Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Your shot in the video had good intentions, but the problem was it was too high and right into your opponent's waiting racket. (That is the risk of a backhand shot when your back is turned.) And he returned it before you even had a chance to turn and recover back into the court.

Next time if you want to hit this shot, you need to make that shot steeper closer to the tape. And you need to pay attention to how he's holding his racket in anticipation of your shot. If he's holding forehand, like he did here, then you need a cross court shot. Doesn't have to be powerful but needs to be steep and preferably make him reach for it. Obviously if he's biasing backhand, then the shot you did is fine, but needs to be closer to the tape. Again doesn't have to be powerful, because he can use that against you, just make sure it's tight to the tape like a drive. Finally your third option would have been a straight drive down the line, if you have good accuracy.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

#2641 visor, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  2. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    From my point of view a shot you can overanalyse it in many ways with different conclusions

1st: The visor theory, which leads to more accuracy and precision as reason
    2nd: That you increased the pace at a moment when you did the backhand smash to the center, while you opponent was waiting in a relaxed way and you struggled a bit. This lead to the conclusion that you should never put pressure at fast pace on a opponent, when you are on more pressure atm than your opponent
    3rd: The lift into the mid of the forehand corner, which was a bad choice. I had lifted it crosscourt to the backhand side of my opponent and also played a droshot or a clear before to get more time. Conclusion bad selection of 2 shots.

So we got out of 7 seconds, that you maybe need to work on your accuracy and precision, need maybe need to change your game based on situations or had just bad selections, because of too much pressure or in general.

I would be very curious to see a full set of your game. You seem to be a decent player, so it would be nice to see your game in general to verify one of our guesses. :)

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    From what I see, after you play the return of serve, your shoulders are square on to the opponent. Your feet are not quite in the front back position in a line towards the shuttle when the opponent hits the shuttle. This makes it harder for your first step to run backwards. And then, instead of playing a overhead forehand, you have to play a backhand.

In fact, I think you move quite fast.

Play the backhand almost like a half drive which would land just past the service line. Because the shuttle is flatter, the opponent cannot play a tight netshot so well. The shuttle is also a bit slower so you have time to regain your balance. The most likely shot to be played by your opponent is the forecourt so you focus your mind and acceleration movement to this area. When he hits the shuttle, you then accelerate forward. When you reach the shuttle, if you hit it at knee level, it is best to play a high clear to the very back of the court. He will not be able to smash (or if he does, it will be slow and you can defend easily ).

4. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Hold up the racket and hit the ball higher
    [​IMG]
    Expectation and foot technique
    [​IMG]

In Germany the name is "Malayen-Schritt" min 0.45 -> easy play forehand-smash instead backhand and you win this point!

5. emobeasta

emobeasta Regular Member

IT | eSports
    #2645 emobeasta, Jul 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    phihag and swsh like this.
  6. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I'm not a Singles player. From the few seconds in your video, looks to me both you and your opponent's forms are not bad at all. The problem? I'd say, your last backhand lift was not deep/high enough. Just pay attention to where your opponent intercepted it. It's seems he hardly needed to move from his base; this implied your return was short (or too low).

#2646 raymond, Jul 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  7. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    Has been 5 months now. Perhaps things have changed quite a bit.
    You may need to work on your low serves, as your service position now is different from that of MD. Opposing man however is just as aggressive. Now your serves on occasions are quite loose. After your partner's flick serve to the lady, consider having her stay at front to catch drop shots. In this match, opposing woman always seems to always clear, cross-court; you could punish that.

Opposing man's base is very far forward. Consider challenge him by playing push/flicks to the two back corners, mixed with your other mid-court shots. From attack standpoint, you tend to direct your shots to the outside, and at the lady. Try the inside (i.e. the middle, but closer to the weaker player). Either your shots/smashes are not fast enough, or the lady's defense is too good. Play to the middle to add a level of confusion, and see what happens. Also, when the lady is directly in front of you, play some attacking clears. I see you use them, but effect isn't good. Perhaps evaluate if your punch clear is flat/fast enough, or you use them at the wrong time when the lady is already deep.

Cut down on errors, from both of you. There're too many simple errors. Also, too many straight shots. Have you explored if the lady could cut off any of your flat drives when she's at the front? In some occasions, the man aggressive plays a push and gets stuck at the front, a flat flick/drive to the back could get them into deep troubles. If the opposing lady doesn't have the concept of cutting off flat shots, or not fast enough, flat drives could move the man out of play.

In XD, under most circumstances, the lady is weaker at the back. Which means you want to play her to the back more often. This starts with the flick serves. I don't think I see even a single one from you (from your partner, yes, twice). Can she smash effectively? After you place her there, keep her there longer. And again, if your opponent's smash defense is good (i.e. hand skill), consider testing their mobility with drop and clear.

I also notice in offense situations, as you flavor the lady, the man seems to be standing quite straight watching. If you (or your partner) notice that, a switch in your attack towards the man could pay dividends.

j4ckie likes this.
  8. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant

I'm in the red.

