Minor issues with 2008 OG badminton

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by silentheart, Aug 18, 2008.

1. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Didn't INA MD mk/hs using more strategy, craftiness, skill beat CHN MD fu/cai of the power and speed fame?

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    There may be some other games using the 21 rally points scoring system.
    Care to name some?

Beach volley ball (apart from the tradtional volleyball?)
    Table-tennis is quite close with 7x11.
    ;)

3. victory

victory Regular Member

I think 3x21 is just fine.

Initially many people including me thought the format will take away large part of the skills elements of badminton. We thought badminton will turn into very highly speed and power driven. Obviouly this is not the case. We still see some awesome beautifull skills being employed in badminton in all the events.

Under this format, players have to be an all rounder to have the best chance to win consistently. You don't see players that just rely on defence and stamina to wear down opponents now. Gone are the days for players like Foo Kok Kong, Han jian, Ardy Wiranata, Xiong Guo Bao and some others. Even if players play stroke game, the over all speed is much faster and couple with more explosive attack.

For double events, We see more high speed flat drives and attack at the net rather than just " defence/attack style" at the back. It is more exciting that even MD and XD are very nice to watch.

Yes the time frame for certain events is shorter but it brings out the overall/best quality in th players.

I support existing format. I think advertisement just have to work around this format. It is not a very big issue.

4. bhtan

bhtan Regular Member

Seen the match. Both side also the same strategy of power attack , high speed low net drive to force a lift, desperate defence. Standard MD game.
    INA team did it much better, China team too must mistake.

Contary, MS gold and bronze match is very different is strategy and style. Even each point in the gold match is won very uniquely. A lot terrific moment, i literally lift my leg and fist in excitment. Beautiful game to showcase.

5. bhtan

bhtan Regular Member

But i doubt increasing point in MD will make it more exciting.

As i think these professionals have enough energy and stamina to do the same for another 3x21.

And increasing points does not change the fact that power attacking still heavily outweight other skills.

6. copadh

copadh Regular Member

beach volleyball like badminton using best-of-three games, the different is they use 1x15 in the deciding set, not 21.
    indoor volleyball using best-of-five sets, 4x25 plus 1x15 in the last set, if needed. No different for man or woman team
    table tennis is best-of-seven sets, 11 points each.

Each sports has their unique style and system, but its apllied for man and woman.
    In badminton, best-of-three sets system with 21 point each, MD will finished very fast, while WS and WD could stay more than 1 hour. But using different scoring system for MD and WS/WD will be counterproductive. People will think this sport is not easy too understand, too many rules, and discriminative from gender perspective...

Just keep it 3x21 (or 3x25) with longer interval for more commercial break.

7. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Very good analysis. Just adding to the points on the length of game and advertisement. The solution is very simple. One, the umpire need not rush the players along and allow more towel breaks. The players rest longer and enhance quality of long enduring games. End result is the game gets a bit longer. Two, add a second intermission at 8 and 16 points. Lengthen the break to 3 to 4 minutes to allow a full 2-minutes commercial breaks.

8. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I like your idea of 25/25/21.For MS and MD, 21/21 are too short for the first two games.Ideally if the players are same level,it should have the opportunity to go to a decider. To compensate for the lengthened G1 & G2, the decider should be shortened to 13, 15 or 17.
    The whole idea behind longer G1 and G2 is to increase the chances of the top MS and MD showcasing their stuff for at least 40-50 mins.With the decider finishing in 10-15 mins.
    (Bear in mind that BWF rules require all events to follow the same format so this will apply to WD as well.Don't know about others but I dread WD matches.They go on for too long.)

9. HiddenPower

HiddenPower Regular Member

3X21 system is good enough. Intense and short.

I still remember watching 2006 Boston Open WS and WD final, was still the old 3*15 (or 3*11 for ladies?), I fall in sleep in between the games, even though the game was good.