Maybe a lower profile approach would be better

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by Pemuda, Jul 18, 2008.

1. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    ina wd can spring surprise...i believe xd is ina if no unfair thing happen...come on...just believe in TH for the last time...the final time...maybe he also will be in final too...but SDK...hmm...depend to draw...if TH meets ld 1st...i think ld will lose...^^...

2. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

LYB is a relatively quiet guy now because his confidence about CHN is pitiful.When his A team had to go to a B tournament to have a 'clean sweep' rehearsal,it is the saddest indication of LYB's lack of confidence.
    Now his talk has changed to welcoming the competition because it helps raise CHN's standards.Well, CHN's standards has not really gone up much;in some cases, the standard has gone down, hasn't it?
    Truth is non-CHN players standard's gone up and that's because of more funding and concerted effort to maximise their players' potential.

3. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Errrr, sori Oldhand, that's the same question the media ask & bug all the coaches & officials of OG bound althetes, not just badminton. And YKH's comment is actually tempered down already, you havent read the Chef de Mission's comment (NST, Utusan 6 July 2008) abt Msia having good chance of 1st OG gold thru badminton.:p

YKH's just saying he has confidence in the players' abilities, the players need to believe in themselves (aft comparing his statements from 2 malay language, this one from The Star & 1 from NST, entitled "Self-belief the key") . In the NST & malay press, YKH sound very normal only. Just depends which newspaper one reads.;);)

Rexy also talked positively (Utusan, 18 July 2008) -
    "Saya percaya pasangan Malaysia merupakan antara calon untuk memenangi pingat di Beijing. Peluang mereka adalah realistik dan laluan akan lebih jelas selepas undian dibuat (26 Julai ini).I beleive Msia pairs are one of the candidates to win medal in Beijing. Their chances are realistic & the path will be clearer aft the draws are out.:D

We wait & see

#23 eaglehelang, Jul 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  4. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Thats Malaysia Boleh for you. We never learn. We just cant keep a low profile. We gotta roll out that marching band and wake up the entire neighbourhood.

And Australia are world class in swimming. They have numerous Olympic golds and World records. They have the history and track record. As for Malaysia, we have yet to win our 1st Olympic gold nor the WC in badminton.

Unless you count having the world tallest pencil, flagpole, longest hula hooping etc as some form of basis to apply some 'psychology'....

5. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I did. You still remember our approach and preparations prior to the TC?? ;)

6. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

When we talk about Korea & China. We need to be clear that they, Korea & China have a few Olympic gold medals in their respective trophy cabinets. Other than Olympic honours, they have also won the WC.

And I dont think their respective press dont cover them. I believe their head coaches play their cards close to their chests unlike us. We like to show hand, ala Malaysia Boleh style. Glamour la.

From my minimal previous experience when I was playing national junior football. I have observed how the Koreans train. They really take a no nonsense approach. They are tight when it comes to discipline. No distractions, no hanger-ons or whatsoever. Whereas our Malaysian camp was more 'free n easy'. We were allowed handphones, flexible curfew hours and we have a whole bunch of people walking in and out.

Malaysia, having never won the Olympic gold before, I feel for a change, a lower profile approach may sort of allow our shuttlers some breathing space (after all our shuttlers are not known for their temperament).

Hope and confidence dont need to be displayed via a press conference.

7. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Open China's trophy cabinet and have a look.

Then open Malaysia's ............... and please having that world tallest pencil & flagpole, biggest roti canai or longest hula hooping dont count.

8. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Now it is Rashid's turn ....

Sunday July 20, 2008

Star Online

Rashid Sidek throws down gauntlet at Chong Wei

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: Former national number one Rashid Sidek is tired of being referred to as the only Malaysian to win a men's singles medal in the Olympics.
    He has challenged Lee Chong Wei to better the record by reaching the final in the Games in Beijing next month. And Rashid, who won a bronze medal in the 1996 Atlanta Games, believes that Chong Wei has the ability to stand up to the challenges.
    “I do not want to be tagged with this record anymore. It was great when I won a bronze medal at that time. It was the country's first singles medal. But it was so long ago,” said Rashid.
    [​IMG] Moment to cherish: This 1996 filepic shows Rashid Sidek showing off his Atlanta Olympics bronze medal to his parents.
    “In the last two Olympics (in Sydney and Athens), I did not see any Malaysian player who could be rated a strong contender for a medal. They were good but not convincing enough.
    “This time, Chong Wei has earned my respect. He has been consistent and has placed himself as a genuine contender for the medal. This is his best opportunity and I hope he will do better than me.”
    Rashid believes that the battles for medals will be among Chong Wei and the Chinese players. China have three players in the fray – world champion Lin Dan, Bao Chunlai and Chen Jin. And the Chinese hopes are high on one of them to emerge as only the second Chinese to win an Olympic men's singles gold medal after Ji Xinpeng in 2000 Sydney.
    “Out of the three Chinese, Lin Dan and Chen Jin will be the bigger threats. Other players (from Indonesia, Denmark or South Korea) do not appear to be very convincing, based on their recent performances,” said Rashid.
    His only worry is on Chong Wei's ability to handle the pressure during the Games. He remembers Chong Wei getting cold feet during the World Championships in Kuala Lumpur last year, going down to an uncharacteristically tame defeat by Indonesian Sony Dwi Kuncoro in the third round.
    “Chong Wei was one of the favourites during the world championships. There was high expectations on him but he could not handle the situation then,” said Rashid.
    “He has learnt much from the bitter defeat. So far, he has been handling himself well in major tournaments (en route to winning the Malaysian and Singapore Opens). Hopefully, he will continue to stay strong mentally in his bid to bring Olympic glory to the country.”

Wow!!! Rashid now throw in that bronze medal of his into the hat.:) Rashid mentioned he is especially worried about LCW's ability to handle the pressure, and yet he throw in this gauntlet at LCW. I mean, if you are worried about LCW's mentality, why issue this gauntlet thingy??? And it is only a bronze medal. What if LCW really do freeze in Beijing and come back empty handed? Imagine what this setback will do to LCW???

9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    If you're alleging that I changed your wording, that's nonsense.
    You need to check your own post before you allege such a thing.

For your convenience, your original post (#6) is reproduced below.
    The excerpted portion has been highlighted in red.

I do hope you have no difficulty recognizing your own words.

#29 Oldhand, Jul 20, 2008
  10. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    WOW Rashid does not think Korean or INA players posing big threats:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Hm..last time no one predicted him to win a bronze...;)

11. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Sorry. You are right. :D

12. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

It is the Olympics.
    We are playing in China.
    Our away track record aint that great, infact it is poor.

I believe it would have been better had our YKH & that Chef de Mission issued the following comments instead:

- "The Chinese shuttlers with homeground advantage will be tough to beat"
    - "LYB is not only a good coach, he is also a master strategist"
    - "The Koreans & Indonesians are favourites in the MD"

13. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

After Rashid's gauntlet, LCW is ready!!!!!

AFP - Thursday, July 17
    KUALA LUMPUR, July 17, 2008 (AFP) - Malaysia's best medal hope at the Beijing Olympics, badminton star Lee Chong Wei, is primed to upset China's world number Lin Dan on home soil and win gold.
    The world number two, boosted by beating Lin at the recent Thomas Cup tournament, plans to make the most of his trip to China.
    "We shouldn't be thinking about getting a second chance when we are talking about the Olympics," he told the New Straits Times.
    "This special event is held once every four years and that second opportunity may never come."
    Now 26, Chong Wei is one of the world's most consistent performers and he wants to make amends for his crushing defeat by Indonesian Sony Dwi Kuncoro in the third round of the world championships last year.
    While Lin will be his main threat, he is also wary of players such as South Koreans Lee Hyun-Il and Park Sung-Hwan, Boonsak Ponsana of Thailand, and defending Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia.
    The pressure is building but he feels he can cope.
    "A player is lying if he says there is no pressure. We are talking about winning an Olympic medal and the pressure will be greater in Beijing," he said.
    "Having said that, any player from the top eight of the world rankings is good enough to win a medal and I need to remain focused from the first round to be in the running."
    His coach Misbun Sidek said Chong Wei's confidence had been restored since his crushing disappointment at last year's worlds in Malaysia.
    "He is coping well with the expectations that come with being rated as Malaysia's medal hope in the Olympics," he told The Star newspaper.
    "He is more relaxed about it compared to previously when he tended to get agitated easily and lose focus.
    "In the past, he would be afraid of certain players but he now talks with confidence on how he can beat them."
    Malaysia's Beijing-bound badminton squad have been training individually but will join up from Monday for final preparations.

Malaysia this time sure 100% boleh.

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I kind of like this 'diplomatic' approach as it hurts nobody but at the same time not demeaning one's own abilities and confidence. :)

Yes indeed the professional players will know what its required of them during the Games. That's why they are training very hard to achieve their goal. To announce loudly to the world that they will win the gold medal, when they have never won before, is foolhardy no matter how well-prepared their players are! Just a matter of different opinion. ;)

15. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

It's becoming a personal chat session.
    Increasingly volatile as well.

9 posts deleted.
    No more, I hope :)

16. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    I just love how the media remembers that LCW defeated Lin Dan in their most recent meeting, but forget about LCW recent "defeats" to both Bao(China open07) and Chen Jin(All England08).

Yeah... like the OG only has 2 entrys for Mens Singles...:rolleyes:
    Makes me laugh even harder when they think Boonsak is more of a threat to LCW than the two players(listed above) who just recently defeated LCW.:confused::eek::eek::eek:

If I were LCW, I would begin to think of a person as scape goat to avoid the blame of the entire country with all these sort of media build ups.
    Ideal canadiates: yup, you got that right, his coach Misbun, or head coach Yip(yet again)...or the best one...Li Yongbo

#36 bananakid, Jul 20, 2008
  17. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hmm..part of your plan for the 1.000.000 posts thingy.??:rolleyes::rolleyes::mad::cool::cool::cool::cool::p:p:p:p
    hahha..juz joking:D

18. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Yes deleting all ours to promote his own.:D

19. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

I like the last part "..Li Yongbo.." i.e if you meant breaking the legs...ha...ha..
    You're really one 'sarcastically' humorous fella...well at least you're humorous and down to earth. As you can see, they are plenty of B'cers who can be quite warped in their views.

20. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

For every deleted post, we can count on you guys to post a dozen new ones :p
    That million isn't too far away now!