Playing Doubles: Words of Advice to Partner

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by shooting stroke, Aug 24, 2010.

1. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    While playing, what will be your words of advice to your partner if you have ever involve in such scenario while playing double:

1. A partner that is a hot tempered person that always blame you / a critic type of person that always critic you for every tactics you've executed (even it is working:confused:)..... not to mention mistakes:eek:, until it influence your game-play, psychologically.

2. A partner while being so hot tempered and very critical, also makes a similar same tactics of game play or mistakes like you:mad:

3. A partner that somehow while playing with him/her that day, every single strokes that he/she makes simply is not working at all and starting to lost his/her self confidence.

My words of advice (its better to say something supportive rather than engage in a argument;)):

- To my "volcano" partner (scenario 1 & 2):

"Relax my friend, be supportive"

- To my "not functioning very well" partner (scenario 3):

"Excellent shot" - to make him feels that he's being appreciated (moral booster) if he is able to make any good strokes:p
    "I'll cover you"

...............or what are your words of advice?

2. gsrturbo

gsrturbo Regular Member

relax buddy !!!!!!!!

3. smax5001

smax5001 Regular Member

Student
    Food and bribery works

4. shooting stroke

..... i had a partner once when every time i says this, his face gimmick change......and then i add " relax your face also buddy"hahahahaa

5. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

I have played with people that think they are 100% correct and their tactics are flawless. When they make mistakes, 90% of the time they ignore it, but if you make one they roll their eyes at you or drop racket on the floor. I just ignore them and play on. Not worth the time trying to correct someone that believes they are perfect.

By the way they aren't that good. I can beat them both pretty easily.

6. shooting stroke

Very true real life scenario dimcorner:)......sometimes just by ignoring and continue to concentrate on doing the best while playing will be a more better solution:p:p:p

7. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    I was playing with this guy the other day who think he is gifted , he was smashing cross-court from the back of the baseline with no placement nor power and expected me to cover the front for him and win the point (where a clear or a nice drop would be ideal) ; looked at me like it was my fault that I didnt get to the drop return in time . I just rolled my eyes and walked , no time to explain to creatures .

8. porroy

porroy Regular Member

technical
    hahahaha

good job...

9. porroy

porroy Regular Member

technical
    i just prepared myself to be as patient as i can...

10. shooting stroke

Well done;)....to be as patient as possible in the most provoking scenario is an art of mental strength that is by itself, is also an important part as to become a better player.

11. porroy

porroy Regular Member

technical
    true

but, trying to be a better player sometimes needs people around you should be better than you....it is not a good sign if your getting bored with your playmates, they are not up with the challenge...

12. Mikie

Mikie Regular Member

banker
    Words are no good with 1 and 2, just ignore them and, then, avoid them. But, frankly speaking, I prefer them avoiding me. ) Once encountered a veeeeery sticky one of the 1st type who thought he could play well and, which is worst of all, was always happy to give me a couple of hints on my game improving each time he made a mistake.
    I'm playing for fun, so, to get rid of him without being rude, just lost a couple of games to some weak guys and that made it better than any words - he left the court in outrage. ) To ensure the effect I was after, I destroyed the same pair in the next game while playing with a complete beginner I brought in afterwards.

13. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

I tried to explain to someone that squatting in the front court and trying to return a smash with overhead push is not a good defense. He said he was taught that way and it is very effective as a quick counter-punch. I agreed to a point by explaining that you give up a lot of defense for just the small chance of winning the point quickly. I tried to show him by smashing one of his high serves right back at him (not even 60% power smash since i was running back) and he didn't even touch the shuttle.

Some people think their tactics and shot selections are flawless and it's only the execution. In reality it's both and they won't accept it. I'm not saying I'm perfect, but if I am winning more than that person I must be doing something right.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

If i encountered 1 and 2, i would just quickly get the game over with by doing whatever is necessary to win or lose quickly, and avoid them in the future. If 3, words of encouragement are needed, otherwise it goes downhill quickly.

15. shooting stroke

True man.......when your partner starts to lost focus and confidence, if no corrective measures done immediately, suddenly you will notice the opponent start to bombart him with all the strokes and out of nowhere, the game finished already.....:eek:

16. Talkingtaco2

Talkingtaco2 Regular Member

hahaha, once i had an explosive doubles partner, i purposely played like **** to annoy him. (U15 State) He was like OMG DUDE I THOUGHT YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO BE F***ING GOOD! Later in my singles game i completely dominated my opponent 21-6, afterwards he was like OMG WHY THE HELL DIDN"T YOU PLAY LIKE THAT BEFORE?

17. terencechan

terencechan Regular Member

I have a couple of guys in my group just like that. Although I can crush them in singles anytime, I still get a lot of crap from them. When you're winning, they keep quiet, but when the going gets tough, the shift into the blame game. Badminton sessions are supposed to be fun. It just spoils my mood every time.

18. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    I've never actually had this trouble myself, although a friend of mine said last week her partner kept tutting when she made a mistake, which would *really* irritate me.

@TerenceChan:
    You made a classic mistake in bringing up the game of singles.
    I'm not suggesting that you're one of these people, but I've met plenty of players who are great at singles, but who just don't fully understand doubles positioning and tactics.
    You see them playing with a weaker (in terms of technique / singles ability) partner, and whenever something goes wrong (esp. confusion over who should take the shot), it never even occurs to them that maybe *they* were to blame.

And they *really* hate being given advice by someone they believe is worse than them (again, based on singles ability). I think this is one of the ways that arguments often start...

19. shooting stroke

Can't agree more:D:D;)

20. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    Everything that happens on court should stay on court. After the match, just stop blaming each other. It's okay to talk about tactics, strategy, strengths, and weaknesses after the match, but don't say "I" or "you". Instead, say "we" or "us".

"You should improve your defensive skills." --- not so nice to hear.
    "We should improve our defensive skills." --- doesn't that sound better?

"You should keep your service tight so it wouldn't be hard for me to hit the service return." --- not so nice to hear.
    "We should keep our service tight so it wouldn't be hard for us to hit the service return." --- better.

It's inevitable for your partner to get pissed off especially if you keep on comitting errors and if it's an intense game. Apologize for your mistakes. Just say "sorry partner" and then shift your focus back to the game.

If your partner is the one who keeps on comitting errors and making faces become your automatic reaction, compose yourself, make a simple gesture of encouragement (like tapping your partner gently or saying "c'mon, let's go, we can do this"), and then focus back to the game.

After the game, just leave every negative things that happened on court stay on court.