TAUFIK the DOMINATOR

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by POSHBOY, Aug 21, 2005.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Well, mis-interpretation, mis-understanding and exaggeration can happen esp. doing translation. I'm not saying that it's the person translating back to Mandarin that is exaggerating or not telling the real translation. It could be from the reporter themselves..

On that note, i learned something valuable helping out as a translator. That is, to always keep a notepad handy to write long answers, questions as to not mis-interpret, mis-understood and exaggerate those long answers, questions etc...Because if one tries to just memorize and remember, hehe, one is bound to do those things above.. :p :rolleyes:

BTW, doing the interpretation for Taufik and the rest of the Indo players are fun, but after a while, i just wish that it's better if they can speak in English themselves, hey, they are professional international players..

2. Darth Andrianus

Darth Andrianus Regular Member

Student
    Lost in translation Part 2

This is so cool, I didn't know you do translation work! Can I ask you something about the Sudirman Cup? I don't know if I should start another thread on this, but just wondering, do you think that during the Sudirman Cup the chinese media deliberately exagerrated comments made by Taufik so as to infuriate/motivate/aggravate the chinese team, Lin Dan especially? I watched some video clips of these press conferences and Taufik didn't seem like the cocky type to me, he did seem confident but not as over-the-top as how some of these chinese articles made him out to be. Being a chinese indonesian and therefore having the privilege of understanding Taufik and the chinese articles at the same time, I have this strange feeling the chinese reporters might have 'editted' the comments. I take it you might have some insider information?

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Darth,
    i actually posted in other threads that i was helping doing the translation both for tv post-match interviews and at the Press Media room. I was one of the LO(Indonesian team), who the organizer asked to help out with the translation, so no, i didn't request to do any translating. Just asked to help out. On the Finals day(Sunday), i was asked to "take over" at the Press Media conference. So, yah, i was a bit lucky to actually do the translating..

Regarding what i think about the SC and the assumption the Chinese media did "exaggerate/edit" some comments by Taufik "to motivate the Chinese team", hmm, i can't comment on that. Maybe it's true, maybe not, i can't confirm as i wasn't there to hear what's going on or what was actually said..

Yes, throughout the whole week, even going out with him and the team to a dinner as well as during the brief interviews and the Press Media conference etc., as far as i see or remember, i didn't see Taufik behave or say anything to the media or whenever he was in public that showed his "over the top" or reflected any of his so-called "the wild child of badminton" antics & behaviors..For what it is best described, he looked quite "mature".. :rolleyes: :cool:
    Biasa-biasa aja sih dia..

#83 ctjcad, Aug 30, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2005
  4. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    lol, the chinese media always try to make Taufik sound cocky~
    same happened in Surdiman cup... sad indeed...
    thanks ctjcad for the details! :D

5. jump_smash

jump_smash Regular Member

IT
    Pardon me, but where is "ulverstone".

Australia could have had a chance of getting Taufik just like other countries when he was in Singapore , after all we have had solid chances with other world champs (former), Fung Permardi, Wang Cheng, etc.

We have had a short history of former Indos, Lenny Permana and Rio Suryana

6. Slugs

Slugs Regular Member

A bit dodgy here. Which is incorrect, the translation or the original text of the Press Media conference?

Anyway, for want of a better terminology, ctjcad is an interpreter for Taufik while Darth is a translator for the sports.163.com text.:)

7. kemana

kemana Regular Member

i feel that too, although i don't know why . maybe they just misunderstand him

8. aiyuuw

aiyuuw Regular Member

good 'ol student
    hmm, i think its more of becos the media puts him as lin dan's and also china's biggest obstacle to rule the men badminton, and whn they played in sudirman cup comp. people were all talking about their possible encounter, then lin dan being a chinese and their hero, while taufik was the 'enemy', maybe thats why the chine press sometimes do that, but thats just my thought

9. kemana

kemana Regular Member

maybe they think a little exaggeration will make the game more dramatic :D

10. kemana

kemana Regular Member

haha, i play badminton , although not very good at it :D you make me reallize how lucky i am ;)
    and if you are really looking for such a country , i should say welcome to china:D