General notes
    * Don't feel like my stance is wide enough
    * Moving backwards still wants work, need to drill this a lot.
    * Try to bias defence to my backhand, I don't feel confident in playing a forehand defensive shot with enough pace from the middle, as I feel like I can't push it out to their forehand net and would have to go cross to my backhand.
    * Readiness wants to be a little better, it's improved from before, but I want to get that racket up faster.
    * Want a bit of a better split step, think I was a bit lazy tonight.
    * Unforced errors at the start of the game losing points needlessly.

On a positive note
    * General power and length is better (I missed my N90 :eek:)
    * Incorporating backhand more into the game, need to get better at hitting under pressure. Right now in drills I can hit good backhands, but when it comes to games, where I'm expecting 3 different shots and generally have less time, I'm not hitting well.

Any feedback is appreciated, be gentle ;) still using non-dominant hand.

9. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    @Charlie-SWUK Please add the sound!!!

1. Video

All player lack in terms of service return. I miss offensive pushes, netplay. A fight for the lift.

Everybody runs to the net with the racket facing to the floor. Maybe it sounds stupid, but I try to run with my racket always up to play more shots at the net. Taking the shuttle hat height of the belly and lower, will mostly mean that you can play anything offensive or counter attack with a smart push which pass the frontcout player. You are sometimes really quick and fast at the net, but minimize your reportoire of shots with this bad manner. IMO it's the best and fastest way to improve your game when you just hold your racket up.

I also noticed not much changes of pace. Sometimes you and your partner play a drive and at the same tempo when you defend or neutral play you cut down for your opponents the net, which is FME a great area to turn situations and gain advantages. You smaller your opponents court by nearly 20% when you don't use the net more often. I know that some players are not comfortable at the net, have problems to create situations.

I also noticed that you had slightly misunderstandings. Hardly to see, but I see your initial reaction and your partner moves and you cover the counterpart. This a a good behavior. Just want to say that your partner lacks a bit positioning.

Also try, not to smash crosscourt that often. The crosscourt player of your opponents stood often towards the forecourt. Easy to counter attack a smash at slower speed and minized angle. I would smash diagonally between both. Crosscourt player is out of range and can be a surprise for the straight defender who need to catch it.

2. Video

You partner a far better player than in the first one. He also uses the net quite often and is comfortable there. I sometimes also take the shuttles lower. I think that he is more used to singles? This came to mind mind in terms of his points of contact and that he don't move much and choose covering more area over moving to a shuttle to take it early and more aggressive.

IMO a total different and much better game. You fit much better together. Observe him and compare him to your returns of serve. Than you will know what I meant in the first one. Good to see that you accepted my last advice to use the backhand more often. You just need a bit more time for better positioning and technique.

3. Video

Seeing you playing singles, you play better than I expected. Your opponent seems to be more the lazier guy. My advice would be not be play smashs at 100%, when you oppenent don' recover. We are used to play offensive in doubles, but I made the experience that it is often worth to play a clear and create a better chance for you. This will avoid the scenario that you opponent get you easy with block from center. You have the variation of shots. Use them in a different and more neutral or slightly offensive way first. A clear is not a defensive shot like in doubles und a flater one is often a great opener to create chance. Just my experience. Also a higher clear can be used to make your opponent tired or make him run. Get im out of the center. Especially this lazy dude. :) Just my 2 cents.

10. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    The names I get called for my drop shots in game 3 rule out me putting the sound in ;)

Anyway!

Vid 1 feedback:
    I know I shouldn't cross, but the guy in the blue top has fantastic defence. I know that if I try to take on his defence too much, I'll lose, which is why you see me play crosses and even attacking clears at him.

On the net shots, really? I guess that's something I overlooked. I'm gonna look back through footage. I know for a fact my BH net kill sucks. I don't know why, I can do it in practise but not in games. At the net I'm much more comfortable playing spinning net shots than pushes etc.

This guy hasn't played in a couple of months, he's a stronger player than I am that's for sure, but sometimes plays himself into corners and I don't know when to intercept. That's actually part of why I cross, I'm trying to get my partner involved to alleviate pressure and I don't know how to do this naturally.

Vid 2 feedback:
    The guy I'm playing with is one of our top MD players, he's hard to take on at the net. If I'm against him I avoid playing more than 1 or 2 subsequent net shots against him.

Regards to backhand, yeah I struggle with it under pressure, but I think with some practise I'll be good with it. I think in this video I do a backhand smash straight down the middle. As I said with time and in drills I can perform good backhands, last Wednesday while toying around I was doing crosscourt backhand clears, but I just can't pull that off under pressure.

Vid 3 feedback:
    Better than expected huh? :p I noticed my tactical error with the smashes around 3-3. He put it up high, I smashed straight away, and quickly realised that I was trying to play doubles when I couldn't retrieve the return. This is when I started running him around more. He's actually got pretty good retrieval, which is why I have to force him to twist and turn. I know he will play backhands whenever possible, so I take advantage of that by playing flat to his backhand a lot.

