Loh Kean Yew / 骆建佑

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Loh, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Loh Kean Yew falls short in Badminton Asia C’ships final, losing to Indonesian world No. 2
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew's silver medal at the Badminton Asia Championships is Singapore's best result after three previous bronzes at the continental showpiece. ST FILE PHOTO
    [​IMG]
    David Lee
    Sports Correspondent
    UPDATED
    MAY 1, 2023, 5:02 PM SGT

SINGAPORE – There are not many badminton players in the world quicker than Loh Kean Yew.

Unfortunately for the world No. 7 Singaporean, he ran into one of them in the Badminton Asia Championships men’s singles final as he lost 21-12, 21-8 to Indonesia’s world No. 2 Anthony Sinisuka Ginting on Sunday.

While 2021 world champion Loh could not become just the ninth men’s singles player to win both world and Asian titles, his silver medal is still the Republic’s best result after three previous bronzes at the continental showpiece.

Despite the one-sided defeat that lasted 28 minutes, Loh is expected to return to the top five in the world rankings.

Looking back, he will be encouraged by his first final since losing the SEA Games men’s singles gold medal to Kunlavut Vitidsarn in 2022. He will now turn his attention to the upcoming edition in Cambodia, where he will play in only the men’s team event, and the Sudirman Cup in May, when the Olympic qualifying period also starts.

The 25-year-old said: “Overall, it is a good week, but I’m disappointed with my own game while Ginting played a very good game today.

“There’s a lot to work on and hopefully I can get better. I don’t know how I’ll perform at the SEA Games and Sudirman Cup but I know I’ll give my all for sure.”

Regardless, his first Asia Championships final was an anti-climax considering how Loh had roared to life at the Sheikh Rashid Bin Hamdan Indoor Hall in Dubai.

He had taken apart India’s Lakshya Sen (24th), Jordan’s Bahaedeen Ahmad Alshannik (102nd), Hong Kong’s Lee Cheuk Yiu (20th) and China’s Lu Guangzu (14th) in straight sets in under 45 minutes.

But the tables were turned against a more formidable foe who has now beaten him four matches on the trot since losing their first two encounters.

Ginting’s game plan may sound simple – prevent Loh from unleashing his 400kmh smashes – but it took a masterclass to execute it and win his first Asian title.

The 26-year-old Olympic bronze medallist started off by playing more to Loh’s backhand, and produced clears that tempted Loh to let them land only to see them drop right in the corners.

Anxious to find a way back into the game, Loh dumped several returns into the net, while Ginting also covered the court and read his opponent well to be well placed to deliver his own killer smashes.

National singles coach Kelvin Ho said: “Our plan today was to play a high-speed game and create attacking opportunities. But Ginting’s acceleration was very fast today and he kept the initiative so Kean Yew could not unleash his weapons or control the shuttle well.

“The positive thing is for most of the week, Kean Yew was able to find his momentum to play his game with the additional skills we were working on to make him more complete.

“He still has work to do on his skills, his control, how he maintains his acceleration to support his gameplay, and different styles to play with different opponents.”

Meanwhile, Taiwanese world No. 4 Tai Tzu-ying claimed her third Asian crown and denied South Korean world No. 2 An Se-young her first with a 21-10, 21-14 victory.

In the women’s doubles final, Japan’s Yuki Fukushima and Sayaka Hirota cruised past South Koreans Baek Ha-na and Lee So-hee 21-7, 21-14. Indian pair Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty shocked Malaysians Ong Yew Sin and Teo Ee Yi 16-21, 21-17, 21-19 in the mens’ doubles final.

There was also a surprise in the mixed doubles final as China’s world No. 1 Zheng Siwei and Huang Yaqiong lost for only the second time in 2023, falling 21-15, 21-16 to compatriots Jiang Zhenbang and Wei Yaxin.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    For Loh Kean Yew, the No. 1 dream is Olympic gold
    Badminton: ‘I am still me,’ says Loh Kean Yew, as he recounts his ‘rough’ start as a pro

Simeon and lodoss like this.
  2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Loh Kean Yew finally subdues Hong Kong rival at Badminton Asia Championships
    He beats Lee Cheuk Yiu for the first time in 4 encounters as he reaches semi-finals in his best showing at the tournament
    [​IMG]
    Chia Han Keong

·Editor
    Fri, April 28, 2023 at 7:13 PM GMT+8·2 min read
    [​IMG]
    Singapore shuttler Loh Kean Yew in action at the 2023 All England Badminton Championships. (PHOTO: Shi Tang/Getty Images)

SINGAPORE — Before Friday (28 April), Loh Kean Yew had never beaten Hong Kong's Lee Cheuk Yiu in their past three encounters on the Badminton World Tour.

It was therefore fourth-time lucky for the Singaporean world No.7 shuttler, as he edged out his wily world No.20 rival 21-19, 21-19 at the Badminton Asia Championships quarter-finals in Dubai.

In beating Lee, the former world champion attained his best-ever showing at the annual regional tournament by reaching the men's singles semi-finals, eclipsing his quarter-final effort last year. Loh had defeated India's Lakshya Sen in the opening round, and then saw off Jordan's Bahaedeen Ahmad Alshannik in the second round.

It was anything but an easy 38-minute romp for the 25-year-old, however, as he had to dig deep to fend off Lee, who had last beaten him at the 2022 Malaysia Open.

In a see-saw first game, Loh had held a slight advantage early on, but Lee patiently chipped away at the lead until he levelled the score at 14-all.

Loh thought he had the decisive advantage when he surged to a 20-17 lead, but Lee again crept up to 19-all before Loh finally put him away.

It was a similarly tight affair when the second game started, but Lee suddenly found an extra gear to win five straight points for an 11-5 lead. Loh, however, retaliated with a five-point surge of his own to reduce the deficit to 10-11.

