Li Ning No. 1 String - Anyone using it?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Charlie-SWUK, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Dezlets

Dezlets Regular Member

Hey bro.

would you mind if you could share on your opinion on No.1 & No3 & Aerosonic?

2. kaffars

kaffars Regular Member

Geologist
    Just wondering people who ordered from MBS or any other HK store have you been charged for like handling/import tax/VAT etc? Either in small packets or reels?

3. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    None for anything but new rackets. Old rackets have skipped past the customs as well but I'm not from the UK so I wouldn't know.

4. Razor-BladE

Razor-BladE Regular Member

Personal Trainer
    Bought small packets and reels from MBS, rackets from sportshorizon and badmintonbay (not sure where they get shipped from) and never had to pay any additional fees.

---------------------------

Played with LN1 again today, it's been a little while as I was playing around with BG80, Aerosonic, GT5, 64TX and some hybrid setups. Strung it at 30lbs (my usual is ~27lbs), and wow it's nice! Definitely LN1 is my go-to for sure and the power when hit cleanly is niceeee. I don't remember LN1 at 27lbs playing this good.

#1064 Razor-BladE, Jul 16, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
  5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It all depends on two things:
    1) value of the sent goods
    2) your luck

General regulations for the UK regarding 1) can be found here in a nice and compact overview: https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty

2) is a lot more tricky. First of all, it depends on what value and content of the shipment the seller is declaring outside the package. A lot of shops just write "gift" and a ridiculously low value on it. Of course, the guys and gals at customs are aware of this and randomly pick also these packages, open them and actually check the content value. So normally, the smaller the package, the higher the chance that it just slips through unchecked. Strings normally don't attract too much attention. It's a different thing with rackets and shoes since there is also a certain chance for them to be fake and hence completely prohibited for import.

If the seller declares the correct value and if it's above the limits you can find in the link, you will get charged with either VAT only or additional custom fees respectively.

kaffars likes this.
  6. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Any comments of the differences between the normal and CN versions?

7. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I currently have one reel each. And for the life of me, I cannot find any difference. Color, texture, thickness and both feel during stringing and on the racket (at least up to 28 lbs.) are absolutely identical. My advice: Go for the cheaper version.

llrr likes this.
  8. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Same here.

9. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Not sure where you get this in reels, as nobody sells it here so I have to import it from MBS for example, except they only sell in packets. The question is, what do I want to try, no.1 or no.3? Any other differences besides one being 0.02mm thinner? Will be stringing at 31lbs. Don't mind the durability just want to try one of these strings because of too much hype from you guys :p

10. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Stick to no.1 imo. No.3 was unimpressive for some reason.

Honestly the difference is so minimal financially I’d still choose the black reel. Seems to have better QC as I’ve had no failures at 34 and I’m almost done with the reel.

11. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Can you elaborate on what you mean by unimpressive? Also, how do these feel at 30+lbs?

Where are you getting your reels from?

12. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Import is the only reasonable option for Germany too. The local prices for that string (and especially the reels) are just ridiculous. Look at either MBS or e78 (https://e78.us/LI-NING-AXJJ072?search=no. 1).

swsh and llrr like this.
  13. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Thanks :) e78 is not bad with the e-packet shipping option, reels are cheaper than packets from MBS. I think the next strings I'm going to try are BG85 and No.1. Are there any quality issues with any of the colours?

14. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    No.3 didn't feel special to me. It's been awhile so I can't remember why if I'm honest. No.1 really seems to be perfect at 32 for me and doesn't lose power even above that. While usually strings aren't that good at higher tensions this seems to be made for it. It's a medium hard string with a slightly rubbery feel (nowhere as extreme as AB) that has great durability for the diameter.

I got my reel from MBS while the Yonex reels were from E78.

I'd say stick to Yellow and White. I personally prefer the yellow but it's pretty much psychological at this point. Absolutely stay away from black if I must answer from personal experience with the colours.

15. kaffars

kaffars Regular Member

Geologist
    I've read throughout the thread that white/yellow are slightly better in terms of quality. An ideas about the red one?

16. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I tried it and went back to yellow. I know people like different colours but I generally stick to yellow for everything as it seems to be the superior choice most of the time. Especially with texture in some of them like BG80 for example.

17. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Don't buy red. The outer layer seems to be very fragile and when that's gone, it's a matter of seconds until the string snaps. Still, the durability was alright, but from what I read here, other colors will be better in that way (iirc, blue was said to have fragile coating as well)... I just didn't try any other colors, because I prefer BG80 and G-Tone 5 so far. I might give it another chance, but first BG80 Power gets another chance and after that, there are some new strings by other brands to try...

18. llrr

llrr Regular Member

It seems like the same general case of lighter colours = better quality. Thx guys.

19. ashers888

ashers888 Regular Member

Hi fellas,

I'm looking for a new main string to use as my old one Ashaway Zymax 66 (orange) has run out. I have BG65 as well but find it a bit meh in addition to Ultimax 66 but the string snaps way too easily. My Thruster K Falcon was originally strung with a NBG99 at 27lbs. I usually have my strings at 27lbs.

I would like to hear your opinion on which string I should go for the Aerobite or Li Ning No1 I should go for (Having read a few pages of your discussion)? I've included some info about my playing style in order to aid your decision for which string I should go for.

My playing style in doubles is the aggressive smasher but not afraid to throw in a slow drop as opponents do realise I can hit it fairly hard. Decent defender and driver and fairly mobile! Only 22 so age on my side lol.

Singles-wise (which I'm more geared towards now) having watched Kento and Lin Dan a lot. I'd prefer to maintain control over the rally, moving my opponent from side to side before getting the opportunity to really smack one down (although I sometimes can't resist going for one when it really isn't the right opportunity!). Like to hit sliced straight drops from the forehand side and the odd drive to keep my opponents guessing aside from the usual shots from the forehand. Prefer to hit sliced cross or straight drops from the backhand side rather than the straight clear. Net shots I can put tight and close to the net but not able to put lots of spin on them (yet) but working one that.

Hope this helps.

I would very much appreciate your opinions and suggestions. Thanks! :)

20. tburna

tburna New Member

the No1 have good power but the stringbed is really slippery

visor likes this.