Maybe a lower profile approach would be better

Discussion in 'Olympics BEIJING 2008' started by Pemuda, Jul 18, 2008.

1. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    The expectations (from the coaches, the officials, the media and the fans) are now rolling in, as if off an assembly line. Should he fail to strike gold, Lee Chong Wei will finally find that the only scapegoat available is himself. Those who built Mt. Expectation will then be lining up with cries of 'lynch him' ;)

I'm already beginning to fear for his chances :(

2. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

You forgot something -- if he loses, you will have a huge amount of work to do. Imagine "You Know Who" getting into the "I told you so" and inciting everyone to response. I would not want to be in your shoes.:D

3. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    As i post... there are some Malaysians that don't want our players do well in the Olympics. They don't even want us to get the Gold in Badminton.

4. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

And why you would ask - after all they are Malaysians ? And they would argue like LCW has not got a chance in the world. At least, a true Malaysian would say "I think he has got a chance given his recent form". Do I need to go on, you wonder ?

5. Jagdpanther

Jagdpanther Regular Member

Uni Student
    What's their expectation, then?

6. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

They got no expectations - so it is easy to cast aspersion against the players.

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

they juz cant accept the fact that MAS has a good chace to win gold tis time..hmm..let it be so..:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    wonder what will happen if mas really wins a gold medal and show them.:rolleyes::rolleyes::)

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    mas can have a gold in archery and bike racing too

9. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Off topic :
    LOL, my bro, not gold lah, track cycling & archery are supposed to be outside chance for medal of any colour (i.e. bronze), based on recent good performance. Cycling =2008 Asia Champ for 2 events, archery =runner-up in 2008 World Champ.

In media build up cycling is seen as having higher chance than archery, with the usual round of interviews.

10. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    if them grab gold...kak belanja me when i go MO 2009...:p

11. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

based on the MOM or NSC expectation, they expect the athletes who are gonna participate in the OG08..they expect 4 gold medals..
    they believe malaysia had good chances to get gold especially in sports such as badminton, track cycling, taekwando, and 1 more sport i forgot!.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Remember they are human beings too. And being human, they also have their fair share of "errors of judgement" from time to time. They thought by publicising this, their athletes' confidence will soar and reward them accordingly ... with gold medals...hopefully! :cool:

13. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

talk less, do more...................we do not want NATO here......

14. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    :D:D:D
    one of my quotes..........:p:D:p:D

15. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    hostile...??

Tuesday July 22, 2008

Badminton: Kim Hock tells shuttlers to be prepared for hostile atmosphere

KUALA LUMPUR: China have sounded their intention to make a clean sweep of the five badminton gold medals at stake in the Beijing Olympics. And their opponents can expect an unfriendly atmosphere when they play against Chinese shuttlers.
    Malaysian Olympic-bound shuttlers assembled for centralised training at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara yesterday but national chief coach Yap Kim Hock said that they had no plans to have simulation matches.
    “We (the coaches) have discussed it but we felt it was not necessary because it is not a team competition. Moreover, all the players have had experience playing and doing well in China,” he said.
    “It is also difficult to get a crowd to create the simulated atmosphere. We also do not know the conditions at the competition venue until we arrive there.”
    The Olympic badminton competitions begin on Aug 9 and the Malaysian shuttlers will leave on Aug 5.
    “We have made a request to the organisers to train at the competition venue from Aug 6 but they have yet to get back to us,” said Kim Hock.
    “We have already made court bookings at an alternative venue in case we do not get to train at the competition venue immediately after we arrive.
    “There is plenty of time because the players will not be playing everyday as each individual round is spread out over at least two days.”

from: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2008/7/22/sports/21880336&sec=sports

unfriendly....?
    :D:D:D

16. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    during semi-f TC2008
    i do remember there are few uncles (pakcik) sitting in the box. wonder why and what is their purposes to be there?? :confused:

i read this, today morning
    Tuesday July 22, 2008

Give badminton hero due credit, say MPs

[​IMG] Teoh as he is now.
    IPOH: Even before independence, one man who put Malaya on the world map was Teoh Seng Khoon who helped the Thomas Cup team win its inaugural competition in 1949.
    Teoh, now 90 years old, played for the love of the game and his unwavering patriotic spirit for the country pushed him and his team-mates to crush a Danish team.
    Recalling the victory, Teoh said: “We had a re-match with the Danes who were unhappy that they lost to us.”
    Stressing that the victory was not a “fluke shot”, Teoh said the Malaya badminton team won with a six-to-one score.
    Speaking at a press conference organised by Ipoh Timor MP Lim Kit Siang and Ipoh Barat MP M. Kulasegaran yesterday, Teoh said he and his team had to play exhibition matches to collect public donation that paid for their trip to London in 1948.
    “We travelled for three weeks in a ship to get to our destination,” said Teoh, a former journalist with Straits Echo.
    Teoh partnered Ong Poh Lim for the doubles.
    The other team members were Ooi Teik Hock, Wong Peng Soon, Law Teik Hock, Lim Kee Fong, Yeoh Teck Chye, Seah Eng Hee and Chan Kon Leong.
    Earlier, Kit Siang said all sportsmen and sportswomen should be given proper recognition for their contribution to the country.
    Kulasegaran said the DAP hoped Teoh would be given an award for having brought fame to Malaya.

from: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/7/22/nation/21880208&sec=nation

:(

17. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

The perfect word should be 'smelly' but of course YKH cannot say that.

18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

I suggest you check the original source of claim. YKH never said about gold. As for chef de mission, well ,their job is to make small tea talk. That's why,through practice, they come out sounding like airheads.

19. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

You mean the football failure one who sounds like eternal sour grapes?There's something new in his regurgitated posts.He's introduced the element of 'luck' in winning;in case gold comes MAS way, then it will be because of 'luck'.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Of course YKH never made such a claim about gold and I thought he did the right thing. Nevertheless he is confident of a medal, whatever the colour and I thought Malaysia deserves at least one, whether it is from LCW or KKK/TBH or the "uncles".

That's the reason why I held out YKH as an example (to be modest) to those who made 'wild' claims yet unsubstantiated. ;)