Modernizing Badminton: Increasing the Height of the Net

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by quisitor, Jul 11, 2005.

1. joonu

joonu Regular Member

executive
    No.We can hear quisitor with patience and tolerance and make him convince that his suggestion has nothing to do with modernisation and improvement.At the same time we can accept if any good byproduct comes out during the discussion.

2. jerby

jerby Regular Member

dude, if you feel artistic, be my guest and change it...;)

haven't you noticed he smashes/drops with his bare hands?:D

3. jerby

jerby Regular Member

[​IMG]

how 'bout that?

4. stumblingfeet

stumblingfeet Regular Member

Haha, I was just kidding with you.

Actually, I like the originals better, they had more style.

5. pedro22

pedro22 Regular Member

Quisitor, from you post below, it appears your definintion of "modernize" is to allow lower level players a fair chance to win against higher level players. If this is what you want, then a handicapping system like in golf would probably be a better idea.

6. 2007fp

2007fp Regular Member

Student
    in my apartmet the net is even higher than me.. n im 5 ft 9... no smash can go thru, except jump smash, it make the game boring. normal dive, wont go thru, smash wont go thru.. anything just boring..

7. RiceBaiiKhao

RiceBaiiKhao Regular Member

If you think the rackets are too powerful
    and smashes are too strong,

Make slower shuttlecocks

8. 2007fp

2007fp Regular Member

Student
    I rather play with faster shuttle, cause it can train your response..

9. melsenga

melsenga New Member

finance manager
    all these discussions are healthy but avails to nothing...what badminton needs is to be "revolutionized" like holding a separate tournament wherein the "nylon" shuttlecock is used...this colorful "synthetic" feather is more receptive as it tends to bounce off the racquet quickly and speeds on to its intended mark on the court...it takes some level of skill to control these speedos....and that is what our sport is about, speed!!!!we need not increase or decrease the net height, nor should we improve more on the racquet technology since these matters doesnt have anything to do with our talent... but what should be the focus of attention is how we control the ball we use to score points...

10. wun.sun

wun.sun Regular Member

I'm short enough. I don't need another hinderance to my height. >.<

11. wedgewenis

wedgewenis Regular Member

Raising the net height would be un-fair as it would give shorter players a serious disadvantage in attacking shots

if you dont like badminton go make your own sport. seriously.

12. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Yeah, let's use a volleyball net & court while we're at it. That will slow down those super-human suckas with their high-tech rackets.

Seriously, other less intrusive counter-measures might be more appropriate.

In tennis, the men's game became way too fast, characterized by very short rallies = boring, during the '90s. This was due to technology & fitter athletes. One solution was to increase the diameter of the tennis ball for increased air resistance, thus slowing down the ball considerably. While this change appears to have improved table tennis (esp ball control), it did not work out at all for court tennis. The larger diameter for tennis appear to cause more arm problems (shoulder & elbow) for various reasons.

Several other solutions have proved to be very beneficial to the game of tennis. The first of these was actually implemented back in the '70s. The ball was changed from white to optic yellow (greenish-yellow) for improved visual contrast. Not sure why this has not also become the standard for badminton.

More recently, tennis courts have been made slower (ball loses more speed on the bounce). Even the very fast grass of Wimbledon has been changed to slow it down somewhat. The optic yellow ball has also become brighter in the past decade or two. This has improved the ability of players to return 130-150+ MPH serves more often.

Don't know if badminton players will consent to a slower shuttle but other changes could be implemented instead. Changing the shuttle color for improving visual perception of very fast shuttles would help quite a bit. Also improving lighting conditions and background colors would be very helpful in many gyms to offset increased shuttle speeds.

Think that it would also be very good for badminton to change the serving rules to discourage drive serves. That particular rule as it was written before rally scoring was implemented was much better than the vaguely-worded rule now in effect.

13. melsenga

melsenga New Member

finance manager
    much has been said about these essential topics but one thing remains to be seen- will the badminton body governing us now accede to these suggestions to revolutionize our beloved game of badminton....i believe we still have a long way to go but its worth the try...we should start deliberations on them and maybe who knows, some kind-hearted and generous sponsors might take time and infuse resources all for the sake of improving our game. i am taking down these comments and suggestions and hope to come up with a summarized details of the things we should all look into...for the meantime, we will keep our options open and have fun participating in this forum...see ya guys and keep on writing...

14. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Badminton is not all about speed.

