LIN DAN got wild card

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by sportstar, May 8, 2013.

1. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Not only handsome but sexy :D

Really smart guy, taking 8 months

and make tons of money without even a sweat

while CW still sweats like hell making peanuts lol :D

Now that he's got the wild card does it mean he will play in WC 13?

if he can't get his fitness level by then,

don't think he will play.

He's just too smart for that :D

So by then those cold water syndrome, flu etc etc pop up ....

don't be surprise :D

2. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Don't worry, i just won't. :D

3. ting_ht

ting_ht Regular Member

It all depends if LD can find the motivation to do it. However, I believe CL will be too strong for him and LCW this time. Also, WZM and DPY have the chance to win it as well if they can get into the final somehow.

4. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    There's no denying that CL could beat both CW and LD come WC 13,

could it be LD to play side winger to him this time?

As a last favor for foxy YB :D

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

You left out "under the regulations" :rolleyes: ... ;) (normally wilcards by host organizers are used on young talents, like 4 out of 5 here and a farewell to Roslin probably, but maybe you can dig up some more completely irrelevant tennis examples [​IMG])

#245 demolidor, May 24, 2013
    Last edited: May 24, 2013
  6. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Nice information. How about the wild cards awarded by BWF? What is the regulations for that?

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

The rules have clearly changed since then. I just came across one of your earlier post and in this years tournament China, as the organizer, were only entitled to wildcards in the events where they have no players qualified at all (but this of course is not the case since they have players quallifed in all 5 events so no wildcards for them).

As for BWF wildcard: they can give one wildcard in each event so there is nothing wrong technically with this wildcard for LD and commercially sensible ... (but should you reward him with this wildcard when he has skipped all his Super Series duties to promote badminton this year? I guess the World Championships is considered such a big stage they look past this neglecting of his duties ..., perhaps especially because it is held in China this year.
    They just broadcast table tennis World Championships on Eurosport in Europe last week(s) but I very much doubt the badminton WC will be shown so how big is the media coverage for badminton anyway? Now that I think of it, it was probably because it was in Paris where Eurosport HQ is, think they also showed badminton back in 2010 but only on Eurosport in France)

#247 demolidor, May 24, 2013
  8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    One of the most sensible posts so far on this thread!

Re the televising of the WC etc, I won't be holding my breath despite all the fanfare the outgoing BWF chairman and attendant staff announced their deal with IMG with. SC coverage was a HUGE letdown, and I fully expect much more of the same. Only so many programming minutes to a day, and the other sports aren't about to let their ratings drop.

9. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    So NORMALLY wildcards are used for young talent, except for Roslin. Do you not see how this sentence refutes the point you are trying to make against LD?:mad: PROBABLY not!:D I could just as easily say this might PROBABLY be a farewell to Lin Dan!:eek: You are also normally supposed to serve at the waist, but today your waist has almost become your chest, is that normal?:mad: What is normal and who defines it?:confused:

The fact is there is nothing wrong with LD receiving a BWF wild card from a historic or merit perspective and makes complete entertainment and economic sense.:p The majority of normal badminton fans want to see LD in the WC and you should too!:) So since you are against LD participation in the upcoming WC, you are PROBABLY not NORMAL!:p:rolleyes:

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Do you have problems reading :D (it must be much easier to click the colourfull pictures :p)? Maybe you should read about Roslin during that period ... and those wildcards were handed by the organizers to do with as they will, not BWF.
    "People" say Lin Dan won't be fit so LCW will have a "great" opportunity to win a WC with LD present, and those same people will say LCW won a WC when LD was not fit later on -.- (should it happen).
    Why would I not want Lin Dan to play in a WC? You are not even reading which part I am questioning of the wildcard being handed out. I also don't know what you are bringing irrelevant discussions about serve height into the discussion *click colourfull picture* :rolleyes:

Wilcards are not even in regular use in badminton so there is no "normal", I was referring to actual sports.

But "people" have a habit of letting things slide when hero worshiping in general is involved so no surprises here either ...

#250 demolidor, May 24, 2013
  11. well-son

well-son Regular Member

Oops, this issue is going on and on...

I don't know much about BWF regulations regarding the wild card.
    However, the bottom line (as many have pointed out) is MOST of the badminton fans around the world are want the best players playing in the World Championship.
    Besides, I think LD has the ''right" to defend his title.

At this point we can summarize:
    - the host country needs LD to attract more spectators.
    - most of badminton lovers want LD inclusion just to make the WC more attractive and valuable.
    - LCW himself and other hot contenders "need" LD in case if he wins there will be no debate that he wins in the absent of LD (maybe some ignore this now, but when the time is coming, there will be arguments and debates forever).
    - the wild card is given by BWF meaning the decision is within the rule.

I know BWF often makes controversy decisions for many times (that's why I dont like the ruling body very much), but I think this time BWF makes the right decision.

Just my 2c, no more no less...

12. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    Yes, because your argument refutes itself, but your nation worshiping is clouding your mind. You cannot say wildcards are for the young except this one case, and then criticize someone else for also having this one case. Yes, Lin Dan did skip his commitments and he also has won 4 WC and 2 Olympics which you always conveniently seem to leave this out as if he had no merit to a wildcard.:p

Again how am I to make sense of these two contradictory statements? One says normally wildcards are use for this and then another statement wildcard are not in regular use so there is no "normal". You cannot argue something is normally this and then another sentence say there is no normal, then on what basis are we talking about? If I have a reading problem it is because you constantly argue with these contradictions.:p

If there is no normal wildcard procedure like you say, then how do you justify BAM and LCW comments as being anything but hypocritical when their side have also received wildcards in the past?:confused:

EXTRA: The best is you said “I was referring to actual sports", a lot of people could easily interpret that to mean you think badminton isn't an actual sport.:)

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think you are reading too much into the issue. If I am reading correctly, demolidor is using the word "Normally" as meaning "Usually (but not exclusively)" - not "Normally" as meaning "A standard practice to be adhered to...."

14. gheri

gheri Regular Member

sport massage therapist - osteopathy
    very unfair to other players

15. RedShuttle

RedShuttle Regular Member

Wildcards are often used on younger talents only because older and more established players usually qualify on their own and don't need wildcards.

Wildcards are designed to provide a tool to the organizers to spice up the show, to increase the interest. Their first choices would naturally be those who can draw the interest, who can draw the crowd.

That means star players who for whatever reason did not qualify on their own. But if they already qualify, as usually the case, the wildcards would be used on the younger players.

#255 RedShuttle, May 25, 2013
    Last edited: May 25, 2013
  16. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    There's another as yet unexplored angle to all of this.

It's possible that this may be LD's last year of competitive play and this may have been "informally" communicated to a few people behind closed doors. And so, naturally, everyone will want him to be participating in the WC, each group for their own reasons.

While it will certainly be good to see LD play at the WC this year, I'd be more interested in seeing if live streaming will be provided to all regions/countries by BWF. If not, then all of this will be a waste of time.

17. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Probably 99.99% of Badminton followers won't be able to travel to China to watch

That's for sure.

Probably 99.99% of Badminton followers won't be able to travel to China to watch these 2013 World Championships matches live.

Let's see what BWF can do for these 99.99%. :):):)

BTW, Taufik Hidayat could be participating too; cxytdn has just posted this thread :
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/127553-Qualifiers-list-phase-iii

18. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Very reasonable post!

19. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Of course except the "whatever reason" in this case is AWOL ;) (not retirement or injuries). And we are talking about regular (commercial) tournaments not world championships or olympic games. Frankly it's more ridiculous the more I think about it: wildcards to a world championship :D (purely for commercial reasons)

Wildcard to Wimbledon, sure. Wildcard to the China Masters, sure. World Championships? Errm ....

20. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I don't know about world championships for other sports, but BWF World Championship do have many commercial sponsorship deals. BWF do have to make the sponsors happy.