Loh Kean Yew / 骆建佑

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    COACH’S BATTLE CRY

READ ALSO

A 10-year dream: Former teammate, coach recount Loh Kean Yew’s determination to become world’s best

Before the match, Mr Ho told Loh the same thing that he would tell him before every match, and even during training.

"Every time, I tell him that when you go into a match, you must have the ‘chiong’ attitude, but when you ‘chiong’, you need to be calm and understand why you are executing this shot, and (remember) the purpose of the game plan."

[​IMG]Raj Nadarajan/TODAY
    Singapore’s badminton world champion Loh Kean Yew with his coach Kelvin Ho at Changi Airport on Dec 21, 2021.

When Loh won, Mr Ho was naturally overjoyed as well.

"I clapped my hands, but I could not run to him," he said with a chuckle, explaining that coaches were not allowed to run on the court during a match.

"At that moment, I could only feel happy and proud of him... he did it and he should get the credit."

Loh's world ranking has now risen to 15 from 22.

READ ALSO
    Malaysia's badminton great Rashid Sidek says country needs to learn from Loh Kean Yew's success with Singapore

SOCIAL MEDIA BLACKOUT

Another decision that Loh made to help him focus during the tournament was to go off social media and completely turn off his phone's notifications.

Mr Ho said that Loh's decision to have a social media blackout during the world championships was influenced by what happened at a previous tournament.

At the French Open in October, Loh defeated Malaysia's higher-ranked Lee Zii Jia and as a result, there were many people congratulating him on social media. This happened in the middle of the tournament and Loh was reading the messages.

Then, he lost the next match to India's Lakshya Sen and Mr Ho said that this was partly due to the unnecessary pressure from the social media buzz.

"(The messages) will build up some pressure, and against Lakshya Sen, he was pressured."

READ ALSO
    'He had that spark': Mentor, badminton association on what made Loh Kean Yew a world champ

From then on, Loh kept away from social media and kept his focus on his opponents.

"He learned his lesson well and very quickly. In the next tournament, he immediately applied it," Mr Ho said.

BETTER TRAINING PARTNERS KEY TO SUCCESS

Loh's ascension was not one that was accidental, but a result of several choices he made over the course of the past year.

It had not always been smooth-sailing, with him suffering a knee injury "last year or two years ago", which derailed some of his progress.

"He wasn't very decisive in his game plan, as he was scared of injury," Mr Ho recalled.

READ ALSO
    Loh Kean Yew becomes first Singaporean to win World Championship men's singles title

It was during this year that Loh made big improvements to his game by competing in more tournaments and going up against stronger opponents, as well as training with the top players in the world.

For instance, he learned from one such tournament that he "cannot be so passive" in his game and needed to play at a higher intensity in order to overcome his opponents.

He also trained with higher-ranked players such as top-ranked Viktor Axelsen from Denmark for about a month after the Tokyo Olympics in the middle of this year.

Due to his training with the world's best, aspects of his game such as his shot quality, decision making and consistency of his game improved.

I think we still need to work on his skills and there is room for improvement, (in areas such as) court coverage."
    Mr Kelvin Ho, coach of Singapore national badminton player Loh Kean Yew"

Outside of the court, Loh also stepped up his physical training in the gym, improving his fitness by doing high-intensity workouts such as sprints and upper-body exercises with battle ropes.

Even though the year had gone well for Loh, Mr Ho said that the player had moments when he was down, such as when there was a change in coaching staff members or if he got injured, but he would still emerge from the doldrums.

"He never wanted to give up badminton once, never. He had his down moments and doubts in his ability, but he will work on them and he doesn't give up."

PLANS AHEAD

In the medium term, Mr Ho hopes to work with Loh to improve his ranking such that he is at least top 10 in the world within the next one to two years.

The long-term goal will now be to perform well at the 2024 Olympics in Paris.

Mr Ho believes that Loh has not yet peaked as an athlete.

"I think we still need to work on his skills and there is room for improvement, (in areas such as) court coverage."

He is confident that Loh could even be a top-ranking player in the world in future if he continues to improve.

"The road ahead will be even more difficult, so we need to be more prepared for it — and continue to work hard."

'WE ARE LIKE BROTHERS'

Outside the courts, Loh and his coach have a close relationship that is built on trust.

After returning to Singapore on Tuesday, Loh told the media that without Mr Ho, he "wouldn’t have won this medal for sure".

"It takes two hands to clap," Mr Ho said. "I trust him and he trusts me and our communication is good.

"During training, I will nag at him if his shot quality is no good, so when it comes to games, I don't need to repeat myself. He just looks at me and admits his shot quality is no good and I will just nod my head, and (tell him) to continue with his game plan."

Mr Ho said that Loh is by nature “very bubbly”, a very happy person.

"We are like brothers, we are very frank with each other. He is someone who speaks his mind.

"But when he steps on the court, he's a very different person."

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    IN FOCUS: From determined teen to badminton world champion - Loh Kean Yew's journey to the top

While Loh Kean Yew's victory in badminton's World Championships took some people by surprise, those close to him say his talent and determination have always shone through. CNA spoke to his family and coaches about his path to sporting glory.

[​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew as a Singapore Sports School Student and with his World Championships gold. (Photos: Singapore Sports School/AFP)

[​IMG]
    Matthew Mohan
    @MatthewMohanCNA
    26 Dec 2021 06:00AM(Updated: 26 Dec 2021 06:00AM)

SINGAPORE: While his exhausted peers were stretching after a long, hard training session, a shy, skinny, sweaty teenager wasn’t done just yet.

Instead, Loh Kean Yew would cajole a teammate or two back on to the badminton court as he ironed out aspects of his game.

Whatever his coach had pointed out previously, he would work on. Rest could wait, improvement could not.

“From time to time he would ask the coaches for feedback. But that’s not the most impressive thing. The most impressive thing is something that a lot of people wouldn’t do. It was that he would then take action,” recalled Singapore Sports School badminton academy general manager Desmond Tan.

“He would call a friend along and say: ‘Hey, help me. After that I will also help you.’ After every training session, he will do it. That’s where you could see that the desire to want to improve was there," he said.

“When he makes the extra effort, he knows what he is doing through the extra effort.”

It is this spirit of dedication and determination that those who know Kean Yew, Singapore's newly-crowned world champion, say sets him apart from others.

“Talent is not enough. You have to go the distance,” said Tan. “He has the talent, but the difference between him and others is the commitment he has.”

‘HE HAD IT VERY TOUGH’

At the age of 13, Kean Yew moved away from his family in Malaysia and took up a scholarship from the Singapore Sports School.

"The first two weeks were very fun because there were no parents," he told CNA in 2019. "But I missed home - I cried by myself for a few nights before calling my mum and crying some more.

"But after that night where I let my emotions out, I stopped crying and calling - until my mum had to call me!"

Related:
    [​IMG]
    From 'cheeky' child to world champion: Loh Kean Yew's parents proud of their youngest son's meteoric rise

Part of Tan’s role was to help foreign students at the academy assimilate and he was aware of Kean Yew’s struggles through the transition.

“He didn’t have any friends (at first), he was lonely and didn’t know a single person in the school and the rigour of the education system would get to him,” explained Tan. “He had it very tough.”

“Singapore’s culture and environment is different from Malaysia’s so we needed to adapt,” added older brother Kean Hean, who secured a scholarship at Montfort Secondary School and arrived before Kean Yew.

But Kean Yew would eventually settle down and make friends, said Tan, as his easy going personality meant that he would get along well with teammates, who were also student athletes.

“All of them (at the academy) had a common goal, which was to chase their sporting dreams,” said Tan. “That bonded all of them together because they were all chasing for the same thing.”

And in particular, there was one thing that always seemed to bring a smile to Kean Yew’s face - playing badminton.

“When he first came (to Singapore Sports School), his happiest times would be at the badminton hall, because that was something that he was most comfortable with … Every time he holds the racquet, he is always happy,” said Tan.

[​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew during his time at Singapore Sports School. (Photo: Singapore Sports School)

“It was very obvious. And after a while when he settled down, you could always see his desire to improve.”

And even in his teenage years, Kean Yew always relished a challenge, noted Tan.

In the spirit of friendly competition, there were always those who wanted to take him on and Kean Yew always was up for it.

“The older boys would want to play with him … they would always be challenging him like (short games of) five points, seven points,” said Tan. “He knew that he would lose for sure, but he took it in his stride … He just took it as a challenge.”

And very early on, it was clear to Kean Hean that his brother had the skills needed to play at the highest level.

[​IMG]
    Kean Hean (right) and Kean Yew pose for a picture. (Photo: Loh Kean Hean)

“He has the quality, not just physically but in terms of skill … He is different from me. He knows what he wants and he is more disciplined in his attitude and his lifestyle,” he explained.

“For him to be mature in an environment where our parents were not with us most of the time was not easy. It requires a lot of mature thinking and decision making.”

Kean Yew always had his own way of thinking, said Kean Hean, who is also a national badminton player for Singapore, with several SEA Games medals to his name.

“He’s different from three of his brothers (in that aspect) … Let’s say we stay up to midnight to watch soccer, (but) he would just go and sleep. But that’s a very crucial decision that not many people can make because it requires a lot of determination and self-discipline. He knows what he wants,” Kean Hean added.

#62 Loh, Dec 27, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    After completing his studies at Singapore Sports School, Kean Yew went on to further his education at Republic Polytechnic. But it was then he decided that he would need to quit school to focus on badminton full-time.

"Initially, we were shocked that he came to this decision, but after he explained to us (we understood) that he was mature enough and believed and trusted that he could do it," Kean Yew’s mother Mdm Grace Gan told CNA in an interview this week.

"He was such a good boy who was disciplined and knew what he wanted to do, so we just trusted him and supported him all the way.”

[​IMG]
    Men's singles coach Kelvin Ho (left) and Loh Kean Yew pose with the World Championships gold medal. (Photo: Kelvin Ho)

National singles coach Kelvin Ho first met Kean Yew when he was a national youth coach about ten years ago. Then, the youngster was still a Singapore Sports School student but training with the national youth team.

“His training attitude was marvelous … he was quite special,” recalled Ho. “The hunger to win (was there).”

And while many youngsters shared the competitive fervour, Kean Yew pushed harder.

“Others wanted to win but he wanted to win even more. He would dare to challenge the seniors and would ask the seniors for sparring while some of the other kids might have seen seniors and been scared.”

Having been a part of Kean Yew’s journey for almost ten years, Ho has had a front-row seat to witness his growth as a player.

“He has become more stable … in his thinking. And when you are clearer on the court, you become better,” he added.

This change was observable after Kean Yew clinched a bronze medal in his debut 2015 SEA Games.

“He played the senior players there while he was still quite young. You could see that … he was daring to challenge them and execute his game well," Ho explained.

"He wouldn’t be scared by the situation, in fact he would challenge it.”

And his gung-ho spirit was clearly clear when he trained, said Ho.

"For example, (for a drill involving) 20 shuttlecocks, others might be tired after 14 and slow down. But the more tired he is, he would push."

‘HE HAS THE WEAPONS’

For Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) technical director Martin Andrew, there has been no question that Kean Yew has the ability to play with the world’s best.

This was showcased at this year’s Tokyo Olympics where the Singaporean stretched then world number 7 Jonatan Christie, he said.Kean Yew, who was then 42nd in the world, went down 20-22, 21-13, 18-21 in a closely fought match.

“There were parts ...of that match which were absolutely high level from Kean Yew. So the challenge was how we could get that on a more consistent basis,” Andrew explained.

With a training stint with world number one Victor Axelsen under his belt, time spent competing in various competitions, and guidance from SBA coaches, Kean Yew began to sustain consistent performances in matches after the Olympics.

Next up, he needed to be consistent - not just in one tournament, but across many competitions.

This was displayed in his win at the Hylo Open in October, a top 16 finish in the Indonesia Masters in November, and a second-place spot at the Indonesia Open in the same month.

Going into the World Championships, the pressure was off for Kean Yew, his brother said.

“I had the expectation of him going on (an early holiday) instead of being champion. After all, it was still Viktor and his standard is there,” said Kean Hean, with a laugh.

However, he knew that Kean Yew had a chance and would give it his all.

“(But while) we didn’t know if he (Kean Yew) was going to win or lose, we knew he was going to put up a good fight.”

And his brother upset the odds and the Olympic champion.

[​IMG]
    Singapore's Loh Kean Yew poses for a photograph with Denmark's Viktor Axelsen. (Photo: Loh Kean Yew)

After wins against Austria's Luka Wraber, Thailand's Kantaphon Wangcharoen and India's HS Prannoy, Kean Yew beat world number three Anders Antonsen to book his spot in the men's singles final and seal his place in the history books.

Then came the thrilling triumph in the final where he overcame the experienced veteran Srikanth Kidambi.

“The two benchmark players for men’s singles … are Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei. If you look at Kean Yew, he’s got a lot of the strengths of both put in together,” said Martin Andrew.

He also pointed out that Kean Yew’s confidence has soared since the Olympics.

“He’s walking onto the court with a real belief that he can play badminton at a high level … He believes that he can challenge anybody else.”

#63 Loh, Dec 27, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    However, Kean Yew is far from the finished product, Andrew emphasised.

“He’s still got some development to do. (But) I personally have him in my mind, right up there with the very best in the world at the present time,” said the SBA technical director.

“He has the weapons, and he has the development within him still to absolutely make a massive impact on the game.”

Related:

[​IMG]

Badminton: Singapore's next generation of shuttlers tipped to be 'world class'

Ho's belief in Kean Yew is evident. Along with coach Mulyo Handoyo, Ho is an integral part of Kean Yew's coaching set-up.

In a 2019 interview with CNA, Ho noted that Kean Yew along with Singapore's top women's singles player Yeo Jia Min had the potential to be "world class".

