New service rule?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Panthios, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Yes i suppose so. If the whole purpose of the rule is to remove the measurement of the waist, then i believe it wont go too far. Its silly to think that measuring at a certain cm will help ref to spot a fault serve. I think a spotting a waist level is as easy considering also the fact that the serve is always closer to player's body than a net line. Unless its required a line to be drawn on the player's shirt :D

2. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    its good if BWF can come up with something solid for serving... instead of THE WAIST as bench mark!

BWF should adopt ISO measurement...

We are in the modern age yet we still use BODY PARTS as part of measurement kind of primitive...

3. bprevoe

bprevoe Regular Member

Head Coach @ Mandarin BC
    i hate it when they do that- its like learning how to serve all over again

4. kish-mah-ash

kish-mah-ash Regular Member

bwf should just stick with their current rule: serve at the waist. sometimes it's hard to judge but i'm just thinking of all the parties involved. it's too bad if certain players are shorter than the others.

lets look at the idea of putting a line mark of 120cm on the shirt.
    some people think by putting a line of 120cm on a player's shirt will solve the problem. maybe so for the serivice judge or umpire to see.
    but how about the players themselves who will be serving. how are they going to judge whether they're holding the shuttle at 120 cm? i can only think that's only posisble if they're holding the shuttle next to their shirt which has the 120cm line mark. but if they hold the shuttle out in front of their body, how are they going to judge it? do they have to look back and forth at that 120cm line on their shirt before they execute the serve?

5. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    ha ha :) that was funny :)

I can not think they will have a line on the player :).. probably a marker on the sides or as suggested marked a line on the net..

How do you think the player judges where his/her waist is today?? by looking back and forth on their waist ??? :p :eek:

/Twobeer

6. visor

visor Regular Member

I say forget about all this guessing where the waist is or where the line on the net is.

Just install a laser scanner at 120cm height pointing from the side of the court, and if any racket head is detected above 120cm during serve, then bam! the alarm goes off!:eek:

No need for any subjective calls from soon-to-be extinct service judges.:rolleyes:

Remember, you heard it here first!:D:p

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Good idea, but your sensor shouldn't just sound an alarm ... it should release the hounds!:eek:

But who will pass out all the lovely shuttles? :rolleyes:
    Maybe these guys? http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/0808/oly.cheerleaders.1/content.3.html

8. Flexsis

Flexsis Regular Member

Student
  9. visor

visor Regular Member

Maybe flashing red strobe lights that are on top of the net posts can be triggered when a service fault is detected. And then a replay of the offending serve can be replayed on the giant screen for all to see! :D

Dang! How come there's no cheerleaders in badminton matches? Although, I do seem to recall seeing a few cheerleaders in the Korean Open 2010 MD final between Korea and China.:cool:

10. venkatesh

venkatesh Regular Member

editor
    This is great. Now it'll be easier for me to serve. Hahaha.

I still stand by my suggestion to draw a line on the player's shirt to indicate where the waist is.

11. Dmitry

Dmitry Regular Member

12. kish-mah-ash

bro,it's simple. the waist is a btter indicator or reference point than a line mark on a player's shirt.i'm sure most if not everyone knowswhere their waist or tummy is.

as for putting a line mark on the net, i don't think that'll be easy to judge as one's angle of view might give a false indication.

all these insane ideas!!:eek:

13. visor

visor Regular Member

OK, that's it... forget about lines on the net or on the shirt and I'm fed up with the judges having to guess where the waist is. From now on, I propose the IBF adopt a new rule: that all players have to play topless! :p

14. kish-mah-ash

bro,you're still living in the 80s or what? foollow the trend and start using BWF instead of IBF!
    even if one decides to go the au naturale route, a service judge trying to judge where the waist exactly is will be subjective.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Yes, that's why I propose we can install laser scanners to detect over 120cm serves a few posts ago.:)

16. Flexsis

Flexsis Regular Member

Student
    lolol expensive, racket can be above the line, just the contact of biride =P, what if the scanner, scans the racket xD

17. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

That would cause a lot confusion in XD :D

18. 1Badiste

1Badiste Regular Member

Nothing, I am schoolboy
    It'd be great.
    This is an excellent idea.

19. kish-mah-ash

what da?!

totally insane!

first,you wannna propose a laser scanner with all the bells and whistles to determine where the service line is supposed to be.
    now, you wanna ask players to strip half naked and go au naturale?!
    what's next? ask the players to get a sensor chip implanted in their waist or tummy, that can sense a birdie during a service, and have it send a loud beeping noise to the umpire or service judge to let them know the service is a fault?:eek:

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Now that's a good idea! Keep them coming! Although that last one is a bit invasive and drastic, don't cha think?;):D
    (Now where's the tongue in cheek emoticon when you need one?)

But seriously, it's not that hard to implement a laser scanner to detect overheight serves...