So who wants to see Taufik not playing?

Discussion in 'Korea Open / Hong Kong Open 2006' started by Cheung, Aug 31, 2006.

1. dropper

dropper Regular Member

Sales
    CTJCAD and Cooler,

You guys are right on the money. If PBSI defends TH's action that is a disgraceful act. And if IBF doesn't deal with this issue fairly and sternly then they are a disgrace to the sport. I think all line judges should stop working if IBF doesn't deal with this issue quickly. This really would be a slap on the face on the line judging community who do a tremendous job considering their work is 100% volunteer work, and they pay for their trvel 100% also except sometimes they are given accommodation at a cheap motel. Let the players call all of their lines, and see what chaos that will create at 6 star tournaments.

Actually, line judges threatened with a protest to sit out at the Dutch or the German Open (in 2003 I believe) when the umpires were given the right to over rule line judges' calls. Finally they did their usual job...I think this situation is worse than that, especially condidering TH was not even given a yellow card for his actions on court.

#261 dropper, Sep 5, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2006
  2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i believe pbsi reaction was quick and predictable. First they loves their cushy over staffed jobs and don't want to rock the boat. Second reason sealed the stance taken; taufik's father in law is a director of the sport council. It's a no brainer decision for pbsi. They dont even need to wait and see what ibf gonna do first. This make ibf's decision, if any, even harder to me.

I think BAM and danish badminton should register their displeasure to the ibf regarding this. It is taufik's W/O that distorted the MS final outcome. If LD had a tough match with taufik or even LD got eliminated (KJ came close doing it), the MS final outcome maybe a lot different. Each new encounter between ld and lcw, lcw stamina improved more and more each time. Could the extra rest ld enjoyed helped squeak by lcw??? I say there is a possibility.

#262 cooler, Sep 5, 2006
  3. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

HKO is unique

Agree. HKO is unusual. (This being the first time I have watched it)
    One, the umpires and service judges seemed to be all from Hong Kong, which essentially means China.
    Two, the umpires' behaviour indicated they did not know that umpires now have the right to overrule bad line calls or they were unwilling to do so. (LCW had two bad line calls against him in the final; the first one was 50/50 ,so he let it go, the second one was CLEARLY IN, so he did the unusual - appeal to the umpire for an overrule.The umpire could have overruled because he was in a position to clearly see the shuttle land, it was right at his doorstep, so to speak. He did not, which meant he was either sleeping or not interested to uphold the integrity of the match. In other words, a housekeeper or wimp of an umpire, the worst kind.
    Three, the service judge has the final say on shuttle change, in a sly way and the umpire will close one eye.
    Pity. Otherwise it would have been the best Open so far this year. One thing's for sure. TH won't be back and maybe LCW should play in Singapore Open and skip HKO instead.

4. quik_silver

quik_silver Regular Member

Analyst
    So is IBF going to have any sort of punishment for Taufik for leaving the court? (Which voliated one of the laws of badminton.. )

*edit.
    And it was only 3-1 or 4-1.. There was a possibility that he can catch up and win the match... What bad sport...

#264 quik_silver, Sep 5, 2006
  5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Remember the so-called PUNISH & REWARDS system proposed by PBSI??..

..hmm, for those of you who knew or have followed the last yr or so, that was/is the system PBSI has been implementing in "judging" or "gaging" the players that have been sent overseas to compete...

However, not only with this Taufik incident, but with his results at the 2 tourneys, will PBSI implement the same PUNISH and REWARDS system to him??...
    Does anyone still know if this system is still in effect??..I guess with the recent developments and news, at least for Taufik, this system doesn't apply to him...:p :rolleyes: ;)

#265 ctjcad, Sep 5, 2006
  6. indra

indra Regular Member

Imposing (heavy) sanctions on TH is crazy!!! Agree with rhinovinda that he has shown what has not been done by IBF.....TH has waken up the IBF to do what it has not done yet...

If in the future IBF finally uses an instant video replay system to minimize controversies, we all must thank TH, not punish him. :D

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

well, if taufik explains his action why he did what he did, and what was really said and by whom, I think more people would sympathize his cause. So far pbsi had said it's out by 10cm. I think ibf should interview the umpire and lindjudge as well to clear the air. Something is not adding up right here.

#267 cooler, Sep 5, 2006
  8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Update news from JawaPos web (06/09/06) : PBSI is certain that TH will free of IBF's sanction because his incident in HkO last week is usual condition which has often happened with any shuttlers not is the first time.In fact (so far), IBF never give any sanction except stating a misconduct bdm player lost although the match has not finished yet.PBSI and officials were held meeting yesterday at Jakarta City Hall where PBSI Chairman Sutiyoso just asked HkO result and reason why TH refused to continue his QF-match against LD.That meeting only spent approx.30 min. without TH's attendance and didn't discuss seriously about the sanction. Well,it seems TH is really relax and doesn't care with the issue!

9. mona_san

mona_san Regular Member

WEll i am not at all surprised by his bad behavious on the court. hes so arrogant. he thinks that he is the best badminton player in the whole universe. i often notice his comments regarding other players, especially in recent Thomas Cup, that the Chinese team won. He said that the real champion is the one who wins the olympics and the world badminton comps. How sad. I remember how he used to create problems for PBSI, he often threatened to quit PBSI. When things didnt go his way. PBSI should have kicked him out. I dont care whether he plays badminton or not, there a alot of very talented players around and IBF should make him pay a fine and reprimand him for his actions.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I'm actually quite surprised at the boderline line calls this year. There are some explanations worth considering -

1) the judging is biased - Difficult suggestion. Indonesia have won the Thomas Cup in HK in the past even against China.

2) line judges have got worse - alternatively the standard of play has gone up so that the smashes are really very difficult to judge compared with 10-15 years ago.

3) players are becoming more vocal.

As for the assertion of 10cm out - this must be an exaggeration

It has always been the case. Some of the umpires go to other countries for other tournaments.

Wimp could be the correct word. I haven't seen the finals, though.

11. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Singapore OPen is international

Cheung, do see the finals and tell us what you think.It's pretty rivetting until the umpire came on the screen. You might then find a stronger word than wimp. BTW, our Singapore Open is first class; with neutral umpires and sj except when they have their star MS play against a Malaysian MS (Susilo vs KBH : Singapore Umpire--- ha , ha!)

12. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    what does WO mean

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

walkover.......................

14. rudy6713

rudy6713 Regular Member

I thought WO means Walk OUT

15. rudy6713

rudy6713 Regular Member

I think IBF may penalize Taufik..also Umpire could not challenge Taufik by saying..if you do not accept it..you can do WO...actually umpire supervisor should stepped in and helped solve the dispute...
    If linesmen are not sure..Umpire can play the points from begining..meaning 3-1 for LD, not 4-1..I think it is fair..

16. khwong

khwong Regular Member

Self Employed
    walkover or to forfeit a match or to let your opponent win without finishing
    the match

17. zzz...

zzz... Regular Member

10cm? too much exaggeration. More like 1 cm, i believe, may be it's a typo in that article.

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Just want to make a comment on this..

Hmm, i personally don't know/recall from the top of my head, but can anyone confirm this comment, highlighted in bold above, by PBSI?? And since they say it's "usual condition", can anyone bring some past events similar to this one?? Where a player disagrees with a questionable linecall and just forfeit the match??..:confused:
    Another funny thing about the report is that, didn't Taufik "violate" a rule that's in IBF rule book (ie. misconduct by a player who lost although the match has not finished yet)??..If they(PBSI) don't know, perhaps we can show them the rule(s)/clause(s)..:p :rolleyes:

#278 ctjcad, Sep 6, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  19. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Could someone provide us an IBF rule reference for this?..

hmm, can someone provide us the rule from the IBF Rule book on this??(ie. dropper of anyone else)..thx

#279 ctjcad, Sep 6, 2006
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  20. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    Another thing to consider, is that with rally scoring to 21, each point gets much more significant so a few "missed" line-calls may be the deciding factor in close games..

So I guess this is another reason to suggest going back to 15x3!!

/Twobeer