"In terms of his ability, his fighting spirit, his never-give-up attitude, you can see that he can match the top players," Ho explained.

BRINGING OTHERS ON THE JOURNEY

While the journey to the top is lonely, Kean Yew is and has always been a team player, said Tan.

“He really brought positive energy to people when he was at the academy," he explained. “He not only wants to win but to bring people along in the journey with him and to show this is what it takes.”

This was no better exemplified through a text message which Kean Yew sent to Tan the night before the victory over Chinese badminton legend Lin Dan that first catapulted his name into Singapore's collective consciousness.

Before that 2019 Thailand Open final match, Kean Yew wanted to encourage those in the SBA’s National Intermediate Squad.

[​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew (left) and Lin Dan (right) in the Thailand Masters final (Photo: Edwin Leung)
    He wanted them to dream bigger.

“Set a goal, big enough for people to laugh at. They laugh because it’s impossible for them. They’re the weakling, not you. Work hard towards it,” he said.

“I really must add that the key word is discipline. It is a word that should be applied in everything you do, be it training, studies, time management etc.

“Discipline is not something that should be reflected only in badminton. Discipline should be applied in every aspect of your life. This truly reflects the character of a true champion.”

Fast forward two years, and Kean Yew has followed his own advice and has become just that.

A true champion.

Source: CNA/mt

hyun007 likes this.
  5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    5 businesspeople in S'pore raise S$50,000 for Loh Kean Yew after learning he won S$0 from being world champion
    Public can also give him some money if you want.

Belmont Lay | [​IMG] December 27, 2021, 06:22 PM
    [​IMG]

This was after one businessman found out that the 24-year-old, who became the first Singaporean to win the Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Championships on Dec. 19, did not receive any prize money for his win.

Loh won an individual championship title.

He was conferred the title of world champion and awarded a gold medal.

The five businesspeople are:

- Ang Kiam Meng, executive director and group chief executive officer (CEO) of Jumbo Group

- Daryl Neo, co-founder and CEO of DC Frontiers

- Dora Hoan, group CEO and co-chairman of Best World International

- Eugene Ang, managing director of JK Technology

- Wei Chan, managing director of Pine Garden's Cake

Led by one businessman

Chan of Pine Garden's Cake, who loves badminton, set up the fund to encourage the national shuttler to attain his sporting aspirations.

The businessman then reached out to his fellow businesspeople to collectively raise S$50,000.

Chan told BT: "Loh Kean Yew's win shows what we, as a little red dot, can achieve in the global badminton sporting arena."

Those who wish to contribute to the kitty can contact Chan at weichan@pgcake.com.

Background

Loh beat India's Srikanth Kidambi 21-15, 22-20 in the men's singles final of the BWF World Championships in Huelva, Spain.

The Singaporean was ranked 22nd, while his opponent was ranked 14th in the world.

Loh has since climbed to number 15 after the tournament, a career-high world ranking position.

All photos via Loh Kean Yew Instagram

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Visual story: How Loh Kean Yew conquered the world
    [​IMG]
    Singapore's badminton ace relives his improbable Badminton World Championships journey.

READ MORE HERE

intrepid likes this.
  7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore’s champion shuttler back to batting after ‘whirlwind’ of fame
    Coconuts Singapore 3 hrs ago

upload_2022-1-7_14-29-48.png
    It’s time for Singapore’s newly minted badminton champion to get back on the training to compete in a new season.

[​IMG]Loh Kean Yew competing at the French Open last year. Photo: @badmintonphoto_official/Instagram

Loh Kean Yew, 24, last night said that he is back to training in Dubai and will start his season Tuesday at the India Open tournament, posting a video showing off his footwork. He also made an award-winning-like thank you speech to those who supported him after he gained popularity for his championship win last month.

“I am really grateful to everyone who came forward with your support and encouragement. Your gestures and generosity mean a lot to me. It is challenging to maintain consistency at this level, but knowing that I have the support back home gives me extra motivation to remain focused and to put in my best efforts,” he wrote.

“Once again, thank you very much from the bottom of my heart. ”

Loh has reunited and will train with Olympic champion Viktor Axelsen, who is widely credited for his victory.

After bringing home Singapore’s first championship title at the BWF World Championships in Huelva, Spain, last month, Loh spent 11 days in Singapore reveling in the spotlight.

Since Sunday, the public has crowdfunded close to S$150,000 (US$110,000) to reward him after finding out that Loh did not pocket any prize money. The Badminton World Federation World Championships did not offer any financial incentives and he was not eligible for any government cash rewards as they only apply to the SEA, Asian, Commonwealth and Olympic Games.

The Straits Times reported Wednesday that the Singapore Badminton Association is in the midst of negotiating a multi-year, six-figure deal for Loh.

Loh will play against Canada’s Sheng Xiaodong, who ranks 69th in the world, at the India Open in New Delhi.

Simeon likes this.
  8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Loh Kean Yew trains in Dubai, next challenge is India Open on Jan 11 - The Independent Singapore News

January 8, 2022
    By Anna Maria Romero

Singapore—Newly-minted World Badminton champion Loh Kean Yew trains in Dubai to prepare for the new season beginning with the India Open on Tuesday (Jan 11).

After his incredible giant-killing efforts in Huelva, Spain, ended in victory on Dec 19 he spent only 11 days at home before his training began anew.

Singapore sports’ latest superhero uploaded a video of his training to Facebook and Instagram on Thursday (Jan 6) and expressed his gratitude for the support he’s been showered with.

“I AM REALLY GRATEFUL TO EVERYONE WHO CAME FORWARD WITH YOUR SUPPORT AND ENCOURAGEMENT. YOUR GESTURES AND GENEROSITY MEANS A LOT TO ME.”

In his message, he does try to dampen the nation’s heightened expectations by adding: “It is challenging to maintain consistency at this level.” Still, he underlines that the support he’s received has made all the difference.

“Knowing that I have the support back home gives me extra motivation to remain focused and to put in my best efforts,” he added.
    “Once again, thank you very much from the bottom of my heart.”

On social media, fans and friends offered warm words of encouragement to Loh. Among them was fellow badminton player Ygor Coelho de Oliveira of Brazil who was Pan Am champion 2017/2018, South American Games champion in 2018 and Pan Am games champion in 2019. He is currently ranked 32nd in the world.

[​IMG]

According to the World Tour website, Loh faces off against Canada’s Xiaodong Sheng in the first round. The site lists the Singaporean champ as ranked 10th in the world, while Xiaodong is ranked at number 54.

Recently, on learning that the season-ending world badminton tournament that Loh won did not come with any prize money or, even more surprisingly, a financial award from the state, fans started raising money to reward Loh.

[​IMG]
    Photo: FB screengrab/ lohkeanyew

Wei Chan, an avid badminton player since he was 10, and a member of the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) management committee, created the Loh Kean Yew Encouragement Fund, and put up a crowdfunding effort on the Ray of Hope platform on Jan 2, 2022.

So far, S$152,859 has been raised from 647 contributors. .

