Playing Doubles: Words of Advice to Partner

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by shooting stroke, Aug 24, 2010.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Ya, sometimes it's tough being matched with a so-so partner.

In such a situation, I would go into the game not planning on winning, but on getting at least a minimum number of points like 15 out of 21. If it's a really really bad match, I just quickly go through the game (not exactly giving up points, but just speeding up the process :p ) and hope for a better partner/opponent match in the next game.

No bonus points for trying too hard and perhaps injure yourself if you and your partner are totally outmatched.

2. terencechan

terencechan Regular Member

I enjoy it most when playing against a disorganized partnership. I hit it between them, to empty spots and just watch their confused faces :) If they blame each other, I just laugh loudly! Hahaha! That's my idea of fun in badminton. How evil is that!

3. visor

visor Regular Member

that is evil! and if i were in that disorganized partnership, i'd put our partnership out of our misery asap, just so my opponents don't have too much fun at my expense... :p

4. Barca

Barca Regular Member

This guy is sick. I will never ever play with him again :(

5. terencechan

Oh no.. its.. "I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST badminton SUMMER!". My past victims coming back to haunt me! Now I'm in trouble.. I pray for forgiveness. Please don't kill me. :)

6. porroy

porroy Regular Member

technical
    hahaha, i had some experienced laughing on my opponents, but i have some excuses, they are also aware that im having fun about the game not the person
    hahaha

7. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Well, I remember in the past, my 'better palyer' partners used to tell me off every time the oppostion got a point, even from his poor shot! When I used to hit a winner, he would be silent, but if it's due to his poor shot selection, or my mistakes, they would be furious. I always try to give advice not telling off my partner, that's why many players love to play with me, knowing I'm cool and not hot tempered during the game or to my partner. I've seen many mild manners players who are placid individuals, but during under pressure in a tournament, they squabble and argue like mad amongt themselves, blaming each other, its embarrasing!

#47 London_Player, Jan 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  8. fiish

fiish Regular Member

Engineer
    My experiences as one who is usually the less skilled partner is most of the people I play with are very encouraging, and are sure to let me know if I am playing well. I often am a bit edgy on the court and their encouragement helps me to relax more. However the opposite can happen when my partner calls out every error I make. They mean well, I'm sure.

9. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

Only thing that gets to me is when my partner insists on doing the SAME shot no matter what.
    1. Backhand over the head cross-court drop.
    2. Cross court net drop from the net.
    3. Cross court drop smash return.
    4. Forehand cross court drop when they are in trouble.

See a pattern? When I play against them I just sit and wait to kill it. Sometimes I bait him by backing off a step and just before he swings I move up. You try to tell em to change it up but they just don't.

I also get the ones that all they do is clear and drop, even from 1/2 court.

10. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

Yeah, except when you are playing front court and your partner does those predictable drops and someone comes rushing to the net to crush it. It's not fun when the cross court drop is 2 feet above the net and you are standing there barely able to turn around.

Every shot.

11. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

ONE Advice
    Don't look back at your partner (if you are at the front and your partner is at the back)
    If your partner does a bad smash that hits the frame
    Don't look back because you either get hit in the face or the back of your head ( I know what it feels getting hit at the back of the head which is better than in the face but it will sting)
    If you are the better smasher out of you and your partner you should try and stay at the back.

12. porroy

porroy Regular Member

technical
    ^
    i dont mind being hit by my partner, as long as it is not the racket! haha

huh? doubles game = rotation play,
    during old times, staying at the back is for mens in mixed event,
    but these days both players, plays front and back.... :D versatility

13. drew tze en

Opps !! forgot that you change from attack Position -> Defense position and etc
    but if you see Cai Yun and Fu HaiFeng
    Fu HaiFend is usually at the back.
    That is what happens when I play doubles or mixed doubles. As I play Singles as well I play at the net alot but I normally play at the back because my partner isn't as strong at the back.

14. porroy

porroy Regular Member

technical
    ^
    true, that would be the scenario..

15. terencechan

If you look back, you can catch a glimpse of your partner's six pack or .... 1 pack. Some people just don't know what they're missing :)

16. drew tze en

hahaha
    I don't want to see my partner six pack
    I rather focus on winning the point.

17. socialpro

socialpro Regular Member

Student
    Sup baddy central, i ditch them :)..

Naw.. that was in the past when I used to fail to find a partner since I ask the week before a tournament.. and I generally do better than people would expect from a last minute pair.. playing doubles for fun-wise.. we play for fun so nothing big really comes out of it. But now that I have a more permanent partner.. I'll probs need to say more than just 'don't worry' 'relax' 'CHILLAX' 'CALM THE F DOWN'... etc. Coz although he's the stronger player of the two, he's less mentally and age-wise mature so I dominate the doubles in a way.

Some times, I gotta talk to him about tactics and what to do in the next few points so we have a direction.

18. Barca

Barca Regular Member

Only if my partner is a chick.... Other than that i wouldn't bother looking back....

19. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

usually for me, when i go into court rage mode meaning everything is hit at me, i for some reason don't return anything and i miss every single chance to end a rally, my partner would usually tell me to relax, to take a deep breath and to reset my emotions and just play a focused game. After i start hitting my hits, my partner usually goes good shot! great effort! keep it up! and then a tap on the back :p

In my case when i play with my partner, men's doubles, when he starts getting frustrated i usually give him words of encouragement as he doesn't rage like me and his also gets his game back when i start complimenting him or i follow up a set up that he sets for me to kill

In mix doubles, when my partner gets off her game, i usually talk to her and tell her to tell me what her strategy is, what shes trying to do and i usually tell her what shes doing wrong (if theres anything wrong). When she finds where to hit it, the opponents weakness, i usually say great work! good shot! just some words of encouragement and a tap on the ass LOL yes my partner has an ass, and no im not a pervert, i use HAPPEN to tap her there with my racket when i ment to tap her on the lower back lol i guess its just big :p and thats my first reaction haha. When i start screwing up, she tells me what my men's doubles partner does, and she usually softens me up with her voice lol so i rage less i guess.

playing for fun, with random people, im usually a really calm guy and relaxing because its just for fun. if the partner im playing is lower lvl then me and he gets frustrated i just give them hints and teach them some shots :p while putting some humor in the game as well. doing trickshots etc. lol :D