Lee surged again to take a seemingly-decisive 18-14 lead, but Loh refused to yield, levelling the tie at 19-all before claiming the final two points for the hard-fought victory.

The Singaporean will next face China's world No.14 Lu Guangzu in the semi-finals.

Simeon likes this.
  3. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Loh Kean Yew roars into Badminton Asia Championships s-finals
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew will take on China’s world No. 14 Lu Guangzu on Saturday for a historic place in the final. PHOTO: LIANHE ZAOBAO
    [​IMG]
    David Lee
    Sports Correspondent
    UPDATED
    APR 29, 2023, 12:47 AM SGT

SINGAPORE – Loh Kean Yew is closing in on his roaring best as he recorded his first victory over his Hong Kong buddy Lee Cheuk Yiu to reach the Badminton Asia Championships men’s singles semi-finals and match the Republic’s best performance in the competition.

The 25-year-old will take on China’s world No. 14 Lu Guangzu on Saturday for a historic place in the final. In their only meeting at the 2022 Indonesia Masters, Loh won in straight games.

He told The Straits Times: “Cheuk Yiu is one of my closest friends on the circuit, someone I can talk cock and even share an apartment with when we train overseas, and it feels good to finally beat him.

“I’m happy with every breakthrough, but I just want to take one match at a time. Anything can happen.”

Before Loh, who became Singapore’s first badminton world champion in 2021, only Indra Wijaya (men’s singles, 2001), Xiao Luxi (women’s singles, 2002), and Hendri Kurniawan Saputra and Li Yujia (mixed doubles, 2006) had won bronze medals at the Asia championships.

The world No. 7 will have a chance to surpass them after putting on a high-octane display that demonstrated some of his best traits to beat the 20th-ranked Lee 21-19, 21-19 in 39 minutes at the Sheikh Rashid Bin Hamdan Indoor Hall in Dubai on Friday.

In a tight opening game, Loh started and finished strongly with his trademark ferocious smashes and deft net plays, including arguably the point of the match when he made two diving saves, the second of which turned out to be a drop-shot winner, at 18-16.

Lee, who had won all their three previous encounters, raced to an 18-14 advantage in the second game but Loh responded by claiming seven of the next eight points before unleashing a jubilant fist pump and deafening roar.

The win came as a boost after his sluggish start to 2023, winning only six of 12 matches and reaching just two quarter-finals at the Malaysia and India Opens.

He was not helped by a second bout of Covid-19 after losing in the first round of the All England Open, but benefited from a one-week training camp in Dubai before the start of the Asia championships.

National singles coach Kelvin Ho said: “The game plan today was to maintain a high intensity and put pressure on the opponent, which Kean Yew did well to control for most of the game.

“He is still trying to find his momentum this year, as we try to combine new skills with his own style to make him more complete. To go further, he will need to remain hungry and manage his train of thought well on court.”

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Asian Badminton Championships eludes Loh Kean Yew, changes focus to SEA Games and Sudirman Cup
    Asian Badminton Championships eludes Loh Kean Yew, changes focus to SEA Games and Sudirman Cup - Singapore News (theindependent.sg)

[​IMG]
    Photo: Facebook screengrab / BadmintonasiaC

May 5, 2023
    By Khalis Rifhan

Despite the loss, Loh climbed three spots to be in fourth place in the latest Badminton World Federation’s ranking for the men’s singles category

SINGAPORE — Singapore’s top shuttler Loh Kean Yew has once again failed in his quest to claim a victory over Indonesia’s Anthony Sinisuka Ginting, as the two battled it out at the weekend in the men’s singles final of the 2023 Badminton Asia Championships.

Loh, who won the BWF World Championship in 2021, fell for the fourth consecutive time to the world number two ranked player in just half an hour, 21-12, 21-8 at the Sheikh Rashid Bin Hamdan Indoor Hall in Dubai, UAE

Despite the loss, Loh climbed three spots to be in fourth place in the latest Badminton World Federation’s ranking for the men’s singles category. Viktor Axelsen remains the world’s number one badminton player, and Ginting maintained his spot in second place. Japanese badminton player Kodai Naraoka is in third place, while Chou Tien Tien of Chinese Taipei is in fifth. All the players mentioned above will be in action in Singapore at the upcoming Singapore Badminton Open at the Singapore Indoor Stadium from June 6 to 11.

[​IMG]
    Head-to-Head | Loh Kean Yew vs Anthony Ginting – Photo: Badminton World Federation

Loh’s attention has now turned to the upcoming SEA Games in Cambodia, with the badminton competition scheduled for May 8 to 16 at the Morodok Techo National Stadium in Phnom Penh. But this also clashes with the BWF Sudirman Cup, starting on May 14 in Suzhou, China. Therefore Loh, and other Team Singapore badminton players, such as Yeo Jia Min, will only be participating in the team events in Cambodia, which will end on May 11.

Singapore is drawn in Group A with China, Denmark and Egypt for the 2023 Sudirman Cup. There are four groups, and the top two from each group will advance to the quarter-finals stage. Singapore last played in the Sudirman Cup in 2019, grouped with Canada, Germany, and Israel. Singapore finished the group in third place, with one point courtesy of a 4-1 win over Israel. They lost their other two matches with similar results, 3-2, to Canada and Germany. Singapore then won their 17th-ranking classification match 3-0 against Vietnam.

[​IMG]
    Sudirman Cup 2019 – Singapore vs Vietnam – 17th Classification Match Photo: Badminton World Federation

“It’s been a mixed week – had some good runs and hard lessons to learn. Leaving Dubai with a silver medal in the bag. My heartiest congratulations to Ginting for winning the Asian title. Heading to Cambodia for the SEA Games soon, see you then!”

