Opinion and results of T.R.A TRI system

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Kenjiken, Feb 19, 2017.

1. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Note that all the videos focus on how good his backhand clear is, instead of showing how good his students became after training with him.

When I want to improve my backhand clear/smash, I don't want to be taught by Taufik Hidayat. I'd rather be taught by the coach who taught Taufik Hidayat.

#61 phihag, Aug 10, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2017
  2. darrengsaw

darrengsaw Regular Member

Data Analyst
    Very good point.

This guy is the embodiment of the Dunning Kruger effect.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

swsh and phihag like this.
  3. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Tried watching it, stopped halfway after the 20th drive from midcourt. Was expecting to see a ful court clear.

4. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    One thing is for sure tho, anyone with the intent to murder the shuttlecocks isn't coming to play with mine. Those things ain't cheap!

@thumbnail :rolleyes:

Cheung likes this.
  5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Guys, let's face the truth: That there are only midcourt drives in the clip must be the least of his problems. It's pretty obvious that he has got some far more serious issues somewhere behind his eyes. Looking at the way he presents himself, I am more and more sure that he personally believes that he truely has the best backhand in the world.

And if you ask me, there could be far more dangerous topics he could fixate his... well... 'illness' on. Blind folded chess, Mount Everest, plumbing, badminton backhand... let us all hope that he stays with more or less harmless topics like these in the future too. I somehow feel relieved to know that he is not living in my neighborhood.

ucantseeme, phihag and swsh like this.
  6. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Ok, I'm kind of bored of this, so here's a full breakdown of his technique.

red arrows are static green arrows are motion arrows are direction

upload_2017-8-11_8-0-18.png

Stroke preparation includes the racket coming across the shoulder.

Shoulders are pushed inwards (opposite to how you would smash).

Hips and legs are pushing outwards.

upload_2017-8-11_8-4-39.png

He drops the racket down to be more side on (as you would if you pronated overhead)

His non-racket side moves back slightly

His racket side moves forward slightly with his racket foot baring the weight.

upload_2017-8-11_8-8-13.png

He strikes the shuttle away from the body to make use of leverage, using a bevel grip.

Comments
    He could substantially improve his backhand by increasing his use of his body weight. Right now he does not turn into the shot effectively, severely diminishing his hitting capability.

His contact point could be substantially improved, by hitting closer to the body but substantially more overhead he will generate more torque from the racket. By doing so his grip will actually be correct, at his current hitting position, a thumb grip would be more suitable.

His improper grip is leading to constant wide hits, an inability to hit cross, and an inability to fully utilise power from this position.

I would suggest he studies someone with a good backhand, LCW, Chen Long, Taufik, to see their contact point to improve his shot making capability.

While he may substantially believe he's found a magic ratio, he's really only found a way to iterate on the Danish swipe, and can undertake many efforts to improve. Realistically a truly reversed pronation - not quite supination, but literally pronation backwards - will generate a lot more power than his current technique.

Abu Tanki, phihag, visor and 2 others like this.
  7. Eli Nathan

Eli Nathan New Member

l

#67 Eli Nathan, Aug 11, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  8. Phil Adams - Coach

Phil Adams - Coach New Member

Hi there,

This is a very touchy subject with most people talking about this. As in his videos, he is producing the shots from mid court and to the side/infront of him.

I am now coaching my players about getting power how the top players do in the world.

Have a look at my website and tell me what you think.

www.dynamicbadminton.co.uk

9. phihag

phihag Regular Member

@Phil Adams - Coach I think that it's rather curious that you want to associate yourself with such a scam by posting here instead of in a new thread. Your services do not seem like a scam.

Curiously enough, you are using similar language and deception though. To quote a video titled BACKHAND CLEAR EXPLAINED HOW IT'S ACHIEVED - MAGIC TRICK:

I've taken the significant effort in transcribing it because I think the repetition is much more visible when it's written down.

This video's title is completely inaccurate; it purports to explain how a backhand shot is played, but the video does not contain any content. In fact, if I'd summarize it as

I don't think anything got lost. The video is like an ad brochure; it does not contain any value.

Talk of secret techniques ("isolated/dynamic hits" - probably a description of we'd call the preparation phase or zero in standard BWF/German textbooks) almost always looks bad unless it is followed by a clear description of said technique.

In contrast, highly regarded coaches provide actual content - as a book, paid video, but very often also in free articles or videos. Content could be
    All of these very respected coaches earn money by selling more detailed materials/books/videos, Internet training, or local training in some form. Their videos are useful even for badminton players who don't purchase anything (yet).

From what I can judge from afar, you seem to be a bona fide coach, not someone spouting crazy unsubstantiated theories. Then why do you add talk like this:

Instead of talking about how great your secret formula is, explain it to us! Chances are many will still need individual paid-for feedback, either via Internet or locally.

#69 phihag, Aug 14, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    eiji, dave010, Abu Tanki and 5 others like this.
  10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I just don't understand people. Why is it so damn hard to simply say
    "Hey, I'm a well trained and skilled (certified?) coach and I know what I'm doing. I can help you improve your technique and make you a better player."
    without involving any kind of magic tricks?

"I've found a formula that increases your power by up to 50% when making contact with the shuttle. This is what all the top players in the world do and everyone is so frustrated as why they can't do it themselves."