“Having gone through rigorous training of sorts, I know the amount of sheer hardwork, perseverance, tenacity and grit that is required for Loh Kean Yew to achieve what he did, love for the game aside,” wrote Mr Wei.

“I felt compelled to do something to thank him for what he has achieved for himself and Singapore, and further encourage him towards his badminton hope and dreams.”

A Jan 5 report in The Straits Times says that Loh could be in for a “windfall of about $1 million in sponsorship and contributions” after winning the world championship.

ST added it understands that “a multimillion, six-figure deal” between SBA and Loh is in the works. /TISG

Read also: Public raises over S$85,000 for Loh Kean Yew after he won S$0 for badminton world championship

Simeon likes this.
  9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    World champion Loh Kean Yew keen on starting New Year on winning note

Before going to Spain, Loh had trained in Dubai with Tokyo Olympics champion Viktor Axelsen and Sen and said the young Indian is an extremely talented player.
    World champion Loh Kean Yew keen on starting New Year on winning note | Sports News,The Indian Express

By: PTI |
    January 10, 2022 8:47:25 pm

[​IMG]Singapore’s Loh Kean Yew, the reigning men’s singles champion, at IG Stadium in Delhi.(Express Photo0

Reigning men’s singles world champion Loh Kean Yew hasn’t got enough time to train after his triumph in Spain but wants to start the New Year by putting his best foot forward in the India Open badminton. The tournament is starting here on Tuesday.

The 24-year-old from Singapore, seeded fifth at the India Open, defeated Kidambi Srikanth in the World Championships final and the Indian is expected to be his biggest challenger at the KD Jadhav Indoor Hall along with bronze medallist Lakshya Sen, who is playing in this tournament for the first time.

In Premium |Ravi Shastri: ‘The last thing a coach wants is, he says something and player sulks like a cry-baby’
    “There are a lot of good players here and it is not going to be an easy competition for sure. Everyone is coming here to do well… same for me too. I also want to do well and I also want to win this tournament,” said Loh, who will open his campaign against Canada’s Xiaodong Sheng on Tuesday.

Before going to Spain, Loh had trained in Dubai with Tokyo Olympics champion Viktor Axelsen and Sen and said the young Indian is an extremely talented player.

“He is a very good friend of mine and I actually have a very good relationship and I am happy to see him do well in his first world championship,” Loh added.

READ |Sanitised tournament hotel only for top shuttlers as Delhi braces for India Open

Singapore’s first world champion in badminton, Loh is aware that he would be the player to beat this year after the stupendous run in the World Championship but pointed out that it won’t be easy to maintain the same form in every tournament.

“I ended the year on a high so it was a good year… Nobody will always win. The pressure is always there. I just hope that I can play the best and I can perform,” he added.

Manu Atri-Sumeeth Reddy withdraw from doubles

Meanwhile, the experienced Indian men’s doubles combination of B Sumeeth Reddy and Manu Atri along with men’s singles fourth seed Kantaphon Wangcharoen of Thailand have withdrawn from the competition.

However, Sumeeth will be in action in mixed doubles alongside Ashwini Ponnappa with the pair taking on second seeds Rodion Alimov and Alina Davletova in the opening round.

Among women’s players, eighth seed Fitriani Fitriani and women’s doubles top seeds Jongkolphan Kititharakul and Rawinda Projongjai of Thailand have also pulled out.

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: S'pore's Loh Kean Yew, Yeo Jia Min kick off 2022 with India Open wins
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew and Yeo Jia Min were praised by national singles coach Kelvin Ho for their ability to step up and "play at a higher intensity". PHOTOS: BADMINTONPHOTO
    [​IMG]

David Lee

PUBLISHED
    JAN 11, 2022, 9:29 PM SGT

SINGAPORE - Fielding requests for selfies with local players at the India Open, Singapore's badminton world champion Loh Kean Yew knows he will not only be the centre of attention at future tournaments, but he will also have a target on his back.

But the 24-year-old Singaporean has at least cleared the first hurdle of 2022, when he beat Canada's world No. 69 Sheng Xiaodong 16-21, 21-4, 21-13 in the first round of the India Open on Tuesday (Jan 11).

The US$400,000 (S$541,000) competition is a Super 500 event, which is on the fourth tier of the Badminton World Federation World Tour circuit.

World No. 15 Loh will play Malaysia's 70th-ranked Soong Joo Ven on Thursday for a place in the quarter-finals.

While he has set his sights on winning the tournament, he told The Straits Times: "Nobody can peak and win all the time. It's a new year and a new beginning for me. I hope to forget about the world champs and start from zero again."

After winning the world title in Huelva, Spain, on Dec 19, Loh returned to Singapore for 11 days before heading to Dubai to train with world No. 1 and Olympic champion Viktor Axelsen.

While he seems to have recovered from the ankle injury sustained in Spain, Loh did show some ringrust with numerous unforced errors in the first game. However, he upped his pace and variation later on to take apart his opponent's game in 50 minutes and progress to the round of 16.

Soong, 26, told The Star he is looking forward to his first encounter with a world champion, and said: "What Kean Yew achieved at the World Championships is very inspiring. I think he proved to everyone that anything's possible when you believe in yourself."

In the women's singles, Singapore's world No. 17 Yeo Jia Min made light work of 105th-ranked American Disha Gupta 21-7, 21-10 in 23 minutes.

The 22-year-old will take on India's world No. 159 Anupama Upadhyaya on Thursday for a place in the last eight.

National singles coach Kelvin Ho praised Loh and Yeo's ability to step up and "play at a higher intensity" when required to kill off their lower-ranked opponents.

Third seed Yeo added: "After the World Championships, I had a one-week break and resumed training a week before coming to India. I feel excited to compete again and it's a good start for the first match and I am getting used to the wind conditions.

"I hope to win as many matches as I can here."

The Republic's men's doubles pair of Terry Hee and Loh Kean Hean will open their campaign on Wednesday against Krishna Prasad Garaga and Vishnuvardhan Goud Panjala, while the mixed doubles combination of Tan Wei Han and Hee will meet another home duo T. Hema Nagendra Babu and Srivedya Gurazada.

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    India Open 2022: New world champion’s India challenge
    With Kean Yew in backyard, K Srikanth has a chance to take revenge
    India Open 2022: New world champion’s India challenge | Sports News,The Indian Express

Written by Shivani Naik |
    Updated: January 11, 2022 6:30:41 pm

[​IMG]Kidambi Srikanth and Singapore's Loh Kean Yew. (File)
    India Open 2022: Loh Kean Yew received a ‘water salute’ when the men’s singles World Champion’s plane bringing him back from Spain, taxied between two high-powered water tank hoses – the gush forming a welcoming arch for the returning winner at the Changi airport.

Singapore was honouring its first ever badminton world-beater, a rare phenom in a country that loves the sport. After applauding the behemoths from China, Malaysia and Indonesia for years, this was their moment to celebrate by putting up a spectacle.

