Malaysia Open 2008 - Day 6 - Jan 20 - FINAL

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open 2008' started by badMania, Jan 19, 2008.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Kido/Hendra...kalian hebat (U guys rocks) !!!!!!

And finally....the last match of the evening, also the most anticipated one (for me), the Men's Doubles match between the 2007 World Champions Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan and the 2003 World Champions Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen. It was an enthralling match, especially the last 2 sets (too bad, no chance to watch the second set as it was cut from our broadcast).

The first set was a disaster for the Danes as they could not match the INA's pair speed. They started quite reasonably, trailing only 3 points at 8-11, but, it seemed that they were making many mistakes from the serves. Long serves ended up being killed by either Kido or Hendra, while short serves were also being devoured, mostly by Hendra in front of the net. So, the lead was widened in no time and the INA pair was at their merciless best in this set, winning it very comfortably at 21-10. It was clear that the Danes had to change their tactic as they could not dominate the net.

I didn't know what happened during the second set, but, I could observe that the Danes returned back a stronger and more composed pair in the rubber-set. And worryingly, Hendra was committing many mistakes in the early stage of the rubber-set. The Danes had a 3 pts lead at 5-2, before Kido/Hendra levelled it at 7-7. From then onwards, it was tit-for-tat and the lead kept changing hands until it was 17-17.

As abedeng pointed out, Kido was making many errors (but so was Hendra). IMHO, if not for Kido's smashes, I think the INA pair would have been finished as Hendra was not doing particularly well in the beginning stage of the third set. Fortunately, Hendra got better and was the one winning several key points in front of the net in the crucial stage of the rubber-set.

At 17-17, it was the Danes turn to make some errors and gifted 3 killer points to the INA pair. It was game over practically as the INA pair sealed the match 21-18. This was definitely one of Kido/Hendra's most difficult victory in the past few months. Kudos to Paaske/Rasmussen for pushing them so hard. The Danes deserved the title here really.....it was just so very close!!!

At the end, Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan scooped up their 3rd Super Series titles and matched Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun's record of 3 consecutive Super Series victories. Now, the question is: how far can they go in the Korea Open Super Series, especially when the draw is so much tougher, with another possible match against the Danes as early as R16 :eek:

2. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    One thing we have too note is that Paaske/Rasmussen are younger than other veteran pairs, hence they can hold up to the speed and last the distance better than say, CTF/LWW, TG/CW and MLH/JE.

They played 3 tough 3 game matches prior to final, yet is still able to maintain a decent challenge. Only their service game did not get up to mark.

3. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

LCW & LiMao

Just curious, did LCW and LiMao exchange hugs or words after the MSF? :confused:

4. carine

carine Regular Member

juz watch the RTM1 news,see them dey had exchange hugs after the MSF

5. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Thats good to hear. I hope their relationship/sportmanship doesnt turn sour. LCW is indeed a true champion, IMHO :)

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

WOW...u are right on these predictions....my vote on Zhu Lin went wrong :cool:

7. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Yawn.....it's not their fault that Koo/Tan and Fu/Cai went out early :cool: Besides, they thrashed Fu/Cai in the Semi-Final Hong Kong Open 2007 and the Final of China Open 2006.

The record against Koo/Tan remains as Kido/Hendra's "ugly spot" in their resume so far. We shall see how they fare when they are up against Koo/Tan yet again :cool:

8. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I was "lucky" to have watched the third set on delayed telecast in my friend's place. I wouldn't have been able to catch it if I were to stay at home and rely on live-streaming :eek:

What a nerve-wrecking third set it was....esp when it got from 7-7 to 17-17...with the lead kept changing hands.

9. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Oh Chris....u are so unpatriotic :confused::eek::rolleyes::cool::eek:

10. badMania

badMania Regular Member

One reason for the service errors: if long serves, ended up getting attacked (and hope they can retrieve the smashes :eek:). If they served short serves...even worse...more chance to die as they could not match Hendra in front of the net.....quite a dillemma for the Danes :eek:

11. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Hendra was way too sharp at pouncing on the serves, the danes might be a little intimidated. :cool:

12. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Either long or short serves will ended up getting devoured....so...the Danes were quite rattled, esp in the first set when they lost the points so quickly.

That's why they were pretty shaky and not that confident in serving today.

On the other hand, the INA pair was guilty of making many unforced errors as well, each player taking turns. From the posts of the second set (which I missed), they almost took it, leading 17-14 and 19-17, before Hendra's mistakes gifted the Danes the chance to level the scores and finish off the set :mad: This was reminiscent of the French Open QF against Choong/Lee when they were 3 pts ahead in the rubber-set, only to lose the match :eek::eek::mad:

13. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Even though Chong Wei is Li Mao ex-student but their relationship is good very good and Li Mao should be very proud of his charges playing such high quality in the final. Chong Wei style has changed quite a bit under Misbun, more on defense, clear, drop then mainly offense. I think Misbun style seem to suit Chong Wei better as he doesn't have the canon arm like Lin Dan but look at Li Hyun Il, he is really good and if he can maintain his form then don't be surprise to see him climb quickly up the ranking chart.
    I like Hyun Il's style, very solid in defense couples with Li Mao attacking trademark, fun to watch!
    Anyway, really proud of Chong Wei, so resilient and calm. I hope Chong Wei is heading to Korea Open to experience playing under hostile environment(that's why I don't agree with Rexy keeping KKK/TBH at home, let player expose to reality situation so they are more prepare when Olympic comes).
    Congratulation to Chong Wei and Hyun Il for providing such a high level match and bravo to Malaysian line judges.

14. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

LHI is officially back to his best, he should be able to beat anyone in such form. Hv not been seeing him played so well, not after LM left him few yrs ago. LCW on the other hand, is getting more mature in handling pressure, very patient in the rallies.

15. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

LCW is goin to Korea. MS strategy a bit different, they want to collect as many pts as possible for OG, to maintain no 2 spot. MD are preparing for Thomas Cup qualifiying in Feb.

16. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Always my hat off to our knowledgeable eagle since she flies from coast to coast and continent to continent...:D

17. Tommy Susanto

Tommy Susanto Regular Member

It is more on koo/tan over the hill, to add more pain to MAS fans, Rexy is leaving. Life sucks, ain't it? On the other hand, Mk/HS rocks on and marching steadily towards OG:D

18. morphy

morphy Regular Member

Nice to see INA fans like raining on other ppls parade. LCW won let them enjoy it. MK/HS won INA celebrate, what's the problem?
    Also your info on rexy abit outdated ;p.

19. Tommy Susanto

Tommy Susanto Regular Member

You cannot be serious(McEnroe):DI have no control over one's wins' or defeats':rolleyes:Ok guess Rexy is staying, happy now:p

20. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Every players in each single events need OG point, regardless of MD or MD :cool: