Lets vote for New or Old point system.

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by terry, Sep 20, 2005.

?

Which scoring system do you prefer?

1. Old 15x3 service based scoring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. New 21x3 rally based scoring

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Play Badminton using the Tennis scoring system

Hi xt6666,

Have you played Badminton using the Tennis scoring system?

It's actually quite good... and I enjoy the break and the change of ends after every 2 games. :):):)

So, try it the next time you play Badminton.

Cheers... chris@ccc

2. Pball

Pball Regular Member

Totally agree, the reason for the NSS's existence is just to try to to shorten the time of matches to enable a more foreseeable time schedule for "possible" TV coverage, in the hopes of popularizing (a misnomer IMO, getting more mainstream coverage is more like it) badminton. It was implemented for political reasons and has no real intent to improved the game per se. A sell out, if you will.

With the NSS, as someone mentioned, luck is now a bigger factor. stamina is secondary.

and I don't know how much flak I will draw by saying this, but percentage wise, the people favoring the NSS are usually the weaker players in my experience locally. Not saying exclusively, but most strong players prefer the old system here.

Luckily in most of our club plays, most matches are OSS. And the hi level players only play with the NSS when they are preparing for a match.

Somehow, something is lost from the game with the NSS. :(

regards

3. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    Perhaps I will try it, but I wouldn't take all these breaks...

There are too much breaks in tennis, but that's good for the advertisers...

4. henmd111

henmd111 Regular Member

Orthopedic surgeon
    change

For me the NSS is a good change for the sport, for some it maybe difficult to accept due to the reason that we grew up with the old system, but like all other sports we must adapt to the changes for our sport to evolve. :)

5. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    @henmd111:

You give us no reasons for your opinion...

Why is the NSS a good chance and why do we have to adapt to the changes?
    Why do you think does badminton evolve under the NSS?

6. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    In 500 years' time, Badminton will be played very different

Hi henmd111,

Hear, Hear !!! :):):)

Totally agree with you......

Evolution is essential for our Physical Activities.

Some say that "Thinking Games" like Chess should not be changed.
    But when we talk about "Physical Games", we must evolve.

We are getting fitter and faster as we move with time.

I can imagine in 500 years' time, Badminton will be played very different from how we play it now.

I can't imagine what type of missiles or rackets they will be using. But I know they will be using a different type of scoring system.

Cheers... chris@ccc

7. henmd111

henmd111 Regular Member

Orthopedic surgeon
    my 2 cents...

For me every great sport today is evolving/ changing to the times, players and technology. I think the proponents of the NSS had this in mind, like the previous changes: colored shirts/ shorts from an all white sport, no 13 all setting etc, they wanted to bring badminton to the mainstream. We need to adapt to these changes or else we'll be left behind, who knows they might bring the 15pt setting back in the future... just my 2 cents... :)

#827 henmd111, Jan 10, 2007
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  8. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    But you still don't explain why NSS is better...

Just chance some rules (without a good reason) will not be very effective...

9. henmd111

henmd111 Regular Member

Orthopedic surgeon
    It has its pros and cons but some of my reasons why it is better is that:
    1. its faster (good for the players and fans)
    2. players focus more not to commit errors
    3. somehow narrows the gap between levels, (errors now translate to points automatically.
    cons:
    1.Sometimes I still get confused on where and who is gonna serve...hehe:)

10. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    When you say it's faster do you mean the matches a shorter?
    I mean the matches a shorter, but that's not good for the fans...

I also don't see that number 2 and number 3 ar PROS

Number 2 means the matches a less exciting and number 3 means matches could be close even against weaker players, but on the other hand if you are behind 15-20 the game is nearly over and that's also not really exciting...

BWF/IBF chanced the scoring system to make the length of the matches become more predictable and so perhaps gets broadcasted more often. But in fact here in Germany the World Championchips where broadcasted 2005 under the OSS for 2 hours every day and this year under the NSS there was no broadcasting at all...

And I don't know anyone how really prefers the NSS... They don't hate the NSS, but they don't really like it. Nearly all players I know would like to play with the OSS again...

11. henmd111

henmd111 Regular Member

Orthopedic surgeon
    Faster meaning faster paced

At first I also didnt like the NSS, but after playing with it for a few months now it grew on me. As they say diffrent strokes for diffrent folks... most of the people I know prefer like the NSS. And having a 15-20 advantage in the NSS is not much diffrent from a 10-14 in the OSS, its a game, anything can happen, I've seen matches (NSS) come back from a 9-20 advantage and won, and in the OSS a 1-14 comeback by hoyer larsen. at the end of the day its not the scoring system its how we players play the game :cool:

12. 8 Falcon

8 Falcon New Member

I disagree. At 15-20 down, 1 mistake in 5 points costs you the game whereas at 10-14 down you only lose if you make that mistake on your opponents serve. Massive difference.

13. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    Sure you can come back from a 9-20, but you will have to make 11 points in a row, very very unlikely... I mean when you can make 11 points in a row, why are you trailing 9-20? Not warmed up?

In the OSS when you opponent had match or gamepoint, he had to win 2 points in a row the win the set, you always had a chance to get the service back with one point...

Sure, everything is possible, I also saw LCW making a great 7 point comeback against LD... But, how often will that happend compared with the OSS? Very few times...

But that's what many fans want to see... They want to see their idols fighting back and win the match.

I also play with the NSS since 6 or 7 month, but just because I have to...
    You can't play "official" matches with "wrong" rules... Otherwise I would play with the OSS.

14. henmd111

henmd111 Regular Member

Orthopedic surgeon
    ok, not such a big issue for me though, I just love the game, just giving my 2 cents worth... But for now I guess you have to play with the NSS, hope you enjoy it as we do... :)

15. henmd111

henmd111 Regular Member

Orthopedic surgeon
    True, but in another poit of view, 15-20 down, you dont need to get back a serve, you just need 7 straight points to win 20-22, unlikely?, maybe so, but you'll also need atleast 7 points and 2 service breaks(when your opponent is 1st serve) to win 17-14 from a 10-14 score in the OSS. there is a difference? yes, but as ive said, its how we play the game not the scoring system. :)

16. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    Wow! NSS has reached 20%...

17. 2NDround

2NDround Regular Member

Nah! No big deal. It will reach 99% in twenty years, but what is the point?

18. xt6666

xt6666 Regular Member

Badminton Idol
    The point is, that at the beginning I think just 10% voted for the NSS...

That's why I would like to start a new poll with the same question...

Because you can just vote 1 time, so when you voted too early for the OSS you can't chance anymore...

It would be interessting to see how many people would vote for the NSS in a new poll...

19. thomashek

thomashek Regular Member

i noticed that they change the system, and unluckily enough, I didn't watch much badminton after they changed it. recently, i start to watch it again, in singles I understand how is go.. But for doubles, I am still confused :confused: .. specailly is, who is suppose to serve? :confused:

20. vlkbad

vlkbad Regular Member

It goes both ways -- how about people who have been disillusioned by the NSS and can't change their vote now?

Anyway, strictly for amusement, here's an estimate: I think around the time IBF made the change permanent, NSS was at around 16%, with the OSS votes around 300. This means there were about 60 votes for the NSS at that time. Since then, it has acquired an additional 84 votes, and the OSS has garnered 276. I have never been good at arithmetic, but that looks to me like a current vote share of 23% for the NSS.

I think the reason there hasn't been a new poll is because of the difficulty in phrasing the questions. How does one distinguish between having to play NSS under duress vs playing it because it gives you an advantage vs playing it to train for tournaments vs playing it because you think it is god's gift to badminton?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.