Singapore won one silver and five bronze in the previous SEA Games held in Hanoi, Vietnam. Loh clinched the Republic’s only silver medal and won the bronze medal in the men’s team event.

Although it is a disappointment for Loh not to be able to claim glory in Dubai, he remains the only Singaporean player to advance to the final of the Badminton Asian Championship and to bring home the silver medal. Prior to Loh’s performance, Singapore only managed a bronze medal in 2001 by Indra Wijaya in the men’s singles and Xiao Luxi in the women’s singles the following year. In 2006 Hendri Saputra and Li Yujia also received the bronze medal in the mixed doubles event.

Wijaya started his badminton career representing Indonesia before switching his allegiance to Singapore. In the 2001 Asian Badminton Championship in Manila, Wijaya went up against a young Lee Chong Wei from Malaysia in the early stages of the tournament. He faced eventual champion Xia Xuanze of China in the semi-finals, losing 15-7, 15-8. Xuanze defeated 18-year-old Lin Dan in the final, who was then a young and rising star in the badminton scene.

Send in your scoops to news@theindependent.sg

Simeon likes this.
  5. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Loh Kean Yew stays patient in solving badminton puzzle
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew begins his Singapore Badminton Open campaign on Wednesday against Hong Kong’s Lee Cheuk Yiu. ST PHOTO: DESMOND WEE
    [​IMG]
    David Lee
    Sports Correspondent
    UPDATED
    47 MINS AGO

SINGAPORE – He has been working on solving puzzles for the past two years, and for a glorious week in December 2021, when it all came together, Loh Kean Yew was a picture of poise and power as he won the badminton world title.

Eighteen months on, the 25-year-old Singaporean is working on even more pieces of his game to become a better player and a medal prospect at the 2024 Paris Olympics.

Ahead of this week’s KFF Singapore Badminton Open, Loh told The Straits Times: “Most pieces involve playing the right shots at the right time. Last time, I didn’t have so many considerations. I mostly played what I wanted, which was mostly about smashing as hard as I could.

“After winning the world champs, more people analysed my game to try and beat me, so of course, I have to try to change my ways of playing. Now, there is more of a plan and different strategies against different players.

“Actually, I do enjoy it because it is a challenge, it is like solving a puzzle to become better and the end goal is a good thing.

“It is also frustrating now because there are a lot of expectations and some people think it is only natural to get better, but things are not so simple.

“It’s about staying patient. These changes are necessary for me to move up to a higher level, but I don’t know how long this process will take.”

Singapore Badminton Association (SBA) technical director Martin Andrew gave a glimpse into what some of these changes are.

They include variations and consistency to his serves, playing shots closer to the net at the front court, mastering mid-court drives – either hitting hard and flat, or taking the pace off – and getting the right height, trajectory, angle and speed for his clears to the back court to prevent opponents from attacking.

As an attacker, Loh is also working on how to play better in slower halls that are to his disadvantage, against opponents who prefer such conditions.

Andrew added: “We are trying to develop weapons for him in different environments because every arena can be unique, and make sure he can use his weapons and minimise his weak areas.

Loh is leaving no stone unturned. In February, he started to eat cleaner, cutting back on fat, oil and butter to help him shed unnecessary weight so he can move faster on court. In two months, he lost 3kg and is now 70kg.

However, time is a luxury Loh does not have. With a packed schedule that includes around 16 events during the May 1, 2023 to April 28, 2024 Olympic qualification period, he can “trial and error” only in tournaments.

He has no chance to work on finer details for an extended period.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Familiar foes await Singapore’s Loh Kean Yew in Singapore Open
    Loh Kean Yew hopes ‘things get better soon’ to end Indonesian hoodoo

Loh, who plays Hong Kong’s Lee Cheuk Yiu at the Singapore Indoor Stadium on Wednesday, shared: “There is a part of me that cannot accept not knowing what exactly I’m doing out on court, but I’m learning to let go and trust the process more.

“At the All England Open and German Open, there was a lot of trial and error to see what works and what doesn’t, and I lost in the first rounds. But I improved, and made the Asian champs final.

“It’s normal to get worse before it gets better, and I believe this is necessary. It’s about how long I take to bounce back.”

While he will always cherish his world title, Loh accepts it could also be a stick for his detractors to beat him with, especially as he has not won another title since.

“With the Internet and social media, it is impossible to ignore negative comments,” said the world No. 4.

“I do feel I enjoyed badminton more last time, and now it feels more like I’m working to become better. I do want to be better for myself, but it also feels like I have to get better to live up to other people’s expectations.”

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    When does talent bloom? Lessons from sprinter Shanti Pereira’s revival
    Badminton: ‘I am still me,’ says Loh Kean Yew, as he recounts his ‘rough’ start as a pro

After a typical day that comprises 2½ hours of training in the morning, 90-minute afternoon nap, a two-hour gym or running session before a light one-hour skills and technique practice in the evening, he unwinds by chatting with his girlfriend before he sleeps.

On Loh’s behalf, Andrew asked for patience and understanding as the SBA continues to hone a rare world-beater and Olympic medal prospect, and manage his physical and mental load.

He noted how each of the world’s top 10 men’s singles players, including the seemingly invincible Viktor Axelsen, has already suffered at least one first-round or round-of-16 defeat in the BWF World Tour this season.

Andrew added: “There’s so little in between the top 25 men’s singles players that you can be beaten quite comfortably if you’re just 2 per cent off your game on the day.

“We need to understand that Kean Yew has come a long way in a short period of time. From hovering around the top 40, he has won a world championship and reached world No. 3 in a year.

“It’s a massive change and the pressure that comes with it to stay at that level is also massive.

