Swiss Open 2007 - Day 7 (18 Mar) - FINALs

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2007' started by hcyong, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo Regular Member

Student
    I wanted to join the forum during the Finals but got too preoccupied in front of the tv.The Finals was okay.Not very exciting.The MS was a dissapointment.I think Simon could have played better.CJ was so dominant.But I think Simon is cute though and I like his hair.Haha.WS was quite okay.Lu Lan had some good winning points but of course the more experienced player won.The XD hmm...hoping for INA to win but the Koreans were just better and INA made a few errors here and there which cost them some crucial points.WD...no comment.And MD was a bit erratic at the beginning.Both pairs made a lot of errors.All in all, a quite satisfying SO on my part.Hehe.

2. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

in the men doubles, there are some arguments n dissatisfaction from the danes pair right?

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    No not sour, but just waited all afternoon to watch it, and it was a let down. Both pairs made many errors, not many good rallies.

4. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Please, fatigue finally set in,he played 3 more (MSQ) matches than CJ;he did not crumble under pressure. Poor Simon was just sapped of energy. CJ won on stamina.

5. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I concur with James, the MD match was full of errors, and MAS only took control at midgame in 2nd game. Not as exciting as the AE Semis and Final the previous week.

And Martin's service errors compounded matters, even infected the often reliable Koo .....

Gill Clark mentioned that MAS was not at their best. At that stage, I actually thought MAS was going to lose this one ....., I suppose they heard her comments and played better after that.

6. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Really felt that INA XD should have taken the title, the Koreans were nothing spectacular in the final.

Ah well, maybe next time. Hope they get all the opportunity to shine, 'cos I think this new pair is more stable than Lilyana Natsir/Nova Widianto.

7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

OoO Istora is well-known as 'scary venue' for foreign players plus fanatic INA supporters in this stadium. Absolutely upcoming Indo SuperSeries will be real-test for super shuttlers like KKK/TBH and all top-Chinese.

Overall, the final-result wasn't so dissapointed although China still stronger than other contingents. Simon seemed nervous in his first big final so he couldn't develop his performance. A qualifier became finalist of course get special attention from local audience and good impact for him : his world-rank will fast-increase automatically and no need to join qualification-round next time.

8. phaarix

phaarix Regular Member

Did you watch it? I thought it was quite obvious from his body language that he felt nervous/under pressure. Lack of energy may have played a part as well though.

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I partially agree with this one. Yes CJ won because Simon didn't have enough energy, but as a professional badminton player it is their job to ensure theyhave enough energy and are fit enough to play the length and amount of play required.

I don't feel that the number of games is a factor. They will train harder in training than in a game (where they can slow the pace if neccessary).

Also CJ will have played Virtually every day for three weeks. Although he lost in SF to Chen Yu the moring of the finals My friends saw him training hard at AE venue with the other team members.

10. meihong

meihong Regular Member

got any photos??
    especially koo n tan's!!!

11. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

CJ's a robot, i've never seen him tire before. i think CJ and LD are probably amongst the fittest players out there, i don't think BCL or TH can match them. perhaps PG and LCW can keep up, but i doubt they can surpass the chinese duo, fitness-wise.

12. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    PG is not good fitness wise. Stamina was always a weak point for him (possibly brought on by his game style).

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    With his latest SO Final appearance as runner-up, Simon Santoso must have gained enough ranking points to catapult him into the main draw of his next SS, perhaps the Singapore Open in early May.

Then he no longer needs to play as many as three qualifying matches to be eligible for the main draw but will enjoy a direct entry. Though as a professional, Simon has to ensure he has to be fit at all times for his matches, he is still human and the uneven playing requirements for him to play three extra matches not only saps his physical energy but also his mental faculties. He could be tired out mentally before reaching the finals.

If Simon goes direct into the main draw, then no one can complain that he is disadvantaged! But Lady Luck may not be with Simon if he should be drawn to meet the World No.1 in Round One! :rolleyes:

#753 Loh, Mar 20, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  14. ina_for_china

ina_for_china Regular Member

secret
    all my prediction is true,,,,,ehmmmmmm............thats me>> always wright....
    especially abot ina vs CHINA

15. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    A good step forward for Simon, after Sony had done the same in AE ....

Now that they both know they are on par with the top guys, maybe PBSI would be more serious and send them to more tournaments. PBSI didn't do justice to them last year ....

And if BAM is not careful, MAS will be left behind by INA, DEN and CHN.

16. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Stamina is the problem; looking nervous is just one symptom of it. Do you look perky when you are bushed? I don't think Simon lacks fitness; he's definitely fitter than Sony.Fitness is slightly different from stamina.It's like a car when well serviced,will perform smoothly,when badly maintained,will work but not perform.Stamina has to do with how much is in the tank. Again it does not mean the bigger cc is the winner.Some cars are economical, some are guzzlers. Some players use a lot of energy during play;others play with less effort for the same strokes.
    I wonder if CJ had to play 3 extra MSQ matches and Simon didn't when they met in the finals, what would have been the outcome? Anyway , let's hope Simon need not play MSQ anymore so when he meets CJ, with the same starting point, would he still look nervous? The one thing i like about INA players is they're fearless. Otherwise Sony and Simon wouldn't come this far in the no-show of TH.(By the way, I do like CJ;personality wise ,he comes across down-to-earth.)

17. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    everyone is just too tired after AE... maybe not only physically but also mentally....

18. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

U talking about u ? Coz KKK said he can go another European round if he has to.