Li Ning Rackets Fan Club :)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by tckang, Sep 16, 2009.

1. Eastfield

Eastfield Regular Member

I'm kind of confused about the N99. What is the flex rating? Li-Ning advertises it as soft, however some here say it's stiff and Paul Stewart calls it medium stiff.. Like, how does it compare to the N9II, the N7II, N90IV etc?

2. Eastfield

Eastfield Regular Member

Noone's got an answer to this?

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I have owned an N99 for a couple of weeks and now play an N9II regularly. From memory, the N99 is stiffer than N9II but not by much. Since N7II is mostly described as stiffer than N9II, it should in theroy be around the same as N99. I have an N7II coming in about a week so I will be able to see for myself.

Eastfield likes this.
  4. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Similar to how I felt. Never found the n99 to be very stiff. Just stiff for Li Ning standards.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

5. llrr

llrr Regular Member

I wonder why LN doesn't make extra stiff racquets..

6. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Maybe they do? Just for pros hahaha

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Let's not go down that road of myth and hearsay once more please...

Before I got used to the N9II I was wondering the same thing. It's hard to describe, but somehow the flex in Li-Ning rackets is not an unpleasant one. I couldn't bare too much flex in other brands' rackets before since they were all lacking in feel and precision and for some it felt like the head has so much lag on quick swings. I found the BS12 horrible in that regard for example. I can't put the finger on the actual reason, but the N9II (and same goes for N80II) doesn't show those downsides but instead provides all the ups of a little more flex.

But tbh, I would still define the N99 as stiff. Not DZS- or JS10-like stiff, but still stiff. Definitely the stiffest Li-Ning I've swung yet.

8. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    But mythology is awesome hahahahahaha

9. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Maybe LN recognised that they don't need to produce super stiff racquets. After all LD won everything with N90, SYQ just won AE18 with N7. Not to mention all the doubles players using similarly medium flexible LN racquets.

10. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I was using stiff to super stiff rackets for years. I think everybody made the mistake, like me in the past, to have a significant preference for rackets and have a rejection and prejudice of rackets which seem not to fit. Bloody mistake.

Some specs and set-ups have a disrepute at BC. Like BG65, soft feeling strings, flexible shafts, head light, light rackets and low tension. How often did I read a suggestion of ZForce II or BG80...and how often suggestions by people who just know the rackets from the specs.

I discovered, that the performance of the rackets mean more than any sheets or specs. Even brands give wrong statements but like a taboo "if it is mid flex" everybody runs away. I can say that even equal rackets in specs don't perform the same and for Yonex, the stiffness is necessary to get the same solid feel like from other brands. I suggest to record yourself with 60fps or more. The myth of overflexing the rackets is not often the case. It's the different timing and lag which makes it different. Especially when you are used to not flex a too stiff racket for you over years.

I can say that flexible rackets don't feel horrible or are a bad thing, but recordings at 120fps told me that even a JS10 flex in the right hands. ;)

robfitsy likes this.
  11. tjiew

tjiew Regular Member

Business Analyst
    My rule of thumb is as long as you have strong wrist and arm, you can use any type of rackets. Hehehe

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

12. robfitsy

robfitsy Regular Member

It's just people believe and parrot the marketing that stiff is best... Higher tension is better... etc...

ucantseeme likes this.
  13. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    I just believe that I like stiff and high tensions hahahahaha. Everyone else can go do their own **** and stop asking for help

ucantseeme and Okaharu like this.
  14. Eastfield

Eastfield Regular Member

Well that wasn't a very thought-out comment, was it?

Saru and robfitsy like this.
  15. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    There's a difference. I thought it out. I just decided I didn't care if anyone cared or not because at the end of the day you're gonna find out what works for you and doesn't. I've always been relatively neutral in my advice. I do slam some brand for certain rackets because I think they truly deserve it. Especially older YY stuff. Despite the few guys here and there on the forum getting lucky with their arcsabers, for example, at 30lbs. My own money disagrees along with my experiences with other players. The rackets perform fantastic, but they just don't last at such tensions.

16. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Great comment. I hate these threads, too where the BC nanoscientists talk about µg in terms of head weight and µm of more or less flex, when a beginner opens a thread, confused by the sheets and charts. :D Buy or ask a mate to try is the only way to find out.

Saru, s_mair and Ch1k0 like this.
  17. decoy

decoy Regular Member

This is only tengentially related. But I've got a Li Ning Force 17 racquet. It's not an N series so it probably slipped under the radar, but it's the stiffest racquet I've held that Li Ning produced.

I haven't played with it yet, but it also feels quite heavy. I should try it soon.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

18. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    I think flex is largely personal preference. You need to be able to flex the racket to generate power, if it's too stiff you won't generate good shots. I find too much flex uncomfortable on my arm, so I tend to go for slightly stiffer rackets.

19. lostdata

lostdata Regular Member

289542_o.jpg

i' m so happy with N50 right now ^^

swsh likes this.
  20. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I had been offered an opportunity to get a new racket from HK without paying import tax or customs (hooray to travel luggage!), so I didn't think twice and went for an N7II. And since I didn't really fancy the "standard" colors, I ordered the Setiawan Signature limited Edition. And after 6 loooong weeks waiting for my courier to bring it over, it finally arrived yesterday. And once more, I'm stunned by the design and paint job quality. And since I haven't seen any pictures of the Setiawan signature model in here yet, here are some pics for the gallery (click to enlarge):

IMG_2012.JPG IMG_2014.JPG IMG_2015.JPG IMG_2016.JPG

Colors are very much like the green/bronze N9II but with matte black/anthracite instead of the bronze bits.

Head shape and frame profile seem to be identical to the N9II. As expected, the shaft feels a tiny tad stiffer and the head carries a little less weight. Funny thing is that on dry swings, they both feel very, very similar.

Measured dry specs (unstrung with factory grip, plastic removed)
    Total weight: 87.61 g
    Headweight: 36.62 g
    Balance Point: 298 mm

So yeah, this thing is really light for a 3U spec'd racket. If I'm lucky, I'll have the next chance to take it on court on Thursday and needless to say that I'm looking forward to seeing for myself how it plays.

#4340 s_mair, Mar 26, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    Saru, swsh, Rob3rt and 2 others like this.