“When he’s performing well, nobody can match his speed, the quality of his attack. It’s just incredibly hard to do this on a constant basis. He’s had criticisms but he is not losing any matches by not trying.”

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Badminton: Loh Kean Yew ‘honoured’ to be nominated for BWF Male Player of the Year award
    Sporting Life: In lonely practice, sweaty athletes search for their perfect selves

lodoss likes this.
  6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Loh Kean Yew wins thrilling 59-shot rally, through to Indonesia Open second round
    [​IMG]
    Singapore's Loh Kean Yew bounced back with a victory at the ongoing Indonesia Open. ST PHOTO: ARIFFIN JAMAR
    [​IMG]
    David Lee
    Sports Correspondent
    UPDATED
    10 HOURS AGO

SINGAPORE – The way he was making save after save to repel the opponent’s attack in a spell-binding sequence of play, Loh Kean Yew could well have been auditioning to become a goalkeeper.

But as Singapore’s top badminton player, he was doing all he can to win an incredible 59-shot rally – and eventually his Indonesia Open first-round men’s singles match – against world No. 23 Chico Wardoyo at the Istora Gelora Bung Karno on Wednesday.

Ten times Wardoyo tried to smash and kill, with drop shots thrown in for good measure, but Loh always had an answer. Lunging, scampering, and even double-diving, the world No. 5 won the point of the day in the second game to lead 21-20 when the Indonesian’s lift sailed out, before he closed out the match 21-15, 23-21 in 45 minutes.

Loh will take on China’s All England Open champion and 10th-ranked Li Shifeng in the round of 16 on Thursday at the Super 1000 event while compatriot Yeo Jia Min faces Spain’s sixth-ranked Carolina Marin.

The 25-year-old Loh said: “I was just trying to get to every shot and send them back.

“It was exciting and exhausting, and possibly the most entertaining rally I’ve played at such a crucial point, and I’m glad I won and it contributed to the victory.”

The win was a good response to the disappointment from the tense and nervy loss to world No. 30 Frenchman Christo Popov in the round of 16 at last week’s Singapore Open, and Loh certainly came out looking like a different beast at the US$1.25 million (S$1.68 million) Indonesia Open.

He was less smiley, made no apologies for ruthless body shots, and unleashed a torrent of smashes to establish decisive 18-8 and 6-0 leads in the first and second game respectively.

Even when 2016 World Junior Championships silver medallist Wardoyo managed to save three match points to tie the second game at 20-20, Loh kept his composure, producing some excellent defence before prevailing.

Only when the match was over did he flash his boyish smile again and celebrate with a Speedy Gonzalez-like jig.

Loh said: “The celebration was instinctive and just for fun. He did it after he beat me at the Indonesia Masters here in January, so I just copied it.

“I think we both took it in good spirits on both occasions.”

Back to business mode, he added: “Obviously, there are a lot of points up for grabs for Olympic qualification at such a high-tiered event... But at the moment, in between matches, I really don’t want to think about too many things other than focus on what is immediately ahead of me.”

National singles coach Kelvin Ho shared that they have been working on improving his consistency on court.

He said: “Kean Yew can lose his control and tempo and allow opponent’s points to snowball at times.

“But today, he did well by creating and taking the opportunities at the start of each game, and managing the ups and downs after that, concentrating even while under pressure to win.

“He needs to maintain this confidence and focus on his own game first and then make the necessary on-court adjustments against his next opponent.”

In the women’s doubles, world No. 23 pair Jin Yujia and Crystal Wong lost 21-9, 21-8 to Thailand’s eighth-ranked Jongkolphan Kititharakul and Rawinda Prajongjai.

Simeon likes this.
  7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Loh Kean Yew: Singapore’s first badminton world champion

[​IMG]
    Photo: Twitter screengrab/Loh Kean Yew

July 2, 2023
    By The Independent

Singapore’s first badminton world champion Loh Kean Yew has captured the attention of the sporting world with his remarkable talent and determination. This article is a quick recap of everything he’s accomplished so far.

LOH KEAN YEW: EARLY YEARS

Born on 26 June 1997 in Penang, Malaysia, Loh Kean Yew started young, playing for the Penang state team and winning the 2009 National Junior Grand Prix Finals in the under-12 category.

After early success in Malaysia, Loh moved to Singapore at the age of 13 to attend Singapore Sports School’s four-year programme from 2010 to 2013 on a scholarship offered by the school.

He followed in the footsteps of his older brother Kean Hean who arrived in Singapore in 2009 and joined Montfort Secondary School. Kean Hean also represents Singapore in badminton and is a doubles specialist.

After graduating from Singapore Sports School, Loh Kean Yew studied Sports and Leisure Management at Republic Polytechnic before dropping out to become a professional player.

Loh became a Singapore citizen in 2015.

QUICK FACTS ABOUT LOH KEAN YEW

Full name: Loh Kean Yew
    Height: 1.75 metres

LOH KEAN YEW’S BADMINTON CAREER

[​IMG]
    Photo: For illustrative purposes only.

Singapore’s Loh Kean Yew celebrates beating India’s Srikanth Kidambi during the men’s singles final badminton match of the BWF World Championships in Huelva, on December 19, 2021. (Photo by JOSE JORDAN / AFP)

The talented Loh quickly made a name for himself in the highly competitive world of professional badminton. With his impressive skills, unwavering focus and relentless work ethic, he has become an inspiration to aspiring athletes around the globe.

Only 17, he represented Singapore at the 2015 SEA Games in Singapore and won a bronze in men’s singles.

He won the medal while serving the nation in another capacity, too.

Loh performed national service in the Singapore Armed Forces from 2016 to 2018.

The talented shuttler won the Singapore and Malaysia International tournaments in 2017.

He bagged another SEA Games medal when he won the men’s silver at the 2019 SEA Games in the Philippines.

In 2019, Loh Kean Yew achieved a significant breakthrough in his career when he clinched the men’s singles title at the Thailand Masters. This victory propelled him into the spotlight, showcasing his potential as a formidable competitor.

He also played in his first World Championships in 2019 but lost to Chinese Taipei’s Chou Tien-chen in the round of 16.

The rising young star finally reached the top spot in 2021 when Loh Kean Yew became the men’s singles world champion, winning the 2021 BWF World Championships in Huevla, Spain, at the age of 24. He is the first Singaporean to be the badminton world champion.

He continues to win medals.

Loh won the men’s singles silver medal in the Badminton Asia Championships in April 2023.

He also helped Singapore win the bronze in the men’s event in the 2023 SEA Games in Cambodia, where he lost to Indonesai’s Chico Aura Dwi Wardoyo in the singles.

Beyond his achievements on the court, Loh Kean Yew’s dedication and passion for badminton set an example for aspiring athletes to emulate. He consistently emphasises the importance of hard work, discipline, and a positive mindset in achieving success. His unwavering determination to push boundaries and overcome challenges is a testament to his character and has earned him admiration from fans worldwide.

At 25, Loh Kean Yew continues to evolve as a player and aims to elevate his game further. His relentless pursuit of excellence and his willingness to constantly push his limits demonstrate his commitment to personal growth and development. As he continues to compete at the highest level, badminton enthusiasts eagerly await his further exploits.

HERE’S RECENT NEWS ON LOH KEAN YEW THAT YOU MAY HAVE MISSED:
    Will the tide turn for Loh Kean Yew at Singapore Badminton Open?
    Asian Badminton Championships eludes Loh Kean Yew, changes focus to SEA Games and Sudirman Cup
    Loh Kean Yew goes from 7th to 4th in world badminton rankings after bagging silver medal at Asia Championships

8. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Loh Kean Yew mounts superb comeback to stun top seed and reach Korea Open final
    Down 4-12 in second game, Singapore shuttler pulls out all the stops to win epic battle against Japan's Kodai Naraoka
    [​IMG]
    Chia Han Keong

·Editor
    Updated Sat, 22 July 2023 at 6:41 pm SGT·2-min read
    [​IMG]
    Singapore shuttler Loh Kean Yew returns a shot against Japan's Kodai Naraoka at the 2023 Korea Open in Yeosu. (PHOTO: VCG/VCG via Getty Images)

SINGAPORE — All seemed lost for Loh Kean Yew when he slumped into a 4-12 hole in the second game of his Korea Open semi-final clash against world No.4 Kodai Naraoka on Saturday (22 July).

The former world champion, however, had other ideas. Launching a superb comeback, the Singapore shuttler roared into his second tournament final of the year with an epic 18-21, 21-16, 21-15 triumph over his Japanese rival at the Jinnam Stadium in Yeosu.

The nail-biting 80-minute battle ebbed and flowed as both shuttlers produced some scintillating shot-making to try and outwit each other. Top-seeded Naraoka, 22, seemed to have the match in the bag as he rattled off eight straight points to take a commanding second-game lead.

However, world No.8 Loh played a much more patient game thereafter and took whatever chances that came to him, and that turned the tide for the 26-year-old as he eventually subdued Naraoka, pumping his fists at the cameras after clinching the match point.

Loh thus advanced into his second final of the year, after the Badminton Asia Championships in April, when he lost to world No.2 Anthony Sinisuka Ginting at the final hurdle.

He will face Denmark's former world No.2 Anders Antonsen in Sunday's final. Antonsen defeated China's world No.6 Shi Yuqi 21-16, 24-22 in the other semi-final.

Loh began his Korea Open campaign by beating Malaysia's Leong Jun Hao 21-10, 21-14 in his opening round on Wednesday. In Thursday's round of 16, he faced a tough opponent in China's Zhao Junpeng, but managed to prevail in three games, 21-19, 17-21, 21-6.

On Friday, he avenged his 2022 Commonwealth Games loss to Ng Tze Yong, narrowly defeating the Malaysian 22-20, 21-19 in the quarter-finals to advance to his first semi-final in this season’s BWF World Tour.

9. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore’s Loh Kean Yew beats world No. 4 Naraoka, qualifies for Korea Open final
    [​IMG]
    Loh Kean Yew staged a comeback to beat Japan's world No. 4 Kodai Naraoka 18-21, 21-16, 21-15 in the semi-finals of the Korea Open. ST FILE PHOTO
    [​IMG]
    Kimberly Kwek
    UPDATED
    1 HOUR AGO

SINGAPORE – Loh Kean Yew overcame a tough challenge from Japan’s world No. 4 Kodai Naraoka on Saturday to book a spot in the final of the Korea Open, his first in this season’s Badminton World Federation World Tour.

Singapore’s world No. 8 was made to work hard for his 18-21, 21-16, 21-15 victory over a higher-ranked Naraoka in their 80-minute encounter, as he fought back from one game down to earn a title shot at the US$420,000 (S$558,000) tournament.

Loh said: “I’m happy to be in the final, I will keep on fighting and giving my all.

“I’ll just rest well and prepare myself to the fullest.”

The duo were neck and neck at the start, but with the score tied at 6-6, Naraoka pulled ahead to 14-10.

While Loh clinched the next four points to level at 14-14, unforced errors saw him lose the first game 21-18, despite saving two game points.

The start of the second game stood in stark contrast to the first, with Naraoka racing to a 12-4 lead.

But Loh dug deep to win the next four points before levelling at 15-15.

In a thrilling match punctuated by long rallies, the crucial moment came at 16-16 when Loh dived to save Naraoka’s shot before eventually winning the 30-shot rally.

