Should we allow automatic qualification for defending champions?

Discussion in 'World Championships 2014' started by galaxyduo, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If a doubles pair won in one year, then split up and qualified with another person on merit, how could that be resolved?

2. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Automatic qualification for the reigning champion is fine. I beleive for a pair, the pair is crowned and the same pair should be given an entry slot. If they split, no automatic qualification.

3. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

You mean the "second best" of this year will be crowned, not the "best."

4. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

What renbo said. If they split, they are different teams and are not the defending champion. They would not get an automatic spot.

#24 galaxyduo, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
  5. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

What Justin L said. If you're #64 best player there, you just need to work harder next year to ensure your ranking is well beyond #64. The World Championship should be about finding the best in the world, not about showing sympathy to #64 who has no chance of winning the tournament.

I would even say, if the defending champion can win year after year without participating in any other BWF events, they should be invited back year after year to the WC until they finally lose one year. Why? Because they have proven they are the best and deserve entry next year to defend their title.

6. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Lol, no, he never bothered to qualify so he can not proof that this year unfortunately.

7. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

do any of you guys know that Scotland actually had a 100m Olympics champion not that many years ago?
    His name is Allan Wells and he won it in 1980 (Moscow), when the American boycotted the Games.

unfortunately, whoever win the MS this year will be remembered with the same reason.
    The you know who wasn't there.

#27 AlanY, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Yes. I do know of him and watched that race. Carl Lewis won in 1984 (watched that as well:) ) The Russian team and many former eastern bloc countries didn't attend in1984.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

To be honest, it will need some rule changes for the reigning world champions to automatically qualify.

Wimbledon is a good example of wild cards. We need a draw for 128 entries: )

10. Super85

Super85 Regular Member

I belive you guy's are way to much Lin Dan lovers to talk about WC on an decent level!

After Swedens national soccerteam played 4-2 against England and Zlatan Ibrahimovic did all the goals himself. After the match interviewed a reporter Swedens coach, and he suggested that Sweden is nothing without Zlatan Ibrahimovic, and the coach get pissed off on the reporter and said. - You really insult the other players!

This time I feel the same.

I really like Lin Dan and he is truly a good ambassador for badminton, but he is not the "World Championship" himself.

The man who win the World Championship this year is truly this years world champion, eaven without Lin Dan!

11. zhuangcorp

zhuangcorp Regular Member

I understand BWF wants to make a point and tell all the players that they have to play the tour and enter the normal tournaments.

But Lin Dan has already enrolled in many SS or GPG tournaments this year.

In the end, I'm still looking forward to the WC. It will be exciting, but definitely feels like something is missing without Lin Dan in the field.

It would be like a Wimbledon without Federer or a 100m sprint without Usain Bolt.

12. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Lol why that reference? I had heard of him but didn't know much more. Looked him up and apparently he went over to America to silence any critics of his achievement, straight after and beat them all. Then the following year beat Carl Lewis to gold in the world cup. So I suppose it is a good reference in that some people just remember thing's the way they want no matter what.

13. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

He didn't qualify last year either and yet he won the tournament.

14. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Agreed. I don't know why tennis is so many years ahead of badminton.

But honestly, 64 entries is quite a lot. Giving up #64's spot for the defending champion is not a big deal, IMO.

15. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Personally, I think badminton should maintain its individuality. If Lin Dan were meant to participate in the WC, he would. He hasn't because he didn't have the points to make it. The badminton governing bodies have no obligation to give him a wild card- they didn't even have an obligation to give him the wild card last year.

I agree with this assertion, but I disagree about the implications and what conclusions you draw from it. It is possible that Lin Dan has the capacity to beat Lee Chong Wei- but then again it is possible for JOJ, Hu Yun, and LCW to beat Lin Dan.

A very specific set of qualities make up a true world champion. I think you may be arguing for who is the best player. A world champion, in the eyes of BWF, must constantly be on the badminton scene, competing in tournaments for the chance to go to the world championships, and must do so in a very competitive manner. Lin Dan has NOT met these qualifications, thus he should NOT be a candidate for world champion in 2014.

As for who the current best MS player is- that is a totally different debate.

16. fauci

fauci Regular Member

The point of this debate is not to have the defending champion but Lin Dan. Yes, it's Lin Dan that people want to see in the world chamionship. The reason is there's a lack of truly skillful and creative players out there, at least when viewed on TV. Whom would you really miss in a world championship? The rest look almost the same! He's already getting old, but he remains unique, elegant and exciting to watch. It's a huge disappointment going to Copenhagen with all the hard-earned cash and not to see Lin Dan. That's the point!

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Then get a refund from ... Lin Dan ;)

18. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Really, this comment made my day. Well analysed remark. Dont expect anything for free. Earn it by giving your time to the sport which gave you the most. Already this has been discussed many times here. So, just this thread is a replica of many threads which had been opened by LD's fans before.

19. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Sorry, I disagree with you. Goran Ivanišević deserved his Wimbledon title in 2001 even though he was invited to play and was ranked 125 before the tournament.

Once again, there are things that BWF can learn from tennis.

20. insaint84

insaint84 Regular Member

-

despite the wild card not given by bwf , i thought lin dan would have another chance to enter wc , if lyb were to drop wzm dpy & thw? Why arent ppl blaming on this?why didnT lyB did that? Maybe lin dan doesnt want to play ? You nv know? Why are the lin dan fans talking as if lin dan plays he is a sure win? Lol