Malaysia Open 2008 - Day 6 - Jan 20 - FINAL

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open 2008' started by badMania, Jan 19, 2008.

1. nick.h

nick.h Regular Member

student
    yes sorry i jst realized what i was missing after i posted...sigh...big deal...

#1121 nick.h, Jan 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  2. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    he..he ya.... :D fully agreed :D

3. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Yup, so no arguement on who's better as yet, not till one of them win OG gold. And when you mention 3 heavenly kings, reminds me of HK four heavenly kings of entertainment.

But looks like Kido/Setiawan & Fu/Cai will take the top 2 spot for a while. KKK/TBH will be absent in quite a no of tourneys - Korea, Spore or Indonesia.
    Too bad Tony/Chandra arent playing in as many SS or OG, they can make the 4th Heavenly King - oldies version, ;).

4. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    I only know three of them which is Andy Lau,Arron Kwok and Jacky Cheung..Who is another one???Back to the topic,i rather Koo/Tan lost their No 1 ranking if this is the factor that create pressure on them.I don't mind what their ranking is as long as they can win the titles.

5. Darien

Darien Regular Member

IT
    quite a number of people saying TBH/KKK always lose to a lower rank pairs...currently they are world no.1, so they'll lose to EVERY pair now!!!
    hahaha....

6. Jessica

Jessica Regular Member

Student
    Darien..I though you predicted LCW will lost today...:D:D

7. eaglehelang

They need to maintain top 4 ranking to avoid meeting top players in early rounds. Prob with KKK/TBH currently, they lose to lower ranking pairs, not same level pairs. And pity TBH, get up in the morn already feel pressure. Hope he will overcome it.

No 4 is the late Leslie Cheung. He hasnt passed away that long, so I remember them always as 4 Heavenly Kings, maybe now is 3.

8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

damn happy 2day can see lee chong wei style of playing LIVE and see him wins the Mas Open ss2008!!!
    LEE CHONG WEI BOLEH!!!
    MALAYSIA BOLEH!!!

9. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    O.T , no. 4 is Leon Lai, not Leslie Cheung, they were not in the same generations. I've work some music engineering project with Leon's Producer on his album before ;)
    Back to topic, the world ranking jinx them (Koo/Tan) over and over again, proove that it doesn't matter which seeding they'll get in any tournys.
    As long as they can win the titles, seeding is nothing. We've witness there is one unseeded player each in all the 5 events' final of first SS of 2008.:eek:
    But, of course they must at least get enough Qualifying points for Olympics lah.:)

10. eaglehelang

george, the guy in white T-shirt, standing up and clap very wildly in 3rd set, is that you??

Samuel, sori, yes u is right. I remember 'L' but wrong 'L'

11. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    YOU Should...

Change ur nick to Mightymouse4ever:D:D

12. eaglehelang

Add that - mightymouse&mightypole4ever

Hendra S. still too skinny to be called pillar, so pole ("kayu" expression) is suitable but pole also strong, like the 2 Power Canon Balls (guess who) and Speedy Fierce One/Tall Lighting.

13. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Was right in my prediction of the 1st game !!!:D Somehow my 2nd game prediction should have been the 3rd.:D

Still LCW has a good start to the new year. I predict big things for him this year.

14. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Phew...what a long day!!!

Back at home after a long day of badminton in my friend's place (for viewers in HKG: now Cable is showing ALL the Super Series matches this year). The matches go into overtime, with 4 of them ending in rubber-sets and since the telecast was delayed by 1/2 an hr here (started at 2pm), they actually cut 2 sets!! Thankfully, the first set that was cut was the WD first game between Gao Ling/Zhao Tingting and Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen (ended 13-21 in Yang/Zhang's favour), while the second set cut was the MD second game between Markis Kido/Hendra Setiawan and Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen (ended 20-22 in Paaske/Rasmussen's favour).

Two matches could be considered forgettable since all of us wanted them to end quickly. First up was the XD Final between He Hanbin/Yu Yang and Lee Yong Dae/Lee Hyo Jung. The first-set was quite even until it was 14-14 and He Hanbin's turn to serve. It was from his serves that the Chinese pair won 7 straight points to take the first set 21-14! As usual, Lee Hyo Jung looked clumsy with her "now customary" netting errors and out returns. Lee Yong Dae was also not at his best and was pressured many times by He Hanbin's thunderous smashes!

He Hanbin was the form man today, with his brilliant serves, which won another 6 straight points when it was 9-7 in the second set. That basically killed the match and they won the second set and the match comfortably 21-15. So, the Chinese pair collected their 2nd Super Series titles and they have become increasingly matured and a worthy successor to Gao Ling/Zheng Bo, after Gao Ling retires.