There was no looking back from there, as he won the game 21-16 to force the decider.

Having just produced a remarkable comeback to rescue the second game, Loh returned to court with confidence as the crowd at the Jinnam Stadium in Yeosu chanted his name.

The 26-year-old went 4-3 up and held the lead throughout, but had to endure some nerve-racking moments as Naraoka tried to claw his way back into the contest.

In the end, the Singaporean claimed the third game 21-15 for a hard-fought victory.

National singles assistant coach Loh Wei Sheng said: “Kean Yew has performed well so far in the Korea Open. He has managed to execute what he trained for in Singapore.

“For the whole match, Kean Yew just focused on the process and didn’t think too much about the outcome.

“He showed more initiative and patience when he was 4-12 down and his fighting spirit was good.”

A win on Sunday will give Loh his first tour title since his victory at the world championships in 2021.

Since that feat, he has come close several times, but fell short in the India Open and SEA Games men’s singles finals in 2022, as well as the Asian championships in April.

A difficult period followed as he won just four out of nine matches in five tournaments before he took a month’s break to work on his game.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC
    Interactive: How Loh Kean Yew unleashes his winning smash
    Loh Kean Yew stays patient in solving badminton puzzle

But to end his title drought, Loh will have to overcome 16th-ranked Anders Antonsen, after the Dane beat China’s world No. 6 Shi Yuqi 21-16, 24-22 in the other semi-final.

Their head-to-head record stands at 1-1, with Antonsen winning their last encounter at the 2022 All England Open (21-15, 18-21, 21-13).

After struggling with injuries in 2022, Antonsen has been in good form this season, posting three top-three finishes in 10 tournaments.

Singapore Badminton Association technical director Martin Andrew said: “Expectations heading into the final tomorrow are for Kean Yew to maintain his patience and attack.

“He will need to be good around the front court against Anders, while he also needs to be able to cope with Anders’ attacking variation.

“Anders is a former world No. 2 prior to a few injuries, so competing against him is never easy.

“He’s had a good run of results recently so it will be a strong challenge.”

10. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore’s Loh Kean Yew badminton champion is more interesting than you might think, things you should know
    5 things you should know about Singapore's Loh Kean Yew badminton champion (theindependent.sg)

[​IMG]
    ByThe Independent
    JULY 9, 2023[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The 2021 world badminton champion Loh Kean Yew of Singapore is one of the reigning talents on the court, but how did he rise to the top? Let’s look at the decisions he took, his family background, his friends and his sportsmanship that made him a star admired by fans and rivals alike.
    • Loh Kean Yew was born in Malaysia
    Loh Kean Yew, born in Malaysia, embarked on the road to fame after graduating from Singapore Sports School. He was already competing in badminton tournaments even before he joined the school. He was offered a scholarship by the school after he won the Malaysian nationals in the under-12 category. He continued his education at Republic Polytechnic (RP), studying Sports and Leisure Management. In 2015, Loh officially became a Singaporean citizen.
    • Soared high despite his late start in professional badminton
    [​IMG]
    This handout photo taken and released on November 27, 2021 by the Badminton Association of Indonesia shows Singapore’s
    Loh Kean Yew hitting a return against Denmark’s Rasmus Gemke during the men’s singles semi-final badminton match at the Indonesia Open in Nusa Dua on the resort island of Bali. (Photo by – / Badminton Association of Indonesia / AFP) /
    Unlike many professional badminton players who start training at a young age, Loh Kean Yew began his serious full-time badminton training in his late teens, at 18. Despite the late start, he soared to the top.

Following his graduation from Singapore Sports School, Loh Kean Yew pursued further education at Republic Polytechnic (RP). During this time, in 2015, the Malaysian-born Loh obtained Singapore citizenship, solidifying his ties to the country.

At the age of 18, he made a significant decision that surprised his family. Loh expressed his desire to discontinue his studies and pursue a professional career in badminton. His mother was initially shocked, concerned about his giving up his studies. But she had faith in him, recognising his maturity, discipline and unwavering determination. Consequently, Loh dropped out of Republic Polytechnic after completing a year of study to pursue his badminton dreams.

Loh Kean Yew maintains a good relationship with his rivals
    Loh goes beyond fierce competition to foster meaningful relationships with his rivals. Known for his sportsmanship, Loh has maintained rapport with fellow players, including his rival Zia Jia, whom he has praised and complimented on numerous occasions.

His friendship with Viktor Axelsen extends beyond the court. Axelsen’s daughter endearingly calls him “Uncle. Loh’s ability to form strong bonds with his rivals showcases the camaraderie and mutual respect that exists within the badminton community.

• Loh Kean Yew’s brother plays badminton as well
    Loh Kean Yew’s older brother, Kean Hean, shares his passion for badminton and is also a member of the Singapore national badminton team.

Loh recalls that he was introduced to the game at the tender age of four when he began playing badminton at the gate of his house, accompanied by his brothers and their neighbour. This early initiation laid the foundation for his love for the game and eventual success.

• Loh Kean Yew and Viktor Axelsen are rivals, yet training buddies
    [​IMG]
    Twitter screengrab/@ViktorAxelsen
    Viktor Axelsen, the 28-year-old badminton sensation, has consistently outshone his peers since his breakthrough as the first European to capture the World Junior Champion title at the age of 16 in 2010. From claiming the world champion and world number 1 titles in 2017 to a triumphant return after injuries to secure the 2020 Olympic gold in Tokyo, Axelsen’s dominance has been unrivalled.

In 2021, Axelsen made waves in the badminton world by announcing his departure from the Danish badminton team’s training base, opting to pursue independent training in Dubai. However, in the absence of sparring partners in Dubai, Viktor Axelsen took an innovative approach by assembling his own globalised “team” based on personal chemistry and the desire for challenging competition. With the support of the Singapore Badminton Association, Loh Kean Yew was among the first to receive and embrace Axelsen’s invitation.

Loh and Axelsen’s unique relationship as both competitors and training partners has emerged as a standout dynamic in the sport of badminton. The two have developed a good relationship outside the game.

Dubbed “Uncle Loh” by Viktor Axelsen’s daughter, Loh is more than Axelsen’s training buddy. Their relationship has evolved into a genuine friendship characterised by playful banter exchanged on social media.

This unique camaraderie between Loh and Axelsen, often referred to as a “bromance,” has captivated badminton enthusiasts and the media alike, raising intriguing questions about the possibility of sporting rivals forging deep friendships.

11. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Loh Kean Yew reveals he married his mystery girlfriend early this year
    Loh Kean Yew reveals he married his mystery girlfriend early this year (msn.com)

ByAnna Maria Romero
    DECEMBER 26, 2023[​IMG]

SINGAPORE: Top badminton player Loh Kean Yew unveiled a double whammy of surprises on his Instagram account over the holiday weekend that may have broken the hearts of some female fans. On Dec 24, he revealed that it had been one year since he had engaged.

But the real shocker came on Christmas Day when Loh wrote that he and his lady are “Celebrating our ROM Anniversary in about 2 months .” And whom did Loh marry? Nobody knows. Perhaps the shuttler wants to keep this aspect of his life private.

While the posts show photos of his fiancée and, later, his bride, her back is either turned away from the camera or pictures are taken from far away. However, there may be a hint in the hashtag to his engagement post. But he doesn’t mention or tag her name in the photos, so we suppose her identity will remain a secret.

In the Dec 24 post, Loh chose the iconic Marina Bay Sands as the background for his proposal, and he’s seen in a suit holding a young woman in a strapless red dress in his arms. He captioned, “Last year today, she said yes #jiayew.”

[​IMG]

Other photos show the badminton player getting down on one knee in a classic proposal pose. He holds one of his lady’s hands while a jewellery box is in his other hand. Meanwhile, she smiles from ear to ear and has a gigantic bouquet in her arms.

For the Dec 25 post, Loh wrote, “This festive season is extra special, I believe that to go far, one must go together. Here’s to new beginnings and to becoming a better self. I would like to take this moment to spread some love and kindness, wishing you the best of times with your family and loved ones ”

[​IMG]

The pictures he posted were taken at Musée Rodin in Paris, with Loh in a Hugo Boss suit and his bride in a light pink gown with a cascading train from luxury bridal and evening wear designer Millia London.

Congratulations have since poured in on Loh’s IG posts, including from fellow badminton players such as world number 1 Danish player Viktor Axelsen, who is Loh’s good friend, and Malaysia’s Lee Zii Jia.

See also Loh Kean Yew's valiant display falls short against Viktor Axelsen at China Open
    The ROM occurred in February; Mothership reported on Dec 26 and confirmed that the marriage had been registered in Singapore.

Congratulations to the happy couple! The Independent Singapore wishes you a long and happy life together. /TISG

Read also: Singapore’s Loh Kean Yew badminton champion is more interesting than you might think, things you should know

#191 Loh, Dec 26, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
  12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    My friend said give him 2 years to win something after WC. I am still waiting after 3 years. Now, he is married. Is there hope to win at least a s750 above?

Just look at the dissappointed comments on his FB. Nothing is working in terms of his mentality, his coach, and the whole lot. Infact, the BA President should be sacked. After 3 years and nothing. How long more can his fans endure? lol

13. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

His WC victory is why we have a high expectation for him to win more titles.
    I felt he happened to play extremely well (or as the Chinese said, 开挂) when he won the WC, playing without pressure when people expect him to go home after 1 day when he was draw to meet Victor in round 1.
    He did made a couple of finals since then.
    I don't rank him in the top 4. In my opinion, he is considered to do well if he reach the final 8 of the big tournaments.

upload_2024-3-23_16-18-37.png

14. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

Spain Masters final tomorrow.

See if LKY can withstand the pressure and defeat Toma Popov.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Singapore’s Loh Kean Yew ends title drought with Madrid Spain Masters win over Toma Junior Popov
    Singapore’s Loh Kean Yew ends title drought with Madrid Spain Masters win over Toma Junior Popov | The Straits Times
    [​IMG]
    Singapore's Loh Kean Yew defeated Toma Junior Popov of France 21-11, 15-21, 22-20 to win the Madrid Spain Masters men's singles title. PHOTO: EPA-EFE
    [​IMG]
    David Lee
    Sports Correspondent
    UPDATED

MAR 31, 2024, 08:09 PM

FacebookTelegram

SINGAPORE – Loh Kean Yew’s 833-day wait for a follow-up triumph to his 2021 badminton world title has ended.

On March 31, the world No. 11 beat 25th-ranked Toma Junior Popov of France 21-11, 15-21, 22-20 in the Madrid Spain Masters men’s singles final at the Centro Deportivo Municipal Gallur for his third Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Tour crown.

The US$210,000 (S$283,000) event is on the fifth tier of the BWF World Tour, behind the World Tour Finals, Super 1000, Super 750 and Super 500 events.

Including major games and lower-tier international tournaments, this is Loh’s ninth win in 20 finals.

In the earlier rounds in Madrid, he had beaten Chinese Taipei’s world No. 60 Huang Yu-kai, Popov’s younger brother Christo (21st), Denmark’s Mads Christophersen (55th) and another Taiwanese Wang Tzu-wei (24th).

Loh was at his explosive best at the start of the final, unleashing smashes of over 400 kmh, executing skilful changes in pace and direction, and displaying cat-like reflexes while defending to dominate an opponent he had overcome in all four previous encounters as he took the opener in just 14 minutes.

