my SHB95 vs. SHB89MX report

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by kwun, Jul 6, 2003.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have previously worn a pair of SHB95 (JP version) for two years, recently, they got so worn after many battles, i have decided to switch to the SHB89MX (bought in US).

after 3 weeks on the SHB89MX, here are some thoughts on the contrast between these shoes.

SHB95 (JP)

i have talked to a few users of the SHB95, and many have agree with me that wearing the SHB95 is like wearing a pair of socks: the top of the shoe moulds to the shape of the feet very well, as well as very soft and comfortable. the shoe are also wider than usual at both the toe area as well as mid-sole area. i have wider than usual feel that won't fit into shoe by many other brands. the sole of the SHB95 is more to the softer end of the spectrum (though not a soft as a pair of Gosen i have tried). Yonex has some carbon thingy in it, but i'd still rate it as medium-soft.

with the above, i have worn the SHB95 and worn it for two years. it held up very well considering the regular 3 times a week abuse i gave it. it is now pretty dead and i moved onto my next shoe the SHB98MX.

SHB89MX

there are similarities between the SHB95 and SHB89MX.

the SHB89MX is also a wide shoe, the toe box is just as wide as the SHB95, but the mid shoe area is tighter. which i think is a nice thing as i did feel that sometimes my feet moves around a little bit in that area.

the SHB89MX doesn't have the "socks" feel of the SHB95. the top is slightly more rigid (even after 3 weeks of regular use). still comfortable, but not like wearing a pair of socks.

there are noticably more lateral support in the SHB89MX. perhaps the more rigid top of the shoe contribute to that. also the sole is stiffer than the SHB95, i'd rate the SHB89MX's sole as medium stiff. as a result of better lateral support and stiffer sole, the shoes are more stable than the SHB95.

another thing i noticed is that while the sole is stiffer if you try to twisting or bending it, it has more padding at the ankle area. so if you land on the ankle, it is like having a stable base yet padded. which i think is very nice.

as for grip, i think they are about equal. the SHB89MX feel grippier but i attribute that more to the newness instead.

all in all, i am happy with my new purchase.

2. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Thanks for the review. I might consider the SHB-89MX sometime as they are as cheap as the SHB-92EX here. Just please update us on any durability issue. I noticed that even after months of use, my JP SHB95's grey decorative design on the side snapped after massive lunging. I guess this may or may not be an issue if you have wide feet because I have to tie them tight with my narrow feet.

What insoles are you using? The stock ones? I noticed that the SHB-95Non-Ex JP soles are so freaking stiff with the Dr. Scholes sport insole. So you'll really feel the impact on the landing of a jump smash or something.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    my SHB95 JP has been pretty bombproof and lives up to the JP quality. the only two problems i have seen are bits of the sole came off which you must have read. and then after 1.5 years, there is a hole developing at the top of the shoes where the big toes presses against. i am not holding that against Yonex as 1.5 yrs is more than what i'd expect a shoe to last. aside from that, i see no strips ungluing or any other quality problems. there are only what i'd considered as regular wear.

anyways, back to the SHB89MX. after 2-3 weeks, i haven't noticed anything falling off yet. so that's a good sign. i have been using the stock insoles. i have problems with the Dr. Scholl's Sports Advantage. i will post it in this thread in a short moment:

http://www.badmintonforum.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=70272#post70272

and yes, the SHB95 sole is stiffer than the SHB89MX. as mentioned, there seems to be some extra padding on the sole, and i don't think the insole has anything to do with it.

4. Traum

Traum Regular Member

So kwun, you've given us the comparison/review, but what about the verdict? Which pair do you prefer more, and why?

-Rick

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ok. i have used the SHB89 for nearly two months now. the verdict is that i prefer the SHB89 to the SHB95. here is why.

comfort and softness, i think the SHB95 is better. feels like wearing a pair of socks. the SHB89 doesn't have such a fitting feel. however, the SHB89 provides more support. and as i am focusing more on footwork movements, i find the support to be preferable. it is still comfortable, just not as comfy as the SHB95.

i think Yonex has a winner here in the SHB89

6. coupii

coupii Regular Member

Physician
    I agree. I used SHB95 for one a half years, and for the most part I liked it. My complaints with SHB95 however were that my foot moved around inside the shoe, and the stock insole was really bad, so I had to replace it.

I've used SHB89 now for 3 weeks. The first time I used it hurt, so there is definitely some breaking in time needed. But the insole seems much better, and it is a tighter fitting shoe so my foot doesn't move around. I also feel that it is grippier than the SHB95. I attribute this to more than just because it is new, because I don't remember my SHB95 being as grippy when it was new. The grippiness did trip me up initially a couple times since I sometimes brush my feet on the ground when I move laterally, but concentrating a little more on my footwork cleared that up. One thing I will add is that my feet feel more stable and secure when landing after jumping, which is really nice.

The SHB89 is a very strong and stable, tight-fitting shoe. It's definitely not as comfortable as the SHB95, and my feet feel a little sore after I play. Hopefully this will go away as I break it in. But aside from comfort, performance-wise, the 89 is better than the 95.

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I do agree with Kwun in regards to the Shb89.
    I dont really like the shb95. I wore it less than a year , the soles is still ok .. but the uppers broke. The uppers not so durable.

8. rogerli

rogerli New Member

Student
    i tried buying my first pair of baminton shoes yesterday from nycbadminton. i had really liked the shb-95 design and they told me they had it. when i went to pick it up, i opened the box and saw a pair of yonex shoes with orange design. i was like ummm, are you sure these are the shb-95s? apparently, the 95s are no longer being made? can someone confirm that? well, i bought the 89s and have yet to try them out. but they feel really soft and plenty of toe room. at least a lot more than my iverson sneakers. haha.

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I was trying to buy 92 from them, but I was told they currently only carrying 89. Not sure about whether 92 and 95 being discontinued or just they don't want to carry too many models.

Btw, u came all the way to NYC to pick up badminton shoes???

10. rogerli

rogerli New Member

Student
    i go to school in boston but live in NJ. i'm just back home for a week before school starts up again. attending weddings and bdays and stuff. figured it would be the perfect time to get my shoes. can you believe there are no badminton shops in boston???

11. ants

ants Regular Member

I think they discountinued the Shb95 already

12. Phil

Phil Regular Member

Lawyer
    Yup.

I was going to order them from a guy who has direct contact with Yonex a couple weeks ago but they were unavailable, the SHB-89 in its place, which arrived at my house today. Will post review later on it if I feel like it.

Don't know why the SHB-95 would still be in their catalogue though...

Phil

13. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

curious...it's in the catalogue like u mentioned...could it depend on which area of the world you live in? We've had discussions on rackets being discontinued but are still sold in other parts of the world.

Anyways, back on topic, form what i've read, sounds like the SHB89M are a good pair of shoes. I might get a pair after i've wore out my shb 92s.. besides how it performs (which everyone should think is the main factor to a decision)..i like the color:D

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Actually, many members in my club (including me) prefer the silver 89LX color.

But too bad, we all still settled for the orange 89MX, and jealously looking at female members' 89LX. So far, none of us guys are "brave" enough to try out 89LX in public yet... :D

15. ants

ants Regular Member

Lazybuddy... maybe you should stand out from your frens and try the LSHb89. EHhehe.. so they will be distracted when u play with them. Btw do you get a shoe bag when u purchase the Shb89?

16. coupii

coupii Regular Member

Physician
    Since my main problem with the 95's were that they were too wide for my feet, I considered buying the 89 "ladies", since my retailer told me they were more narrow than the "men's" version. But when I tried out the "men's" version I found them to be tight enough so I didn't get the "ladies" version. I think silver is not too feminine of a colour, so the gender-specificity of the shoe shouldn't be a problem. Not like it's hot pink or something. hehe. But ya, I thought the silver ones looked nice too.

17. ants

ants Regular Member

actually there is no difference in badminton shoes inregards to female and male.. from what i see.. both is almost the same.. only the difference is color. but i see alot of silver colored badminton shoes, unlike Nike Air Max or presto.. u can differenciate and see from the womens and mens shoe.

18. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i thought female feets are narrower in general, that's why some brands have female and male version shoes and ski boots.

19. ants

ants Regular Member

i don't know much about Ski boots. Coz i never skiied before. Some guys do wear gals shoe coz their feet is smaller. Some just called it womens shoe based on the color they have.. so called more feminine if you may corect me. IMHO. :)

20. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Guess the "package" is different again in US and Asia?

I only get a paper box, when open up, the shoes are there. But I have a big racket bag, so I can stock my shoes in the "wet bags" without problem.