Modernizing Badminton: Increasing the Height of the Net

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by quisitor, Jul 11, 2005.

1. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Yes she would, in your dreams :p :D

2. ErrBerr

ErrBerr Regular Member

Student
    Guys.. anything that you want can happen in your dreams! Note: ANYTHING.. ANY-THING!!! ;)

3. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Err...I think you guys has been had...

...I think it's one of those 'sham' post designed to invoke strong emotions from the community. Given all the responses, I don't see the original poster, Quisitor, responding and/or clarifying his position.

:p

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    hindsight is 20/20 ;)

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I applaud guys like Quisitor who's willing to stick it out and post his thoughts, no matter how controversial they may be. It'll be better if he could reinforce his argument more rationally. I do suspect that he get this idea after a particularly punishing game and wanted to vent some frustration:p. Goodness knows we all have days like these:)!

6. Super~ME!

Super~ME! Regular Member

student
    yeah....it looks kinda pathetic if you ask me. it's pretty much tennis without the net and bounce cause it appears that all you can do is basically lob it back and forth. what really p!$$e$ me of is how they claim that it's a "new kind of high-octane badminton" like...they think so low of badminton already, but they expect to get somewhere with that...:confused:

7. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

i agree .. its dumb, really dumb

its already hard for kids to enjoy this game because they can only hit the shuttle up... and cannot smash.

thats one of the worst things about competitive basketball - your height is a prerequisit... which basically eliminates mass groups of people from even dreaming about being an elite player.

dont do this to badminton as well.

8. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

that speedminton is RETARDED! lol i wonder how far it will go...:cool:

9. keith_aquino

keith_aquino Regular Member

part-time student, full-time baddy fanatic
    Both sides improve, so what makes a difference? Also, I'm shorter than six feet :eek:. My point is that we still have the same resources; so it doesn't really make any difference.

#49 keith_aquino, Jul 16, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2005
  10. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    badminton does not need any changes regarding the height or dimensions of the court, like mentioned before i think that lots of people would have some problems adapting to it. but just curious like so many others why 4cm? is there some reason or was it just the lucky number that got picked. oh and that speedminton wtf that promotional video with all the kids playing looks rather gay...getting back to badminton great things are best left unchanged.

11. __Lam

__Lam Regular Member

LOL agree. badminton is a great sport alone and doesnt need to be mixed in with that crap

12. quisitor

quisitor Regular Member

Revisited: Increasing the Height of the Net

Time passes.

The introduction of an idea revisited.

Individuals quick to condemn gain opportunity for increased depth of thought and wisdom through the passage of the sands.

A new scoring system initially crucified by the masses shows light of acceptance.

Xenophobia, complacency and self-entitlement reflect poorly on us not only as citizens but as sporting figures and as society.

Long persecuted for its popularity and authenticity as a real sport, shall its players ignominously refuse to open up its ways to inspection and scrutiny?

Are masqueraders who would cover up poor defence with offencive lobs unaware how transparently they are seen through?

Isn't it about time badminton accommodated the modern athlete by increasing the height of its net by 4cm?

13. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

The height of the net was not determined based on some calculation involving the mean height of the players involved. It was pretty much arbitrarily chosen. For example, why are volleyball nets so high? Tennis nets so low? Soccer nets so large yet hockey nets so small? No reason, they were just chosen to be like that. Perhaps it was easier to manufacture them in those dimensions.

The thing is, these nets have all already been manufactured. To change the dimensions now would be pretty costly if we had to replace or modify all existing nets with new ones. A cost that will be too high considering the lack of truly useful benefits. At least the new scoring system doesn't cost anything in terms of equipment replacement.

Perhaps what you should do is create an offshoot sport like speedminton. I've got an idea: maybe you can attach the net to trees instead of posts, and call the game treeminton. As time passes, the trees will grow, and so will the height of the net. You'll even have seasonal variations - such falling leaves in the fall for extra challenge. Watch out, I'm sure it'll be the next big thing!

14. jerby

jerby Regular Member

What would 4cm change? smashes will just go flatter, but still just as hard....
    a delciate shot, like a deceptive drop, will be much slower...

also, I ahven't really seen an argument why it woudl help...what does it change?

also, to comment on your starting post. I think your take on (professinal) singles is wrought and wrong.,..
    You look at them playign and you onyl see smashes? look better..

15. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Completely and absolutely disagree with any form of height increase of the net. It is xenophobic, complacent and self-entitled for anybody to suggest this.

Not everybody has grown taller and certainly not everybody is tall.

16. HappyPlato

HappyPlato Regular Member

Are you suggesting that taller people have more of an advantage in Badminton? I hadn't noticed taller people win more games.

Buy a shoe 4cm higher negate your 4cm higher net? Why stop at 4 cm? Why not as high as volleyball net?

17. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Leveraging new technologies to improve line judging...YES
    Increasing the height of the net...BIG NO NO....or just dun call it badminton anymore.

We use new technologies to make badminton a better and easier sport to play, not to make it harder. Besides, there is still plenty of areas that can be improved such as plastic shuttlecock, lighting design, ...etc

18. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Cute idea. Got to try it at a volleyball net if I have a chance, it would be hilarious considering the size of the courts. :D :D :D

19. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

Also have six players on each side so that way more people can play at the same time.;)

20. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    Not a good idea considering clashing of rackets. 2 maximum since not like to have smashes. :D