But, despite more than seven hours on court in Madrid, as he also reached the men’s doubles semi-final with Christo, Toma showed the resolve that led him to win all of his previous 12 men’s singles finals at senior level. Maximising his 1.96m frame, the 25-year-old unleashed his own booming shots to level the tie as Loh struggled with the drift in the second game.

Loh looked nervy in the decider at first with an unsuccessful challenge, but found his range with a 461kmh smash and delicate dropshots to lead 11-7 at the interval. Despite a defiant fightback from Toma, pegging back to 19-19 and 20-20, the Singaporean kept his nerve in the mid-court battles to secure the elusive win, before sliding on his knees and roaring in relief and elation.

The victory, which comes with a US$15,750 prize money, will also bring Loh 7,000 points that will help him improve his world ranking. This could help him secure seeding at the Paris 2024 Olympics.

The 26-year-old’s first BWF World Tour title was at the 2019 Thailand Masters, a Super 300 event in which he memorably beat Chinese legend Lin Dan in the final. He then won his first Super 500 event at the 2021 Hylo Open in Germany.

Interestingly, Spain was where he became world champion on Dec 19, 2021 in Huelva, and he had to wait for a return to Iberia to win his next title after losing in five finals in the last 27 months.

Loh and his compatriots will now prepare for the April 9-14 Badminton Asia Championships in Ningbo, China.

In the first round, 2023 finalist Loh will meet Japan’s Kenta Nishimoto, while Yeo Jia Min plays Thailand’s Pornpawee Chochuwong in the women’s singles, and Terry Hee and Jessica Tan take on Taiwanese Chang Ko-chi and Lee Chih-chen in the mixed doubles.

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Being 'brave' pays off: Singapore's Loh Kean Yew ends two-year title drought
    Singapore's Loh Kean Yew claimed his first Badminton World Federation (BWF) title in more than two years after beating France's Toma Junior Popov to win the Spain Masters.
    Being 'brave' pays off: Singapore's Loh Kean Yew ends two-year title drought (channelnewsasia.com)
    [​IMG]
    Singapore badminton player Loh Kean Yew poses for a picture after his victory in the Spain Masters on Mar 31, 2024. (Photo: Facebook/Singapore Badminton Association)

Listen to this article
    4 min
    This audio is generated by an AI tool.

[​IMG]
    Matthew Mohan
    @MatthewMohanCNA
    31 Mar 2024 09:51PM(Updated: 01 Apr 2024 12:41AM)
    Bookmark
    WhatsAppTelegramFacebookTwitterEmailLinkedIn

SINGAPORE: As the clock ticked on and his opponent gained a foothold in the men's singles final of the Spain Masters, Singapore badminton player Loh Kean Yew told himself that he needed to be brave.

Down 19-18 in the third set against France's Toma Junior Popov, Loh dug deep to wrestle back control of the match.

"If you're not brave then you'll be passive, and you'll start to be slower," he told CNA after winning the title in Madrid on Sunday (Mar 31).

The Singaporean, who is ranked 11th in the world, took the tie 21-11, 15-21, 22-20.

This was more than just a routine win – it was Loh's first title since the 2021 World Championships.

Related:
    [​IMG]
    Badminton: Singapore's Loh Kean Yew wins Spain Masters, first title since 2021 World Championships
    [​IMG]
    IN FOCUS: From determined teen to badminton world champion - Loh Kean Yew's journey to the top
    "I'm happy that I can finally get a title again," said Loh. "I'm just happy."

It has been a tough few years for the 26-year-old, dealing with the pressure of a world title win and the weight of expectations
    Since that momentous win in 2021, he has struggled in tournaments to take that final step to the top.

"Even if people don't say anything, I have my own expectations. Which athlete doesn't want to win?" he said.

"Whether it is pressure from others or myself, I obviously have that (pressure)."

DEALING WITH ISSUES
    Before Madrid, Loh last won a tournament at the World Championships in December 2021, when he went on a fairytale run and upset a number of higher-ranked players, including Olympic champion Viktor Axelsen.

He is the only Singaporean to win a BWF World Championships title.

The 26-year-old made it to the finals of the Korea Open in July 2023 and the Thailand Masters in February 2024, but fell to Denmark's Anders Antonsen and Chinese Taipei's Chou Tien-chen respectively.

"Some parts were about trying to cope with the pressure, some parts were about trying to work on the consistency," Loh explained.

"Some parts were about trying to find myself, some parts were about trying to find confidence. There was a lot going on.

"It's not so straightforward that you lose today and you work on something and you win the next day."

Next up for Loh will be the Badminton Asia Championships in April, and the Singaporean will compete in the Paris Olympics later this year.

As these new challenges await, he will need to stick to his mantra and once again, be brave.

"I'm very, very thankful for the fans and supporters that have always been supporting me. This will never change," he said.

"There were a lot who were always still cheering me up and encouraging me to do better."

LEADERS CONGRATULATE LOH
    In a Facebook post, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong congratulated Loh on his hard-fought win.

"It has been an 883-day wait since Kean Yew’s last title, but the world number 11 has flown our flag high with his grit and perseverance. Keep up the amazing work! We are all proud of you," he said.

President Tharman Shanmugaratnam wrote in an Instagram post: "He ... had the mental strength of a winner, when nerves were what mattered.

"Those of us who watched the game live on TV were literally at the edge of our seats when the score was tied at 20-20 in the final set - before he sealed it at 22-20."

He added: "Competing at the top is extremely difficult. Kean Yew has managed his emotions, taken lessons from each setback, and believed in himself.

"So today’s victory - which he marked with his clenched fists - was all the more sweet. For Kean Yew and for Team Singapore."

Source: CNA/mt(mi)

lodoss likes this.