The WD match was quite forgettable as me and my friends were chatting during that match. The only high point was the deuces at the end of the rubber-set and quite rightly, Yang Wei/Zhang Jiewen showed to Li Yongbo that they deserve to be sent to the Beijing Olympics, by winning yet another title here in KL! A fitting one too for the future Malaysian bride :D

15. d65up2

d65up2 Regular Member

Student
    Kido-hendra Champion!!!!!! Thats All I Wanna Say!!! Juara Juara

16. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Ok, lets focus on the next tournament

The MO is done and dusted. LCW won. Lets get over this and not do the usual Malaysia Boleh over the hill celebrations.

17. badMania

badMania Regular Member

One of the most intriguing match was the Women's Singles Final between Zhu Lin and Tine Rasmussen. Both players were making so many errors throughout the entire match and the lead kept changing hands from the first set onwards. However, Tine caught our eyes with her ever so accurate cross-court shots, which caught Zhu Lin off-guard countless times and won the Danes so many points in this match! The first-set was level at 17-17, before some unforced errors by Tine yielded the set 18-21 to Zhu Lin's advantage.

The second set was also a ding-dong affair as Tine was first 3-0 up, before Zhu Lin regained the lead at 6-4. Tine levelled the score, and allowed the Chinese to forge another lead at 10-7 and then 12-10. The Danes showed her resilience and won a few crucial points to lead at 16-13. This time, it was Zhu Lin's turn to level it at 16-16 and nearly won it when she lead 19-16. It was not to be for the World Champions as Tine gradually found her composure yet again and levelled the score at 19-19 and won the final 2 points of the set to force a rubber set! What a breathtaking second set!

The third set was now going the Danes way as she was impressive from the start and was quickly leading 9-2 and 11-5 at the interval. Yet agian, Zhu Lin came back into the match and nearly levelled it at 16-17. This was before Tine injured her ankles and required some medical attention when the score was 14-12 to her advantage. Some bad judgements by Zhu Lin allowed the Danes some easy points and eventually, Tine Rasmussen won the rubber-set 21-18.

Once again, the Danish girl has broken 4 China-born opponents en-route to her 2nd Super Series titles, this time by beating Xu Huaiwen, Lu Lan, Pi Hongyan, and Zhu Lin. She will pose a big threat for the Olympics 2008. Li Yongbo must be furious with this result, especially after he claimed that the winter training camp at Zhuhai was a success :eek:

18. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    I think Zhang Jiewen was under pressure a bit, since her boyfriend was concentrating on that match. :D

But then she's not a World and Olympic champion for nothing ..... Besides, Putra Stadium is a good hunting ground for Yang Wei and her. You should have seen them in the World Championships last year, trailing so far, yet winning the semifinals and final against their teammates.

19. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei BOLEH!!!!

The home crowds had been waiting patiently for their hero to make his entrance in today's Finals. So, it was no surprise that the decibel level was at the highest level during Lee Chong Wei's match with Lee Hyun Il, who's making a comeback to qualify for the Beijing Olympics. IMHO, even though this match was still an interesting one to watch on its own, it still could not quite match the previous match.

Lee Chong Wei started the first set brilliantly and he wasted no time in building up a healthy lead. Lee Hyun Il was also making more errors and the home favorite won the first set quite comfortably at 21-15.

However, Lee Hyun Il clearly made the difference in the second set as he was quickly ahead 7-2 and then 11-5 at the interval. The Malaysian had no answers to the Korean's numerous accurate smashes and impressive netplays during this period. The 6 points gap was widened after the break and the Korean sealed this set easily 21-11. The stadium was quiet at this time.

Lee Chong Wei returned back from the towel break with a new shirt and a new purpose as he began the rubber-set brilliantly, leading 4-0. The lead extended to 14-6 at one stage, with the Korean player making many unforced errors from long rallies that Lee Chong Wei seemed contented to be playing at this stage. As the match wore on, the Korean player regained some confidence and narrowed the gap to 17-19. However, it was too late for him and Lee Chong Wei would never let the match slip away from him as the Malaysian player won the last 2 points of the match to take it home 21-17.

So, Lee Chong Wei has won his 4th Malaysian Open titles....what an achievement by him!

20. badMania

badMania Regular Member

I noticed that the veteran pair lacked the killing edge :rolleyes: There were so many times they were unable to kill the bird, when the scores were pretty tight at the end of the rubber-set. Luckily, they still won it ;)