strings coating

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by harry, May 12, 2001.

1. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    Re: woho kwun!

ahhhhh so you two are roadies(brett sounds like a hybrid rider to me.....with the suspension and all....but the 100 components?).
    i do XC stuff "[ too bad i dunno much about road stuff

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

Brett,

i've never tried a Merlin. too expensive, i need to spend my money on badminton instead.. :)

going from a CAAD3 to a Litespeed was day and night difference already..

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

Shaun,

you should see the light and try road biking instead. it helps you build up stamina better than XC. it is really handy next time you need to play those 3 games singles.

4. Brett

Brett Regular Member

I'll admit I have sort of a hybrid - I have an old Specialized Crossroads Sport with Suntour X-1 components (between the Deore LX and DX range) and knobby as hell 45C tires. I tend to ride it more often because it is easier to just get out the door and onto a bike path. I actually prefer riding my Cannodale, but it seems like a lot more work to get to good roads for roadbiking. I better not let it gather much dust this summer though. My girlfriend caught the cycling bug from me a few years ago, bought a nice $1000 LeMond, but since we haven't been out road biking much the last two summers, she is threatening to sell the LeMond.

I'd love to have even a cheapo Ti bike made in China, let alone one of those beauties from Litespeed, Seven or Merlin, but I guess I'm getting too old to justify expensive toys like that right now.

5. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!

lol okay kwun...i might try road biking but i gotta save up for one heh heh...wots a good one? Giant OCR-2 seems good to me for a starter's bike!
    Right now, if anyone cares for specs, i have an ATX 840:
    6061 easton tubing
    alivio components(bleh)
    LX crankset
    Weinman double wall rims
    Avid front disc brake
    geax revert kevlar tires
    RST381R fork(will upgrade to manitau sx!!)
    and and BLT Explorer head lights! wohoooo are they ever bright!

6. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Don't get one of Giant's bottom of the line road bikes. I tried a cheap steel one a few hears ago and in addition to having a 40cm bar (normal ones are 42cm), it road like it was made from plumbing pipe. A middle of the line aluminum frame or one of the lower cost carbon frames might be the way to go for a Giant road bike.

Now if you want to go with a hand-made North American frame with a nice comfortable ride, get a Trek made in my state, Wisconsin, or one from its subsidiary LeMond. Treks shouldn't be that much more expensive than a Giant/Specialized/GT/Mongoose (maybe $50-100) and have a relaxed geometry that is comfortable for longer rides. If you want a super stiff, fast as hell road bike, get a Cannondale.

Whatever you do, make sure you get a fairly recent model bike that has Shimano's STI shifters or Campy's Ergopower shifters. They should be pretty much standard for any bike made after 1998.

7. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!

hmmmmm brett, do u know how much money that will cost me?
    because i'm still in the process of upgrading my mtn bike! "]

8. Brett

Brett Regular Member

A young man possessing the wherewithal to buy ten racquets in the past six months should have plenty of resources available for a suitable road bike.

I'm guessing (haven't looked a prices in a few years) that the bikes I mentioned are probably going to be available in the US $700-900 price range, which, while not cheap, is a lot of bike compared to what was available a few years ago. I think Shimano and maybe Campagnolo may have introduced a budget group of road components a year ago or so, so go with the better frame and the cheaper components - you can always upgrade derailleurs later.

If that is too much, look for an used road bike. You could probably pick one in the $300-400 range. Contact some local bike clubs and see if they have a web site where you can inquire about anyone wanting to get rid of an old bike.

Back to badminton. You are now using a Fischer racquet? What happened to the Ti-10? Let's see if Kwun can add a category in the racquet reviews for Miscellaneous Brands, so you can post a review of this new Ti-10.

9. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Shaun, heck out this website, they have several bikes cheaper than I mentioned:

http://www.bikeswholesale.com/

10. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!

Brett, i haver had a Ti10, aaron did....i tried his out.
    i just use a fischer that i am very satisfied with and didnt have the intesion of buying a new racquet...but i'm getting an mp100 as a gift anyways lol.
    as for the ten racquets in the past few months, i either got a refund on them or sold them for PROFIT "] so in actual fact, i'm not as wealthy as might suspect.
    The most money I have spent in something is my bike.

11. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!

thanx for the site brett! i'm checking it out right now!

12. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!

uh brett, they only have mtn stuff "[

13. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!

nm i found it now heh