Li Xuerui ( 李雪芮 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by cobalt, Nov 4, 2011.

1. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    After almost 600 days, she is coming back, Lingshui, China, April 10.

2. spidey

spidey Regular Member

freelance
    great news

3. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    She had problems with her health didn't she? Was struggling to play at a high level if I remember rightly, or am I completely mistaken here?

Either way, do we know if this is an honorary Yonex Legends style comeback, or a real push at the competitive scene?

4. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    She was injured during the semifinals match against CM, the gold medalist and missed the bronze match against NO in 2016 Olympic.

5. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I could've sworn she had some other issue. Maybe I'm mistaking her for another player.

6. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    wasn't it an ACL tear? thats very nasty, social media did convey some knee surgery but that was around olympics.

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It's all in here guys, just do a bit of reading. Hint: Start at post #977.

Sad as it may be, I don't think we will see her back at top level competitive badminton again. :(

8. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    We'll have to see how she does. She might not be an OG again, but she might still be a good SS/IC player.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Frankly, I'm not too hopeful either. An injury comeback after about one year and six months, I believe and should expect it to be fraught with difficulties and challenges, what's more she's no longer young at 27 now, born 24th Jan 1991, unlike Kento Momota who wasn't due to injury for the imposed on eyear break and he's still relatively young at 23, even then his comeback isn't smooth at the highest level, to say the least.

For a start, she will be out of tournament practice and not match-fit, and showing signs of rustiness and inconsistency, perhaps even struggling with lack of fitness and stamina now and then. It will require tremendous willpower and determination to keep going and defy the odds. Let's see if she's made of sterner stuff.

All the best to Li Xuerui . Jiayou !

#1209 Justin L, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://k.sina.com.cn/article_1272086304_4bd27f20001006863.html?from=sports&subch=badminton dated 8th April 2018

[​IMG]

Li Xuerui posted on her weibo (microblog) two days before setting off for the Lingsui Masters WTS100 tournament:" Hey...I am ready."

Incidentally, as of 8th April when she posted the above, she has 'disappeared' for 597 days since her injury at Rio'16. Her weibo message triggered much attention and discussion from netizens. Some responded online: Finally waited for you. China's WD ace, Huang Yaqiong, showed her support " Jiayou ~ Li Xuerui" and WS Gao Fangjie who was teased by LXR's roommates for being LXR's lookalike cheered her on " Await your triumphant return !"

[​IMG]
    Li Xuerui's luggage and kitbag before she set off for Lingsui

The author once in a badminton magazine's Q & A segment asked Li Xuerui " If you return to the badminton arena, what do you look forward to or thirst for most ?" at which she replied imperiously " When I return, definitely I want to beat all my opponents ! Since I've elected to persevere and, furthermore, I've been very serious and hardworking in working on my recovery, then my goal is not just to return to the arena, rather to return victorious, otherwise there's no meaning to it."

On the 600th day of her return to the international arena on Wednesday, 11th April, 2018, Li Xuerui will play her very first comeback match. All the very best ! Jiayou!
    [​IMG]

#1210 Justin L, Apr 9, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2018
  11. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Amazing news indeed. I would love to see her back on court in the big arenas.

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Excellent news! Hope she comes back stronger than ever!

13. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Li Xuerui breezed past professional Badminton Player, Nianzu Chen - 21-18 21-16 in 30 minutes

swsh likes this.
  14. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Was it recorded? How does she look on court?

15. Nine Tailed Fox

chubby as usual.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Nearly two years.

Footballers need about 9 months.

17. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Haha that’s mean, you know what I meant. Is she moving well? Hitting confidently?

18. Nine Tailed Fox

It's not mean. It's what it is. I like her tallish chubby figure. It's unique.

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2018-04-12/doc-ifyzeyqa8669328.shtml

Li Xuerui in her opening match with Chen Nianzu yesterday said:" It's been a long time since I've been the centre of attention, really felt nervous, I've never been so nervous before, hahaha."

In yesterday's match, she misjudged the backline several times, even her forehand attacking shots went long many times. She admitted frankly, what she lacked most upon returning to competition is her feel for the game. She said," Actually, everything remains the same as far as playing in tournament is concerned, the arena, the court, the umpiring, linejudging, etc, it's just that I've been away so long, it felt strange, most directly is the feeling of uncertainty when I stand on court. I hope to regain that feeling of old again as quickly as possible." Even her parents were in the stadium to cheer and root for her.

While her opening match victory is good news, no doubt, at this moment , Li Xuerui is clearly not in her best form at all. It's just that Li Xuerui is fully aware of what she has to do going forward. Perhaps her opponent, Chen Nianzu's words, says it all at the post-match interview:" I feel that Li Xuerui has not reached her top form, I wish for her to win the championship."
    [​IMG]

#1219 Justin L, Apr 12, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
    pcll99 likes this.
  20. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I suspect Li Xuerui's R2 victory today over Fan Mengyan by the score of 21-16, 21-14, in 28 minutes (it was 21-18, 21-16 in 29 minutes against Chen Nianzu in R1), followed the same pattern, i.e. not a convincing win and error-prone.

Her Quarterfinal opponent tomorrow against ex-CHN player, Deng Joy Xuan, now playing for HKSAR, should pose a stronger challenge. Let's see how it goes.