Singapore Badminton Scene

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Jul 2, 2012.

1. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    You are lucky indeed! Not everyone are as lucky as you and benefitted from the G policies. That's why I asked you, have you been retrenched before?...do you know what these pple are going thru? Guess not? Cause in your lifetime, you only face with the good things in life.
    How to unlock the money if you only have a 3-4 room flat? Unlock and move into 1-2 room flat? How many people have or can afford 5 roomers? Easier said than done...All these are not practical if applied to families that stays together.
    Looks like your's is a lucky life and born with a silver spoon indeed...
    How many PG have yr level of education? Able to benefit from it and plan yr future?
    Thes PGs are mostly hard labour and work from hand to mouth Everyday, and have a family to feed.
    Take the eg of the recent SPH decision to retrench, all are junior level staff....these are the pple most affected as they do not have the education level Nor the work experiences to fall back upon to find alternative sources of work! So what do you want them to do if they are in their 40s,50s and 60s...change career, go and study and take up a degree? On paper is easier said than done.
    But do you know what goes thru your mind when you are retrench? Can they focus? They are not the highest educated group you know. Some have school going children! What do they do. They don't have unlimited savings to fall back on?
    What have the mgt of SPH done? Is this the best alternative? Why don't they retrench the TOP senior executive? These pple are educated and should not have problems looking for another job. What about pay cuts? Have they exercise these options. Exhausted all means of cost cutting? All these were done before a final decision to retrench? FYI, in the news, the Co is still making a hell of a profit!
    Take the case of MRT breaking down...
    Our minister says is the Maintenance team fault. Not the mgt team? Where is the accountability. One shove of responsibility to a junior level team... all got fired! Senior mgt not at fault...do you think is the right way?
    I would expect the senior mgt to resign and take responsibility for the whole fiasco. Nope, not one offered to resign! In fact, they came up with who should be fired, the junior level maintenance guys! They failed they should be fired. But who put them there? Who planned for them, who set up the policies and procedures? Who directed them? Is this what the spore we want?

And finally, what opposition are you talking about? Is there one that can threaten the ruling party to begin with? So are you really a PG? Or a FT that came in and benefited from the Gov various FT schemes...with your constant support of the G various theoretically plans?

2. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
  3. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    Bros, tried posting on the site, can we post any comments here, be it positively or negatively so that we can improved our badminton situation in SG.
    Will they read our feedback and reply us?

#823 spidey, Oct 18, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Is this really about Singapore badminton? Perhaps you guys would like to get back on track about badminton.

5. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    Hahahah, yes Cheung, carried away as we are passionate about our country's situation and the discussion indirectly affect Badminton as our Spore sports have deep rooted association with FTs and the likes.
    I Guess a lot have been said between Loh and me about Badminton in SG, but what can we do to help raise the standard.... there are so many unanswered questions by the many Bros here as well... and no news about sg Badminton at all...I wonder if this is a worthwhile fight for Badminton enthusiasts in SG or we just take it lying down...and let nature takes its time and heal itself..

isben likes this.
  6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Thanks Cheung for your timely intervention.

But I like to reply to spidey that I'm born and bred in SGP and came from a humble home like most PGs. Not a FT with a silver spoon in his mouth.

I just took on the opportunities as I went along and changed jobs to avoid retrenchment. One must be willing to adjust to circumstances and downgrade if necessary. Don't expect the G to provide everything for you. Neither should one complain too much about the G when things do not go your way.

isben likes this.
  7. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    Good for you, then you are really lucky.
    But please bear in mind there are a lot of people out there that is not as lucky as you and as fortunate as you with a proper education and opportunities....
    So we are bought up differently and we have different view of the G, we are not complaining but just stating our view that certain situations could be handled differently by G. So to you the G is great, you have a good life, unfortunately to me they are not, and there is always room for improvement....
    So different people different views and this is a free world for expressing our thoughts.

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I repeat, it is not luck. It is a conscious effort to improve one's situation by making available to yourself the opportunities that are open to all.

When you complete your secondary education, you already have the basic requirements to further improve yourself. You may not succeed the first time but you will if you have the persistence and will power to continue until you achieve your goal.

