Minor issues with 2008 OG badminton

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by silentheart, Aug 18, 2008.

1. aDiLaH

aDiLaH Regular Member

student
    what the fish!!~
    i still can't believe that lee chong wei lost to lin dan,,,
    the game also very easy for lin dan,,,,
    no challenge after all,,,,

2. aDiLaH

aDiLaH Regular Member

student
    out of topics,,,,
    sorry,,,
    heheheh =D

3. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    maybe this is more of a problem of OSS/NSS, and not with OG08 itself...this thread should be moved. other than that, i think it should be kepted the same way. too much switching will ruin things. the NSS definately makes matches more exciting, predictable(length/winner wise), intense, and definately TV friendly, which will help in the long run. you don't see table tennis go 5X21 or 31 because the sets/games/matches are too short. the reason matches are so short are either because 1 side is wayy stronger than the other. until the level picks up, we won't see longer matches. how else do we explain why when it comes to QFs/SFs/Fs there's always so many familiar faces/names? this scoring system helps good players maintain their rightful rankings, while still providing easier chances of upsets with each rally scoring a point, and being meaningful.

4. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1) I need to be the camera man so I can shoot more of the fixing underpants shots.
    2) Exactly my point. If you can have more commercial time between switching side or more time between games or more sets, it helps TV station make more money so they are more welling to put it on TV.

5. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

I agree that 1/2 hour match is too short for a match, especially for advertisers. But I guess that is mostly a US problem where only single game is shown and the length can be unpredictable. Do you guys in Asian/Europe have the same complain?

As for physical demand, that can be solved by mandating 2 3-minutes breaks (enough for 4 commercials) in the middle of a game (like volleyball). With that, each match has a minimum of 7 (1+2+1+2+1) breaks. If that is still a problem, the umpires need not rush the players and give them more time between points and more lax on towel break, etc.

As for cutting away for commercial, I think that is a NBC problem. The games were taped-delay. They could have easily restart the match from where they left off. Also, the TV commentators are in NY, they are not in Beijing.

6. halvepizza93

halvepizza93 Regular Member

begging
    5x15 or 3x27 both rallypoint

5x21 is just crazy for a quick sport like badminton; can't be fast for so long- and trying to be fast for so long, you will get injured. you will. also you'd have a major decrease in level of play

7. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Er... I say the current format is especially ideal for WD! Otherwise, they will rally-rally-rally till we're all asleep... :D

But waaay too fast for world class MD. For amateur matches like what I play every weekend, the 21-point-rally-point system is ideal... ;) :D Really kept me from being injured... ;)

8. bhtan

bhtan Regular Member

Lindan and LCW's match just happens to be extremely 'short' match.

If we see the bronze match between china chen and korean Lee. After 2x21 they both are already very tired. Another 1x21 is possible . But another 3x21 ?

The present 'attack' style will give way to 'rally/endurence' style. Not interesting to watch anymore.

9. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    People are just focusing too much on their own need for enduring entertainment, while not finding sympathy for the players who endure the more agonizing side of that exposure. There's no use criticizing the scoring system here, and there's really no use arguing about it at all, since it will not be changed for a while.

10. msianshuttler

msianshuttler Regular Member

photographer
    I think it's fine the way it is. Too much tinkering is going to cause chaos. Remember the ill-fated 5 x 7 or something ridiculous format?

Boy was that lame! I would hate to see the game become like basketball with all manner of interruptions for commercial time-outs and so on.

I didn't like NBC's coverage in the US. Everything wasn't "live." I suppose it's asking a lot for them to do so. But they didn't even show badminton live when their representative Howard Bach and Bob Malaythong played.

If not for the online website, I would have missed a lot of the badminton action. They hired a "commentator" who typed his observations in a box during the matches.

Obviously they needed someone with more know how. His responses were trite and superficial.

Malaysian badminton fans, please tell me what you think now that the badminton competition is over.

http://insidebadminton.blogspot.com/

11. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree, we are all here talking about badminton days in and days out partly due to the success of 21-point system. It's much more exciting to watch and make us more willingly to watch all the events, including WD. Why care about the quantity of how many points should they play, the quality is more important and 21-point provide that balance.
    Certainly the old system also has it merit but lets move on and and stay on the new one that makes us "woo and ahh"!

12. Woody

Woody Regular Member

I worked at the TUC in Jakarta and saw the TV floor controller managing things from the TV perspective.

He was very happy to signal to the Umpire when it was ok to commence the match i.e. introduce the players, then there was the mandatory 30 second break at 11 points with again a mandatory 2 miutes between games.

TV were more than happy all week and it did not interfere with the matchs at all.

As regards the new scoring system I have been organising tournaments for more than 20 years and I have to say it is much easier than before. I refereed a tournament in April with 11 different events over two days and was responsible for scheduling all matchs. I was lucky that no matchs went to hour long epics but at the end of the tourament several players said to me it was the first time they had been called for matchs on time and the tournament started and finished absolutely on schedule. As I said this was uck but with the OSS it would not have been achieved.

13. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Another minor complain of NBC coverage but not entirely their false. In comparing 08OG versus 04OG, I liked the 04OG better. Last time, they were lucky to have followed TH's more interesting personality as he matched to the gold. So, the continuous coverage was better because of that. This time, the games were pretty random that unless you are very familiar with the players, it wouldn't be as interesting.

14. Tsumaranai

Tsumaranai Regular Member

Student
    Well, there wasn't actual commentating, unless you watched some of the few matches covered on television. Though, I doubt that it wasn't as bland or moreso than the commentary typed online.

15. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

i remember watching a friendly match between China and England years ago in Milton Keyne, it was a yearly event then. it was a finely balanced match that went on to 3-3, and eventually 4-3 to China with the final match finished way passed midnight, and then another 2 hours drive home!

16. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

Gillian Clark was complaining on the BBC commentary that men's doubles, the supposed showcase disciplne for badminton, has become far too brief these days and, in the case of this Olympics, I would agree. Moreover, I think the only discpline that hasn't been compromised is WS.

For my money, up to 25 in the first two games and then up to 21 in the decider (if there is one) would be better. I think something similar occurs in volleyball.

17. bhtan

bhtan Regular Member

i too feel MD is missing something at that level of play. Somehow, high speed driving/whacking becomes the main key to do. And really the winning is amost always those that does speed the best.

If increase the points can enhance other factors (ie strategy, craftiness,skill) in MD game , i like to see .

18. bhtan

bhtan Regular Member

i too feel MD is missing something at that level of play. Somehow, high speed driving/whacking becomes the key. And the winning is amost always those that does speed the best.

If increase the points can enhance other factors (ie strategy, craftiness,skill) in MD game , i like to see .

19. viver

viver Regular Member

I lost some interest in the games with the 21x3 format.

If time is a factor, I would suggest a time limit for the matches - like in other sports, such as football, basketball, etc.. Scoring format is the server scores and if by the time limit the match is not over, whoever is leading wins the match.

Just my thoughts.

20. Armor_tec_14

Armor_tec_14 Regular Member

School..Dont have one :P
    I Like 3x21.....