Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

2. Ludwik

Ludwik Regular Member

Hope they make a retirement vzf2 or ld force racket for lin dan hehe. Just like peter gade's and taufik's

3. renbo

renbo Regular Member

LD's next step : go independent!

It would be fitting for him, with his fame and guts, to do it! Just like LHI, but better of course, going as well for the big tourneys.

4. Nine Tailed Fox

As accurately reported by @Nine Tailed Fox

Lin Dan will play his last tournament at the Yonex All England Championship in 2017. The Superstar shuttler has not registered for his hometown Superseries Premier tournament.

Lin Dan, meanwhile is representing Beijing in an exhibition tournament currently going on.

5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

LCW said he might even play till 2020 Olympics. What happened to LD's statement that he will play if LCW does?! Will he come back if LCW really plays?

6. Nine Tailed Fox

Lin Dan is not in XXZ's plan for the Sudirman cup. That says a lot.

7. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

How do you even know all that stuff? Do you speak Mandarin suddenly? ;)

8. Nine Tailed Fox

That he won't play again this year, i came to know two weeks after Olympics on a fan group.

Lin Dan continuing in 2017 will halt the development of all the younger players. It's not the same case as LCW where he can go on and play till 80.

Remember, Tian Houwei hasn't played a single Major tournament due to Lin Dan's extended run after London Olympics.

9. soami

soami Regular Member

Its time for him to retire. Its tough for his fans to take a beating like 21-4. Whats next 21-0 ?!

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You worry too much or over-think. Lin Dan's carrying on after London 2012 is a bhuge bonus for us fans, and since then, the last few years, he's added another WC crown in 2013, another Asian Games individual gold medal in 2014 and another All England title in 2016 to his already overflowing list of prestigious achievements , major and minor. As such, losing a set 21-4 or even 21-0, highly improbable, is no big deal, a small, nay, tiny price to pay.

I mean, if Lee CW is told he has to lose 21-4 or 21-0 in order to get one WC or AG title, he would jump at it. After all, he , at age 26, had lost 21-12 and 21-8 to Lin Dan at Beijing'08 before, what's the problem ?

As an aside, I've a strong feeling Lin Dan is seriously planning to retire, taking another long break and choosing to play a particular tournament after that is an indication it's a swan song event for him. If he decides to go out with a bang and not a whimper, I hope he wins the All England 2017 for the 7th time, a veritable phenomenal feat for a 34-year-old to call it quits on a high. Frankly, when badminton these few years is no longer his top priority in life, his family comes first he declared, he's more or less done what we could wish for under the circumstances, what with waning motivation, age catching up, past his prime, not training as hard as in his younger days, being constantly distracted by various commercial activities and leading a celebrity lifestyle.

As it is , the max quota of only two Olympic spots per discipline per NOC has caused , upon his decision to return,the premature retirement of Du Pengyu, let alone other younger teammates being crowded out of Olympic qualification, specifically Tian Houwei and Wang Zhengming, I think it's not a bad idea for him to make way for others, particularly the younger cohort in the CHN camp.

Even so, I don't think he'll cut himself off totally from badminton, most likely he'll still be involved in badminton-related activities, not as a coach though as he's expressed no interests whatsoever, maybe play in the professional leagues domestically and overseas, or even set one up or improve on and upgrade an existing one by getting heavily invested in it. I wonder if he'll start up his own badminton academy and, better still, rope in some former greats to join in, such as Zhao Jianhua, Sun Jun, Xiong Guobao (and also give Du Pengyu a job),I can well imagine what a roaring success it'll be attracting enthusiasts, amateurs and professionals from all over the world like bees to honey. Looks like I've hit on a great idea for him.:):D

11. Nine Tailed Fox

Retired man Lin Dan defeats Wang Zhengming 21-14, 16-21 21-16 as Beijing roasts Guangdong 3-1.

14572984_1195675393825501_4225457957165092003_n.jpg

12. renbo

renbo Regular Member

The club league do not use the new format of 5 games 11 points?

13. phorge

phorge Regular Member

On his way to become a father.

CuP2OIPVYAARpJZ.jpg

visor, Nine Tailed Fox and Justin L like this.
  14. Ludwik

Ludwik Regular Member

Oh nice. Lin dan 2.0 already made. Haha

15. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I guess many LD fans will travel to All England to watch his last tournament.

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Marvelous, joyful news. That explains why he's taking a break and mulling retirement , to spend more time with his wife and coming baby; once the firstborn arrives, Lin Dan's retirement from active competition is for sure.

17. Nine Tailed Fox

Beijing captain Lin Dan looks fit and happy again

Thrashes a Chinese rookie 17-21 21-17 21-12.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

-trashes
    -needs 3 games
    Pick one.

19. R4yZ0r

R4yZ0r Regular Member

Student
    I reckon he'll probably call it quits after a win at AE or China National Games next year.

#7899 R4yZ0r, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  20. Nine Tailed Fox

Another day Another thrashing !!!

Lin Dan thrashes Gao Huan but saves match points in the process 17-21 21-17 24-22.

[​IMG]