Later, half a dozen business heads from ‘the little red dot’ city-state set up a trust fund for S$50,000 (INR 27 lakh 30 thousand), after they realised the World Championship carried no cash rewards, to support Kean Yew’s future ambitions. “It’s just a new beginning for me because I’ve been the underdog, but now I’m gonna be one of those that people want to beat….like very badly,” Kean Yew would say at the airport reception.

Delhi’s KD Jadhav hall at the IG Stadium will give the freshly minted World Champion his first taste of those men, waiting to beat him – like, very badly at the Super 500 India Open.

With his goofy grin and easy charm, Kean Yew doesn’t exactly elicit fierce appraisals of a formidable opponent, reserved for those like Kento Momota or Viktor Axelsen – both of whom he’s beaten in the last two months. No matter how much that crown of his slick gelled pompadour pushes him to 6 feet making him a prized scalp, there’s always a polite smile waiting to light up his sunshine face, and take away the menace of his lightning speed that fetched him the world title.

Memories of World Championship final where Kean Yew trumped Kidambi Srikanth are fresh – never mind the change of calendar. Yet, both Srikanth and HS Prannoy whom he set aside on way to the title, will fancy their chances of reversing their scorelines, should they run into the surprise, breakout gold medallist. Lakshya Sen who has beaten him in the last 12 months, while carving his own reputation on debut, won’t be faulted for believing he could’ve gone the distance had he had a shy at the Singaporean in the final.

“I ended the year on a high so it was a good year… Nobody will always win. The pressure is always there. I just hope that I can play the best and I can perform,” Kean Yew told BAI.

Fitness worry

Yet, a gold medal is undeniable. Ask Lee Chong Wei, inarguably far more legendary than anyone who made the last 8 at Spain, just how elusive the gold can be. And perhaps the biggest folly of the Indian pack at Delhi – despite playing in their backyard – might well be, in getting too bullish about their own forms, when pitted against the new one on the throne. The right ankle of the fresh regal, was a tad iffy post the World title, so those lunges and jumps might be a little wobbly when stomping. But the draw that might bring him up against Srikanth in the semis, might turn tricky even earlier.

Those wanting to win badly, and taking aim at the scalp, can be rank new names – Canadian Xiadong Shen and Malaysians Soong Joo Ven and Cheam June Wei. A new season will always have the boisterous unknown, upstarts.

For Kidambi Srikanth, who won at Delhi in 2015 and soon became No 1 and also reached the finals in 2018, this season-starter will be about a bunch of unfinished businesses: he’s not won a title for eons – 3 years. The World’s finals miss keeps him famished for title glory. And there’s the Singaporean grinning at him from under his playing mop from across the court, should both line up for the rematch revenge.

Yet, for a first seed, Srikanth has himself some speedbumps – a bunch of ambitious Indians spoiling for flight. Siril Verma in Round 1, Subhankar Dey in Round 2 and Sameer Verma / Kiran George in quarters. Each has an opportunity to overtake the challenger. Targets come embossed on all sizes of torquing backs.

[​IMG]HS Prannoy at the World Championship. (Reuters)

HS Prannoy will have to shrug off rustiness against Pablo Abian, and could run into Mithun Manjunath, a talented Bangalorean, trying to lose the Lakshya Sen shadow. Prannoy – Lakshya going head to head in quarters can be a nice little Friday domestic blockbuster.

Young and strapping Priyanshu Rajawat, rated highly in Hyderabad, will be peppered with a French challenge first up, but can quickly make headlines if he beats veteran Tommy Sugiarto. India’s wily fox Ajay Jayaram, with that bamboozling limby game, missed out on Olympic qualification – albeit at Siri Fort – by a whisker a decade ago. Fitness permitting – and he was in good touch over the European swing, he might want to exploit a gentler bottom half of the draw and surprise the world.

Loh Kean Yew is the world champion. But for a gaggle of Indians, starved of world class competition, this India Open might well be the time to grab the attention of the Badminton world.

12. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: Loh Kean Yew gets $200k cash reward from Indonesian tycoon's foundation

[​IMG]
    National shuttler Loh Kean Yew in action at the India Open, on Jan 11, 2022. PHOTO: BADMINTONPHOT
    [​IMG]

David Lee

PUBLISHED
    JAN 12, 2022, 4:44 PM SGT

SINGAPORE - National shuttler Loh Kean Yew's cash rewards for winning the Badminton World Federation World Championships are now close to $500,000 as he received his single biggest incentive yet.

The Karim Family Foundation, which is set up by the family of Indonesian tycoon Bachtiar Karim and his wife Dewi Sukwanto, has given the Singaporean $200,000 to reward him for his exploits at the World Championships, and to urge him to continue pursuing his dream of winning an Olympic medal.

The foundation had contacted SPH Media Trust's Chinese Media Group to get in touch with the Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) in order to make the contribution last week.

Karim is ranked 10th on Forbes' list of Indonesia's 50 richest in 2021 with a net worth of US$3.5 billion (S$4.73 billion). He runs Musim Mas, an integrated palm oil firm, with his brothers Burhan and Bahari.

The 65-year-old is known for his philanthropy, with Musim Mas Holdings having gifted $2.27 million to Karim's alma mater, the National University of Singapore, to start a professorship in sustainability in its business school in 2010. The company also donated $5 million to various causes, including the Singapore General Hospital and the Alzheimer's Disease Association, in 2020.

Karim’s daughter Cindy, one of the foundation’s principals, told The Straits Times: “We’ve been following Kean Yew’s career since he beat Lin Dan in 2019. When we watched him again in his games (at the world championships), we knew he’s definitely here to stay.

“He definitely has immense potential to become one of the top players in the world. And especially being the first badminton champion from Singapore, we really find him even more exceptional.”

His son Chayadi Karim, also a principal of the foundation, told Lianhe Zaobao: "We always believe in giving back to society and supporting various community programmes. The purpose of this incentive is to make him a role model for youths.

"I feel Loh Kean Yew is an impressive young man. Competition among badminton's elite is very intense. One needs not just good technique, but also strong will to succeed. I have observed this young man for a long time now and I very much admire his indefatigable spirit.

"We hope Kean Yew can continue playing good badminton without any worries. We want to show that it is good to pursue sports not just as a hobby, but also as a career. We hope more young aspiring athletes will follow in his footsteps so that Singapore's sporting standards can be raised."

The Karims' gesture takes Loh's rewards kitty to over $495,000. This includes money from a crowdfunding exercise initiated by Wei Chan, an SBA committee member, on a personal basis on Jan 2, which drew more than 700 donors who contributed $165,299. Local business leaders and individuals, as well as SBA and its equipment and apparel sponsor Li-Ning have also chipped to the tune of $130,000.

The pot could increase to $1 million as The Straits Times understands that the SBA is in the midst of negotiating a multi-year, six-figure sponsorship deal.

Loh, who is currently competing at the India Open, said: "I am very grateful to the many sponsors and well-wishers like Mr Karim who have offered various rewards and encouragement following my win. For athletes, this is a recognition of our hard work and sacrifices.

"Doing my best and making my country proud have always been my priority. Knowing that there are many people out there who are very supportive, generous and encouraging towards local athletes means a lot to me.

