Li Ning N90IV/900 and N9II FHF Ed.

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Okaharu, Aug 31, 2017.

1. llrr

llrr Regular Member

If someone can summarise what each technology Li Ning means that would be fantastic... What exactly is Airstream vs BreakFree vs turbocharging?

As for N90iv, the bp is apparently 292mm, which is borderline head light imo..

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Dunno what turbocharging is.

Break free is the pointed frame shape like on the n90-3. Dynamic optimum is a variation on it where it twists half way through.

Air stream uses a boxy frame with slits in the least aerodynamic places to make them more aerodynamic, like the n99.

3. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Seems out of my comfort zone entirely but all those marketing ploys by Li Ning are asking me to give it a shot.

“Every spot is a sweet spot, faster by 4.1 percent, most advanced blah blah”. And the paint job isn’t too shabby either..

But then N9ii specs literally sound perfect except for the extra flex compared to everything I’ve owned previously. Meh.

4. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I wouldn't believe the % stuff too much

Airstream = vents
    upload_2018-3-18_22-6-12.png

Turbo Charging = Rim on the inside of the frame turns into rim on the outside of frame
    upload_2018-3-18_22-7-17.png

3D Break Free = trapezium shape all the way around
    upload_2018-3-18_22-8-32.png

#204 Charlie-SWUK, Mar 18, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2018
  5. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I don't but they do play tricks on your mind somewhat. The what if part is what's the real issue.

Oh well if 90iv is worse feeling than N9ii it doesn't have a place in my bag anyway. Just sucks a bit since I can't find many if any reviews about it.

6. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I ignore literally all of that, and just use rackets I like the feeling of and can hit well with.

Anyway, the N90 line is now Chen Long's line, with LD using Yonex. It's only natural the next racket would be more to Chen Long's specs.

7. robfitsy

robfitsy Regular Member

Second one is turbo charging design, not D.O.Frame

yenyesoh likes this.
  8. llrr

llrr Regular Member

What about N90ii and N90iii? LD never used those either (or has he). I have a feeling if I was to take the plunge on one LN it's either the original N90 or N9ii.

9. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I've changed it after looking up some more rackets. I've only seen DO on N7/N9, so I thought that's what it was :D

10. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    He never used them, but they were designed with his specifications in mind.

Li Ning tends to design their rackets around specific players, like the N7 and N9 were designed around Cai Yun and FHF. They don't always end up using them though. The N80 was designed around either Chen Long or JOJ.

Sometimes when no player picks up that style of racket, the line gets dropped, like the N70/77/10.

Re the N90:
    When I injured my right arm and had to switch to my left, I absolutely loved the N90. It has enough weight to make shots work almost by default. Because I was using my non-dominant arm, it wasn't easy to swing fast and hard with precision, so being able to slow down my shots a bit was really helpful. It also has amazing feedback, and a really big sweetspot...

However... I kind of don't like it with my right arm. I hit pretty accurately with my right, and I can swing faster without much worry of missing or misshitting. My left wasn't good with drive shots regardless, so I didn't put too much pace on them, I'd either usually covert it to a clear or a net shot, so just making contact was fine. With my right, drives are a stronger area, and the N90 was simply too slow for me there.

As a result, I have 3 N90s in my bag, but when I use my right arm I'm using a Z Speed. So just be aware of what it is you're buying, because I find playing with the N90 polarizing *just based on which hand I'm using*.

P.S people always think I'm crazy when I say I prefer different rackets based on which hand I'm using :D but it's absolutely true

llrr likes this.
  11. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    It is a tad bit different this time around tho since CL is actually using the racket while LD never did.

12. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Lol Charlie the issue is I can only play with one arm! :) I've no idea how you managed to learn to play with both arms unless you injured your right arm so badly that you were basically forced to learn with your left?

13. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Yeah I can understand that but then why make it N90iv? I mean, what makes it the fourth generation of the N90 series.. it makes no sense really. I actually got told that N90iii is stiffer than N90 but I have a feeling N90 is the stiffest in the N90 series?

14. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I did :p there are videos of me playing left handed on this forum somewhere. My point is, you'll either love the N90 or you'll hate it, and it's really hard to say which way that'll go.

90 is their flagship line for their top MS player.

llrr likes this.
  15. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Maybe time for a N90V for SYQ soon.

16. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Stiffness is: N90II > N90 >= N90III

swsh and llrr like this.
  17. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Let's wait for him to win an olympic gold first.. ;)

18. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    Agreed. I honestly thought N90 would be a lot stiffer than it was tbh. Probably the easiest racket to pick up and play with tho atleast to me so I doubt anyone would hate it. Maybe find it slow and cumbersome but nothing more than that.

19. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    And just like that when I was about ready to checkout with my n9ii in the cart, I started sweating profusely and decided to sleep instead. WHat a terrible few days as far as good decision making is concerned.

I'm probably thinking too much.

20. llrr

llrr Regular Member

Try one first then the other? I mean aren't you just buying and selling constantly?