LWW/CTF : So close yet so near

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2007 / Indonesia Open 2007' started by YelSttr, May 6, 2007.

1. bariq

bariq Regular Member

come on guys, full credit to the malaysians who played extremely well. But sometimes its the mental toughness that counts and the chinese pair had it than any other team on the tour. Even Tony/chandra had the chance to finish off but............

moral of story is play for each point and dont start to dream early of winning :)

2. johnwoo92

johnwoo92 New Member

At the very begining of the game I was very impressed with their game. They defended very well and manage to push Cai/Fu all around. They also mix their smash with drop. It was a good strategy against their opponent who are much younger and stronger. However when came to crucial points in the 2 & 3 game, they just throw it away. I am not at all disappointed with LWW/CTF coz too familiar with this situation. Same thing happen All-England final, Singapore Open semifinal few years back where they throw it away after leading big margine. They could not concentrate at the end. From their gestures and face expression they seem nervous and too eager to finish the game. When the made consecutive errors, they don't think of ways to stop making the same mistake. They too stop discussion with their partners and just pray things will get over naturally........

3. Darien

Darien Regular Member

IT
    i was really disturbed by LWW's gesture during the final game. asking myself why a professional player like him can do such a thing. this is really ashame to the world of badminton.

my friend once saw LWW in a restaurant in KL, in person. he told me that guy was really, really cocky by seeing his gestures. he himself outside of the court having attitude problems. how can he handle inside the court?

4. YelSttr

YelSttr Regular Member

Agree with your on LWW. Despite his talents, he will never be one of the greats as his major shortcoming is himself actually. LWW is never a humble person by nature. He is cocky and arrogant and yes, my friends who came across him told me so too.

Yesterday, he had Cai/Fu at match point not once but twice and still blew it. He was smilling when they were at matchpoint in the 2nd game. Despite his experience he should have known better.

Sad to see despite playing so well, we still bottled in the end.

5. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Well, I need to disagree with you that he should not be cocky during the match. When you are cocky, it boosts your own confidence. They weren't arrogant at all coz arrogance is when you do things like not shaking your opponents hands.

I am pretty sure the smiling was all gamesmanship. And I think gamesmanship is everywhere in sports, for the price of losing is too high. Like is it bad for KKK to do the little jig that he did when he won a point in the ALL-England ? Do we all need to be a Bjorn Borg or a Raikkonen, with hardly a sign to show their feelings ?

6. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Hv no problem with all those smilling and jigs. U can shout hard and punch yr fist to celebrate with yr partner after earning each point, but not doing that facing yr opponent, thats pure provoking. :cool:

7. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Provocation is all part of life, the degree of acceptance is up to the individual. And if you think I am wrong, take a look at our politicians.

8. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

during the 1st set, i already had a feeling that CTF/LWW will lose. CTF/LWW were smashing like mad and CY/FHF keep lifting the shuttle. perhaps it was a strategy for China. therefore, in the 3rd set, when LWW/CTF reached 18points, they lost the power and keep sending shuttle to net or making unforced error. the veterans were too tired in the 3rd set. in the end, CY/FHF catched up and won the match. LWW/CTF had a big big big lead but lost in the end. too bad..

9. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Hey wait, u sounds like our dear Yellowstring. Now only i notice that both of u r the same person, wat happened to yr previous username? :D

10. YelSttr

YelSttr Regular Member

Bro,

Bjorn Borg, in a 9 year career won 11 Grand Slams, of which 5 were Wimbledon. if I am not wrong, he won Wimbledon 3 times in a row. While Kimi Raikkonen is a world class F1 driver. They are all business-like when they are performing.

I have no problems with gamesmanship but when it borders on cockiness and underestimation of your opponents, then I see it as a problem. On yesterday's MD final, LWW's "gamesmanship" backfired. His smiles, hand gestures further motivated the chinese pair in their fight back. At the end of the day, Cai/Fu had the last laugh while LWW/CTF had to again eat humble pie.

In summary, you need to have everything i.e. skills, mental strength, temperament, determination, confidence and fighting spirit. It is called substance.

11. YelSttr

YelSttr Regular Member

Agree! And when you opponents are a world class pair in Cai/Fu, all those provocations are kids stuff to them. It wont cause them to lose focus. It will only motivate them to fight harder only!

At the end of the day, humble pie was shoved down LWW/CTF's throats.

12. YelSttr

YelSttr Regular Member

What are you talking about?
    You sure like to make assumptions , dont you? :rolleyes:

13. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Am i wrong? But u 2 sounds so familliar.... anyway sorry if ive mistaken, just ignore my previous post :p

14. YelSttr

YelSttr Regular Member

No prob, bro. I guess great men think alike ;)
    Peace.

15. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Lol, great man... no comment on that :D

16. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Being cocky does not mean they will underestimate their opponents. On the contrary, it could mean they want to want to stem out their own fear of their opponents. Do you know in psychology that they teach one to be cocky to gain confidence ? In a game of everything, surely you do not expect them to respect the opposition either.

They were in a battle and that means they count on all their instincts to win, including gestures (within reasons, and the referee would be the judge, and in this case, he found no wrong with them). Let me say CAI-FU were doing no less, coz they gave LWW-CTF the 'stares' many times. They purposely delay getting ready --- there is nothing wrong with that kind of gamesmanship. And I could not believe when you said that LWW's smiles motivated CAI-FU to win, is it possible ?

You are basically linking their loss to their cockiness and I don't think that was the case. It was clear to me they lost because they lost their nerves when the other side started playing strong as they were showing signs of tiredness.

17. YelSttr

YelSttr Regular Member

Dude,

If you dont respect your opponents, you have already lost mentally. That is one of the basics i.e. respect your opponents, not matter who they are. As for cockiness, if you dont know how to control it, you become over confident. And you dont need to be a psychology expert to know that.

How can you say LWW/CTF lost because they lost their nerves!!?? In the 2nd set, they had two match point la. While in the rubber, they were once even leading with a 7/8 point gap la :confused: :confused: . If you talk about nerves, Cai/Fu were infact under more pressure la.

They lost because they lost their head and concentration. They got over confident in the 2nd set during match point, and in the 3rd set when they were 8 points or so up, they took their foot off the pedal again.

18. YelSttr

YelSttr Regular Member

Must have some joke la. When we debate, we debate la. but we also need to have some light banter too or else life will be too uptight.

19. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Hey BRO,

They lost their head = they lost their nerves. To me, it means the same. Maybe I should have said giving TOO MUCH RESPECT, ok ?

As for cockiness control, I have never heard of such a thing -- if you want to be cocky, you be cocky and if you don't want to, you don't have too....there are no shades of cockiness ! I think you are arguing for the sake of arguing.:D

20. JaCk™

JaCk™ Regular Member

in the recent Singapore Open, LWW/CTF showed that we can still rely on them for the coming World Championship. they need to improve their stamina if they want to match the younger pairs. they have powerful smashes but cannot maintain the quick pace in rubber set. i have faith in them. we can't rely on KKK/TBH all the time.