"I am also very thankful for Sport Singapore, SBA, Li-Ning and Singapore Sports School as they have been taking care of me and stuck with me every step of the way since I came to Singapore.

"There are too many people who have helped me in my life and I can never thank them enough. Without all the support and encouragement, I wouldn't be standing on the podium."

On Dec 19, Loh became the first Singaporean to win the World Championships. But the 24-year-old did not pocket any prize money as the tournament is one of two major events in the sport - the other is the Olympics - that do not offer any financial incentives.

He is also not eligible for the Singapore National Olympic Council's Major Games Award Programme - which is funded by the Tote Board Group - as it applies only to the SEA, Asian, Commonwealth, and Olympic Games.

SBA president Lawrence Leow was also encouraged by Karim's "significant donation" and the outpouring of support for Loh since his momentous win.

He added: "Kean Yew's feat has now captured the imagination of generations of future badminton players and is a powerful testament that despite being a small nation, we can achieve excellence with the support of everyone in Singapore.

"Every source of encouragement - be it through scholarships, donations, sponsorships or words of encouragement - is deeply appreciated by everyone at the SBA as it means a lot to the athletes, coaches, staff and management.

"With the continued support of Sport Singapore and sponsors, we are inspired and well-placed to groom more players to give Singaporeans more reasons to cheer in the coming years."

Meanwhile, Singapore's shuttlers remained unbeaten at the India Open in New Delhi on Wednesday.

Mixed doubles world No. 182 Terry Hee and Tan Wei Han beat India's 564th-ranked pair of T. Hema Nagendra Babu and Srivedya Gurazada 21-12, 21-17 in 26 minutes and will meet another local duo, world No. 978 Akhsan Shetty and Simran Singhi on Thursday.

Hee will partner Loh Kean Hean later on Wednesday as the world No. 106 men's doubles pair take on India's 81st-ranked Krishna Prasad Garaga and Vishnuvardhan Goud Panjala.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore's Loh Kean Yew through to India Open q-finals

[​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew beat Malaysia's world No. 70 Soong Joo Ven 21-12, 21-12 in 33 minutes.PHOTO: BADMINTONPHOTO
    David Lee
    Jan 13, 2022 05:11 pm

World champion Loh Kean Yew's path towards winning the India Open and breaking into the top 10 for the first time has opened up with his second-round victory and a slew of withdrawals due to Covid-19.

The 24-year-old Singaporean on Thursday (Jan 13) beat Malaysia's world No. 70 Soong Joo Ven 21-12, 21-12 in 33 minutes. He will face either Russian Sergey Sirant (No. 76) or Finn Kalle Koljonen (No. 63) in the quarter-final on Friday.

Loh, at world No. 15, is the highest-ranked player left in the men's singles after top seed and No. 10 Srikanth Kidambi was one of seven Indian shuttlers ruled out after positive coronavirus tests on Wednesday.

If Loh wins the US$400,000 (S$541,000) competition, which is a Super 500 event and fourth tier of the BWF World Tour circuit, he will replace Srikanth as world No. 10.

In the mixed doubles, the Republic's world No. 182 Terry Hee and Tan Wei Han benefited from the withdrawal of India's world No. 978 Akshan Shetty and Simran Singhi.

The latter tested positive while Shetty is considered a close contact.

The Singaporeans next meet India's unranked pair of Nithin H. V. and Ashwini Bhat K.

Elsewhere at the Indira Gandhi Sports Complex, Singapore's 17th-ranked Yeo Jia Min posted a 13-21, 21-7, 21-12 win over India's world No. 159 Anupama Upadhyaya in 52 minutes.

The 22-year-old showed more aggression and composure after losing the first game, and will play Thailand's world No. 33 Supanida Katethong on Friday for a place in the semi-finals.

Later on Thursday, world No. 106 Loh Kean Hean and Hee will play in the second round of the men's doubles against India's unranked duo Gaurav Deswal and Shubham Yadav. (The Singaporean pair won 21-12, 21-11)

Simeon likes this.
  14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Loh Kean Yew reaches 3rd straight final after ill s-final opponent withdraws
    Chia Han Keong 7 hrs ago
    [​IMG]
    Yahoo News

SINGAPORE — Loh Kean Yew reached his third straight men's singles final on the badminton World Tour circuit at the India Open in New Delhi - without even stepping onto the court on Saturday (15 January).

[​IMG]

The reigning world champion now has a chance to propel himself into the top 10 of the world rankings for the first time in his career, as his semi-final opponent Brian Yang of Canada conceded a walkover after being ill with sore throat and headache.

The current world No.15 will face either world No.17 Lakshya Sen of India or Malaysia's world No. 60 Ng Tze Yong in Sunday's final.

Loh, 24, had been on a tear since a fruitful training stint in Dubai with world No.1 Viktor Axelsen after the Tokyo Olympics last August. A Dutch Open title in October was followed by another title in November at the Hylo Open in Germany.

But it was in the final week of November when he truly exploded into world-beating form at the prestigious Indonesia Open in Bali. He stunned then-world No.1 Kento Momota of Japan in the opening round, and reached the final before losing to Axelsen in three sets.

Loh's next tournament was the BWF World Championships in Huelva, Spain, and there he landed his greatest achievement in winning the world title,becoming the first Singaporean to do so. Along the way, he turned the tables on Axelsenin the opening round and outlasted India's Kidambi Srikanth in the final.

Srikanth would have been Loh's likely opponent at this India Open semi-final, but the top seed was forced to withdraw after being tested positive for COVID-19.

There has been a spate of withdrawals at the India Open due to positive COVID-19 test results, and it has allowed the Singapore pair of Terry Hee and Tan Wei Han to reach the mixed doubles final.

Hee and Tan, who tied their wedding knot in October last year, advanced after their Russian semi-final opponents Rodion Alimov and Alina Davletova withdrew due to a member in their team being tested positive for the coronavirus.

They will face either Malaysian top seeds Tan Kian Meng and Lai Pei Jing or their compatriots Chen Tang Jie and Peck Yan Wei.

Attached Files:

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Badminton: Singapore's world champion Loh Kean Yew loses in India Open final
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew was beaten 24-22, 21-17 by India's world No. 17 Lakshya Sen. PHOTO: AFP
    [​IMG]

David Lee

PUBLISHED
    JAN 16, 2022, 9:00 PM SGT

SINGAPORE - National shuttler Loh Kean Yew experienced his first defeat as world champion when he was beaten 24-22, 21-17 by India's world No. 17 Lakshya Sen in the India Open final on Sunday (Jan 16).

In the 54-minute clash between two young rising stars at the Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium, 20-year-old Sen produced better defence and fewer unforced errors to seal victory at the US$400,000 (S$539,000) event in New Delhi and claim his third win over Loh in five encounters.

This was Sen's 10th career title and first Super 500 triumph, the fourth tier of the Badminton World Federation World Tour circuit and the Indian received a US$30,000 winner's cheque, while world No. 15 Loh took home US$15,200.

