LIN DAN got wild card

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by sportstar, May 8, 2013.

1. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Blame it all on LYB :D

he's the one that make us wait for the next LD-CW show :D

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

It comes back to the fundamental question of what is the world championship without all the best players competing and that certainly includes the defending champion; commercial reason is only one aspect of it. During the Sudirman Cup, both Morten Frost and GC commented on Lin Dan's wild card and they are all for it simply because everybody (almost) wants to see Lin Dan play and Lee CW should prove he can win it by beating him and the rest.

Even if it's for purely commercial reasons, it's fully justifiable for such a huge interest and big draw as Lin Dan is and for that alone which organization or sponsors won't want to grab him?! And how can BWF or any organization for that matter meet their objectives in the development,popularization and promotion of the sport without sufficient funding? In the end, the largest beneficiary is badminton per se, not so much Lin Dan himself who can reject the offer or retire if he wanted to but fortunately he accepted it. Lin Dan by virtue of his immense contributions and achievements in the sport and for being its iconic figure absolutely deserves it, this reason alone suffices.

Finally, thanks to Cheung who started that poll on "Lin Dan's wild card:Yes or No?", the vote result so far is telling , isn't it? About 75%, a resounding 'Yes' ! Just a wild card for Lin Dan to compete like all the other contestants, not direct entry to the final, yet some people are so sore about it when it's clearly shown their arguments against it have no leg to stand on and they still persist in arguing from a position of weakness. As a few have rightly pointed out, their opposition is to Lin Dan actually, not the wild card itself for BAM as host in WC2007 issued five to themselves without a murmur of protest from anyone. To me there's really no need for further debate as practically all the grounds for and against it have been more than adequately covered and the conclusion as clear as daylight.:)

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    All events have sponsors. That is no excuse. ;)

In every pro sport, the custodians and the main sponsors have to find a happy medium. But the common thread you will notice with pro sports that have actually risen to the top in terms of TRPs and prime-time slots, global following and brand-recognition, are the ones where the custodians have grown a spine, and have a well-defined and well-enforced set of regulations, and where they take active steps to promote the sport and keep it ahead of other encroaching sports. By comparison, BWF has been operating like a mom-and-pop store. And naturally, subject to the pressures that go with it.

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

thierry-henry-hand_1526268c.jpg
    ... 15 characters ...
    foot_hand_henry_141702g.jpg

#264 demolidor, May 26, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2013
  5. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Haha after a few minutes only i understand the cartoon :D

here's LD version:

"the world loves me so much even when i am hanging my racket,

they still wants me to play and give me a don't know what called a wild card

something like a no sweat confirm qualify back door entry hahaha.

Also i must thank LYB for once again making magic arrangement

and last but not least my loyal never die supporters across all forum all nation

for those nice write up defending my face and my reputation.

Thank you again .. Seah seah talima kasih"

6. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Having LD in the WC is very fine with me. As said Frost in the recent SC, if LD does not qualify for a wild card, who does?
    But I think the CHN team should take out one of its MS for LD to take the spot. Otherwise, it is too much good CHN players!

7. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Don't know why having too many good players is an crime and should be punished if not even rewarded? :D

Isn't the spirit of sports is to encourage excellence and challenges? :)

Remember this is a World Championship! If this is a city open, I don't mind to limit any good or professional players' participation.

8. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

With this sentiment, China badminton team may have to do something to make the ROW happy like what their table-tennis team did in the TT WC last month, purposely send only their much weaker players/pairs (maybe their 6th, 7th or lower) to MD and XD and let the ROW to enjoy the gold medals in these 2 categories and make them happy.

Is this really good for the sport? Is this what we really want for a sport's advancement?

This is what really called putting a sport under China's mercy!

9. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

I will also recommend the mods to close all threads relate to LD's wild cards.

People are not really discussing based on facts and legitimate reasoning. just repeating "unfair", "China too strong", "LD didn't play for 8 months"... which if you put to test in a court, it will never be considered as a logical and sensible reasoning on this wild card issue considering all the facts and rules in place.

Why not the objectors put it to a sports court for a ruling?!

10. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Most of bcers readers have no objection towards LD getting the wild card.

they know its purely commercial reason from the organizer and BWF.

As for promoting sports they need to do something

otherwise its like going to a supermarket

where you only find china made canned food :D

11. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

12. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

What's wrong with taking commercial reason to make a sports prosperous? Isn't this how NBA, soccer, tennis, golf and even now the Olympics been promoted to be the most popular sports events? They will not be so successful if not used to be fed mostly on USA's canned food (business sponsors).

Now 3 of the 4 major BWF sponsors are Chinese business. And why our badminton fans are so much of a narrow-minded "purist"? ... and treated such as "canned food"... Wherever they come from, we should be grateful they are still such business willing to bet on badminton. This is better than just playing god and promoting hatred and differentiation....

Of course we hope there should be more business from many other countries to give support to badminton... Competition with these Chinese business will always be welcome as it means more support to the sports, more prize money to support the players...

doing better than just saying....

13. weiping_tx

weiping_tx Regular Member

researcher
    From a badminton fan's point of view, I think most BCers have no objection toward LD's wild card because they want to watch this legendary player play, and play in this prestigious tournament. I will miss LCW in world championship 2014 if he stops playing then. Attracting more fans, and more attention to this sport, isn't this good for promoting badminton sport?

#273 weiping_tx, May 30, 2013
    Last edited: May 30, 2013
  14. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    pBm/Jonc108,
    You 2 touch on canned foods...food from CHN I keep my thoughts silent to myself;)
    I share an event to you both...I bought a Black and Decker hammer drill for $99 in 1980 the year I graduated and that drilll faithfully served me for 30+ years, not bad.
    I was installing hardwood in my house when my faithful drill died in my hands:crying:
    I went to LOWE (hardware store) and bought a Porter & Cable 6.5A drill for $49, more powerful than my B&D drill and finished the flooring. The drill made in CHN, thanks God for CHN, cheaper and better and way more power just like LD jump smash:D:p
    On LD getting wild thingie, why not? WC w/o LD is like ordering Bento without the tempora shrimps:D

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
  16. laonong

laonong Regular Member

17. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Using analogy can sometimes be confusing to readers :p

when I mentioned chinese canned food
    obviously I didn't mean chinese players are canned food etc etc
    it was to compare majority of players
    using china big canned food export!
    Having said that, if a reader takes the canned food
    as players (which I didn't mean of course)
    what would be the confusion if I was saying
    some readers do worship LD like god.
    would he thinks it means taking the joss sticks
    three times a day and bow to a poster of him?
    Certainly I hope not but who knows :D

18. sen

sen Regular Member

19. sen

sen Regular Member

20. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach