Taufik Will Be Banned From Playing This Wc 2006

Discussion in 'World Championships 2006' started by indra, Sep 17, 2006.

1. ploppers

ploppers Regular Member

A ban for 3 to 6 months isn't that big considering he rarely cares about small tournys newayz:D:D

2. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    What i mean is that he is better off stay in Indonesia. Where he is popular. No point going to other country and sort of start over.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Let me clarify. I couldn't see the shuttle clearly as I was up in the stands.
    It was only Red who was looking down the line.

Agree, even LCW did so with that stupid comment he got. i.e.

4. red00ecstrat

red00ecstrat Regular Member

(Full Time) Coolie. (Part Time) Photojournalist.
    if i can remember correctly. in the second dispute of ld vs kj. i can hear the conversation between the referee and her clearly cos at that time i was sitting under her chair.
    i had mentioned it before. the referee asked the umpire. "can u see that clearly?" she said, "no i can't see it clearly." then the referee point to the linesman for his answer. the linesman pointed toward the line. then the referee looked at the umpire again. but the umpire said." but i don't wann change!"
    her exactly wording in spoken cantonese were "唔....我費事改啦!"

5. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

To those who could not understand cantonese, that means " man it's too troublesome, don't change it !" .

6. george333

george333 Regular Member

Associate Director
    I don't think IBF should be handing out punishment so late, I mean, it has been so long that the whole thing has kind of blown over. He should still be punished, yes, but not a ban for half a year. I mean tennis players like Marat Safin and the young Roger Federer used to throw fits and such and the ATP never banned them. On the plus side, if Taufik is indeed banned for a half year, then he might be more motivated and inclined to win the World Championships since he will miss out on the All England and the Asian Games which is his only goal it seems for this year.

7. Timbuctoo

Timbuctoo Regular Member

Hmm, what do they do in Tennis if something like this happens? Here's what I feel the result should be and how umpires should be picked:

1. As with the Soccer Worldcup umpires should be selected so they won't be bias (from a diiferent country not related to either player). Preventing this sought of thing from happening is better than solving a messy aftermarth.

2. Taufik should be fined and accept the fine like any professional from any sport should (If he is judged by IBF as guilty). Suspension in badminton shouldn't happen because it is not football, no ones life is in danger. Kids can learn from that sought of behaviour in a positive or negative way. In football players are suspended because usually the action was dangerous and we don't want our kids to copy that sought of thing.

3. Don't blame the umpire, we learn this as kids. Put your hands up if you have ever made an unforced error in Badminton, umpires do to. Umpires need to have professional training to minimize mistakes, if this umpire made a mistake give training for 6 months before he can umpire another match that would be penalty enough. If the umpire is right then just leave him/her alone.

4. Referees must not be from a country represented by either player and should be selected as close to the match starting time as possible so that match fixing can't occur. Any referee seen to be antagonising a player should be fined and then reviewed to see if the incident is serious enough for dimissal.

Main thing is that Taufik should be fined if he is judged guilty. He should accept it and get over it and back to playing good Badminton. He should want to do that for himself and take some harden up obat!!

8. kontrabando

kontrabando Regular Member

IT Manager
    Taufik

by the way, am just curious guys....What is TH's religion?

9. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

Who said so. After reading here and there, I conclude that Taufik's target of the year would be the Doha Asian Games in December. His target of the year not even this madrid WC.
    Banning him for 3-6 can cost him and Indonesian sport the chance of winning badminton medals in the event.

Banning the umpire/referee will cost anyone what?

10. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    Even if he did train for WC for this year, with his past actions, I think he doesn't deserve to play. He knows it himself.

11. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

red00ecstrat has clarified that he did not hear the argument between Taufik and the umpire referee. Cheung has clarified that she/he did not see the shuttle clearly. You will need another witness, it will be better anyone that actually heard what have been said in the incident.

#71 Ningtyas, Sep 18, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  12. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

No, taufik-ist. If Taufik decide to retire so soon, there will be lot of Indonesian figures who will take an effort to persuade him not to retire so soon. I guess they will remind Taufik that "bangsa ini masih membutuhkan sumbangsihmu." hehehe. Maybe with lot of promises, and 'wejangan' to behave better on court. Maybe this photograph will tell you a lot. This photograph taken on Madrid airport, Sunday.
    http://www.presidensby.info/index.php/galeri/album/thumb/detail/308/1725/index.html

#72 Ningtyas, Sep 18, 2006
  13. v3nnnn

v3nnnn Regular Member

student
    He is Muslim..
    btw..why u asked about religion?:rolleyes:

14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Out of topic...but what is SBY doing at Madrid? :eek: To lend his support to the team? :cool:

15. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

hehehe, even the players were surprised. Here is news from the Jakarta Post today.

Indonesian women clear first hurdle at championships
    Primastuti Handayani, The Jakarta Post, Madrid

The World Badminton Championships began Monday in Madrid, Spain, with Indonesia's unseeded women's singles and doubles players clearing their first hurdles.
    Fransisca "Nana" Ratnasari, whose goal coming in was just to make the third round, got off to a shaky start before conquering her opening-day jitters and defeating the little-known Jeanine Cicognini of Switzerland 21-18, 21-17.
    She said the pressure of the championships forced her into numerous unforced errors.
    "It's always like this, especially in a big event. I consider myself lucky to face an unseeded player in the first round," Nana said. "I can't imagine if I had to face a seeded player in the early rounds. I would be unable to do anything."
    Her next match, however, will be tougher as she meets Malaysia's Wong Mew Choo, who had to come from behind to beat Chien Yu-Chin of Chinese Taipei 18-21, 22-20, 21-10.
    Nana lost to Wong in their only previous encounter, at the 2006 Uber Cup qualifying session in Jaipur, India, in February.
    Wong, who also blamed nervousness for her sluggish start in her opening match, said she was confident about her chances against Nana as long as she played her "normal game".
    "I played badly today, I was nervous because it's my first game," said Wong.
    Indonesian team manager Lius Pongoh said Nana would have to play better in the second round Wednesday if she hoped to stay in the tournament.
    "Both players have a similar type of rallying. They are both tough. It all depends on Nana. If she can minimize her unforced errors, she has a chance to win," he said.
    Nana's coach Hendrawan, who won the men's singles world championship title five years ago in Seville, Spain, said although it was unlikely his player would make it past top seed Zhang Ning of China in the third round, just competing in the event was giving her precious experience.
    "It was a good decision that the Badminton Association of Indonesia finally sent an inexperienced Nana to such a major event. It's better than last year (at the world championships in Anaheim, California) when we didn't send any women's singles or doubles players because the association thought they didn't have a chance (of winning)," he said recently in Jakarta ahead of the national squad's departure for Spain.
    Indonesia has had only two women's world champions: Verawaty Fadjrin in 1980 and Susy Susanti in 1993.
    Earlier Monday, women's doubles Jo Novita/Greysia Polii of Indonesia scored an unconvincing 21-10, 19-21, 21-9 opening round win against Rachel Van Cutsen/Paulien Van Dooremalen of the Netherlands. They will now face the Estonian pair of Piret Hamer/Helen Reino, who had a walkover win against Russia's Evgenia Dimova/Anna Efremova.
    "We have to be more careful in the next match, not make too many errors," Jo said.
    If they get past the Estonians, they will likely meet top seeds Gao Ling/Huang Sui in the third round.

Later Monday, men's singles Sony Dwi Kuncoro will face Raul Must of Estonia.
    Defending champion Taufik Hidayat will play his first match Tuesday at 1:30 p.m.local time (6:30 p.m. in Jakarta) against Ng Wei of Hong Kong, while Indonesian men's doubles Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan will play an hour later against Ali Shahhoseini/Golam Reza Bagheri of Iran.

Taufik's preparations for the championships have been in question, especially with his poor performance in two tune-up tournaments in Korea and Hong Kong. He may also face an inquiry from the International Badminton Federation for walking off the court in Hong Kong during his match with China's Lin Dan after a questionable line call.
    His coach Mulyo Handoyo earlier expressed concern Taufik didn't have the right motivation to defend his title.
    "He already has it all. He won the world championship and the Olympics. I just hope I can boost his fighting spirit for the championships," he said before the team's departure last week.

Although the championships have not really grabbled the attention of people in Madrid -- the only sign outside the venue that the event is taking place is three badminton courts set up in front of the Palacio de Deportes de la Comunidad de Madrid -- Indonesian shuttlers received a surprise morale boost from the President. Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono held an impromptu meeting with the athletes while transiting at Madrid Barajas Airport after attending the Non-Aligned Movement summit in Havana, Cuba, last week.
    During the meeting, Yudhoyono told the players "not to be burdened by the pressure and to just do your best at the championships".

Other results: Men's singles: Bjoern Joppien (Ger) bt Lee Yen Hui Kendrick (Sgp) 21-17, 18-21, 22-20 Joachim Persson (Den x9) bt Shon Sheung Mo (Kor) 22-20, 21-13 Women's singles: Fransisca Ratnasari (Ina) bt Jeanine Cicognini (Swi) 21-18, 21-17 Wong Mee-Chow (Mal x9) bt Chien Yu-Chin (Tpe) 18-21, 22-20, 21-10 Kaori Mori (Jpn x7) bt Anu Nieminen (Fin) 21-18, 21-11 Elin Bergblom (Swe) bt Maja Kersnik (Slo) 21-17, 21-16 Women's doubles: Jo Novita/Greysia Polii (Ina) bt Rachel Van Cutsen/Paulien Van Dooremalen (Ned) 21-10, 19]-21, 21-9 Mixed doubles: Hendra Wijaya/Fan Frances Liu (Sgp) bt Grace Daniel/Orobosa Okuonghae (Ngr) 21-8, 21-13

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

..thanks for the input, Timbuctoo...Yah, i agree having a non-local referee over a tourney is an option. But i doubt they are being bias for his/her own country's players.
    Hmm, I am not 100% sure abt the rules & regulations but as far as i know, usually there are 2 Referees assigned in a tourney:1 who is called the Tournament Referee, and then there is also a Deputy Referee.
    And in a specific tournament, the organizer/committe has a choice to either use a *local* IBF-approved person to preside over that chosen position(s) or another foreign Referee. Thus those 2 referees are "fixed" & *can not* be selected before, during or after a specified match...;)

#76 ctjcad, Sep 18, 2006
  17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Will he follow thru on his words??..

..hmm, well, Taufik said the same thing at end of last yr's WC(as i was there literally sitting next to him doing the translation as a reporter asked him what is/are his next plan/goal), which he said his next target was the Asian Games(near end of last yr) and then the All-England(early this yr)...Yet, he hasn't followed thru on those words, has he?:rolleyes:...So, for us, i guess we'll just take his "words" as simply "talks", until he proves otherwise..;)
    "Banning" Taufik for a specified period of time will show that PBSI has "backbone", can stand up to its principle and knows what is "the right thing to do"...Most importantly, it will show who is "running the show"..;)

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A bit off topic..

hehe, yah, i know neither red00ecstrat nor Cheung did; i never point to a specific person to have heard the actual conversation, have I??..:rolleyes: :p ..That's why both parties have to give their own accounts first & foremost, which if they did(not sure if it's gonna be under somekind of an oath), i hope will come out 100%..;)

#78 ctjcad, Sep 18, 2006
  19. Ningtyas

Ningtyas Regular Member

There was no Asian Games near end of last year, ctcjad. What do you mean exactly?

Yes he hasn't fulfilled has words with regard to All England, but the reason was clear, he's not well-prepared due to his wedding preparation. As he said then, he prefer not go than 'daripada hasilnya tidak maksimal'.

He's true to his word with the Olympic, he's true to his words with regards to the last World Championship, yah, but not this time.

20. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Banning Taufik is a bit heavy handed --- a fine should have sufficed. It just shows IBF is as irrational as Taufik.

Will Taufik react to this ban ? I think this would finish him -- he is likely to call it quits because it is hard to sit on the sideline for 3-6 months without playing and then to come back again.

He should go and play for a club in Denmark like Roslin, which does not come under IBF's influence, if the ban takes place. It is likely PBSI will appeal on his behalf, and I think IBF should quash the ban and impose a fine instead.