The Singaporean, 24, will be disappointed to miss out on his second Super 500 and eighth career title, but to put things in perspective, he had won his first Super 500 event only last November at the Hylo Open in Germany.

A month later, he stunned the fraternity by winning the BWF World Championships in Huelva, Spain where Sen claimed the joint-bronze.

Despite the defeat, Loh is expected to rise to a career-high world No. 12 in the rankings that will be released on Tuesday, while Sen should move up to 13th.

Earlier, Singapore's world No. 182 pair Terry Hee and Tan Wei Han picked up their first Super 500 mixed doubles title after beating Malaysia's 40th-ranked duo Chen Tang Jie and Peck Yen Wei 21-15, 21-18 in the final.

Simeon likes this.
  16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    India Open: Lakshya Sen defeats world champion Loh Kean Yew 24-22, 21-17 in men's singles final
    India Open: Lakshya Sen defeats world champion Loh Kean Yew 24-22, 21-17 in men's singles final - Hindustan Times
    [​IMG]
    Lakshya Sen celebrates after winning the India Open title.(HT Media)
    Published on Jan 16, 2022 06:24 PM IST
    hindustantimes.com, New Delhi

India's Lakshya Sen produced a magnificent effort to beat world champion Loh Kean Yew of Singapore 24-22 21-17 in the final of men's singles at the Indian Open. This is Sen's first BWF World Tour Super 500 title and third overall.

Continuing on his impressive showing in the BWF World Championships where he reached the semi-finals of the 2021 edition, Sen produced a fine performance against Loh as he dominated the fifth-seeded Singaporean shuttler throughout the game.

There was a significant difference in Sen's style of play against Loh throughout the match as the Indian, who likes to play the attacking game, was quite patient in his rallies against the Singapore player. It was probably a testament to the current world champion's brilliant defensive game, and Sen did well to breach it.

After an initial 2-0 lead in the first game from the Singapore shuttler, Sen mounted an excellent comeback with four points on the trot. While Sen maintained the lead for a large part of the game, Loh eventually fought back with six consecutive points to draw level at 19-19 towards the closing stages. The game points, then, swung between the two before Lakshya managed to close the game at 24-22, courtesy of an error in judgment from Loh on the sideline.

Loh moved much better in the second game, taking an early 4-1 lead before Lakshya -- once again -- pulled back to draw level. The Indian was more attacking in the second game as both players pulled the strings on one another to keep the scoreboard tight.

The Singapore shuttler's unforced errors, however, continued to cost him as Lakshya led 11-9 at the break.

After Lakshya secured five successive points post the break, Loh staged a mini-comeback to draw close to the Indian. However, it wasn't enough for the Singapore shuttler as Lakshya eventually saw the game off to win the India Open title.

Simeon likes this.
  17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore public donates more than US$270,000 to shuttler Loh Kean Yew as world champion wins silver at India Open
    Singapore public donates more than US$270,000 to shuttler Loh Kean Yew as world champion wins silver at India Open | South China Morning Post (scmp.com)
    • ‘Loh Kean Yew Encouragement Fund’ closed on Sunday with more than S$367,000, not including Indonesian family’s S$200,000 injection
    • The 24-year-old world No 15 loses to Indian prospect Lakshya Sen in the final, while Singapore mixed doubles teammates Hee and Tan win gold
    [​IMG]

Andrew McNicol
    + FOLLOW
    Published: 9:30pm, 17 Jan, 2022

[​IMG]
    Singapore badminton player Loh Kean Yew after winning against Indian opponent Srikanth Kidambi in the men’s singles final event at the BWF World Championships in Spain. Photo: AFP

Singapore’s Loh Kean Yew clinched men’s individual silver at the India Open 2022 in New Delhi on Sunday, his first event since being crowned world champion.

The 24-year-old, who shot to national hero status after sealing BWF World Championships gold in Spain last December, lost to Indian prospect Lakshya Sen 24-22, 21-17 in the final.

“It didn’t turn out my way unfortunately. This only means there’s a lot more to work on,” Loh wrote in an Instagram post. “My heartiest congratulations to [Sen] for playing a solid match to be crowned the new India Open champion.”

[​IMG]
    Lakshya Sen is the new India Open champion after delighting home fans in the final. Photo: EPA
    World No 15 Loh won US$15,000 for his finish, while 20-year-old world No 17 Sen is expected to move up the world rankings.

Meanwhile, Singapore’s mixed doubles pair and married partners Terry Hee Yong Kai and Tan Wei Han won their final after beating Chen Tang Jie and Peck Yen Wei 21-15, 21-18.

“A big congratulations to my [Singapore] teammates for winning their first Super 500 mixed doubles title!” Loh said.

The Open was laced with Covid-19 scares and withdrawals. Loh’s semi-final opponent Brian Yang, of Canada, pulled out citing illness, as did Hee and Tan’s after their semi against Rodion Alimov and Alina Davletova, of Russia, was called off owing to a positive Covid-19 test.

“This has been a particularly challenging and unusual tournament for many. Speedy recovery to those who have fallen ill, and I hope everyone else keeps in good health and spirits,” Loh said.

Last week, Indonesian-Chinese tycoon Bachtiar Karim’s family donated S$200,000 (US$148,678) to Loh via the Karim Family Foundation in the hopes that he realises his Olympic gold medal dream.

The sizeable donation came after the Singapore public raised more than S$367,528 (US$272,753) via the now-closed “Loh Kean Yew Encouragement Fund”, after learning that he did not earn any prize money from the event despite being Singapore’s first badminton world champion.

Earlier this month, Loh updated fans from his training camp in Dubai, calling the past few months “quite a whirlwind”, while thanking those who supported his world title campaign.

“Your gestures and generosity means a lot to me. It is challenging to maintain consistency at this level, but knowing that I have the support back home gives me extra motivation to remain focused and to put in my best efforts,” he wrote.

[​IMG]

Andrew McNicol

Andrew McNicol is a sports writer with a particular interest in football, rugby and mixed martial arts. He also enjoys covering local athletes and niche sports in the region. He has a master's degree in Media and Communications Governance from the London School of Economics and Political Science.

Simeon likes this.
  18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    1. S$417,878 raised for badminton champion Loh Kean Yew in 3 weeks by public & captains of industry
      S$417,878 raised for badminton champion Loh Kean Yew in 3 weeks by public & captains of industry - Mothership.SG - News from Singapore, Asia and around the world

People in Singapore showing their gratitude.

Ashley Tan | [​IMG] January 18, 2022, 05:39 PM

[​IMG]
      Update on Jan. 18, 5:50pm: A previous version of this article stated that a total of S$617,878 was raised for Loh. The amount has been amended to S$417,878

Members of the public have collectively raised S$367,878 for badminton world champion Loh Kean Yew in just two weeks.

The public has been forthcoming with their support after it was revealed that Loh did not win any prize money for his world championship win in December 2021.

Crowdfunding ended
      The crowdfunding page on the Ray of Hope platform was set up on Jan. 2 by the managing director of Pine Garden's Cake, Wei Chan, who is himself an avid badminton player and fan.

