So who wants to see Taufik not playing?

Discussion in 'Korea Open / Hong Kong Open 2006' started by Cheung, Aug 31, 2006.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    (mod: merged two threads of practically the same topic.)

2. dropper

dropper Regular Member

Sales
    There is IBF guidance and rules on how to handle a situation where a "line judge did not see the shuttlecock landing well enough to make a call (unsighted line judge)". The line judge then closes his eyes with his hands indicating he did not see the shuttle landing to make the IN or OUT call. But, the line judge must clearly indicate this by putting his hands in front of his eyes. Then if the umpire saw the shuttle landing clearly, he can make the call IN or OUT. If the umpire also did not clearly see where the shuttle landed then he will instruct the players to play a "LET"; i.e., replay the point.

However, this was not the case in the point of contention here. Line judge indicated that he clearly saw the shuttle to be "IN". Although this was a correction to his previous call of "OUT", still, the "IN" is his call and that stays as the final call unless the umpire over rules the line judge with his call of "OUT". Otherwise the line judge's call is final, and the umpire can't replay that as a "LET".

Some people are grasping for straw, where the right thing to do is to follow the rules and laws that govern all the players, umpires, line judges, and referees. I remember telling that people's emotions are going to rule the day rather than following the laws and rules that are already in the IBF books; what a shame...!

#282 dropper, Sep 6, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

thank you again for the explanation, dropper. Re the statement i've highlighted in bold above, if i may add, i think in order for the umpire to over-rule the linejudge's call, the umpire must have a clear & firm view himself of where the shuttle landed. And of course, he can do that, only with the request from the player, correct..?!?!..

#283 ctjcad, Sep 6, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  4. dropper

dropper Regular Member

Sales
    Yes, the umpire must have a clear view himself of where the shuttle landed.

No, the umpire does not need a request from any of the players to over rule a call made by a line judge. Actually he must not wait for the player request; as soon as the umpire cleary - 100% - sees the line judge's call is incorrect, the umpire should immediately say, "Correction", and make the correct call. No player request or indication is needed.

Actually, the umpire has the option to bring in the referee and request the line judge be replaced, if in the umpire's opinion the line judgs was doing a bad job. But, umpire is not going to do that unless the line judge had been not paying attention and/or had blown a couple of calls prior to that.

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A bit off topic..

thanks again for the explanation, dropper..Re the statement i've highlighted in bold above, i concur. That's why there is/are linejudge(s), watching those shuttles, as they are the "2nd eyes" or sometimes even the "1st eyes"(for the linejudge(s) on the far back corners) of the umpire; meaning, if there is/are any doubt(s) from the umpire abt the call, s/he can basically confer & confirm with the linejudge(s) themselves.:rolleyes: ;)

#285 ctjcad, Sep 7, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's quite true. Actually, I think that is probably the main reason for the disputes. Wether that means going back to 15x3 is another issue. I think we need to go forward rather than go back. We have had some great matches with the scoring system. The rules, line judges and IBF will have to work on these issues for the world's fastest racquet sport. Change will inevitably to other changes. We, and IBF, should expect it. The reaction should be active rather than passive.

7. Amin Khalili

Amin Khalili Regular Member

Student
    Well .. I know this thread already few ages old , but just wondering/curious , on the 1st page that you guys discussing , what tournament is that?

8. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    That was the Hong Kong open 2006.