Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龍大)

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by taufik_lin16, Jul 14, 2006.

1. event

event Regular Member

Neither Yoo nor Tan has played together internationally since the Vietnam Open, when they retired after one game. Yoo played in a domestic tournament about a month after that. Not sure about Tan so it's unclear which one of them might have been injured. Yoo's next tournament is the Dubai Int'l Challenge, where he will be there along with the members of 4 Korean 'pro' teams, which all represent cities: Suwon (Yoo's team) and Dangjin are sending men's teams, and Pocheon and Hwasun are sending women's teams. Tan's next tournament is the Macau Open, where he will be playing with Kim Sa Rang.

2. Sdrqaz

Sdrqaz Regular Member

Yongdae/Gijung have entered into the Hong Kong Super 500, where they are in qualifying. If they enter the main draw, they will meet Conrad/Kolding in the first round and Kevin/Marcus (or Boe/Mogensen or Endo/Watanabe) in the quarters

stanleyfm and Sundis like this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I will definitely need to go and take some photos :)

4. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I am waiting for this!!!

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Very interesting, it'd be funny if of all tournaments, this was the one where the Mads' find their form again and win that match :D

samkool likes this.
  6. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

7. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

boon_keng and ant01 like this.
  8. wade

wade Regular Member

They have a chance to face minions in the qf, gonna be interesting if that happen. i think lyd really want to test himself...nothing better than facing the world number one ;)

boon_keng likes this.
  9. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

Seeing them in Macau, I don't think they are properly match fit. At the moment, I don't think they will win.

10. wade

wade Regular Member

I notice LYD seems to work a lot more from the backcourt now, idk why he didnt use dropshot enough and just moving forward

11. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

That’s because KGJ isn’t always making room for him to rotate. Whether it’s because they still aren’t fully synchronised, or if it’s their new playing style, we’ll have to wait and see.

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'm pretty sure they're over that since the LYD/KSH partnership didn't work out as expected, and KSH was a much better back court player than KGJ. You can't really force your favored formation quite as much these days, and trying to do so will often open you up to counter-attacks or lose you the attack.

13. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I don't think its just a case of being match fit, I just don't think that as a pair they have what it takes to beat the minions. LYD is actually still playing a pretty solid game, his serve has improved and he is starting to find his groove. But he is a lot slower than his old-self. Although I think LYD himself is still capable of beating the minions, he needs the right partner with the right attributes to do it and I don't think KJG is that person.

The biggest weakness in this pairing is the lack of a strong effective attack. KJG simply does not have a good enough smash to bring LYD into play. It is neither strong enough or accurate enough to consistently force a weak shot. The minions will just soak it up all day long. Their counter attack and defence is pretty decent but you can't rely on counter attacks and defence all the time, especially if your attack is not that effective.

KJG is also quite slow now, he has noticeably put on quite a bit of weight and seems to struggle at times to sustain a strong attack. I think KJG (and LYD) need to make better use of their smash by going for the side lines more and mixing up the placement of their smashes to try and create openings. Their smash to the body is also a bit too low, which makes it relatively easy for opponents to return. I really don't understand why LYD, after all this time, still insists on smashing straight, at his opponents racket arm, time after time. It does not work and he will tire out. I know that this is a reasonably safe shot that does not expose him to counter attacks so much but if it does nothing, what's the point?

The other thing is, I think LYD really needs to take a leaf out of SBC's book and start to fake some of his net skills/drives with some drops. SBC is so good at generating short lifts from these.

They also need to be careful about their blocks back to the net when they're out of position as the current generation of MD players are quite good at reading this and it's becoming quite obvious when he's going to play them.

Well, I hope LYD/KJG can prove me wrong, like they did against Sonoda/Kamura.

14. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Unlike LYD's previous partners, KJG is actually quite comfortable in the front court and is not a power house smasher like YYS/KSH/JJS. So there is not a huge advantage in swapping positions other than sharing the workload.

15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well dont think it really matters , he wont meet minions more than 3 times next year.

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

As always, this isn't only about that one doubles pair...its a general question. Imop, it's a bit far-fetched to look to LYD to beat the minions though, it's not like his partnership is in great shape or like there was no other pair who could possibly do it...however, I don't think he can do it with KGJ. Too slow, too exploitable, and not a very intense attack imop. Just my 2ct.

17. Ronster

Ronster Regular Member

Can they join the olympics if they qualify as top 2 korean MD pairs as independent players? Is it KBA's decision or is it based on ranking?

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Im almost certain it's KBA's decision. China chose not to send Wang Shixian when they had the WR1-4 and could only send 3, she was #2 at the time iirc.

19. Master

Master Regular Member

It's too early to think about that. The condition inside BKA is another story but IF LYD could deliver good consistent result for 1 year ahead, I think BKA couldn't resist to let them play in Olympics.

It's a long journey...

20. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    And here still am wondering about where the hell has YYS been. Still i think he is needed for LYD to be at his peak game.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6000 using Tapatalk

wade and R20190 like this.