Not luck but effort is the key.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    There goes our best survivor. Seeded #2, Yeo Jia Min has been knocked out today without even winning a game. :(

BWF World Junior Championships 2017
    Order of play of Thursday, October 19, 2017

4. Not before 12:15 PM WS
    ZHOU Meng [​IMG][CHN]
    -
    [​IMG][SGP] YEO Jia Min [2]
    21-16 21-19

10. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    I repeat, you are in an ideal situation with proper guidance and advise.
    In the 1950s, 1960s, most pple are from taxi driver and hard labour back ground.... which my parents came from, do you think they have the opportunity to study in that era?
    Be honest with yourself, if you have an education in those era, you are from a well to do family already!

11. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    A close 2nd game!!!
    Do you think she was without a coach that cause her down fall?

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I have been honest with you. Precisely what I said it is through education that you can get out of your 'misery'.

I have no proper guidance nor advice as my parents were not English educated. You have to do it all by yourself, hopefully with like-minded friends who are just as ambitious. Thereafter it is matter of how you manage your own finances and your lifestyle as you earn more income.

#832 Loh, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I did not watch that match. But I think she is not flexible enough to adjust to the situation. For her standard she should have won at least a game.

14. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

perhaps Yeo didn't have the best of preparation given the turmoil in SBA. if SBA don't get their house in order, local badminton will regress.

as for the country's fortunes, i'd said the credit goes to the 1st gen of leaders. now we'd see whether the current gen or next batch of leaders can do better, or at least sustain it. i'm not optimistic though, looking at these few cases, 1) a General who fared poorly at NOL and sold it, and now he's at SPH and u know what has happened last week; 2) another General who didn't improve matters at SMRT; 3) the EP saga; 4) PAP 'fixing' opposition using whatever tools available.

for point (4), my opinion is that if they can't do a good job, they will make sure you feel opposition will be even worse (the continuous attack on WP's town council management). hence some vote for PAP not because PAP is good, but they have no choice as there is no other alternative. with a huge majority, they will continue to play the political game according to their rules, which is what they have done in the EP matter.

this is my last comment on country politics. let's focus on badminton.

15. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    Is there any news since the new CEO took over about the coaching set up?
    SBA need plans and need it fast, no heads, no targets, players will lose focus soon...

16. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    WJ happening now....
    Look at Msia, look at TH, look at Indon, look at Jap, look at France, look at Korea, look at CN...
    We need to start now man!
    Please Loh, don't tell me they have talents and big pool of players...
    We have talents as well, but we need to start now, and work hard, train very very hard, focus and the core juniors here, we are not that far behind. But we need to do it now..
    I have seen some of our juniors here, they are not bad, but need to put in the dedication and hard work need. Success doesn't come easy, don't expect success without hard work...
    Can SBA start now and come up with a plan... share with the people... juniors, and the stakeholders...we need to act now.
    I believe in 3-5 years time, there will be results, heck, we should plan for 5-10 years and beyond.
    Don't expect results in 1 year and start importing FT! Focus on this batch of juniors and we will have results... believe in yourself and the people will believe in you.
    Cmon SBA...

17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    It is not for me to say. SBA is in authority. If you want action be part of SBA.

The countries you mentioned are much, much bigger than SGP, so they should have a much bigger talent pool if the authorities there continue to promote badminton aggressively. But we know size by itself does not count for much. It is dedication, commitment, discipline and hard work by our trainees and good support by well-qualified coaches, sports administrators, parents and the badminton fraternity.

I don't think we should revert back to FT's as there had been much criticism against that policy, unless our own people failed us and we need to maintain badminton's popularity in the interim, before it disappeared entirely.

Meanwhile, we should sit down, relax and enjoy the talents of other countries in action.

18. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Oops, the discussion kinda digressed to politics

Pulling it back to badminton @spidey suggested providing feedback through SBA's website (I assume it's contact form), it is one way to reach out to them. Another method I can think of would be through Facebook, either pm or direct posting. But, imo, these methods are more "passive", pending SBA's reply.

A more interactive and imo, fruitful method would be to hold something along the lines of a dialogue session / focus group discussion. To gather inputs from local badminton enthusiast like everyone here to try improve overall level of local badminton.

I dunno...probably need something come up with along the lines of some 5/10 year type of master plan / guide / framework??

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I was rather sad that YJM lost timidly to her China opponent in straight games, as she is seeded #2. I expected a better fight from her.
    Her opponent subsequently lost rather meekly to her teammate:

Order of play of Friday, October 20, 2017

5. Not before 3:00 PM WS
    HAN Yue [5] [​IMG][CHN]
    -
    [​IMG][CHN] ZHOU Meng
    21-13 21-10

20. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

indeed, size doesn't matter. look at Iceland, who have qualify for the coming World Cup. their population is less than SG.

Loh likes this.