Just reading that sentence would make me never ever to consider even getting in contact with you if I was looking for a coach myself. You have found a top secret formula and taught that to all the top players in the world? Yeah, right.

My advice: Just cut that magical formula bullsh*t and try to present yourself as an authentic and genuine coach who is willing to work hard together with his clients to improve their game. And if I would be looking for a coach, I would like to know where he has been trained (certificates?) and with whom he has been working with in the past. No information whatsoever on your homepage currently.

The service you are offering under "Online Coaching" (if done properly) is not a bad idea to be honest. Although it's debateable how much a player really can learn and improve from video clips only without direct real-time feedback and guidance of an actually present flesh and bones coach.

Oh, and as @phihag wrote, better not present yourself in the same context as weirdos like our Mr. Backhand here - no matter how entertaining this thread has become.

#70 s_mair, Aug 15, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    ucantseeme, Abu Tanki and phihag like this.
  11. visor

visor Regular Member

It's called savvy marketing.

It may not attract you and other higher level players, but some beginners would pay for fast and easy shortcuts.

phihag likes this.
  12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Sad but true. But it won't need a lot of sessions until even they realize that there in fact is no magical formula and they end up feeling fooled.

Maybe I'm the one who sounds simplehearted now, but creating true expectations and being authentic when you offer personal services will only have positive effects from a long-term business perspective.

Cheung likes this.
  13. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    But there is a magic tragic to hitting well, practice.

14. Phil Adams - Coach

Thank you for your reply guys! I will take all your comments on board as I need to hear peoples opinion on it. I'm not trying to sound cheap or make a sale pitch at all, sorry if it may come across that way.

Badminton England sadly to say it haven't been keeping up to date with coaching styles, and found that the way they teach the coaches is not how the top players in the world train, that's why I had to do my own research to find a better way of training like China, India, Malaysia etc. My aim is just to help people :)

Thank you for your reply to this, will try and make my site better with more content! :)

visor, s_mair and phihag like this.
  15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

You are welcome! Before you do anything else, please get rid of this "formula" stuff. That's a thing that scares away a lot of serious players with only a little bit of experience in an instant. It's like putting up a big blinking banner that says "Attention! Scam!".

Apart from that, I think it's a good approach to shift your focus on the big badminton countries and to learn their coaching styles. And if you can teach your students with a different style than what they usually get around here, then this would be enough of a USP and (if done properly) word will spread on its own.

Here in Germany we have Diemo Ruhnow who has a similar approach regarding footwork. He spent some time in the last years together with the japanese national team (who are currently the benchmark when it comes to footwork, hands down) to get an idea what they are doing and came back with a different philosophy than what is taught for years and years in Europe. He currently is the german national coach for women's doubles and was also coaching Mark Zwiebler on court in his last big SS semifinal against LCW during 2016 Japan Open.

dave010 and phihag like this.
  16. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

Everytime I see a post in this thread get bumped up, I can't help but feel that the scam bashing is going on too long.

But then I open it up and the deeper it goes, the better and better it gets.

Can't wait for the next "episode" :p

ucantseeme likes this.
  17. Phil Adams - Coach

Thanks for your comment too, are you a badminton player or coach?

18. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

My comment was referring to the original focus of the thread regarding "Jazz".

However, I do echo the sentiment regarding your own marketing word choice. If you read around Jazz's marketing, it sounds eerily similar to your own Dynamic Badminton claims.

I personally do not judge your own coaching methods because I haven't looked for a demonstration, and neither have you given a reason for us to believe that your methods could be labelled a scam.

On a side note, if you want to spread the word of your coaching methods without giving anything away, I would highly recommend you reach out to MSeeley/Cheung/Phihag and have them review your methods. They are well respected in this forum and if they say they think your methods are reasonable, you will find a lot of business. If they do not find your methods reasonable, they will give you concrete reasons why and take it no further if you are as polite as you have been thus far.

And on your original question, I am a player at an intermediate standard, playing regularly in National tournaments but not advancing very far.

An example of a coach who has done well with an online presence without the marketing jargon is Paul Stewart. Although his teaching methods are different to other coaches, he still has their respect as his claims are not outlandish and he demonstrates the results of his techniques well. He does not need claims of "+50% power with one secret trick" because word of mouth says he is a capable coach.

s_mair, phihag and decoy like this.
  19. Phil Adams - Coach

Thank you for this, that is very helpful! The reason why I done this post as so many coaches are still "trained" in the old way of teaching and very frustrating that people aren't progressing because of the old method. I also done this post as I want to help people with their frustrations!

I coach about 35 hours a week, but want to help more people across the world :)

Thank you for understanding guys

20. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    So...please open a new and own thread. You will get the main attention and help in your own thread. Please state your aims and ask your questions. Share your thoughts as detailed as possible.

We all know that training between europe and asia is different. Also the slightly different techniques and style of play. That lower level training and higher level training are different, too is also not a big surprise to me.

I also came across some shitty coaches and people who have different learning curves and develop in different areas faster or slower, so you have many culprits and reasons for "the problem".

Anyway instead of "Nothing helps and is an old fart - but this is the real deal" I want to here more details and the differences which you figured out. What is old and don't help in your opinion. What are your experiences? Also try to avoid any percentage numbers. This will work for racket marketing. Just name numbers, when they are possible to measure. I think you can benefit from thoughts of @MSeeley @Cheung @raymond. I would also try to help if you are a nice person and the problem worth my time. ;)