New colour scheme 88S Pro/88D Pro?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by yenyesoh, Jan 9, 2024.

1. jerby

jerby Regular Member

Well at least yonex's marketing is working properly ;)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn CPH2247 met Tapatalk

2. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

Yup. Its more user friendly from the looks of it. Especially the 88S Pro, as much larger frame and sweet spot.

3. pootisfoib

pootisfoib Regular Member

He says the new rackets are easier to use and have more shuttle hold, which suggests a softer hitting feel. Will have to try for ourselves to see if that's the case. Not a good sign for those who like repulsion and the og 88 rackets.

jediwannabe likes this.
  4. steven8991

steven8991 Regular Member

what's wrong with Yonex design team? They keep releasing new high-end rackets with sh1t colorway and design

swunk and pootisfoib like this.
  5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Why pay more for artistic paintjob when just some gimmic here & there is more than enough to get a buyer.

But anyway, does today pros actually use the same racket sold globally or they use different spec but just the same color?
    Since OG88, the next release is always easier & more forgiving. Not that bad for us, but for pros those hardness & unforgiving also benefit their games. Like simply stiffness give better feel & control. Or do pros nowdays also ask the more forgiving one which mean old timer had even more godly physics?

6. pootisfoib

Well there's a reason why some pros continue using discontinued older rackets; because they've grown used to a certain feel that isn't replicated by newer rackets.

7. Sensates

Sensates Regular Member

88D pro with assist bumpers? Did anyone asked for this? I thought most reactions from the Arc11 Pro was negative.

8. pootisfoib

Control Assist Bumper and Power Assist Bumper are supposed to be different, but I don't see how as they're just strips of plastic grommets. If anything they'll at least help protect your frame from strings cutting into it.

9. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Coz Yonex said so. No more & no less. One day probably they would invent speed assist bumper:rolleyes: with special material thats makes air slide around it smoothly creating less friction.

But logically. Adding bumper would extend the stringbed abit. The extended stringbed would give more room for movement thus increase hold. The holding time is suppose give more control & provide more optimal power transfer.

But then we all getting so excited with recesed frame. But recesed frame + bumper resulting standard frame profile. Thus in our believe would slow down the swing.

10. Sensates

Sensates Regular Member

Also when these bumpers break, where do people get replacements? ATM I don't think Yonex themselves provides them.

11. what07

what07 Regular Member

They had 99pro and 11pro grommet sets since last year in Japan.

Sensates likes this.
  12. Sensates

Sensates Regular Member

Good to know.. though 10 years on I doubt it will be easy to find these things.

13. what07

what07 Regular Member

Better buy them now ;p But then again even 10+ years we only started seeing connecting grommets for the older rackets like armortec's and nanospeeds finally disappear from stock ;c

14. pootisfoib

They already have Speed Assist Bumper on 1000z. They're at the 5 o'clock and 7 o'clock positions.

15. pootisfoib

What about third party grommet strips? They're just pieces of plastic. As long as the dimensions are correct I don't think brand makes a difference.

16. SaxoProf

SaxoProf Regular Member

Professor
    Well it’s my understanding power and control assist bumpers aren’t made of the same materials. They may *appear* to be just plastic, but that doesn’t mean they are.

gimmeracquet likes this.
  17. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Dont eat any of Yonex gimmic in 1 big bite friend. Many of it is just simple logic or bias term.
    For example power. What is power?
    Is it a very less holding time hit, resulting almost instant replusion which feel fast yet lighter upon blocking.
    Or some holding time, resulting optimum energy generation & transfer which feel slower yet heavy upon blocking.

Believe me, Yonex always play in the grey area where it is bias or not many know it.

18. SaxoProf

SaxoProf Regular Member

Professor
    I have no interest in debating this with your “feelings” about marketing. First, your comment has NOTHING to do with what I said. It doesn’t mean they are just any “plastic” and are made from the same material, or replaceable with any other to have same result. Unless you have had testing done to prove that the multi-grommet strips are made from identical materials, then you have no argument. Your point about what is happening is fair, is it allowing more string movement and a slower rebound of the string? Is it allowing more movement and a fast rebound of the strings? less movement? All of the variables are at play much the same way that string tension, material, and feel affect a sweet spot or how people perceive a string. Why does BG80 feel harder than SkyArc or BG65 at the same tension? What is the difference between two different polyesters? Vectran vs “Forged Fiber”? I don’t know where forged fiber comes from, but Vectran, Kevlar (aramid), Nomex are all name branded materials that have different properties, and all used in strings, even if not badminton (i have no idea, but I do know some are used in tennis).

Secondly, accounting for the fact that a shuttle doesn’t change weight (beyond the 0.5 gram allowable variation, but not within the same shuttle) there is no meaning between what you feel as heaviness and speed. The only accounting for this could be where and how it impacts your string bed in terms of sweet spot during a block at any given shuttle speed and the position of your arm, muscle engagement, grip, fatigue, etc. At any given speed the energy/momentum/whatever term you want to use (or weight as you feel it) is not variable. It is not possible to have a slower but “heavier” smash. It is faster or slower, it has more energy or less.

If you want to discuss power the discussion can be about ease of access to power, which is the speed of the shuttle. People might describe a racket as demanding if its top potential for shuttle speed is high, but the sweet spot is small and in real world situations it is hard to access that potential. A racket that may have a lower top potential but a very large sweet spot may allow more energy transfer to the shuttle on a regular basis. In function this second racket will be more powerful for more people because it is more playable for more people to impart more energy/speed on the shuttle on a regular basis.

But in summary, your feels don’t change science. You do not know with certainty that the control and power assist bumpers are identical, the chemicals used to change the colors could even change how they perform. Whether that is perceptible to a user may not occur, but that’s not the point. My point that you needed to argue with is that the previous poster claimed they are all interchangeable plastic and the brand and makeup don’t make a difference. A persons ability to perceive those differences doesn’t actually mean they aren’t there. This is also why with different composites and use of materials in a different areas of rackets and shafts mean that a simple “flexibility/stiffness” test done by bending or using a weight doesn’t necessarily equate to performance. Some materials flex or flex differently, the amount or speed of rebound could be different so a static test doesn’t tell you any of that. This impacts how a racket feels when playing but not a test that is done with no relationship to how one uses a racket.

gimmeracquet and Arisuin like this.
  19. Budi

Budi Regular Member

How much the different between chemical, material, & all which affect our games?
    Just because Yonex said so, doesnt mean it false or Yonex is lying. But does that mean its true, yes logicaly & scientifically but again its marketing. Most of the time the affect is just minimal or its just a white lie where they wont tell downside or the tradeoff
    For example Astrox vs Voltric. If you ever play with Voltric series, you would know that the current range dont have the same satisficstion for power smash. But the rapid attack is true by itself on astrox yet they never mention the power loss in trade for speed.

Regarding the grommet, again how much the different? I own Adidas P8 with its own unique stripe. 1 of the stripe is broken & replaced it with regular grommet. Aside from different weight, anything else is just so so little difference which 2 or 3 hit would get me out from adaptation phase.

pootisfoib likes this.
  20. what07

what07 Regular Member

Howmuch weight did you lose/gain when you switched out the grommets? BP is ok if you didn't measure, just curious.