I gave up on my forehand line smash when I threw 2 of them out and figured I'd go for a different tactic.

So!
    *Raise racket more at the net
    *Increase variety of tempo
    *Try to coordinate better with partners

11. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    Maybe I was not precise enough. This wasn't meant as critism. Just an observation, that the first guy played a bit frankly, which can't make you shine the brighest. The 2nd game made you look much better. Just an observation which is related to your partners and the different style. You didn't make anything wrong. Just a few things would be in the area of personal arrangements between partners but this depends on likings, so I didn't wrote anything about it. :)

Cheers

12. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    General feedback for the doubles. As alluded to in previous comments NO LIFTING ON THE RETURN OF SERVE! Probably sounds silly but its very basic tactics of doubles, there is no reason to lift a serve and when you play against better calibre opponents every lift will be punished.

Am i right in thinking the guy in blue normally plays at a higher level than this? You could learn a lot from him by his court positioning and just general knowledge of the game knowing where HE needs to be and therefore trying to force a meaningful rotation. I think a few times you can see in your positioning there would be big gaps opening up between you and your partner. You need to move as a unit... ie if your partner moves to cover a straight line smash for instance you need to move towards him and cover the middle and possibly cross court smash.

Finally main thing is the racket carriage as mentioned previously when attacking or defending mid-court, doesnt matter backhand or forward, you want to be hitting the shuttle in front of you racket up. I think you weren't too bad actually but the gentleman in the black yonex shirt had a very odd action for hitting shuttles level with the net.... almost using a full rotation of the racket/wrist to contact the shuttle rather than a short wristy forearm guided 'TAP' of the shuttle reaching out in front you.

I think your split step is fine. Making sure that both feet dont land together at the same time. Always a slight very tiny difference from one foot to another so you dont get 'stuck in the mud'.

13. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

the doubles games look like a group of 65 years old players having a fun time chattering
    nobody actually wants to move to the shuttle?! all just standing there, hands hanging, waiting for the shuttle to come..

So an aggressive mindset would be my advise. Maybe its frowned upon in your club to be competitive but then why would you upload your game here.

Singles game was better. At least a little effort there.

edit: Havent seen everything. Maybe I caught the wrong exchanges and missing sound makes it very awkward.

ucantseeme and visor like this.
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Charlie, I only looked at video 3, the singles.

Three things stood out quite clearly.

1) You don't seem to split step intentionally to move into an intentional movement. I.e. You seem to be reacting after the opponent hits the shuttle rather than actively anticipating and moving.

2) you need to work on rotating your body faster. I.e. turning your shoulders and hips faster. A person of your age should be able to move faster.

3) you have that very bad habit of when lifting your hand for overheads, the racquet shaft going horizontal and then secondarily the head coming up. Top players (especially men) can get away with it. At our amateur level, it is very restrictive and slows you down a lot. (I just happened to be trying to coach my daughter out of this very same habit today). I think you really need to try and kill this habit for good in order to comfortably get to a decent county level, especially if you intend to play doubles.

15. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    @yippo888
    The guy in black on my side of the court or the other side?

I need to get better at those midcourt pushes to the outside lines. It's not a good shot in my repetoire right now.

@OhSearsTower
    Nothing I can do about that :p

@Cheung
    1) I've played against this guy a lot, he likes to play hold shots. He'll look at your feet to anticipate which direction will be hardest to move in. Either way isn't too much anticipation counterproductive because it makes you susceptible to deception?

When I'm playing I always have the likely shots in my mind, when you see me play to his backhand, I move over. I suspect he'll play a straight drop or straight punch clear, knowing the least likely is the crosscourt clear, and that I might have to run for the crosscourt drop.

2) I agree. Since your initial comments, I've been working it into my shots more and more. I think there's an improvement in that time.

3) Tell me about it, this is something that bothers me every time I watch myself play. I've been actively working to fix it, and I think I've improved it but there's still a way to go. Comparing it with previous videos from up to a year ago, I definitely think this is improving.

Unfortunately I don't have the opportunity to train properly much at the moment, it's mostly match practise, so I'm trying to correct it there when what I could really do with is a lot of drills.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I see, so he has played the 'destroy the opponent's rhythm game'. Yes, that is quite tough. I didn't focus on his game at all. Well, get the other two improvements going first then.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

My games last night we played for alcoholic drinks. That really pushed up the stakes!

ucantseeme and yippo888 like this.
  18. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    i liked when we played for drink cheung:p

im back in November with baby Lexie. Hopefully try and meet up with you if you are free.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

There was one time we played after some alcoholic drinks... now *that* was fun...

ucantseeme, Cheung and yippo888 like this.
  20. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    We used to play after enjoying a few drinks almost every Friday night league match. Didnt help that the student union bar started serving drinks from 12 noon.

visor and Cheung like this.