Chan had approached the crowdfunding charity organisation after many members of the public approached him hoping to show their gratitude to Loh.

The platform ensures that all of the funds raised will go to Loh directly, a Ray of Hope spokesperson previously told Mothership.

A Ray of Hope spokesperson also confirmed with Mothership that the Loh Kean Yew Encouragement Fund, as it has been named, closed on Jan. 17.

Among the 726 donors was an Indonesian-Chinese palm oil tycoon who chipped in S$200,000.

Aside from the S$367,878 raised, another S$50,000 had previously been raised by Chan and four other businesspeople.

This means that Loh will receive a total sum of S$417,878.

Government provides extensive support to Singapore athletes

The topic of the absence of prize money for Loh's win was raised in Parliament by MP Xie Yao Quan.

Xie also asked for the government to share more about the support and assistance athletes receive.

Minister for Culture, Community & Youth Edwin Tong responded that in the last three years, the government has invested an average of almost S$90 million each year to develop and operate stadiums, running tracks, sports halls and other venues.

In addition, the government also provides extensive support for elite athletes who participate in competitions.

Every year, the government also invests around S$70 million in the High Performance Support system, which nurtures elite athletes and provides them with end-to-end support and development.

Over the past five years, this investment has funded things like new technological systems for sports science facilities, building world-class training facilities and undertaking research and development.

Won second-place in India Open

Loh recently suffered a loss to India's Lakshya Sen during the 2022 India Open on Jan. 16, finishing second in the tournament.

As the runner-up, Loh will receive US$15,200 (S$20,486) in prize money.

Several donors left comments of encouragement on the Ray of Hope platform following Loh's loss.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"There are both victories and losses in the competitive world, what’s most important is not to be cocky when you win, and not to lose heart when you lose. Remember your initial heart when you first started out, continue to fight on, and carry on with determination. Go! Fighting!"

ant01 likes this.
  19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Loh Kean Yew spending Valentine’s Day ‘with himself’ before heading for rematch with Malaysia’s Lee Zii Jia
    Loh Kean Yew spending Valentine’s Day 'with himself' before heading for rematch with Malaysia’s Lee Zii Jia - The Independent Singapore News

[​IMG]
    Gold medalist Singapore's Loh Kean Yew celebrates on the podium after winning the men's singles final badminton match of the BWF World Championships in Huelva, on December 19, 2021. (Photo by JOSE JORDAN / AFP)

The Singaporean champ is playing at the Badminton Asia Team Championships (BATC) at Shah Alam, Malaysia, next week.

February 11, 2022
    By Anna Maria Romero

Singapore — The country’s first world badminton champion, Loh Kean Yew, posted an early Valentine’s Day greeting on Feb 9 on his Instagram post, saying he was “spending quality time this Valentine’s Day” with himself and his Seiko Prospex.

He posted a photo of what looked like a date night, with his very nice watch prominently featured. Loh became a “brand friend” for Seiko Prospex last month.

[​IMG]

The Singaporean champ is playing at the Badminton Asia Team Championships (BATC) at Shah Alam, Malaysia, next week.

But Loh may have actually had more company, as there were two drinking glasses in the photo.

His post resulted in some good-natured ribbing from fellow badminton players Ong Yew Sin and Viktor Axelsen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Both are elite athletes in the badminton world, with Malaysia’s Ong reaching 11th in world rankings. Denmark’s Axelsen, meanwhile, is the reigning Olympic Champion.

Loh has been training with Axelsen in Dubai since early this year.

At the BATC next week, Loh faces off against All England winner Lee Zii Jia from Malaysia.

On Feb 9, The New Straits Times (NST) called the upcoming match a “Battle of the titans,” characterizing the game as “epic” and a “titanic showdown” that is “sure to take centerstage” at the games, particularly because there will be fewer players this year.

Kento Momota of Japan and Antony Sinisuka Ginting of Indonesia will not be participating in this year’s BATC. Badminton players from China, Taiwan and Thailand, will also not be joining the BATC games due to Covid-19.

Lee, like Loh, is 24. He has faced the Singaporean athlete four times and lost the last two.

The onus is on Lee to get his country through to the semi-Asian finals, NST quoted one coach as saying.

“I believe that Zii Jia will be the deciding factor when we play Singapore because after his 50-50 performance last season, he must try to win that important point. If he does, we have a very good chance,” said Mr Hendrawan, the national men’s singles head coach for Malaysia.

Lee, who is ranked number 7 in the world, resigned from the national team after losing to Loh at the Hylo Open final in Germany last November in order to turn professional. /TISG

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore badminton player Loh Kean Yew moves into top 10 of world rankings, reaches new career high
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew poses with his medal during a press conference at Changi Airport on Dec 21, 2021. (Photo: Jeremy Long)

[​IMG]
    Matthew Mohan
    @MatthewMohanCNA
    22 Feb 2022 09:18AM(Updated: 22 Feb 2022 10:02AM)
    Bookmark
    WhatsAppTelegramFacebookTwitterEmailLinkedIn
    SINGAPORE: Badminton player Loh Kean Yew has broken into the top 10 of the world rankings for the first time in his career.

In the latest Badminton World Federation (BWF) world rankings on Tuesday (Feb 22), the Singaporean jumped to a career-high ninth. He was ranked 12th in the last edition of the rankings the week before.

Loh's rise up the rankings continues after a creditable showing at the Badminton Asia Team Championships for the 24-year-old and Singapore's men's team.

Loh won all but one of his singles matches as Singapore progressed to the semi-finals of the event before losing 3-2 to Indonesia to claim bronze. This was the first time Singapore has clinched a medal at the event.

His solitary loss came against world number 7 Lee Zii Jia as Singapore were beaten 5-0 by Malaysia in the group stage.

A METEORIC RISE
    About a year ago, Loh was ranked 39th in the world, but a string of sensational performances at the tail-end of 2021 has propelled him up the rankings.

This included winning the Dutch Open crown in October, and claiming his first career BWF World Tour Super 500 title at the Hylo Open in November.

Loh's crowning moment came in December as he became the first Singaporean to win a BWF World Championships title.

Related:
    [​IMG]
    IN FOCUS: From determined teen to badminton world champion - Loh Kean Yew's journey to the top

Loh defeated India’s Kidambi Srikanth 21-15, 22-20 in the men’s singles final to cap off a fairytale run that saw him beat the likes of Olympic champion Viktor Axelsen and Axelsen's compatriot Anders Antonsen.

The Singaporean has competed in two tournaments in 2022, finishing runners-up to India's Lakshya Sen at the India Open before competing in the Badminton Asia Team Championships.

He is slated to feature at the German Open next month, where he will face Canada's Brian Yang in his opening match.

Dane Axelsen currently sits atop the BWF's men's rankings, with Japan's Kento Momota in second, and Antonsen in third.

Loh's compatriot Yeo Jia Min remains at a career-high 16th in the women's rankings.

Source: CNA/mt(mi)