Why not just play tennis using a badminton court instead? The nylon shuttles were introduced, not because the playability but more due to the durability. :cool:

15. GunBlade008

GunBlade008 Regular Member

Student, Retail.
    Badminton is about power, stamina, finesse, tactics, speed, footwork, technique, reflex and fun :D

16. melsenga

melsenga New Member

finance manager
    Youre right when u said badminton is not just about speed but u forgot one fact, its the speed of the game that thrills us all and is what made badminton what it is today... u see, in tennis, theres' grasscourt, claycourt, carpet, cement, etc...all of which requires a certain level of skill to master...in badminton, we should also have a competiton with nylon being used since this is another level in our never-ending quest in competitive skills....we need not change anything except the lighting and background colors used in badminton courts (there should be a standardfor this though...); the height of the net stays, the length and width of the court is still proportional as it is....in tennis, the surface is a determining factor while in badminton, its the "ball" we use that would determine the pace of the game...​

17. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Synthetic shuttles

Not all synthetic shuttles have the same aerodynamics or react quite the same coming off the stringbed. Some are much better than others for playability. Don't think that we are at the point where nylon shuttles can replace feathers... I'm looking forward to it tho'. By the same, many cheaper feather shuttles are lacking. Altho' my pref is a decent feather shuttle, I'd much rather play with a good synthetic shuttle than an inferior feather bird.

The optic yellow nylon shuttle is also a blessing for some gyms (eps those with white/light backgrounds or poor lighting). However, in gyms with yelllow walls, ceiling, floor or yellowing lighting, the white shuttle might be the better choice.

Note that good nylons shuttles, when struck hard, tend to come off the racket a bit slower than feather shuttles. Many nylon shuttles appear to be faster that feather birds because they do not decelerate at the same rate. There are some nylon shuttles that I refer to as "constant velocity" shuttles becuz they do not slow down very much at all. These constant velocity nylons are often favored by advanced beginners & low intermediates cuz it makes their smashes "awesome".

Other (better) nylons have a bit more drag (due primarily to air resistance) but usually still do not slow down quite as much as a good feather. Nylons also react a bit differently with net drops -- they can often tumble more than a feather bird.

A solidy-struck feather shuttle acts differently in the first milliseconds after contact than does a nylon struck in the same manner. You can even hear this diff. A well-struck feather shuttle produces a loud, staccato "crack" upon impact. Nylon birds, even those with real cork bases, do not make that same sound. I believe that this happens for 2 or 3 reasons.

Speculation #1: Feather shuttles turn around quicker that nylon shuttles when they leave the stringbed. If the nylon shuttle takes longer to turn around, then it catches more air at the very begining of its flight. This factor cause the feather bird to have an initial acceleration & velocity (in the first few milliseconds?) that is greater than does the nylon shuttle.

Speculation #2:
    Feather shuttles become a bit more streamlined when accelerated to a high speed. This would make them faster at the begining of their flight. However as they travel thru the air, the feathers resume their original flare. This results in a braking action during the flight of the shuttle.

I recall some time back that someone made the claim that high-speed studies showed that skirt of nylon shuttles, when struck hard, become very distorted rather than more streamlined (like feather shuttles do). This skirt distortion tends to reduce the amount of initial acceleration & velocity.

Speculation #3: Because the skirt of a nylon shuttle differs from that of a feather shuttle (with its overlapping feathers), both the spin and the drag due air resistance will differ somewhat. These physical differences will result diffs in aerodynamics -- they way the shuttle flies thru the air & the rate of acceleration & deceleration.

I really wouldn't mind seeing high level tournaments played with colored synthetic shuttles if the physical characteristics of these shuttles were improved to more closely resemble the aerodynamics of a good feather shuttle. To my mind the Yonex 350 and 500 are the best synthetics that I've tried. (The yellow 350 is my favorite). Still don't feel that these are quite good enuff to replace feathers.

I've not seen the 370 in this area. Some ppl prefer the 300 but I find these shuttles don't decelerate quickly enuff (almost, but not quite, a "constant velocity" beginner shuttle).

18. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

replacing the shuttle will be alright. but it's definitely a no-no to increase the height of net. how to smash when the height of the net increases??

19. hardeep_21

hardeep_21 Regular Member

When I read the title for this thread i was LMAO, but when I read the whole thing, I was ROFLMAO!

20. SystemicAnomaly

pre-Occupied
    Good idea, melsenga. Keep us posted on that effort.