPN2,†said Bob Wagner, senior vice president and chief marketing officer of the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim. “The programs will capture the speed and skill of this popular Olympic sport and deliver it into the homes of Americans.â€

ESPN2 has aired badminton in the past. In 1995, the network twice aired a one-hour program of the World Championships in Switzerland.

"At ESPN, we are all about presenting the best in sports, and the World Badminton Championships will fit nicely with ESPN2's lineup, with its top-level action and athletes from around the world," said Jason Bernstein, manager, programming & acquisitions.

With close to 200 million participants worldwide, this is the first time the IBF has brought the World Championships to the United States. This also marks the first time in 20 years that the World Championships have come to North America. In 1985 the host city was Calgary, Canada.

More than 350 athletes from 51 countries will compete at the IBF World Championships August 15-21, 2005 in Anaheim, Calif. The seven day event will end with the crowning of the world champions in each discipline. It is hosted by the IBF, USA Badminton, Los Angeles Sports Council and the Arrowhead Pond.

All-session tickets are available at ticketmaster.com, the Arrowhead Pond Box Office, by-phone at (714) 740-2000 and at all Ticketmaster outlets. Prices range from $89-$289 and include all nine sessions (see schedule below*). Travel packages are also available on-line and include airfare and hotel accommodations.

For more information on the 2005 World Badminton Championships log on to www.05worlds.com.

# # # # #

COMPETITION SCHEDULE
    August 15-21, 2005
    Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim

August 15, 2005 > 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
    Preliminary Rounds

August 16, 2005 > 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
    Preliminary Rounds

August 17, 2005 > 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 p.m.
    Round of 32

August 18, 2005 > 2:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
    Round of 16 + Quarter Finals (Women’s Doubles)

August 19, 2005 > Noon – 5:00 p.m.
    Quarter Finals (Women’s Singles, Men’s Singles, Mixed Doubles)

August 19, 2005 > 6:30 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
    Quarter Finals (Men's Doubles)
    Semi Finals (Women’s Doubles)

August 20, 2005 > Noon – 5:00 p.m.
    Semi-Finals (Women’s Singles, Men’s Singles, Mixed Doubles)

August 20, 2005 > 6:30 p.m. – 11:00 p.m.
    Semi Finals (Men's Doubles)
    Finals (Women’s Doubles)

August 21, 2005 > 5:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
    Finals (Women’s Singles, Men’s Doubles, Men’s Singles, Mixed Doubles)

*Times and dates are subject to change without notice. All times are listed in Pacific Standard Time.

11. w3wmfhe

w3wmfhe Regular Member

espn sucks

espn sucks...5 hours highligt:eek:...geeeee..
    it is nothing....at lease they broadcast the entired final....
    even high school cheerleader competetions r able to show the entired event....
    :crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying::crying:
    i guess USA will never able to win anything..no one really cares..5 hours highligt:mad:

12. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    And did anyone notice who the commentator will be? Bill Clement, the NHL anylist... so we can expect commentary at least as bad as that of the Athens Olympics here in the US... They have professionals do commentary for the NHL, the NBA, swimming, tennis, soccer... for God's sake, why can't they see that they need a professional doing commentary for badminton too?

13. Trance

Trance Regular Member

Student ;)
    So badminton World championships are going to be aired as highlights for one hour (more like 30 minutes subtracting the stupid commercials) of which only 5 episodes will be aired. All of this being broadcasted on ESPN 2 by a hockey analyst.

2!

ESPN 2!

Really. There's no respect for badminton here. They respect non-sports more than our sport. This is really a shame. I really do hope that at least it is broadcasted to Asia in hopes that someone will eventually put it on the web. This is really sad that the U.S. won't even broadcast the event even if it is held in its own country.

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    look at the bright side: it a step forward. we went from 20 seconds of CNN in the past decade, into hours of live coverage in Athens2004 and 5 HOURS of 2005 WC.

to me, that's a good first step, we cannot expect them to take out hours of primetime to devote to a sport that they don't know would take off or not.

i think we should all write to ESPN2 to thank them. if there are enough of us writing to them, it will make a difference.

15. OTFK

OTFK Regular Member

engineer
    I support that. People always response better to compliment than you know what. Also, the more people watch the broadcast - ESPN will notice that there is a market out there - maybe more sponsors for badminton one day.

Keep thinking positive - you build it, they will come. :D

16. foobart

foobart Regular Member

Kwun and OTFK,

I'm all for looking at the bright side of things and looking at glasses as 10% full, but this coverage of a small capsule several weeks later is really bad!

Also, I don't think we need to have ESPN or any of the majors broadcast it. I wish the organizers hooked up with any, any of the 100+ channels, and broadcast full matches, even if time delayed at any time of the day. There are just so many channels when I flip through that have some really inane stuff I can't believe they can't find a channel to do that. Olympics coverage was pretty good even though it was on a sort of an obscure channel(BRAVO) and in the wee hours. Basic requirement is, good coverage , no matter where or when on the dial..

Some of us from here should contact the organizers(start with the one on the ESPN press release?) and see what the organizers are doing about this. Kwun? If they're really super excited about the ESPN2 scraps, maybe we can't do much.. Hope ESPN didn't demand exclusive rights and the organizers gave them that!!

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    foobart,

ESPN/2 is a business entity, it will be crazy for them (at least from their point of view) to devote hours and hours of their air time to a sport in which they have no idea on how popular it will be. live broadcast and air time cost $$. what they are doing now is just testing the water. put in a few hours of highlights, put out the best stuff, and see what the reaction is.

frankly, to blindly broadcast all matches will be suicidal. as much as i love watching badminton, i think many general TV audience will not find badminton as exciting as we do. best is to show the best stuff (ie. highlights) for now.

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu

how do TV land people know how popular a show is?? Do they still employ survey unit on selected families and read their viewing log? (neilson rating)

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    we'll be lucky if we see a minute of highlight on our TV :mad:

20. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

I think kwun is right there.Better some 'quality' coverage than a little more average coverage[?]
    like kwun mentioned it would be a big gamble to give hrs of coverage for a sport that is far from popular in the US.but i thought they could have telecasted atleast the men singles semis and finals live.
    The problem here i think is that while it is a good sign that ESPN have come forward,even if the audience do get interested and the WC is [like it should]able to attract a decent population of the US,nobody really knows when an event as big as this will come back to the U.S.Maybe if the Thomas cup too would be held next year there then there would be more telecast after seeing people's response to the WC.
    So what i am saying is that if the WC does attract/suprise the US,it is difficult to expect a badminton boom out there since people's memory is short.We need tournaments like these in sucession if we need more badminton popularity.

But the important thing is that it is the US that can change the image of the game and it may well be a Start in August :cool:

#20 DaN_fAn, Jul 1, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2005