Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    all's well in that land!

2. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Still uploading at this point, but I'll probably not be able to post this link in the next few days so I'll do it now and hope for your patience ;)
    Doubles match from our most recent league match. Didnt get the left side fully into the shot, my bad. And sorry for all the people walking in and out of the shot, it was a busy day in the hall and I could find another place where I could get the entire court into the shot (while I failed, it would have been possible :D)

As always, I appreciate any feedback. If you have any helpful tips on my play, I'm the taller guy in green. :)

ucantseeme likes this.
  3. visor

visor Regular Member

A few points...

1. Good match, bad angle!
    2. Took you and your partner half of first game to get up to speed. Gotta fix that.

3. You and your partner's excellent serves really helped to gain many points. As compared to your opponent in black/blue... he is an excellent player in all aspects, but fortunately for you, his low serves were horrible and easily attackable, especially once pressure set in in third game.

4. At 20-12 your match point, the black/blue player started to flick serve you guys 6 times in a row and managed to win 6 points before you finally were able to close out the match. You and your partner should have seen this coming (that he'll flick since he lost confidence in his low serves) at least after the first 2 flicks and should have been more ready to ancitipate and deal with further flick serves properly, instead of allowing him to gain that many points.

5. In G2 and G3, fortunately your side changed strategy by playing softer with drops tight to the net while waiting for better opportunities to kill. Because in G1 they were able to return and counter all your smashes that were not perfect. Good match.

4. shreyas666

you people are playing above the level we play at. meh. probably you'll mop the floor out of us.
    that would be amazing though!

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    @j4ckie Where are Lucas & Lukas? ;)

6. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Playing high above us ;) (2. Bundesliga)

7. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    But you played in Peine, right? It had been possible that all teams play at the same day/location. I really enjoyed the sparring match in training which you uploaded a few years ago. :) Are you now partnered with a new player? I have seen 2 previous partner sitting on the sides.

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

His technique is actually very limited. Very panhandle-y, easy to anticipate, and not much pressure. The other one was harder to play, he had more variation (or it felt like that at least).
    But yeah, I was anticipating his long servers in the end, still made those errors....relaxed a little with a clear lead like that. Then they played one or two good rallies, and all of a sudden it wasn't as clear as it seemed in the first place :D

It wasn't in Peine ;) If I play them again, I'll make sure to record it for your benefit :D
    We have no set partnerships in our team as we can't always play with the same 4/5, but I played 2 team matches with the one in this video now, and it works well. Stable defense on both of us, good first 3 shots, and the lack of a really hard smash doesn't make any difference so far.
    We have a big (male) roster, and most of us have like 2-3 preferred doubles partners, so we can always put up 2 doubles that are comfortable, no matter who plays on that day. The small drawback is that you dont really settle into one set partnership, but thats not realistic with the schedules we all have.

9. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

I've seen already several of your videos j4ckie and you play really well. You're just taller and a tad better than myself:D

10. badmintony

I've always thought about this technique as the more proper way of returning a serve contrary to what some of our higher level player would constantly tell us to always hit the shuttle to the back of the court so that me and my partner can prepare for the rally. Their reason for the back-of-the-court service return is to "play it safe" as push/drive returns have more chances of resulting in a net fault. But if one knows how to do this, it shouldn't be an issue. If the return serve lift technique is applied to lower level players, this might work a lot, although the push/drive techniques IMO would still be preferable.

11. shreyas666

less players expect a push or a drive in return. personally, i find it helpful as it unsettles my opponent and sets up a follow-up point. thpugh i am careful enough to not repeat that multiple times. its not easier for a 6'3'' guy to crouch and go for a very flat drive. although risk factor is huge, i am careful enough now. my backhand flat drive is now as lethal as forehand one.

12. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    well i would say driving a serve could cause more errors than a lift on return of serve. but at least the intent is there to not just give away the attack. personally i think just blocking the shuttle back over or guiding the shuttle into either side tramlines is a much more effective way to return a serve, it almost always forces a lift, and is much more consistent as long as you have good touch.

badmintony, shreyas666 and ucantseeme like this.
  13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

An underused shot is the no-pace push return. Try to get it to drop as close behind the server as possible, but keep it flat so that he can't intercept. They have to take it below net height, and there is little pace for them to work with, so they have to create all the power in their shot.
    The drive return is good as well but can be defended and countered easier, as it will be closer to net height and have much more pace to feed off of. Exception: serve is too high, in which case you might try to kill the shuttle immediately.

There is a level where playing a high service return will be favourable, as the opponents will be slow to move into the corners and might even make mistakes on overhead shots. At my level (and anything above), you want to be aggressive on the first three shots in order to get the attack, as there's few (if any) pairs that can win a match whilst always starting the rally on the defensive.

Cheung, ucantseeme and badmintony like this.
  14. badmintony

I find this a good technique too. The resulting lift would always give your partner an opportunity for a good smash and would in a lot of instances would give you an upper hand in the following rally.

15. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    If we talk about service return, I just want to share this video from the &up badminton guys. I hate promo and advertising, but this video is a good shot for discussing this return of serve topic.

pBmMalaysia and badmintony like this.
  16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's weird but there's another thread where people are advising to drive the shuttle. I will try to dig it out.

17. AimUk

AimUk Regular Member

Driving is a big risk compared to pushing, which is a relatively "safe" shot. If your drive is good enough then it's fine.

But push shots you have a massive amount of control & accuracy compared to a drive.

visor and ucantseeme like this.
  18. Huaidong Tang

Huaidong Tang New Member

We did filmed some trickshots the other day. Take a look :)

raymond, edogaktop, s_mair and 3 others like this.
  19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Taken from regional championships - another singles match. Satisfied with the level I showed through most of the match, but a few unforgiveable sloppy errors I'm extremely unhappy with. Would be grateful for feedback :)

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker