NanoSpeed 8000 Review

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by cooler, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Super~ME!

Super~ME! Regular Member

student
    ...hmm...i see...that sounds reasonable...the temperature part makes sense since materials contract and expand in heat and cold...but could you kinda describe the "elastic to plastic behaviour as in the case of fatigue" part a bit more...like...in what kinda of situations would this occur?...thanks...:confused:

2. Robin (SWE)

Robin (SWE) Regular Member

Student
    I'm sure hes got a copy/fake or/and that he might be tired as you wrote.
    I have played with the 8k for some time and it's flex is certainly not unstable. Anyone I know who owns a real 8k just loves it and have no complains about the flex.

If he says it's not a copy then its probably broken or whatever, or hes lying.

good luck w your decision:)

3. JCanada

JCanada Regular Member

Every type of material has its own tensile strength which is an indicator of how much stress the material can bear before it "fails". When the force applied to the material is below its tensile strength, the material behaves elastically, i.e. it returns to its original dimension when the stress is removed. In the case of a badminton racquet shaft, it means the shaft will bend when it hits the bird but after that, the elastic strength of the shaft material will return the shaft to its original straight form (stretching a rubber band slightly and seeing it returns to its original shape is a commonly used analogy).

If the material is stressed beyond its tensile strength, its behaviour goes from elastic to plastic and the material will not return to its elastic state when the stress is removed. In the plastic zone most materials, when subjected to the same stress, will deflect more than when it is in the elastic zone. This translates to a feel that the badminton racquet is no longer as stiff as before. If the stress level is high enough, the material fails and breaks completely, as in a badminton shaft broken in two.

In many cases, a material may fail if it goes through many loading cycles even though the load applied never exceeds the material's tensile strength. When this happens, the material is said to have failed in fatigue (it's like bending a piece of metal gently back and forth and seeing it fails after a number of bendings). In the case of badminton racquets, repeated deflections of the shaft MAY lead to fatigue failure. However, unless the shaft has micro-cracks in it (e.g. due to manufacturing defect, clashing of racquets, or scrapping the racquet on the floor), most shafts don't fail in fatigue.

I hope the above explanation helps.

4. deveraux

deveraux Regular Member

Aren't most badminton racquets made mainly from carbon fibres? If they are, then they probably don't have much of a plastic zone.

5. JCanada

JCanada Regular Member

I don't have specific stress/yield information on the different types of graphite material used in Yonex racquets. Yonex uses graphite material of different tensile strengths for different models. In general, I agree with you that they will likely not have an exaggerated plastic zone although they will still go through the elastic-plastic transition before failing catastrophically.

6. Fusion_M8

Fusion_M8 Regular Member

I.T/Admin
    I know EXACTLY what your friend means by this. I experience the same thing too, but its no fault of the racket.

When most of us first start playing, our muscles and mental state are not warmed up yet. The racket feels stiff and unforgiving. But after playing for sometime, when we're warmed up, and the muscles are performing at peak levels, it makes the racket feel bit more flimsy and flexible.

I experience this racket flexibility issue whenever when I'm using my MP100 and AT800 OF at the start of a session. Thats why I have a more forgiving MP33 as my warm up racket, after I'm warmed up and performing at peak, I switch over to my MP100 or AT800 OF.

But thats just my experience, others may disagree. :)

7. Super~ME!

Super~ME! Regular Member

student
    ....hmm...i see...makes a bit more sense now...i guess it sounds right...thanks for the lengthy explanation...:D

8. Super~ME!

Super~ME! Regular Member

student
    ...hmm...i guess this makes sense too...now that i think of it...the experience or feeling you're describing is starting to sound familiar...maybe i'll try what you suggested and warm up with a more flexible racquet next time and see what happens...:)

9. stantan

stantan Regular Member

Attorney-at-Law
    After some consideration, I've concluded that the increase in power im getting from my NS8K may not be enough to offset the loss of maneuverability, so I think Im going back to my old AT800DE, probably the most forgiving racket I've got atm =)

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    which at800de u got, 3u or 4u?

well, after some more playing time with a 3u ns8000, i come to appreciate more of its design. Coming from using a 3u at800de for several months, i had to change my stroking style a bit to unleash the ns8000's power to match up the at800's power. The bang echos just as loud as off the at800. With ns8000, i got more maneuverability, better drives and backhand anything. It reminds me of my cab20 power but with larger sweetspot and better defense*sniff sniff*. While doing drive shot rallying, i find ns8000 is the best racket for this i had used todate. Overall shot accuracy improved too. This was with loosey 21-22lbs (original 24lbs) bg65 too. I bet i can do better with better string.

11. adidas_lee

adidas_lee Regular Member

Regional sales manager
    Ns8k

Hi,
    I too use NS8K recently and had just switched from at800of and found that they give u different feel in play. NS8K is effortless in clear, drive and retrieving whereas when using at800of, u need to use more wrist and arm strength in getting the same effect. I heard from my fren that at800de is better than at800of in defence and clearing as well as smashing. Anyone comments about this? Thanks.

12. valkyier

valkyier Regular Member

Im very interested in this too!!! Can anyone provide us information??

I've been keeping track of this thread since it stared and there are people who said 800-DE is more powerful than NS8k in smashes...Im considering one of these two which I wanna get but I can only get one since im low on Budget.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

the power between 800de/of and ns8k dont differ much. Once i got accustom to each of them, each can smash just as hard. Power come from the user.

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

In term of balance, i think the slim10 come closest to the feel of ns8k.
    Let wait and see if peter G. would switch to ns8k :)

#374 cooler, Jun 19, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2005
  15. msenghl

msenghl Regular Member

Project Manager
    Both Bao Chun Lai and Chen Gong switch from MP 99 to NS 8k, does this means that NS 8k is better? Or may be they are force to make the switch. Can someone make comments on this 2.

16. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    From what i know, they are not forced to use the NS8000. They can choose whichever racket they want to use actually. For each upcoming tournament , they are actually given few rackets to use. Basically they find Ns8000 suit them. I can't say that NS8000 is better than MP99 or other rackets. Each racket is different from each other.

17. MusclePower100

MusclePower100 Regular Member

is there a 2U version of the NS8000 in Canada?

18. adidas_lee

adidas_lee Regular Member

Regional sales manager
    Ns8k

Hi,
    Sorry. U may need to ask yr distributor in Canada then. Should have this 2U version. Wish u good luck.

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I check with yonex canada and they told me the 2U NS800 isn't distributed in canada. If u r in doubt, it is safer to get the 3u than the 2u.

Maybe it's just adaptation but i'm winning more games lately from using the 3u ns8000 (~22.5 lbs bg65) than with a 3u AT800DE (~24.5 lbs bg65). I'm curious too to know if i can crank out even more power from a 2U version. (Not because 3U lack power)

#379 cooler, Jun 22, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  20. LingDan

LingDan Regular Member

I am using AT700 now and tot of switching to NS8. Will the change be too drastic from head heavy to head light? I am an attacking player and smashes a lot.